THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-09-2004, 01:16 PM   #1 (Print)
iceisles

"Amish In The City" To Air Despite Protests

Series to begin July 28

From CNN:

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A reality TV series about Amish teenagers exploring the world beyond their community and faith will debut this month despite protests by members of Congress.

"Amish in the City" begins with a special two-hour episode July 28, the UPN network announced Thursday.

The series will offer a "unique look at the Amish journey of discovery" in which young adults leave their spiritually devout, rural communities to sample urban life, UPN said.

The network's foremost concern was to treat the teenagers "with the highest respect," UPN entertainment president Dawn Ostroff said in a statement.

When the series was announced earlier this year, 51 Republican lawmakers -- some representing districts with Amish communities -- deemed it exploitive and called on CBS, which oversees UPN for parent company, Viacom, to shelve the idea.

"The mentality reminds me of the old sideshows in the circus," Rep. Joe Pitts, R-Pennsylvania, said in February. "And it is wrong to do this to a minority group like the Amish."

According to UPN, the series will chronicle the experiences of five young Amish men and women living in a Hollywood Hills home with six other roommates.

Among the landmarks: A visit to the beach, a resort island and a Hollywood movie premiere. The city roommates include "a fashion-forward party girl, a swim teacher and a club promoter."

Members of the Amish sect, which is concentrated in rural Pennsylvania, Indiana and Ohio, are known for dressing simply and avoiding most technology. But at age 16 they're allowed to break free of their strict code before deciding whether they want to be baptized as adults.

During the period of "rumspringa," a Pennsylvania Dutch term that means "running around," the teens often date, drink, drive cars and move away from home. Most then return to the faith.

CBS hit a similar barrage of criticism for its proposal to make a real-life version of "The Beverly Hillbillies" in which an Appalachian family would spend a year in a mansion.

The series hasn't come to fruition. An NBC plan for a similar show was dropped.
iceisles is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-09-2004, 01:18 PM   #2 (Print)
SparkleMotion
Hot Patootie!

"Ye Real Worlde"
SparkleMotion is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-09-2004, 01:20 PM   #3 (Print)
Tsiehta

Funny, I remember a PBS documentary covering this very topic. Where was the outcry then?

Old 07-09-2004, 01:25 PM   #4 (Print)
iceisles

I think PBS was cut more slack because the feeling was that they weren't going to exploit the Amish strictly for financial gain.
iceisles is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-09-2004, 04:12 PM   #5 (Print)
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

Re: "Amish In The City" To Air Despite Protests

Quote:
Originally posted by iceisles
"The mentality reminds me of the old sideshows in the circus," Rep. Joe Pitts, R-Pennsylvania, said in February.
As if we're not getting enough of that on all sides of this year's election.
Fustanella is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-09-2004, 04:17 PM   #6 (Print)
dcheesi

If these kids are supposed to venture out into the real world anyway, what's so bad about putting them on TV? Unless of course they try make some kind of "Temptation Island" game-show thing out of it...

Oh well, at least they have one advantage over other reality TV participants: they don't have to worry about their friends&family watching the show and seeing everything they've done!

Old 07-09-2004, 04:23 PM   #7 (Print)
TreborPugly
Unreal!

I grew up in Amish country, and they can exploit those teenagers as much as they want. Amish teens are just about as wild as they get, and if the Amish choose not to control their kids, then they can live with the consequences.

Obviously these kids are getting paid, and probably won't even return to the Amish community. (as in the PBS special, some of the kids they followed did not return)