July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #1 (Print)
Wonder_lander
Image Bank Manager

Lightbulb Guide data/no phoneline or network

Moved house on the 17th and despite my best efforts I have been unable to get NTL to install either a phone line or broadband. Tonight I took Tivo around to a mates house and used his internet connection to download the guide data. Unfortunately it seemed to stick at 98% for "Loading data" Due to time constraints I had to pull the plug and come home. I thought it might carry on "loading" but upon reconnection it just says that it failed. The system has updated the guide data date but the data doesn't appear to have been updated to the database.

Is there anything I can do with the data that has been downloaded to get it to update or am I stuck taking my tivo to a friends again?
Wonder_lander is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-28-2005, 02:22 AM   #2 (Print)
Wonder_lander
Image Bank Manager

No-one?
Old 09-28-2005, 04:32 AM   #3 (Print)
terryeden
Re: Member

If you've got a laptop, you could buy a 3G datacard, use that as your internet connection.

Or, use a 3G mobile to act as your internet connection. You could use a normal mobile - but the call would probably take a while.

T
terryeden is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-28-2005, 04:57 AM   #4 (Print)
Wonder_lander
Image Bank Manager

I've thought about this but how do I bridge the network?

I currently have.....Router > Tivo and Router to Wireless Access Point - Wireless links to PC and Laptop
Old 09-28-2005, 06:15 AM   #5 (Print)
LeeK
Not a New Member!

Not too sure but....

You could connect your phone to your laptop via cable or bluetooth. The software you (probably) got with your phone will enable the laptop to see it as a modem.

You could then enable Internet Connection sharing which I think makes your laptop look as if it has two network connections, bridging Internet traffic from the LAN card to the modem. This **should** enable traffic from your tivo via the laptop out onto the net.

Sorry its a bit vague but It's a while since I've played with Internet connection sharing but I'm sure if you have a look it is possible to achieve what you're after.....

Good Luck!

Old 09-28-2005, 06:19 AM   #6 (Print)
Wonder_lander
Image Bank Manager

Anyone know how big a download it will be, last sucessful call was the 15th September and it's the sky platform
Old 09-28-2005, 08:47 AM   #7 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

If the data slices are still lying around on your TiVo's drive then I believe you can force a load to the database manually - although I've never tried it.

OzTiVo would probably be a good place to find info about this sort of thing as they roll their own guide data over there.

blindlemon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #8 (Print)
Wonder_lander
Image Bank Manager

There seems to be a reference to do this:

Quote:
# Perform a Daily Call on your TiVo.
# After it succeeds, telnet to your TiVo and do force_index30.tcl. This prompts the TiVo to start incorporating the new data as soon as possible.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:22 AM   #9 (Print)
Wonder_lander
Image Bank Manager

Took the machine to my mates again and used their Broadband....looks like I'll need to do this weekly until NTL get someone out
Old 12-19-2005, 08:31 AM   #10 (Print)
benallenuk

Hi guys, Im currently living at my girlfriends house over xmas, She never got around to getting a landline installed as she use her mobile contract instead. Im using ppp over serial to my laptop and then running my updates through GPRS, Ive also tried just dialing up to the internet through a data call, 9.6kbps, its a little slow around 1.1kb/sec but updates will go through ok. Ive only got Anloague Cable, so only 40 channels to get data for, wouldnt like to do an update if I had Sky, lol!

If your totallu stuck then it might help!

Ben