Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2005, 11:50 AM   #1 (Print)
benallenuk

Organising Programme Data for 24hrs

Whats Tivo doing? Ive moved back to my girlfriends for 3 weeks. I changed the postcode in the guided setup and it downloaded the relavent data. I have now had it plugged in for 24hrs and its still saying "Organising Proramme Guide Data. Pick Programmes to Record will be available in 4-8 Hours"

Ive had to schedule all my xmas recordings with the live tv guide!

I dont fancy doing a guided seyup again as Ive not access to a phone line.

Any Ideas guys?

Ben

Old 12-19-2005, 12:28 PM   #2 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Did you change the source too? If you changed to Sky then ity can take a very long time.

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 06:17 AM   #3 (Print)
benallenuk

Nope just changed to a different region of analogue cable. Still says it doin it.

Strange

Old 12-20-2005, 06:29 AM   #4 (Print)
Ian_m

I assume that if this an upgraded TiVo (ie bigger disk fitted) then it has the correct size swapfile.

I have seen TiVo's fail to index when there was no swap file, too small a swap file (64MB) as well as swap file not being initialised.
Ian_m is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2005, 06:39 AM   #5 (Print)
benallenuk

Oh bugger. Ive just done a re-image of my tivo drive. Its a 120GB imaged from a 40GB original Tivo Image. (which I downloaded)

The commands I used are.

mkdir /mnt/dos
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos
mfsrestore -s 127 -zpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb
mfsadd -x /dev/hdb

Then I put the drive in tivo and it booted fine.

Have I done wrong?

Bugger

Old 12-20-2005, 06:47 AM   #6 (Print)
Ian_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by benallenuk
Oh bugger. Ive just done a re-image of my tivo drive. Its a 120GB imaged from a 40GB original Tivo Image. (which I downloaded)

Not too sure on your command line, but look in the kernel log after a reboot to see if there are any error messages in mounting the swap file.

Errors that have caused mine were once forgetting the -s parameter and using the LBA48 CD to copy a drive under 137GB. (the LBA48 copykern process does something special with the swap file to initialise it). With the second error I was able to initialise and mount the swap partition from the telnet prompt to recoved the situation. Luckily for me these were just "test" images so nothing lost.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:04 AM   #7 (Print)
benallenuk

I used the Hinsdale Boot Cd, and did use the "s" option, because I remember I typed it wrong the first time and it came up with a syntax error. Ive not got telnet working on this image yet because I plan to get a tivonet card after xmas. I cant look at the logs via backdoor as I cant get onto any page to enter the B D 2 5, they all say "organising data.......'"

Doh

Ben

Old 12-20-2005, 10:18 AM   #8 (Print)
Ian_m

Can't really suggest anything majorly useful to help in your stuck situations, but options I can think of are:-

- Buy a ready configured drive. Thats what I did on my drive failure, as the people supplying the drives know more than I do about TiVo images.
- Pull drive and re-image.
- Bring your Cachecard purchase forward to today (and maybe even get a ready imaged drive as well). Expensive but could be in your hands by Thursday/Friday, ready for Xmas.
- Try rerunning guided setup with just aerial to see if it completes so you can enable backdoors to see if swap file is OK/correct.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:14 AM   #9 (Print)
aerialplug
Expert TiVo User

Location: London (near enough anyway.. people laugh when I say the name of the place I actually come from!)
Is the swap file an issue with 120Mb disks? I thought resizing the swap file only came into play on bigger disk sizes. I didn't do anything to mine when I upgraded to 120Mb...

Old 12-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #10 (Print)
Ian_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerialplug
Is the swap file an issue with 120Mb disks? I thought resizing the swap file only came into play on bigger disk sizes. I didn't do anything to mine when I upgraded to 120Mb...

Yes it is if you use the wrong CD (ie much later versions on MFS tools, especially the LBA48 versions) and make a large swap file it is not initialised properly and the TiVo fails to mount it. (over 128MB I think). There is an error line in the kernel log about not being able to mount the swap file and also the programme indexing never finishes.

From one of my previous posts when I first bumped into this:-
Quote:
In my case it was because I put -s 300 in the MFSRESTORE line (ie for large disks) when the destination was only 120GB (a test disk to test a suspect TiVo). If swap is bigger than 128MB it is not used/found due to a bug in MFSTools. You can see the error in the kernel log at startup. If you use the correct LBA48 boot CD and copykern the bigger than 128MB swap file is correctly setup.

In my case I did, from Telnet

mkswap /dev/hda8
swapon -a

and it started using 128MB swap, and guide data loaded successfully.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #11 (Print)
benallenuk

Thanks guys, I will try that when I have telnet access back! Its seems to be running fine, just cant get into season passes, wishlists etc.

But because Ive got all this extra time on my hands, Its ok to select what I want to watch on a daily basis! LOL

Will let you know what the problem when I found out!

Thanks

Old 12-29-2005, 06:23 AM   #12 (Print)
benallenuk

LOL, just came back off holiday yesterday, and its still not finished organising stuff. Ive been reading that this maybe have been caused because I didnt use the copy kern command.

Do i need to use this as my disk is only 120gb?

Infact do i need a swap file if my disk is only 120gb?

Cheers

Ben

Old 12-29-2005, 09:00 AM   #13 (Print)
mike0151
A Friend of Dot

Send a message via MSN to mike0151
The LBA kernel is only needed if you are accessing >137GB on a drive. All TiVos need swap space, the larger the drive, the more needed. A 120GB disk will (IIRC) work fine on the standard 64MB swap size but if you specified >127MB then you will have problems as MFSTOOLS will not correctly initialise the swap, due to a bug.

HTH
Mike

Old 12-29-2005, 09:37 AM   #14 (Print)
benallenuk

Thanks for the answers guys. I havnt got telnet access yet, so will have to re-image the drive again. Can someone asnwer a couple of questions:

1. Can I sort out my swap file via a boot cd? OR will I have to re-image the drive?

2. Which version of the msf boot cd do I use (I have a 120Gb drive), is the LBA48 boot CD for drives larger than 137GB

3. I dont have to use the copy kern with a 120gb drive, right?

4. Why doesnt hinsdale say nethin about copy kern??

5. If i reimage the drive with a 40gb image, what command do I use to restore from tivo.bak?

mfsrestore -s ??? -zpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb

Thanks

Ben

Old 12-29-2005, 09:44 AM   #15 (Print)
mike0151
A Friend of Dot

Send a message via MSN to mike0151
1) depends on the setup of that disk, need much more info.
2) for a 120GB drive the standard MFSTOOLS 2 boot CD is fine.
3) correct
4) not read Hinsdale recently but maybe it hasn't been updated with the new info about bigger disks.
5) can't remember exactly but that looks almost right. I would suggest -s 127 (in case you wanted to add a second drive in the future) and -xzpi to automatically expand to use the extra 80GB.

Mike