Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2004, 06:09 PM   #31 (Print)
hnovick

dd_rescue

I'm trying to use dd_rescue! when I enter the copy comand, I get ..open device /dev/hdd failed permission denied. I'm trying to rescue a maxtor 120 to a WD 120 (/dev/hdc) booting to knoppix shows both drives? help!
hnovick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-24-2004, 08:13 PM   #32 (Print)
Robert S

You need to be root to open raw disk devices.

Old 07-29-2004, 09:10 AM   #33 (Print)
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

I was thinking about doing the dd_rescue for my failed hard drive in my Sat-T60. A friend was going to help but I will be charged $10 and hour for his time. Excluding the actual copy time, which he won't charge me for, how long do you think it would take to try this process? With and without problems. Any help would be appreciated!
BeanMeScot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-30-2004, 11:01 AM   #34 (Print)
timlinca

Thanks guys! I have a Sat-t60 that had 2-120G Maxtors that were over 2 years old. Lately I was getting GSODs about once a week. I bought 2-160G Seagates to replace but was not able to do a dd copy on Disk A. I would encounter read errors. I tried "conv=noerror,sync" and was able to complete the copy but then the two new disks wouldn't boot. It was the infinite power up loop.

So after reading this thread, I downloaded Knoppix 3.4 and burned a CD. I decided to forgo the log file and just run it to see what would happen. I didn't use the -v option. I just let it tell me the statistics on screen as it did it's job. The transfer rate was on the average 12MB/s (!) At times it would burst to 18. The copy was done in 2h 50m (approx).

The bottom line, it booted! Thanks for all the help guys.

Tim

p.s. I booted linux using "Knoppix 2 dma".
The command I used for dd_rescue was:
dd_rescue -B 1b -b 2M -A /dev/hda /dev/hdd

timlinca is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-28-2005, 01:30 PM   #35 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
Whoa - thread revival time!

I will now have to try dd_rhelp and some of the other tools on a handmade boot disk this weekend, but what I've tried so far ... (dying 80GB B disk, WD, on a 120-80 dual disk 240 Series 2)
0. TiVo reboots/freezes if I access any recorded programs - by playback, MRV or TTG - for over 5 minutes or so.
1. Ultimate Boot CD - WD diagnostics fail when checking this disk
2. Ghost on the G4L boot disk (runs a barebones Linux kernel, and supports SATA etc ... may come in handy if I use dd_rhelp as propsed with an intermediate dump disk). Anyway - ghost crashes out at 0% citing irrecoverable problems.
3. dd_rescue sitting in the RAW tools menu on the g4l disk (I was surprised it was there!). This got to around 55Gigs copied (out of 80), and died overnight, with no help/output other than the gazillion failures it reported and filled up my dmesg buffer with

Maybe I should run i from the prompt instead of the chintzy GUI that the g4l CD launches it via (and returns to, upon completion/crash).

Haven't popped the destination (identical sized, but different LBA characteristics Seagate 80Gigger from Humax DRT800)

Anyway - thanks for starting up a great thread, and hopefully some of you OP'ers are around if I get stuck again and need more help

Old 09-29-2005, 12:26 AM   #36 (Print)
Max_Power

is there a way to copy just tivo settings/SPs' thumbs? or does dd restore just copy entire drive.....Lost
Max_Power is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-29-2005, 12:24 PM   #37 (Print)
azitnay

Send a message via ICQ to azitnay Send a message via AIM to azitnay Send a message via MSN to azitnay
dd / dd_rescue will always make an exact copy (or as exact as it can barring hard drive problems, at least).

To try copying only settings, you can try an mfsbackup with the -f 9999 option, and hope for the best.

Drew
azitnay is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 09:12 AM   #38 (Print)
pixlpush

I'm going to be using dd_rescue very soon to copy a 300gig drive to another 300gig drive. Thanks to this post and a few others I'm fairly confident it shouldn't be to much trouble. However, I don't yet have the drives hooked up to my PC but I'm curious how I can double check which drive had the Tivo content and which is the blank drive in Linux. I just want to make absolutely sure I don't start writing from the blank disk to the Tivo drive I'm trying to copy, that would be really bad. At any rate what the best way to determine which drive is which? If your going to tell me to cd into the 2 discs and just do an ls, I'm going to feel pretty stupid.
pixlpush is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #39 (Print)
azitnay

Send a message via ICQ to azitnay Send a message via AIM to azitnay Send a message via MSN to azitnay
Assuming the drives are different brands, I'm pretty sure it prints the brand of each drive in the messages displayed to the screen when the CD boots. You can then Shift+PageUp until you get back up to the list of IDE devices, and it'll tell you what each hdX corresponds to.

Otherwise, just be extra careful in hooking up each drive to its corresponding IDE position, and you'll theoretically know exactly which hdX each drive corresponds to .

Drew
Old 10-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #40 (Print)
pixlpush

unfortunately they're exactly the same brand and model drive. I figure I'll hook up one, boot the system, make sure it's attached where I think it is and record the serial number if it's displayed. Then I'll attach the other drive and see where they end up. Hopefully it will be clear which is which but the consequences of getting them mixed up is rather extreme so I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks for the tip.
pixlpush is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-06-2005, 07:55 PM   #41 (Print)
azitnay

Seems like a reasonable way to error-proof your procedure.

Drew
Old 10-06-2005, 11:30 PM   #42 (Print)
Zimtech

Knoppix monitor power save question

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but how do you turn the monitor back on if it goes into power save mode while running knoppix. I'm currently running a dd_rescue in knoppix (text only) and when I checked on the status after a few hours, the screen is black but the green light is lit on the monitor. The drive light is flashing so I assume the dd_rescue is still running without a problem, but I'm not sure how to bring the monitor back on to see where it's at. I'm assuming that it's in power save mode. I would normally just hit a key on the keyboard but I'm hesitant to do that since I have no experience with knoppix or dd_rescue. I don't want to take the chance of screwing up the process. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Zimtech is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 12:12 AM   #43 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Hit the Control key, or any key that won't hurt your process, so pretty much most anything but ^C. But Ctrl or Alt is safest.

Alt-F2 should bring you to a fresh root prompt. Don't worry, your other stuff (dd) is running back on Alt-F1.

Old 10-07-2005, 07:20 AM   #44 (Print)
Zimtech

Thank you very much. Worked like a charm.
Zimtech is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:08 AM   #45 (Print)
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar
But Ctrl or Alt is safest.

No love for Shift?

Drew
Old 10-07-2005, 07:46 PM   #46 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
No love for Shift?

Drew

THANKS!! THANKS A LOT!!

Shift and I have a HORRIBLE past, and you dredged it up.

Really, this is just Freaking great.

*sniff*

I HATE YOU!

Old 10-16-2005, 01:48 PM   #47 (Print)
slate

This might not be useful, but it's a data point. I just completed a dd_rescue, copying 120 gigs from a non-corrupted drive to a 160 new drive. The process took about 1.5 hours. I used the switch -b 7M because both drives had 8 Mb caches. I stuck with 7 because I didn't want to go over the cache limit due to some uknown factors in how the software works.

I used the most recent knoppix DVD release, and booted to runlevel 2 using "knoppix 2 dma" at the command line.

I tried out the -i (for interactive) command switch for dd_rescue thinking it would act as a safety net in case I got my in and out drives messed up. Turns out, it asked me to confirm overwriting my unformatted, blank drive anyway.
slate is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-17-2005, 10:52 AM   #48 (Print)
Nomarian

The dd_rescue time will definily vary depending if you have bad sectors on your hard drive or not. My 250GB copy was on track for a 2 hour copy until it hit the bad sectors. It slowed down so much, it took 12 hours to complete. It actually finished copying the first 160GB in an hour and the rest in 11 hours, so it does depend on if your drive is truly bad or not.
Nomarian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-17-2005, 12:31 PM   #49 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
My update (although already posted elsewhere) bears this out - just 25ish MB dd-ed with thousands of errors overnight, before I aborted it

Old 12-28-2005, 12:10 AM   #50 (Print)
FantMN

My Tivo workstation is a Celeron 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulterzian
Lastly, I have some old Pentium 3 machines laying around, and I was thinking of dedicating one as a Tivo workstation. Do you have any idea about minimum requirements or ideas that would help me out? Oh, one other thing: Where do you get dd_rescue and the associated utilities?
Thank you Very Much. Paul

As it says in the title my current Tivo workstation is a Celeron 666 with 512Mb of memory and a disk controller on the motherboard. I have a 160 GB drive in the system formatted with Linux ext2 filesys. I use the latest Knoppix CD (new user cannot post a url, so it is not a link) with the knoppix 2 dma boot parms to run dd_rescue and other utillities. Right now I stil swap in a win98 HD with teraterm to do the tivo serial. I have not had much time to get minicom in knoppix to work as the serial terminal.

My transfer rates with DMA are also around 15MB/Sec

Fant
FantMN is offline Report Bad Post Report Post