July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-21-2005, 04:22 PM   #1 (Print)
rscaramelo
SA! No DirecTivo!

MyVOD/?'s

I'm going back to D* Saturday after about 5 years of Comcast/AT&T Broadband/ MediaOne and whatever else they've been called. I have a DVR on order too. I have a standalone lifetime series 2 Tivo that I hope will play nice with the standard receiver. My question is what's MyVOD? I searched here and googled it but I can't figure it out. Is it like comcast's "OnDemand"? Also, what is the standard receiver model(s)?

thanks,

RC
rscaramelo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 06:40 PM   #2 (Print)
SeattleCarl

MyVOD is a tab or folder on DirecTV's new DVR, the R15. Roughly 1/3rd of the total hard drive is reserved for programs or features that D* will push to the R15, and which will then be available "on demand" to users.
-
So far, they have not implemented this feature, and the on-demand tab is empty. Thus, it is just a DVR at the moment.
-
This is D*'s way of having "on demand". To try and have a reserve of programs at a central location that could be sent over the satellite on-demand to any user would require much too much bandwidth. Simply not feasible via satellite. So the compromise is to come up with roughly 60 hours of programming they can park on your hard drive during slow hours, and you can then select it "on demand" when you want it.
-
Carl
SeattleCarl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 06:59 PM   #3 (Print)
nhaigh

So the R15 has 60 hours potential recording space that DirecTV will fill up with stuff you don't want? Do they give you an opt out so you can fill the disk space with stuff you do want?
nhaigh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 07:56 PM   #4 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

nope

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-21-2005, 08:51 PM   #5 (Print)
rscaramelo
SA! No DirecTivo!

I hate Comcast but the OnDemand feature is nice. Hopefully D* can do as nice a job.

Thanks,

RC
Old 12-21-2005, 11:14 PM   #6 (Print)
morgantown
DTV + Tvio = ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
nope

OT for sure. But, nice avitar gunny...

The "other" DVR, 2/06 (inactive)
DTV & NFLST Since 1997, not looked back yet...
morgantown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 12:39 AM   #7 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCarl
MyVOD is a tab or folder on DirecTV's new DVR, the R15. Roughly 1/3rd of the total hard drive is reserved for programs or features that D* will push to the R15, and which will then be available "on demand" to users.
-
So far, they have not implemented this feature, and the on-demand tab is empty. Thus, it is just a DVR at the moment.
-
This is D*'s way of having "on demand". To try and have a reserve of programs at a central location that could be sent over the satellite on-demand to any user would require much too much bandwidth. Simply not feasible via satellite. So the compromise is to come up with roughly 60 hours of programming they can park on your hard drive during slow hours, and you can then select it "on demand" when you want it.
-
Carl
I other words a far larger showcase function. I assume that almost all of the contents of the My VOD folder will be PPV.

(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2 HMO/MRV
(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
with TyTool, TServer, TiVoServer
tbeckner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 12:45 AM   #8 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaramelo
I hate Comcast but the OnDemand feature is nice. Hopefully D* can do as nice a job.

Thanks,

RC
Except that it is only 60 hours, which is not a very large choice. My bundled HBO OnDemand (actually an extra $2.25 per month) contains 150 hours of available OnDemand, and that does not count the PPV OnDemand that exists from the cable company. Verizon just increased their online OnDemand library from 1,500 hours of available OnDemand video to 7,000 hours, which is huge compared to the DirecTV DVR MY VOD folder.

But then again, DirecTV will never be able to compete in a truly OnDemand marketplace, because they cannot buy enough bandwidth to ever make OnDemand a viable option for their customers, which still includes me.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94

Last edited by tbeckner : 12-23-2005 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:40 PM   #9 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

I know this is a way for DirecTV to make money, forcing stuff onto the DVR, but I wish they would allow a way to reduce the space used for that so we could increase our recording space .

Old 12-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #10 (Print)
extension 721
Minor Deity of TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence
I know this is a way for DirecTV to make money, forcing stuff onto the DVR, but I wish they would allow a way to reduce the space used for that so we could increase our recording space .

standalone tivos have digital encoders that create their own digital files.

directv dvr's and tivos don't. they record the already-digital-files wholesale. THis means D*tivos have inherently better quality than standalone tivos, but no ability to record at lower quality.

perhaps a standard compression utility...but that would take up space to add it on, reduce quality, reduce reliability, and increase possibility of crash, aside from not being able to record as well while compressing.
extension 721 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 05:12 PM   #11 (Print)
SullyND
MMM... Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by extension 721
standalone tivos have digital encoders that create their own digital files.

I think he meant change the amount of space partitioned off on the drive for VOD content.

I'm sure Jim knows that Directivos record at only one quality level and why.
SullyND is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2005, 07:42 PM   #12 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Thanks SullyND, I was having trouble trying to figure out what extension 721 was referring to.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:29 AM   #13 (Print)
ISWIZ
Southern Yankee

Quote:

The SA TIVO soes the same thing, showcases, always been a "issue" with some users, "it's my box I should decide", it's the American way.

DTV R15
Hughes Direct Tivo Combo @ 107hrs
ISWIZ is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 08:42 AM   #14 (Print)
nhaigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISWIZ
The SA TIVO soes the same thing, showcases, always been a "issue" with some users, "it's my box I should decide", it's the American way.

Maybe - but what TiVo does is hardly significant. What DirecTV does is 60 hours and that is a lot of recorded TV you cannot have.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #15 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Quote:
This is true, but nowhere near 60GB of space is used. This is space reserved for VOD type of service. If I never want to use it, or to a lesser extent, allow me to set the size of this allotment. I know they advertise the unit as 100hr or so but knowledgeable people will see the 160 GB drive and wonder why it is only 100 hrs.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:55 PM   #16 (Print)
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
This is true, but nowhere near 60GB of space is used. This is space reserved for VOD type of service. If I never want to use it, or to a lesser extent, allow me to set the size of this allotment. I know they advertise the unit as 100hr or so but knowledgeable people will see the 160 GB drive and wonder why it is only 100 hrs.
Jim,

I agree with you 100%.

DirecTV should have allowed people control over the amount of reserved VOD space that exists on their unit, which actually would have made the unit a little more functional. Some people who would prefer more recording space could then use some or all of the VOD space for DVR recordings, and some people who would prefer more VOD PPV space and less DVR recording space could then allocate more VOD space.

But I believe they dropped that idea, because there is the possibility that it was too complex for the NDS people to program and control, or they feared that too many people would opt for additional DVR recording space, which would minimize their argument that they where providing Video OnDemand (which we all know they are not), but then again DirecTV views VOD as the biggest threat to satellite delivery that they could face over the next decade, and they are correct, wired providers are going to put the squeeze on all one-way wireless (satellite) bandwidth limited video delivery services, and DirecTV and Dish are just now starting to feel the pinch in the form of lower new subscriber counts and higher churn rates.

DirecTV had no choice but to expand the concept and increase the storage space that TiVo used for showcase delivery into a "slight of hand" VOD delivery service, because local HD delivery alone will not help them expand their subscriber counts and lower their churn rates. The battle for subscribers is going to be waged on the OnDemand battlefield, and in this case DirecTV is outnumbered and outgunned.

(1) Slingbox 1.0.5.140
DirecTV 10/94
Old 12-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #17 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

I suspect that they didn't allow this possibility because then customer support would get calls about how to do it. And we all know how well informed CSRs are.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:41 PM   #18 (Print)
rscaramelo
SA! No DirecTivo!

Just an update...Saturday was the day of my "install". It was a disaster. The installer got lost on the way to my house then he was at my house for over 5 hours! It would have been longer if I didn't help him. Now my install should have been easy since I had Directv a few years ago and the Sat mount was still on the roof and the 3 rooms getting boxes were already wired.

When I made the appointment, I had 2 requests. I wanted the R10 and I needed chimney bracket because I needed the dish higher and because my roof is being replaced early spring. Well the installer first ran an extra wire to the room getting the DVR. Then he went up onto the roof for some 3 hours (!?!). While he was up there I asked him about the pole or chimney mount I requested and he said that he didn't have anything but that everything would be fine. He said he would come back when the roof was being done to move the dish. Not happy but I'll take him at his word. Then he plugged in everything inside. The final room was the DVR room and he walked in with R15 . When he arrived he said he had a Tivo, not the R15. Ok fine I still have my standalone. It took him some 30 minutes to get the DVR setup. Ok we're into hour 5! He calls the activation number and hands me the phone. Of course I'm placed on hold. He has me sign his form and he packs up. I'm still on hold and he says his goodbyes but also mentions that he had a very hard time grabbing my local stations because of my neighbor's trees but it "should" be ok now. It being Christmas Eve and since he was there for 5 hours, I needed to go out right after the install. I didn't have any time to play with the tv.

Sunday night I finally got to watch and the locals sucked. I'm pissed and worse, my wife was pissed at me for getting a R15 and for just getting the dish. Long story short, she called the installer and the said it was going to cost us 75 per hour for them to come out! Unacceptable. We told them that the installer should have known early on that this setup wouldn't work and should have told us before 3 boxes were activated.

She called Directv to complain, they said to take it up with the installer. She tells them to just cancel the account. Here's my problem, they want to charge me 20 per box (3) plus I can't get my 100 back for the DVR or file for the rebate. WTF? Can somebody help me with this? I can live (barely) with the 60, but not with 160 out of my pocket. The D* CSR was a smug jerk on the phone. Can someone tell me where I should go with this issue because I really think I'm getting screwed here.

thanks,

RC
Old 12-28-2005, 06:59 AM   #19 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaramelo
Just an update...Saturday was the day of my "install". It was a disaster. The installer got lost on the way to my house then he was at my house for over 5 hours! It would have been longer if I didn't help him. Now my install should have been easy since I had Directv a few years ago and the Sat mount was still on the roof and the 3 rooms getting boxes were already wired.

When I made the appointment, I had 2 requests. I wanted the R10 and I needed chimney bracket because I needed the dish higher and because my roof is being replaced early spring. Well the installer first ran an extra wire to the room getting the DVR. Then he went up onto the roof for some 3 hours (!?!). While he was up there I asked him about the pole or chimney mount I requested and he said that he didn't have anything but that everything would be fine. He said he would come back when the roof was being done to move the dish. Not happy but I'll take him at his word. Then he plugged in everything inside. The final room was the DVR room and he walked in with R15 . When he arrived he said he had a Tivo, not the R15. Ok fine I still have my standalone. It took him some 30 minutes to get the DVR setup. Ok we're into hour 5! He calls the activation number and hands me the phone. Of course I'm placed on hold. He has me sign his form and he packs up. I'm still on hold and he says his goodbyes but also mentions that he had a very hard time grabbing my local stations because of my neighbor's trees but it "should" be ok now. It being Christmas Eve and since he was there for 5 hours, I needed to go out right after the install. I didn't have any time to play with the tv.

Sunday night I finally got to watch and the locals sucked. I'm pissed and worse, my wife was pissed at me for getting a R15 and for just getting the dish. Long story short, she called the installer and the said it was going to cost us 75 per hour for them to come out! Unacceptable. We told them that the installer should have known early on that this setup wouldn't work and should have told us before 3 boxes were activated.

She called Directv to complain, they said to take it up with the installer. She tells them to just cancel the account. Here's my problem, they want to charge me 20 per box (3) plus I can't get my 100 back for the DVR or file for the rebate. WTF? Can somebody help me with this? I can live (barely) with the 60, but not with 160 out of my pocket. The D* CSR was a smug jerk on the phone. Can someone tell me where I should go with this issue because I really think I'm getting screwed here.

thanks,

RC
Did Directv send the installer or did you hire a private installer? If Directv, then your complaint is with Directv. They contracted with him, you didn't. If you hired a private installer, then Directv has no responsibility for it, and it is between you and the installer you contracted.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 08:16 AM   #20 (Print)
rscaramelo
SA! No DirecTivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtremain
Did Directv send the installer or did you hire a private installer? If Directv, then your complaint is with Directv. They contracted with him, you didn't. If you hired a private installer, then Directv has no responsibility for it, and it is between you and the installer you contracted.

Everything was done through DirecTv.

RC
Old 12-28-2005, 08:42 AM   #21 (Print)
ISWIZ
Southern Yankee

I kept losing signal due to a short. Called DTV and they rescheduled the installer to come back and fix it. No charge. It was fixed in 2 days.

DTV R15
Hughes Direct Tivo Combo @ 107hrs
ISWIZ is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 09:00 AM   #22 (Print)
rscaramelo
SA! No DirecTivo!

Need some advice with unacceptable D* stance

Quote:
I kept losing signal due to a short. Called DTV and they rescheduled the installer to come back and fix it. No charge. It was fixed in 2 days.

I guess I forgot to mention part of the problem.

I had Directv from about 98-01. At the time I also had the lifeline cable for locals because they weren't available from D*. Directv worked great. Sometime in 01 I was told the locals were now available so I ordered them. They told me I needed an installer to come out to replace the dish. The guy came, moved the dish to another part of my roof and left. My locals didn't come in well so he came back. Still no locals. Third installer comes out and says the dish is a couple feet too low and that it's going to cost me $200 to make it right. I went back to my old setup with the lifeline and also bought the Standalone in this timeframe too. With the Tivo, I felt I could be happy with cable so I cancelled D* outright a couple of months later.

I explained to Directv this time around that the dish need to be higher up and that this was the reason for my cancelation a few years ago. I would have been willing to buy the bracket/pole/whatever but I'm not paying $75p/h to fix this screw-up.

I'm done with Satellite tv for good. Fios is coming soon, maybe I'll try that. Or maybe I'll just stick with sucky overpriced Comcast because at least I never have a non-price price problem with them.

RC
Old 12-28-2005, 09:42 AM   #23 (Print)
nhaigh

I've had DTV for two years. The origional instal was done by value Electonics and was as close to perfect as you can imagine. I bought the maintence from DTV in case I had problems later.

In the two years I have had DTV I have had the system fail twice.

The first time the disk was moved or bent in a big storm and we lost signal. DTV booked and installer who cancelled the appointment seven times before we finnaly got TV back five weeks later.

The second was a failed TiVo which we ordered a replcement. It arrived four days later and didn't work. We re-ordered another replacement that wouldn't be sent until the other one got back. Six days after that I chased it to see where it was and it hadn;t been sent. Three further chase calls later another it was finally ordered and sent and we received it about four days later and it worked. We had been without DTV service for a little over four weeks.

Both times I got a credit on my bill for the period of time I had no TV but no compensation. Both occurences were in September so for two years now I have missed ALL the premiers for the fall season.

IMHO Cable TV's service stinks but not half as much as DirecTV's service.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #24 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaigh
I've had DTV for two years. The origional instal was done by value Electonics and was as close to perfect as you can imagine.

The first time the disk was moved or bent in a big storm and we lost signal. DTV booked and installer who cancelled the appointment seven times before we finnaly got TV back five weeks later.
So much for perfect. I live in New Jersey (in a location that gets hit worse by the storms than Lawrenceville) and have had Directv for about nine years.

I've never suffered any damage to the dish, which is mounted on an antenna mast, in any type of weather.

And, I've never been without service in all that time. Even when I had to replace the LNB, I had some service with the defective one.

I don't think your installation was so perfect.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 04:09 PM   #25 (Print)
nhaigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtremain
I don't think your installation was so perfect.

The installation was fine. I found out that the dish is dsigned to withstand 100 mph winds and that day we had 112mph. The wind took out two well established trees from our back yard as put a neighbors tree through the their master bedroom and den destroying both. The local car dealership's roof was lifted off and dumped on all the new cars in the lot.