July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2005, 10:35 AM   #1 (Print)
MitchO
Blasphemer: Uses DVR

ABC joins hunt for Arrested Development

Read it this morning the NY Post. Unfortunately, www.newyorkpost.com is one of those newspaper sites that require a (free) log in to read the full article, but here's the initial quote:

Quote:
December 15, 2005 -- 'ARRESTED Development" could have a second life on ABC or Showtime.
"Conversations are ongoing with both networks," an industry insider told The Post yesterday.

Both networks are contemplating picking up the quirky, Emmy-winning Fox series, according to trade reports.

ABC "is having preliminary conversations" about acquiring the show, a network spokesman told The Post yesterday.
MitchO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 11:00 AM   #2 (Print)
jeff125va

Send a message via AIM to jeff125va
I'm surprised nobody mentions it more often, but maybe if Fox went all 3 hours of prime time, they wouldn't be cancelling shows like this all the time.

Unfortunately I think ABC would keep this around about as long as they kept other great non-laugh track shows such as The Job and Sports Night.

109 hour Sony SAT-T60
35 hour Philips DSR 704
jeff125va is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 11:03 AM   #3 (Print)
5thcrewman
Wavy Goth Survivor

"Watch Arrested Development! Coming soon to TBA!!"

5thcrewman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 11:03 AM   #4 (Print)
Frank_M

Here's the entire story:

---------------------------

December 15, 2005 -- 'ARRESTED Development" could have a second life on ABC or Showtime.
"Conversations are ongoing with both networks," an industry insider told The Post yesterday.

Both networks are contemplating picking up the quirky, Emmy-winning Fox series, according to trade reports.

ABC "is having preliminary conversations" about acquiring the show, a network spokesman told The Post yesterday.

"Arrested Development" hasn't been officially canceled by Fox, but isn't expected to return after its third-season order was cut from 22 episodes to 13 episodes.

The show is co-produced by Hollywood powerhouse Ron Howard, who provides the voiceover narration, and has been a critical favorite since premiering in 2003. It won an Emmy in 2004.

But it's never caught on with viewers and has averaged roughly 4 million viewers this season. That would be a terrific viewership number for cable's Showtime, but wouldn't cut-the-mustard on ABC.

A sticking point, at least for Showtime, appears to be the cost of the show, particularly the economics of paying its large cast of "name" stars (including Jason Bateman, Portia de Rossi, Jeffrey Tambor and Jessica Walter), who would demand higher salaries because of their visibility.

But it's believed that Showtime could bookend the show with its critically acclaimed comedy "Weeds," which has been renewed for a second season this week and received several Golden Globe nominations, increasing its cachet.

However, if ABC were to acquire "Arrested," it wouldn't be the first time a current series has switched broadcast networks, often with good results.

Some of the recent examples include "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," which jumped from The WB to UPN and, more famously, "JAG," which enjoyed a long run on CBS after moving over from NBC.

Showtime officials had no comment yesterday.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #5 (Print)
timr_42

Send a message via Yahoo to timr_42
Well, at least according to the article, Weeds was picked up. I liked that show.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:27 AM   #6 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

I really wouldn't want ABC to pick up the show because that would mean I would have to rely on my local affiliate and that means standard definition broadcasts. I'm TiVoing it now on my HR10-250 from FOX5-NYC in HD and I've gotten used to that. Sorry to those who don't like paying for premiums, but I hope Showtime picks it up.

TCD540040 w/Lifetime, networked, upgraded to 182hrs. @ Basic

"What a fun, sexy time for you!"- George-Michael Bluth, "Arrested Development"
bidger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 11:51 AM   #7 (Print)
eMarkM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchO
Unfortunately, www.newyorkpost.com is one of those newspaper sites that require a (free) log in to read the full article

That's what Bug Me Not is for.

Aperion 422 5.1 Speakers
DirecTv
XBox
eMarkM is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 12:36 PM   #8 (Print)
Steveknj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff125va
I'm surprised nobody mentions it more often, but maybe if Fox went all 3 hours of prime time, they wouldn't be cancelling shows like this all the time.

Unfortunately I think ABC would keep this around about as long as they kept other great non-laugh track shows such as The Job and Sports Night.

I've always wondered why Fox never went to 3 hours. After all, it's now a mature network that is pretty much all locations now. I know the 10PM news or other local programming makes a lot of money for the local affiliates, so that must be the reason. After all, moving the 10 o'clock news to 11 in many markets means added competition for their news broadcasts and probably less revenue, although in the major markets, such as New York, there are 3 local news broadcasts at 10 and 3 at 11, so the competition is equal.

Still, in my mind, because Fox doesn't do the extra hour, it is STILL a second tier network.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:41 PM   #9 (Print)
culprit622
tired of the rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj
I've always wondered why Fox never went to 3 hours.

As you mentioned, here in the Bay Area that could only happen if Fox would be willing to start primetime at 7 since the Fox station here has a HUGELY successful 10p newscast that they'd never move.
culprit622 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 02:37 PM   #10 (Print)
edrock200

Send a message via AIM to edrock200
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidger
I really wouldn't want ABC to pick up the show because that would mean I would have to rely on my local affiliate and that means standard definition broadcasts. I'm TiVoing it now on my HR10-250 from FOX5-NYC in HD and I've gotten used to that. Sorry to those who don't like paying for premiums, but I hope Showtime picks it up.

I didn't realize this show was in hd.

Old 12-15-2005, 02:41 PM   #11 (Print)
kiljoy
Alone in the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrock200
I didn't realize this show was in hd.
It's in 480p, so it isn't.

Tony

-Lionel Hutz
kiljoy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 02:47 PM   #12 (Print)
tem
tom

AD is definitely in HD.

Old 12-15-2005, 02:48 PM   #13 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Send a message via AIM to Inundated
I don't really follow this show, but I'm pretty sure it was in HD the last time I saw it.
Inundated is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 02:55 PM   #14 (Print)
tem
tom

from TitanTV for next week:

Arrested Development
Making a Stand
(HD, TV14)

Old 12-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #15 (Print)
That Don Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by culprit622
As you mentioned, here in the Bay Area that could only happen if Fox would be willing to start primetime at 7 since the Fox station here has a HUGELY successful 10p newscast that they'd never move.

And even if Fox did start at 7, KTVU (San Francisco's Fox station) would still throw a fit, as this would mean pretty much every SF Giants weeknight game that they air would cut into the programming.

(For those of you wondering why a 10:00 news broadcast would be so popular: it is a combination of two factors - one, the stock market opens at 6:30 AM Pacific time, so a significant number of people have to be at work quite early; two, San Francisco is on a peninsula, and most of the people who work there have to cross bridges and end up sharing nine lanes of traffic (five on the Bay Bridge, four on the Golden Gate), so even people with 9-to-5 jobs have to leave early because of the significant traffic. As a result, people tend to go to bed by 11, so they watch the news at 10. It got to the point where both the CBS and NBC stations tried running prime-time from 7 to 10 (like they do in the Central and Mountain time zones) so they could air their news at 10:00 as well. The NBC experiment lasted one year, as I recall, while the CBS station (which didn't shift on Sundays) did it for a few more (and CBS's Sacramento station still does).)

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #16 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tem
AD is definitely in HD.
Affirmed....HD on our Fox affil.

Bierboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:13 PM   #17 (Print)
oski87
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy
And even if Fox did start at 7, KTVU (San Francisco's Fox station) would still throw a fit, as this would mean pretty much every SF Giants weeknight game that they air would cut into the programming.

(For those of you wondering why a 10:00 news broadcast would be so popular: it is a combination of two factors - one, the stock market opens at 6:30 AM Pacific time, so a significant number of people have to be at work quite early; two, San Francisco is on a peninsula, and most of the people who work there have to cross bridges and end up sharing nine lanes of traffic (five on the Bay Bridge, four on the Golden Gate), so even people with 9-to-5 jobs have to leave early because of the significant traffic. As a result, people tend to go to bed by 11, so they watch the news at 10. It got to the point where both the CBS and NBC stations tried running prime-time from 7 to 10 (like they do in the Central and Mountain time zones) so they could air their news at 10:00 as well. The NBC experiment lasted one year, as I recall, while the CBS station (which didn't shift on Sundays) did it for a few more (and CBS's Sacramento station still does).)

-- Don

Um, no. They have the 10PM time-slot to themselves, so their numbers dominate. The same (excellent, I agree) newscast at 11 would be just another player in Bay Area local news.

I think that maybe one person in a quarter-million in the bay area works on the stock exchange or something directly related. Most of the jobs are in Silicon Valley, where we techies work flexible hours and stay up late.
oski87 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #18 (Print)
Stainless Steele
Wake-Maker!

Send a message via AIM to Stainless Steele
I can't wait for the neilsons(sp?) to start tracking tivo and dvr's in general..when they do maybe less good stuff will get axed?

Tivo Series 2 40hrs w/HMO Lifetime (paid for HMO)
Phillips PTV300 60hrs Lifetime Turbonet (My first!! Bought it the day it came out! Will always hold a special place in my heart!) My brother is currently using this!
JavaHMO Rocks!!!!
Gateway MCE PC 901XL 200gb P4 3g
Stainless Steele is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:56 PM   #19 (Print)
GadgetFreak

Matt Roush from TVGuide on why Fox doesn't program 3 network hours:

Quote:
Question: With all this talk about Fox's schedule and how there isn't enough room for The Simple Life to return and how Prison Break won't return until May, don't you think it's time Fox got with the program and became the real fourth network, after 18 years (truly an appropriate age to finally grow up and be an adult). Shouldn't the network move the local 10 pm/ET news to 11 to make way for original programming? — Chris

Matt Roush: This question has come up a lot lately, especially in the wake of the Prison Break situation, so this is a good time to remind everyone once again of the "business" side of the TV equation. In Fox's early days, it programmed a limited number of hours for regulatory reasons (most of which no longer exist). But even if Fox desired to program a 22-hour weekly schedule, which many months of the year (when American Idol is absent, say) would seem to be more than this network of The Swan, Stacked and Killer Instinct could handle, it's a fact that Fox's local affiliates, especially the owned-and-operated stations, make a fortune off the local news at 10 (ET). It's not in Fox's economic model to expand at this point, although it is true that some of Fox's better dramas would benefit by being able to air in the 10 pm/ET time period. (If the network could dump the 8 pm/ET hour and program shows at 10, how cool would that be?) But the short answer to a tricky, complex question is that Fox isn't going there in the foreseeable future.
GadgetFreak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 04:59 PM   #20 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiljoy
It's in 480p, so it isn't.

Tony

Fox used to broadcast in 480p, but they switched to true HD a year or two ago.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:13 PM   #21 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

That's my understanding, Season 1 of AD: 480p, 2 & 3: 720p.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:42 PM   #22 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Send a message via AIM to Inundated
Yep, no way is Fox going to go to programming 10 PM/9 CT. They have no need and the stations won't let them...even their own O&O's!

And about that CBS affiliate in Sacramento...they were recently bought by CBS itself, and there was much speculation that they'd end the station's "early prime" schedule and clear shows 8-11 like all the other Pacific time affiliates.

But they looked into it, and found that the 10 PM newscast makes them boatloads of money...so even with the NETWORK owning it, they aren't changing the schedule.
Inundated is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #23 (Print)
Paperboy2003
Wasting time here

I would definitely subscribe to ABC if they picked up Arrested Development!

Old 12-15-2005, 05:58 PM   #24 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

Good one.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:22 PM   #25 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidger
That's my understanding, Season 1 of AD: 480p, 2 & 3: 720p.

Arrested Development has always been taped using HD camera equipment, so it's likely that if there ever is an HD DVD format that all 3 seasons can be released in HD.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 08:25 PM   #26 (Print)
appleye1
Obladi Oblada

Send a message via AIM to appleye1 Send a message via MSN to appleye1 Send a message via Yahoo to appleye1
I would definitely hope that Showtime gets it over ABC. Mainly because if it ever goes on the chopping block again I think Showtime would be more inclined to let it get shopped to another network. ABC would cancel it and let it rot.

I read that Stone Stanley wanted to look elsewhere for The Mole when it was cancelled, but ABC refused to let them. (Instead it bastardized it by turning it into Celebrity Mole. ) Showtime on the other hand, had no problem letting Stargate SG-1 go to Sci-Fi. Just a theory.

That, and I can't get ABC in HD, but I can get Showtime. Arrested Development is one of those shows that HD really benefits. (For instance, I could have never figured out what the Mary Poppins sign said if I watched the show in SD!)

"Be excellent to one another." - Pan Chun

"All people can be divided into 10 groups. Those that understand binary and those that don't."

"'You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.' People say this to you with a straight face, and I always say, who...wants...flies?" - Bill Murray

DIRECTV subscriber since 02/96
TiVo user since 12/99
appleye1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 10:00 PM   #27 (Print)
JoeyJoJo
finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thcrewman
"Watch Arrested Development! Coming soon to TBA!!"

You sir, are funny.
JoeyJoJo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 09:26 AM   #28 (Print)
NoThru22
Aspirin Roulette

Send a message via AIM to NoThru22
Fox 12-5-2005 Arrested Development 720p average 15 mbps.
NoThru22 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #29 (Print)
mrpantstm
Well aren't you

personally, I'd still prefer Showtime over ABC. Showtime would probably give it more of a chance imho and they might have some more wiggle room to try some new things.

mrpantstm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2005, 12:38 PM   #30 (Print)
hefe
Hefeweizen-heimer

Send a message via AIM to hefe
Ah, which AD thread to bump...?

Typical article picking AD as the best show. It's amazing that as many people that there are that love the show, the ratings aren't better. Truly mystifying...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...DG2AGE3H710.DTL

Quote:
1. "Arrested Development," Fox. Because I said so. Period. I'm way past trying to explain it. But if I'm forced to make the list, I get to make the picks. Any TV show that's funny the third time you watch the same episode is rare indeed, and that owes so much to creator Mitch Hurwitz, the writing staff and a sensational cast, particularly Jason Bateman, Jessica Walter and Will Arnett. I could watch this cast read "Joey" scripts and still be entertained.

Follow The Amazing Race in Google Earth. Complete through leg 6.
hefe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post