July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2003, 07:54 PM   #31 (Print)
JJBliss

Quote:
Originally posted by gamehendge2000
it also did not seem to truly increase buffer to more than 30 mins as reported in above post..

I did not try pausing it and seeing what collects, but at least while watching live TV nothing really changes

SA series 1, 3.0

err..... It works for most folks.

I have tested a version that allows for user selectable input, and tested it up to two hours.

Works fine.

Why dont ya try it again.
JJBliss is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2003, 08:00 PM   #32 (Print)
SR712

Quote:
Originally posted by gamehendge2000
it also did not seem to truly increase buffer to more than 30 mins as reported in above post..

I did not try pausing it and seeing what collects, but at least while watching live TV nothing really changes

SA series 1, 3.0

Don't be fooled by the seemingly wacky progress bar onscreen. You might actually have 60 minutes, and you just can't tell because of the oddness bar.
SR712 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-15-2003, 03:11 PM   #33 (Print)
lovebomber

Does this hack just increase the buffer size?? A way cool hack for those in the know would keep the buffer from resetting. (Even for just the 30 minutes would be great)

Nothing worse than being 25 minutes behind in an NFL game, accidentally hitting the channel button, and the buffer starting over. Tivo should leave the buffer on through channel changes so you can flip around without your girlfriend getting pissed.
lovebomber is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-15-2003, 03:39 PM   #34 (Print)
JJBliss

Quote:
Originally posted by lovebomber
Does this hack just increase the buffer size?? A way cool hack for those in the know would keep the buffer from resetting. (Even for just the 30 minutes would be great)

Nothing worse than being 25 minutes behind in an NFL game, accidentally hitting the channel button, and the buffer starting over. Tivo should leave the buffer on through channel changes so you can flip around without your girlfriend getting pissed.

It should be painfully obvious that the bufferhack is ONLY to increase the buffer size. What would give you ANY indication that it was anything else?

Next:
How would it be possible for a DTivo to change the channel AND keep the buffer going......

OH, I KNOW.....

You could change the channel on the OTHER TUNER, while the buffer on the first tuner keeps buffering

*OR*, hit the record button, then do whatever you want.....

Or wasn't that incredibly apparent?
JJBliss is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-15-2003, 04:17 PM   #35 (Print)
lovebomber

I know! Not everybody has a Dtivo!

I know! Anyone with better than a third grade education knows what a rhetorical question is!

Instead of posting crap, why don't you READ and see that 1/2 the posts deal with SA units!! And YES, a keep going buffer would be a great idea as not everyone wants to buy 30 Tivo tuners and subscriptions to cover shortcomings in features.

With 30 billion posts to this forum, you sure are cranky.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:35 PM   #36 (Print)
BBQ Chicken
Bling Bling

Quote:
I know! Not everybody has a Dtivo!

I know! Anyone with better than a third grade education knows what a rhetorical question is!

Instead of posting crap, why don't you READ and see that 1/2 the posts deal with SA units!! And YES, a keep going buffer would be a great idea as not everyone wants to buy 30 Tivo tuners and subscriptions to cover shortcomings in features.

With 30 billion posts to this forum, you sure are cranky.
Uhh, he actually codes and contributes useful hacks, etc. what exactly have you done?
BBQ Chicken is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-15-2003, 10:44 PM   #37 (Print)
lovebomber

Yeah, I know! That's why I posted the '30 Billion posts' part. Jeez, does no one understand what they read?
Old 10-16-2003, 06:09 AM   #38 (Print)
disco
stayin' alive.

Send a message via ICQ to disco Send a message via AIM to disco Send a message via MSN to disco Send a message via Yahoo to disco
Ok kids, let's all kiss and make up...

While your hack, lovebomber, would be INCREDIBLY hard to implement (probably impossible), it has been suggested to TiVo on various occasions. They said they found through testing that users get too confused when they are actually WANTING to change the channel and the buffer stays, than if the buffer is flushed.

Mistaken key presses, though, are frequent with me and my fat fingers...and I'd love to see this looked into further.

Old 10-16-2003, 07:50 AM   #39 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster

Send a message via AIM to David Platt
Quote:

Wow, I guess my junior high/high school/college education was wasted. I had no idea you didn't expent an answer to a question that you asked.

Just a hint: without a 'tone of voice' to go along with the words, it's sometimes very difficult to tell the true intention of a message, such as if a question is rhetorical or not.

Old 12-18-2004, 12:02 PM   #40 (Print)
Casper42

Send a message via AIM to Casper42
I know I'm bumping an ancient post, but it seemed to be the best discussion listed when I searched for "bufferhack" as mentioned by other more recent threads.

Has anyone had any luck REDUCING the buffer from 30 mins down to something else?

I am hoping to use a few S1 SA TiVos as Camera Servers for surveilance, but the old 1 hour recording x 24 means if I wanted to see what happened, I would have to watch the footage. I am going to try to use an old PC with an X10 interface along with some X10 Motion detectors, and when the motion detector sends its ON signal, have the PC then execute a script which tells the TiVo to start recording the current channel. When the motion detector stops seeing motion and times out (configureable) it sends a STOP X10 call. I will use this stop X10 call to play another script which will tell the TiVo to change channels and then say Yes to stop recording (This seems like the least number of IR Codes to send, and since I'm recording off RCA inputs, changing the channel does nothing)

All In all, I wouldnt need to do any of this if the TiVo had a one touch record and one touch stop mode. Then I could use the cheesy X10 "VCR Commander" to send those IR Codes without the need for a PC to manage all this.
Casper42 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-18-2004, 02:39 PM   #41 (Print)
Fozzie

The options in Hackmanager start at 15 mins then go up in 15 min increments to 180 mins; I've only used 60 mins so don't know if the 15 mins works although I see no reason why it shouldn't.
Fozzie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post