Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2005, 10:14 PM   #1 (Print)
Fuzzybear50

Sima video stabilzer C-200

Does anyone know or care whether the above mentioned item would work in conjunction with Tivo? PPV and HBO have their CGMS-A SIGNALS in place and I can't record from my Tivo.

I would appreciate any comments,
even a simple yes or no.
Fuzzybear50 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 10:35 PM   #2 (Print)
Gregor
Outinsider

Location: Inside, or Outside, it all depends on your frame of refrence.
Discussing signal theft is forbidden here.
Gregor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 10:50 PM   #3 (Print)
lajohn27
Fanboi.. So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor
Discussing signal theft is forbidden here.

The OP isn't discussing signal theft. The post has to do with 'Macrovision' and 'Copyright limitation' on recordings.

Which may also be banned here, I don't know.

As discussion progresses in any TCF thread where the thread resembles trolling from the first post; the likelihood of the original poster bringing up stock data nears 1.
lajohn27 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 11:20 PM   #4 (Print)
Fuzzybear50

I don't think the question ever mentions signal theft. I am aware of the Macrovision and copyright protections. I just want to know whether the Sima product will ENHANCE the signal through Tivo.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:39 AM   #5 (Print)
lajohn27
Fanboi.. So what?

The answer would depend on what 'source' you are using to get signal to the box. If for example you are using a cable box connected thru composite or SVHS cables, then in THEORY, the SIMA CT-2 or CT-200 should work.

If you are connecting cable directly to the RF input of the box. Then no, it won't work.

As discussion progresses in any TCF thread where the thread resembles trolling from the first post; the likelihood of the original poster bringing up stock data nears 1.
lajohn27 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 11:38 AM   #6 (Print)
Justin Thyme

This issue is related to the question of recording such premium content using a dvd recorder. Recently manufactured dvd recorders nowdays also obey the CGMS-A and macrovision flags, because it is required as part of their macrovision license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajohn27
The answer would depend on what 'source' you are using to get signal to the box. If for example you are using a cable box connected thru composite or SVHS cables, then in THEORY, the SIMA CT-2 or CT-200 should work.
I agree with lajohn. In theory with the composite or svideo connectors, it should work fine because from what I have read what it does (among many many other things) is eradicate information in the vertical blanking interval where the CGMS-A and Macrovision bits live.

An AVS poster confirms that at least one of the Sima's takes care of the problem.
Quote:
HBO On Demad - I've heard that, but do't have any trouble making SD DVDs from it. I have seen where some Sony DVD recorders won't record ANYTHING from an 8300 (says it is copy protected) and I know, for a fact, that the use of a Sima GoDVD takes care of that problem.

I can't confirm for a fact that it works, since I don't have any of these premium services, nor do I own a Sima. I know there a lot of questions whether this sort of thing is legal or not and cannot recommend whether you should do this or not do this. They sell these GoDVD things at BestBuy and they have a liberal return policy, so if you aren't satisfied with what it does, then you can return it.

Last edited by Justin Thyme : 12-29-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Justin Thyme is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 03:05 PM   #7 (Print)
Fuzzybear50

Thanks Justen.
After I started this thread, I found a very long but informative thread regarding macrovison, CGMS-A, and the occasional red flags tivo is putting on shows for deletion after a specified time frame.
After reading that thread, I thought it was ridiculous that "Gregor" would scold me for asking a question that been beaten to death by far more knowledgeable people.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:18 PM   #8 (Print)
Justin Thyme

I hope it doesn't get beaten to death again.

I can't speak for anyone that scolded you. Maybe it was a misunderstanding or whatever- there are occaisional visitors here who do ask about banned subjects. There is a lot of sensitivity about it because of liability issues and folks here are rightly protective of trying to keep all the information being exchanged legit.

It is true that the content industry is really freaked out about the impact of high capacity digital storage on their businesses. And understandibly so. There definately is a lot of theft of their material going on. Just go to a bazzar in any country and count the number of counterfeit Movies and albums on disk or tape. Just because money is not changing hands in most of the cases of illegal copying doesn't make something legal either.

But as you and I know, there is a lot of things that Hollywood would like everyone to think is illegal copying which many others believe is fair. There are folks in the content industry that believe that many of Tivo's advanced functions are illegal and are trying to undermine the FCC's power to shield innovators from the excesses of dominant players abusing their market power. Where that line is drawn is for the courts and our representatives in congress to work out.

I think everyone wants Hollywood to keep on producing great films and we all know they can't do that if no one pays them for what they make.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:22 PM   #9 (Print)
ltkern

I have a SIMA CT-2 connected between my TIVO and DVD recorder and it does allow me to burn my HBO TIVO recordings to DVD (I had not been able to do this without the SIMA)
ltkern is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:01 PM   #10 (Print)
Justin Thyme

Thanks for the confirmation. I wonder if you have a Cable box and have hooked it up between the cable box and the Tivo. I don't know HBO- does such a setup allow you to record to Tivo the different flavours of HBO programming? PPV, video on demand, etc?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #11 (Print)
Fuzzybear50

Well....I am really getting pissed off with this crap. I tried today to record a couple of movies off HBO that are at least 7 years old and the same aggravating message popped up!

TNT, PBS, AMC, FOX....it doesn't matter, the same copyright violation comes up. I will try the Sima and if it doesn't work, then I guess I take my $600.00 recorder back and try a unit with Tivo built in and see if that will work!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:54 PM   #12 (Print)
Justin Thyme

I have seen them lower priced on ebay- like $26 or so. But you'd have to wait a while to snag one at that price and it would be a no return kind of deal.