July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-14-2005, 04:45 PM   #211 (Print)
mike1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroDad
so from what we understand the upgrade should start happening next week right?

Hopefully starting Monday (16th).
mike1977 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #212 (Print)
qubit

anyone hear of a date for Florida yet?

qubit is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2005, 08:18 PM   #213 (Print)
khoelzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefer37
Man, then I am SOL. But supposedly, Vonage is testing a firmware upgrade that will help out...

I talked to Vonage today about this and the support guy told me that the firmware updates he did so far were 100% successful. Good for Vonage
khoelzel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 12:48 PM   #214 (Print)
capran

Got my card today (Portland, ME area). Just tried a daily download, but still on 3.1.1e.

One thing I really need to know is if I can unplug the phone line and go with a USB Ethernet adapter instead?

I'm considering ditching my landline phone as soon as Naked DSL is available to me, and it just occurred to me that unless I switch the Dtivo to ethernet, I might be screwed for local guide content etc.

I may upgrade the HD at some point, as well as adding in telnet, ftp, tivoweb, etc. But for now all I want is no phone line.
capran is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 12:53 PM   #215 (Print)
yunlin12
Tivoluted User

Send a message via AIM to yunlin12 Send a message via Yahoo to yunlin12
Quote:
Originally Posted by capran
One thing I really need to know is if I can unplug the phone line and go with a USB Ethernet adapter instead?

No way to do it without hacking it. As far as I heard, 6.2 will activate the USB port, you can even plug in a USB network adaptor and get an IP from your DHCP server, but the box won't do anything through the port, or respond to any outside request.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:13 PM   #216 (Print)
capran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12
No way to do it without hacking it. As far as I heard, 6.2 will activate the USB port, you can even plug in a USB network adaptor and get an IP from your DHCP server, but the box won't do anything through the port, or respond to any outside request.

Hmm. I've looked around at some of the FAQs and HOWTOs, I found something about a backported USB driver?

Does anyone have a direct link to instructions on getting this to work with 6.2 and a Linksys USB10T (if that model works...if not I'll get something else)
Old 05-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #217 (Print)
kramerboy
Jelly Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by capran
Hmm. I've looked around at some of the FAQs and HOWTOs, I found something about a backported USB driver?

Does anyone have a direct link to instructions on getting this to work with 6.2 and a Linksys USB10T (if that model works...if not I'll get something else)

Read this thread

It has all the info you need. But again, no way to get it to work without hacking it......
kramerboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 02:02 PM   #218 (Print)
khoelzel

Today is the day that the upgrades are supposed to be occuring. I was just now able to get my box to dial on Vonage!! Yeah!! Still no upgrade of software though. Nice.
khoelzel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 02:18 PM   #219 (Print)
Langree
Goomba

Send a message via AIM to Langree
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoelzel
Today is the day that the upgrades are supposed to be occuring. I was just now able to get my box to dial on Vonage!! Yeah!! Still no upgrade of software though. Nice.

Mine made a call Sunday and scheduled the next for tomorrow, within 48 hours of the previous call. So I'm hoping the Tuesday call is to activate 6.2.

Langree's hit the nail on the head. -- AJRitz
Beaten to the punch by Langree. -- Clutchbrake
Reading Langree's next post makes me feel better. -- Hoffer
Langree is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 07:39 PM   #220 (Print)
biker
Outlaw

I got my card today.

Old 05-22-2005, 11:26 AM   #221 (Print)
sylvrtygr

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefer37
Excellent. So the fact that my DirecTiVos haven't been able to make a call via Vonage in 200 days isn't a big deal. =-D

Is there any way to disable this message?
sylvrtygr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #222 (Print)
AstroDad
Like Death & Taxes

Send a message via AIM to AstroDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvrtygr
Is there any way to disable this message?

not without hacking your TiVo

Old 05-22-2005, 06:58 PM   #223 (Print)
bbristow
Member Since 2003

Never got a postcard; never will. But I did force call and receive 6.2 this evening at 7:00 PM EDT on Hughes SD-DVR80. I'm in North Carolina, but supposedly it makes no difference; it's all in the serial numbers or something. We'll see how it works when it finishes installing in a few mintues.
bbristow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 08:07 PM   #224 (Print)
bnewton

Got the card on Sat.

Here south west PA i just got the notice on Sat 5/21. Forced calls several times w/ no luck. Today Sun 5/22 I forced a call and noticed the "pending restart" in the settings. Reboot and now I can reset my favorite channels!

Oh, I have a Hughes SD-DVR80.
bnewton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 08:52 PM   #225 (Print)
capran

w00t! Finally got 6.2 today!

Menus are noticably more responsive now, and I like the grouping option in Now Playing.

But other than those 2 things, what other changes are there? I'd like to know if the Tivo is any smarter at recording shows now?

For instance, one gripe I have is that on Spike TV I have SPs for ST:TNG and DS9. But everything else on that channel I hate, and have given 3 thumbs down to. But guess what? After recording my Trek, it continues to stay on the same channel buffering those crappy shows, even though if I flip to a different channel there's shows that have thumbs up?

That just seems so dumb!

And it also would be nice if Tivo Suggests were updated to be smarter to find shows I might actually like but haven't given thumbs to before...perhaps by show genre, actor or director? I know you can set a wishlist, but I don't actually want to do that explicitly. I figure that since I have it record enough Trek, documentaries, and "adult" cartoons like Family Guy and South Park and crime dramas and specials on USA and FX, it might come up with something similar from time to time. But instead its usually crap and I have to manually go through the listings to record good stuff from time to time.

Probably not the right thread, but I don't see any thing specific to 6.2's updated features, mostly just folks wondering when they're getting it.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:41 PM   #226 (Print)
AstroDad
Like Death & Taxes

Send a message via AIM to AstroDad
I got 6.2 today also. They must update the numbers througout the day becasue I forced a call this morning before I left for work and got nothing. Forced it again this evening and bam!

Last edited by AstroDad : 05-23-2005 at 09:54 PM.
AstroDad is offline Report Bad Post Report Post