TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

View Poll Results: I want a dual-tuner TiVo that...
costs more and has HD 41 77.36%
costs less and does not have HD 12 22.64%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2005, 11:33 AM   #1 (Print)
MickeS

Question Dual-tuner without HD?

I have realized that I don't care at all about HD. All I want is for TiVo to come out with a dual (minimum ) tuner SA unit, and I'd be happy. I don't have digital cable (hate the cable box and associated monthly fees), only the extended basic, so my TiVo is doing the tuning for me.

While I've seen some spectacular examples of HD, I just don't care that much about it. I have a 32" TV, and I sit fairly close to it, so I would definitely have an advantage with higher picture quality... but I still record everything on Medium (even though I have well over 100hrs capacity in Best mode). I just don't care that much about picture quality when it comes to TV.

So, do you think there'll be a lower-priced non-HD dual tuner unit available for folks like me? Or would I have to pay a premium to get the HD-capable version in order to get dual tuners? I really hope they make both HD and non-HD dual tuner SA's available, if there would be a substantial savings to make a non-HD unit (might not be).
MickeS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 12:53 PM   #2 (Print)
wouldworker
Cranky

It would probably be cheaper to build a non-HD-capable dual tuner unit, but I think it would be a mistake to do so. Judging from the number of posts like "I just bought a Tivo. Can I record two shows at once?" many people buy Tivos without really understanding how they work. Put HD and non-HD units side-by-side on store shelves and there will be lots of people who buy the cheaper one just because it's cheaper without looking at the features.

Then people will move to HD and find that they dropped $200 or more on a non-HD dual-tuner Tivo that is now "useless". "I need to replace it with an HD Tivo? But I can't transfer the lifetime sub to an HD Tivo? Tivo sucks."

Put one unit on the shelf that does it all. It will be cheap soon enough, just like every other electronic product.
wouldworker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 01:00 PM   #3 (Print)
nhaigh

Dual tuners are less important to me that integrated for the picture quality preferably HD, though dual tuners would be nice. For me if I wanted two tuners on analogue cable now I'd just buy two TiVo's and use MRV.

I reckon the whole two tuner thing would go away if they came out with collaborative scheduling to run alongside MRV. One to do list spread over n+ TiVo's on a home network.
nhaigh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 01:26 PM   #4 (Print)
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Don't have to have a dual-tuner Tivo and don't really need one (already have 3 networked stand-alones). I only want a cable HD Tivo. Would love for it to have dual tuners, but mainly want the HD capability.

The dual tuners on my Comcast 6412 are VERY nice, so I would hope Tivo would also take that path with any cable HD box they might develop, if for no other reason than matching the competition.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:58 PM   #5 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

The day will come I will want HD and I would rather any dual tuner TiVos I buy have HD capability for future use. It is all moot for now since my sig links to a post that the next TiVo will be a dual tuner HD capable DVR.

so check the price on that and if it is too high then start the thread getting support for a cheaper NON HD TiVo
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 08:08 PM   #6 (Print)
petew

It seems extremley likely that 2009 will be chosen as the date when all TV transmissions must be converted to Digital. Some cable CO's will convert these OTA signals into analog, but I suspect most will transition to all Digital (Comcast is already testing such a system). Once this happens the HD Tivo will work without a cable box while the SA Tivo will need a cable box.

Home Media Option: $0
No conflicts and no arguments: Priceless
petew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2005, 10:43 PM   #7 (Print)
vman41

I just barely tolerated the Series 2 picture degradation over direct analog broadcast. My next DVR is going to have one or more ATSC tuners, TiVo won't have me as a customer if they continue to peddle analog units.
vman41 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 01:14 AM   #8 (Print)
mportuesi
glassy-eyed zombie

My preference is the other way around -- I would rather have a single tuner HD unit with ATSC and Cable capability, rather than a dual-tuner unit. I don't watch so much TV that conflicts are a common issue, and when they do happen they're usually easily resolved through repeat showings. The biggest scheduling conflict I've had in three years of TiVo was this season, when "House" was scheduled at the same time as "My Name is Earl", and I can live with it.
mportuesi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 09:34 AM   #9 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mportuesi
My preference is the other way around -- I would rather have a single tuner HD unit with ATSC and Cable capability, rather than a dual-tuner unit. I don't watch so much TV that conflicts are a common issue, and when they do happen they're usually easily resolved through repeat showings. The biggest scheduling conflict I've had in three years of TiVo was this season, when "House" was scheduled at the same time as "My Name is Earl", and I can live with it.
I respectfully disagree. I get all my HD OTA, and several times, there's been a conflict with primetime major network HD shows I like to watch. And they generally don't carry those in repeats until months later. I'll take my CC HD TiVo in dual tuner, please

Bierboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 11:18 AM   #10 (Print)
d_anders

Agreed. The next series of SA tivo's (series 3?) should be dual recording HD, with backwards capability and inputs to record standard OTA/cable ready signals.

I suppose to make the transition, they should have dual cable card slots (if chosen), along with 2 serial ports and 2 irda ports for the "transitional" period that will require two standard cable/sat boxes until a switch to a true multi-stream HD feed is available.

I'm really hungry to see the hardware reference architecture for Series 3 (HD units). Hopefully, it will only be a matter of days from hopeful announcement at CES.

d_anders is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 11:39 AM   #11 (Print)
MickeS

Wow, I'm outvoted for sure.

Good point about the transition to all-digital in 2009, though.
MickeS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 12:34 PM   #12 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Wow, I'm outvoted for sure.

That's okay...to each his own. I personally love HD, but, for some folks, it doesn't make much difference. That's what makes the world go around -- various opinions.

I had the Sony DHG-HDD500 for about three weeks, but returned it to Crutchfield, deciding instead to be patient ( ) and wait for the TiVo HD SA box. It worked fine doing what it's supposed to do (record and playback HD), and, now that I don't have it, I really miss watching all my favorite programs in HD. But, for me, the TiVo interface and program guide is very well worth waiting for (and paying for -- even the monthly/lifetime fee).

Old 12-28-2005, 02:53 PM   #13 (Print)
dt_dc
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
Actually for Tivo ... the digital transition comes even earlier. March 1, 2007. That's the date that the FCC has mandated that all products with NTSC tuners must also include an ATSC tuner.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publ...OC-262013A1.pdf

So ... if Tivo was to come out TODAY with an analog SD-only dual tuner Tivo similar to today's stand-alones (but with two tuners) ... they'd only have 14 months to sell them. Pretty short product life cycle ...

Now, they could do dual ATSC tuners but only include an SD MPEG decoder. However, that really wouldn't bring the price down very much.
dt_dc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 03:07 PM   #14 (Print)
mportuesi
glassy-eyed zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy
I respectfully disagree. I get all my HD OTA, and several times, there's been a conflict with primetime major network HD shows I like to watch. And they generally don't carry those in repeats until months later. I'll take my CC HD TiVo in dual tuner, please

It's pretty clear then, it has to be dual-tuner and HD.

Each of us has our little "pet feature" we must have, and unless TiVo wants to design a whole product family to accomodate each one of us, their next model will have to have a feature set to appeal to us all.

By no means am I complaining about having dual-tuners and HD. There are definitely times when I will find the dual tuners handy. And I'm willing to pay extra to get them in the same box with HD. It's just that I want it now.
mportuesi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #15 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mportuesi
It's pretty clear then, it has to be dual-tuner and HD.

Each of us has our little "pet feature" we must have, and unless TiVo wants to design a whole product family to accomodate each one of us, their next model will have to have a feature set to appeal to us all.

By no means am I complaining about having dual-tuners and HD. There are definitely times when I will find the dual tuners handy. And I'm willing to pay extra to get them in the same box with HD. It's just that I want it now.
And, lest we forget...a dual HD tuner box will also record SD...and MUCH more SD than HD .