TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

View Poll Results: How Important is This to You?
It's so important that I'd pay extra for it. 32 7.66%
It's important but I wouldn't pay extra for it. 194 46.41%
Not important, but I'd probably use it if it was free. 133 31.82%
I'd probably never use it one way or the other. 59 14.11%
Voters: 418. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2002, 06:02 PM   #1 (Print)
timf

The Screen Saver Thread

Below are some of the previous threads on this subject, but if you have something to add, please use this thread.

screen saver for "pause" feature
Screen Saver needed for Tivo!
timf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-22-2002, 06:08 PM   #2 (Print)
robertwallace
Advanced for my age

You missed the thread about "The Screen Savers need to get their act together and send reliable episode info to Tribune".

On to your subject: I think a screen saver would be a nice addition, but I wouldn't pay extra for it and I wouldn't want any Replay-style advertisements used.

When I know I'm going to be away for a bit, but don't want to shut things down, I just pause TiVo on a black screen (after one of the many fade-to-black transitions in shows and between commercials).

Robert

robertwallace is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-22-2002, 08:24 PM   #3 (Print)
Breacagan

The projection TV manufacturers need to get their act together. It's not just TiVo that causes burn-in--a PlayStation can accomplish the same thing, as can a bright channel logo bug in the corner of the screen. It appears that Sony now has the patent (and probably the circuitry) to do the job right:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...RS=PN/6,313,878

What he said. --bsnelson
What he said. --mrpurple
* MarkovBot threatens 404's bicycle with a bic pen
Breacagan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-15-2002, 11:32 PM   #4 (Print)
lethar

visual output

I'd love it if there was some kind of graphical output for the music channels... sort of like a winamp plugin...

For that matter, it shouldn't be too hard to PORT winamp plugins to run on a tivo box...
lethar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-15-2002, 11:40 PM   #5 (Print)
cbnCA

Re: visual output

Quote:
Originally posted by lethar
I'd love it if there was some kind of graphical output for the music channels... sort of like a winamp plugin...

Well, it isn't WinAmp but Dish Network DOES have scrolling text with the title of the music playing if you're on a music channel. Not only avoids pixel burn, but tells you what you're hearing.

Some cable systems, I gather, do this too.

Owner of a Series 1 Phillips (and AVS member) since Y2k
with a machine since upgraded from 30H -> 180GB
cbnCA is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-22-2002, 12:13 PM   #6 (Print)
rbird
uses tivo "wrong"

If implemented, this absolutely HAS to be an option that can be TURNED OFF if desired. The Dishplayer has a screen saver that is very poorly implemented. When the unit was first introduced, there was a big push to REMOVE it, it was so awful.

Plus, there may be legitimate reasons for leaving a paused image up on the screen.

Bob
rbird is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-03-2002, 08:50 AM   #7 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Send a message via ICQ to megazone Send a message via AIM to megazone Send a message via Yahoo to megazone

Quote:

Wow, if Jeff Minter wrote VLM3 for the TiVo I might actually *use* the music channels my cable service includes.

For those who don't know, Jeff 'Yak' Minter wrote the original VLM (Virtual Light Machine) for the Atari JagCD add-on for the Atari Jaguar, and the VLM2 for the Nuon chipset used in some DVD players. I keep meaning to buy a Nuon just for that and Tempest 3000 - also by Yak.

megazone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-09-2002, 06:12 AM   #8 (Print)
sclick

A simple screen saver that was configurable (enable/disable and options for activation delay or perhaps even a hot key on the TIVO remote) would be of HUGE benefit to projection TV owners (a steadily increasing bunch).

Whether or not RPTV's are fundamentally flawed is sort of a moot point. They can be an incredible device, but burn-in is a very real issue. It is all too easy to accidentally leave TIVO paused for extended periods of time.

I don't see how such a feature could hurt anyone, as long as it was made configurable, and it would save RPTV owners some worry.

As a new RPTV owner, this is my number one feature request.
sclick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-09-2002, 09:57 AM   #9 (Print)
trojanrabbit
Second-Shifted

Part of the "burn in" problem attributed to RPTV lies in the way that many sets are misadjusted from the factory. The brightness settings are way too high. The CRT's in these sets are driven much harder than a direct-view TV. Remember that the picture you see is coming from a CRT that is maybe only 5" diagonal. Think how much brighter it needs to be in order to be projected to that larger size.

It is highly suggested that you obtain a DVD such as 'Video Essentials' or 'AVIA' and set your brightness/contrast/sharpness settings using these. I've heard that usually takes care of the 'burn-in' problem.

"Throw it away? I was months filling that thing up!"
Gamertag trojanrabbit56
trojanrabbit is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-03-2002, 07:15 PM   #10 (Print)
Lynxpro

Send a message via AIM to Lynxpro
SETI@home on TiVo...nuff said
Lynxpro is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-04-2002, 12:00 AM   #11 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Send a message via ICQ to megazone Send a message via AIM to megazone Send a message via Yahoo to megazone
Quote:
Originally posted by Lynxpro
SETI@home on TiVo...nuff said

Yeah, 'nuff said - yuck.

megazone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2002, 10:10 AM   #12 (Print)
gpmoore

A screen saver should be a feature of a 10,000 TV but it is hard for the TV to detect static images is my guess as to why that isn't an option. It is much more logical that the screen saver would come from the SOURCE (DVD, TiVo, Etc).

This is a big deal for Plasma and RPTV owners who don't want their investment ruined.

Old 05-30-2002, 10:04 AM   #13 (Print)
Cspot
"What's live TV?"

I went with embeem's screensaver.........since I very rarely watch live tv, and I pause playback often enough....the 30 second screen blank is a welcomed addition to my /var/hack/bin directory.

How about an option to display .jpgs????...

Or maybe you could toss the source file(s) into your src dir........

HDR312-3.0 (160gb lba48)
TiVo<->TiVo<->TiVo<->TiVo!
Cspot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-28-2002, 01:35 PM   #14 (Print)
massimj

I wouldn't't mind a screen saver that would toggle between statistical data, as in how many hours of programming on on the unit, how many left, time to the next recording to start, show what will be recorded next. Maybe a a cool feature where it takes the data it uses to record what it thinks you would like when there is disk space and it's doing nothing else. Instead of waiting to record it, show the title on the screen, along with the description, show a few key words underneath that are used to make the selection, and now for the cool part: Let you hit a button to record it when it will come on, and let you edit the keywords it is using to control the selections so you can influence the selection process manually. How cool is that? Imagine, nothing is on and it is Sunday afternoon and you have nothing that you really want to watch. You bring up preview mode and the process starts, you can hit the next button to speed it along, and control the time it waits to go to the next selection automatically. if you hit the Record This button, it quickly brings up the next suggestion. I t could double as a screen saver if you leave it in the menu selection too long without hitting a button. push live TV, or TIVO to get out of it.

How about a way to set two points, then delete everything between them, have it go into a packing mode to regain the time of the deleted spots. Of course, I am speaking of commercial removal.

I'm sorry if some of this has been suggested before.. Joe
massimj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-19-2003, 07:45 AM   #15 (Print)
quinlan

How about a screen saver that won't pick a show that has 3 thumbs down? I might be watching my TiVo late at night, leave it sitting in a menu, and 30 minutes later I get to hear some really annoying infomercial.

Or how about muting the sound when showing TV to prevent burn-in?!

Last edited by quinlan : 02-19-2003 at 07:54 AM.
quinlan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2003, 11:28 AM   #16 (Print)
doctorc

I would love this too. Especially with the new HMO. I've got a 120" wide screen (front projection) that I would like to have something -- anything -- displayed on besides just the boring text for the title of the song etc... Even something lame like a starfield screensaver or something... Tivo, Please ??

Quote:

For that matter, it shouldn't be too hard to PORT winamp plugins to run on a tivo box...
doctorc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2003, 11:57 AM   #17 (Print)
randy98mtu

Re: Re: visual output

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorc
I would love this too. Especially with the new HMO. I've got a 120" wide screen (front projection) that I would like to have something -- anything -- displayed on besides just the boring text for the title of the song etc... Even something lame like a starfield screensaver or something... Tivo, Please ??

I'm sure this is going to become a huge request (at least amongst HMO/MP3 users) I have a 1 month old RPTV and this may become a dealbreaker for me. At a minimum it seems like it should be possible to float the box/ID info around the screen like the basic WinXP screen saver. Though I like the idea of having the TiVo guy up there somewhere moving around. Put the ID tag info on his chest and move him around the screen. Something! PLEASE?!?

Randy
randy98mtu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2003, 12:18 PM   #18 (Print)
doctorc

It would be cool if Tivo could (or maybe has?) release a developer kit so that someone with enough technical knowledge could do this. I don't want to 'hack' my TiVo just to get this feature though -- it would have to be an officially supported one. Anything though -- anything other than just that static box on the screen.
doctorc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-08-2003, 02:23 PM   #19 (Print)
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Why not just set up a slide show in HMO and leave your TiVo set to display that?

All that is left is to have an option to automatically time out to a designated slide show instead of to Live TV.

The manual for HMO suggests that music and slideshows may be playable simultaneously in a later version.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
HTH is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-14-2003, 04:19 AM   #20 (Print)
p9653

If TiVo doesn't add a screensaver and your TV is damaged as a result, there have been class action lawsuits of similar nature. I'd hate to see it go this way, but if TiVo doesn't listen to its customer base, it might.

Old 06-18-2003, 09:06 AM   #21 (Print)
voripteth
User Advocate

I would like to see a screen saver work the same way that my DVD player does. If the unit is paused for more than two minutes it reduces the brightness and contrast of the picture by 50%. Pressing any button will restore the screen to full brightness/contrast.

Old 06-19-2003, 03:11 PM   #22 (Print)
HTH
No Avatar Selected

Ah, the slideshow method may fail if there are difficulties retrieving the next image over the network.

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:18 PM   #23 (Print)
JackShadow

Now that the HMO gives us the ability to play audio only over the TiVo a Screen Saver is even more important. Even if you just move the Song Info Box around the screen every few minutes, that would be enough. Since I don't have a tuner attached to my TV I can't turn it off and still hear the music. It should have been a feature of the HMO from the beginning.
JackShadow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2003, 08:34 AM   #24 (Print)
mustanz

Where is TIVO replies

I think we have killed this subject and it is time for TIVO to reply to our requests. Where are they?
mustanz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-28-2003, 01:25 PM   #25 (Print)
NailStorm

My UTV had a screensaver and it worked excellent. It would kick in under the following situations

1) Left in Guide or any other UTV menu
2) End of playback
3) Paused playback

I have a RPTV and I really miss this. I can't believe TIVO doesn't have it. I'm finding for a dying DVR (UTV) it had many more features that TIVO had. Tivo really needs to get their act together.
NailStorm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-28-2003, 04:06 PM   #26 (Print)
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

Its needed, And just make sure it shows up on the Directv dvr with tivo for people with HMO, it would be nice feature to have a slidshow going as a screensaver for thouse lucky people that can have it.

The screensaver just needs to be somthing simple, on my dvd player, its just a bobbing APEX logo. you could maybe have a tivo dance that bobs around or somthing.

My iTunes registry
Fresh new geeky Mac site, iOnMac!
tomo_kun is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2003, 12:26 PM   #27 (Print)
NailStorm

On the UTV its just the UTV logo moving around the screen. I don't care what they do, but it really needs one.
NailStorm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-30-2003, 02:34 AM   #28 (Print)
niea_7
No longer Avatarless

Send a message via AIM to niea_7 Send a message via MSN to niea_7
TiVo definitely needs a screensaver. Something simple like the TiVo guy floating around would do the trick. I would prefer the timeout be user-definable because I'd want mine to kick in under 5 min.

Old 12-01-2003, 06:54 PM   #29 (Print)
HTH
No Avatar Selected

How about the TiVo-0 animation running in an infinite loop without sound?

Do the Series1 units still have the unused interstitial animations on their hard drives, or did those get purged?

Old 02-03-2004, 06:24 PM   #30 (Print)
willbhome
And happy to be

The burn-in I've experienced is that white frame on the menus, and the DirectTV logo to the top left. I was very disappointed to discover this. Maybe if Tivo would have those elements change color from time to time, this could've been prevented?
willbhome is offline Report Bad Post Report Post