Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #1 (Print)
smokie

iPod problems

I have a lightly used 40gb iPod. I took it away for a week's holiday :-).

It played tracks OK wehen it found them, but it sometimes skipped tracks. If I used the < and > buttons it would find them. SO I thought I'd reformat it and reload it when I got back.

That was over a week ago. I'm now concerned that I have caused permanent damage. I get an exclamation mark and folder icon after boot up (most times). I've actually got as far as a menu occassionally but never to the point of re-loading my music. (well, once it did but it got to song 100 ish then crashed...)

I've found how to boot the iPod into Diagnostic mode and, although I don't really know what I'm looking for, it all seems OK. I can also (usually) mount it in disk mode on my computer, and it apepars to have software on it (operating system). Wheether it's lost a boot record or I have some physical problem I can't tell.

Two questions:

Does anyone know a *good* iPod support forum or location? Many of them seem occupied by loads of people with problems but few people with answers.

Does anyone know of a source for (cheap) parts, or have any idea which part I might need (disk is c £90, mobo is much cheaper - alternative is Apple, £169 for a replacement, which is seeming a good option except I'm not really sure there's anything wrong with it!)

TIA.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:48 AM   #2 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

I had similar problems with a 40Gb iPod. Putting the thing to my ear when it was struggling strongly suggested to me that it was a hard disk problem, but its diagnostsics refused to accept that!

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 06:12 AM   #3 (Print)
smokie

I certainly have an intermittent clicking which I would normally associate with a disk problem. Of course my concern is that I cough up for a disk, which fixes the click but nothing else...

None of the diags seem to indicate a problem.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:14 AM   #4 (Print)
paulpenny

have you tried restoring it? you need to go to the utilities folder and find the ipod updater software. run it and select restore. it will wipe the disk clean and make sure you have the latest software running. you can then synch it back to itunes.

i dont know if it will fix it but its worth a try.

(i am assuming you have a mac when directing you where to find the updater software - if you have a pc i am sure someone else can tell you where to find it)

Old 12-15-2005, 07:37 AM   #5 (Print)
josephs911

visit www.ipodhacks.com there forum there is very helpful...
josephs911 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 09:41 AM   #6 (Print)
Major dude

My 1st gen iPod did the same & needed a new logic board rather than a hdd. Still cost me £79 to repair using www.ukipodrepairs.co.uk. They provided a good service though and can be contacted on info@ukipodrepairs.co.uk>
Major dude is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 02:06 PM   #7 (Print)
smokie

Yes, I've tried the restore with original and new versions of software, also deleted iTunes and re-installed, and just about every imaginable combination thereof. It was trying to do the Restore that brought on the initial problem.

However Major Dude's link is interesting. Their diagnosis of a faulty disk (mine clicks remember?) includes:

Sad ipod logo on screen.
Folder and ! on screen (which can't be fixed with restore).
Apple logo + clicking/whirring or constant rebooting.
-36 error when attempting to load music from iTunes.
iPod skips through songs.

I have nearly the full set, so it looks like a knackered disk.

Will spend some time on ipodhacks before splashing out... (it just seems bizarre that I can do a lot with it, including see the files on it in Disk Mode, and it was working fine before I went away - just the restore brought on the problem)

Thanks for advice all.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:37 PM   #8 (Print)
smokie

Final update. I suddenly realised that I was given the iPod for Christmas last year. Although it was bought in early Nov, through eBay, I didn't register it until 27 Dec (so Apple tell me!). So it's gone back under warranty...and I'm expecting a new replacement!