July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2003, 03:13 PM   #1 (Print)
hookbill
Feathered Member

Question Joe Schmo....It's a hit!!!!!

The reality show that isn't real, Joe Schmoe premiers tonight at 9:00 p.m. on TNT.......whoops, I mean Spike TV.

I plan to TiVo it, then will see about an SP. So will it hit or miss?

And I'm curious about the folks who hate reality tv. Will they tune in?

Last edited by hookbill : 10-17-2003 at 01:01 PM.
hookbill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-02-2003, 05:01 PM   #2 (Print)
mwhip
Tell your friends!!

Send a message via MSN to mwhip
Here is what I don't understand:

It is a fake reality TV show. Where they take a real person tell him he is on a reality show, and he really is not.

So this is still a reality show right?

Xbox Live gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-02-2003, 05:31 PM   #3 (Print)
markb

Quote:
Originally posted by mwhip
So this is still a reality show right?

Uhh.. yeah. But the reality show he thinks he is on is not the one he is really on. From looking at the web site, it sounds like the prize money is real, but I don't see how he can win or lose the money if he is the only competitor.

It will be interesting to see how much parody of other reality shows they can get away with without "Joe" realizing that something is not right.
markb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-02-2003, 06:33 PM   #4 (Print)
unoriginal
$29.95

Thumbs down

The ptcher throws the ball, a swing, and the ball hits the batter right in the nuts! That's gotta hurt!

All words above are not actual sentences but random letters, spaces and the occasional punctuation. I can not be held responsible for the meaning you get from these random letters. I can however be held responsible for the spaces.
unoriginal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-02-2003, 09:47 PM   #5 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Here's another thread I started a while back. There were very few responses so I figured the show isn't very good either. I have not watched it as I've taken on a new philosophy about channels that use stupid animations to promote upcoming shows. I don't watch them.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:35 PM   #6 (Print)
Fleegle
Criminally Insane

I may be in the minority here, but I thought this was hysterical! I laughed my ass off through teh whole thing.

Ashes to ashes,
Dust to dust
Gina,
You're dead to us.

I think it's a great gag. I gave it a Season pass.

Old 09-03-2003, 02:18 AM   #7 (Print)
EchoBravo
Live From The Future

Season Pass here, too. Loved it. After the worst Big Brother ever this season, it's great to see the genre spoofed. The poor schlub known as Joe Schmoe is so hilarious in his every man stupidity, there's just got to be a Wal*Mart joke in there somewhere. The unexpected pleasure is the over-the-top host. Spoofing the cheesiness of the Survivor host... Classic!

Plus, the women on this show... Outstanding. Take that Jun, Alison and Ericka!

Old 09-03-2003, 02:22 AM   #8 (Print)
EchoBravo
Live From The Future

And let's nail down who they're spoofing:

The host... Survivor
The stereotypical housemates... Every reality show ever
The strangers in a house... Big Brother/The Real World
Diary room... The Real World/Big Brother
Immunity challenges... Survivor/Big Brother
The way the vote is conducted... Survivor
Remaining housemates comment on person voted off... Big Brother
Spoiler: Alicia Keys voted off first... Okay, well that's a first!

I'm sure I'm missing some... What else?

The best line of the night, BTW, came from the host. Something to the effect of "One of you will leave the 'Lap of Luxury' and return to your pathetic existence... Working for The Man."

Ahhh, good times.

Last edited by EchoBravo : 09-03-2003 at 03:34 AM.
EchoBravo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-03-2003, 06:09 AM   #9 (Print)
disco
stayin' alive.

Send a message via ICQ to disco Send a message via AIM to disco Send a message via MSN to disco Send a message via Yahoo to disco
Re: Joe Schmoe..Will it Hit or Miss

Quote:
Originally posted by hookbill
[B... tonight at 9:00 p.m. on TNT.......whoops, I mean Spike TV.[/B]
Whoops, TNT never changed...it was TNN.

Old 09-03-2003, 08:08 AM   #10 (Print)
Fleegle
Criminally Insane

Quote:
Originally posted by EchoBravo
And let's nail down who they're spoofing:

The host... Survivor
Spoiler: Alicia Keys voted off first... Okay, well that's a first!

The mansion and the way teh host arrived reminded me of Joe Millionaire. "Kip" is my favorite so far. He's hysterical! A Cuban gay who's neither

Old 09-03-2003, 08:18 AM   #11 (Print)
RisenNDeed

I'll likly set an SP for this is well, which shouldn't conflict with anything since it's on 7 times a week.

My biggest complaint is the commercials for the show, while I am watching it.

And the biggest question is, how can this guy return to his life after they're done making such a hugh fool of him.
RisenNDeed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-03-2003, 08:21 AM   #12 (Print)
Fleegle
Criminally Insane

The aspect I liked about it is that they have it all planned out, but Matt, (His name is Matt, right?), is a total wildcard. He unknowingly ruined the plans for both of the games and left the producers scrambling.

Old 09-03-2003, 08:57 AM   #13 (Print)
tanstaafl
Spawn of Cthulhu

Quote:
Originally posted by RisenNDeed
And the biggest question is, how can this guy return to his life after they're done making such a hugh fool of him.

There was an article on the show in the paper yesterday. It said that after finding out that he had been duped, the guy has refused to do any appearances, interviews or anything else to promote the show, so it seems he didn't take it too well...

#86 When the Evil Overlord tries to guilt-trip me by claiming that I'll be responsible for something he plans to do if I don't cooperate with him, I'll mercilessly quote Ayn Rand to him.
tanstaafl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-03-2003, 09:51 AM   #14 (Print)
JTAnderson

After reading a review in the LA Times that had me ready for some hilarity, it turned out I was mildly amused several times. I'll give it another chance, but it's definitely on the bubble.
JTAnderson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-03-2003, 09:57 AM   #15 (Print)
Fleegle
Criminally Insane

I think they had to keep it toned down at first to lull him into thinking this is all real. From some of the things they said in last night's episode, it sounds like they have some weird things planned. I'm pretty sure that Dr. Pat is going to take a flying leap into the deep end, and I'm not talking about that pool...

Old 09-03-2003, 10:01 AM   #16 (Print)
Fleegle
Criminally Insane

Did anyone notive that the "Collector's plates" had "L. L." at the bottom, presumably for Lap of Luxary? I sat there thinking it would have been hysterical had they used the complete abbreviation for the show... L. o. L. !

Old 09-03-2003, 01:01 PM   #17 (Print)
hookbill
Feathered Member

Wink Re: Re: Joe Schmoe..Will it Hit or Miss

Quote:
Originally posted by disco
Whoops, TNT never changed...it was TNN.

Yep, but nobody noticed I misspelled schmo...or at least they didn't say anything.

I plan on watching it today, it does sounds interesting.

Oh, I did do a search to see if an existing thread was started on this before I posted and the message I got was "search engine down". Sorry if I stepped on anybodys toes.

Old 09-03-2003, 01:38 PM   #18 (Print)
tanstaafl
Spawn of Cthulhu

There's a theory running around the net that there is a double-double-cross going on with the show.

Consider how often Matt has already "messed up" the producer's plans and forced them to scramble to recover. (The underwear thing, for example.)

Suppose Matt is really in on it too, but the "improv actors" and "producers" don't know it? Suppose what is really going on is that Matt is supposed to keep "messing up" and the real show is watching the rest of the cast scramble to keep the "deception" up.

Thoughts?

#86 When the Evil Overlord tries to guilt-trip me by claiming that I'll be responsible for something he plans to do if I don't cooperate with him, I'll mercilessly quote Ayn Rand to him.
tanstaafl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-03-2003, 02:24 PM   #19 (Print)
groundcrack
Advanced Member

music

Quote:
The host... Survivor

Did anyone notice that they actually played the exact same background music from the "Mole" and some music that was very similar to "Survivor"

P.S. I'm a big Fan of Ralph Garmon from the "Kevin & Bean" radio show. Others that have made it big from that show are Adam Carola(well, kinda big), and Jimmy Kimmal. Also, Carson Daily used to work for KROQ... & and MTV DJ. chick named Kennidy. Kevin & Bean seem to be the only ones who get left behind.

P.S.S. Did I forget to mention that Chuck Roast, from the Howard Stern show used to be a DJ at Kroq(in LA)?
groundcrack is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-03-2003, 03:00 PM   #20 (Print)
dthmj
Smiling Again

I've only watched the first 15 minutes of the show - but my husband and I both commented on the fact that "Joe Schmo" must really be in on it... There were things he said that no sane human would do... Like outing the gay guy *immediatly*.

I think the only ones being "duped" is the viewing audience...
dthmj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-03-2003, 08:48 PM   #21 (Print)
Justin526
Wonderbread Supreme

Re: music

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcrack
P.S. I'm a big Fan of Ralph Garmon from the "Kevin & Bean" radio show. Others that have made it big from that show are Adam Carola(well, kinda big), and Jimmy Kimmal. Also, Carson Daily used to work for KROQ... & and MTV DJ. chick named Kennidy. Kevin & Bean seem to be the only ones who get left behind.

P.S.S. Did I forget to mention that Chuck Roast, from the Howard Stern show used to be a DJ at Kroq(in LA)?

Ralph is a very funny guy. You know what they say about the Kevin and Bean Show...it's a springboard to success. Kevin and Bean constantly talk about how everyone that works for them becomes larger than themselves.
Justin526 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-04-2003, 04:21 AM   #22 (Print)
rimler

Quote:
Originally posted by dthmj

I think the only ones being "duped" is the viewing audience...

I was starting to think the whole thing was a fix too, especially after they 'happened' to have a camera on the producers of the show when Matt messed up the hooker contest. Why waste a camera on 'behind the scenes' people? That seemed planned to me. The immediate outting of Kip also made me wonder.

When he messed up the hooker contest I was suprised enough to think 'fix.' But, maybe he had enough time to really think his plan through, maybe even go check out the laundry room. Frankly, that laundry room looked pretty ok to me. The only privacy in the whole place, and you don't have to listen to two people snoring all night long, or getting kicked by the ex-marine dude's jimmy legs. Could he really be that dumb and that smart at the same time?

When the ex-marine guy screwed up the underwear scene though, watching Matt's face, I saw real, honest confusion there, which you wouldn't see if he had tumbled to it. He looked confused and that sold me for a while yet that he's not 'in on it' or 'on to them.'

I hate reality shows and don't watch them, but I thought this was pretty funny. In a cheesy-kinda way.
rimler is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-04-2003, 08:06 AM   #23 (Print)
dthmj
Smiling Again

I watched the rest of it last night - and noticed that at one point Matt said "of all the cast Ashliegh is the b*tch" (I think that is what he said.) The word cast really stood out at me... I've never known a reality show in which they call themselves the cast.
dthmj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-04-2003, 01:18 PM   #24 (Print)
hookbill
Feathered Member

I finally watched it last night and if the audience is the one being duped, well, they got me. I think it's legit....well, I mean I think that Joe Schmo is the one being duped.

I do think that dthmj has a point though if he said cast. It could be a clue, ala the Mole. Time will tell.

I did think the show was pretty funny. My wife watched it with me and I let her decide on whether or not we would do an SP. She said yes, she was into it.

So much for the "First Network for Men".

Old 09-05-2003, 01:34 AM   #25 (Print)
DonCo

I have heard the people on the Big Brother shows (on the online web feed)refer to themselves as cast by mentioning that they will be invited to the "cast party" after the series ends, so maybe they do consider themselves to be the cast of the reality show.

I found myself laughing at some of the situations that "Joe Schmoe" was put in, but then found myself feeling sorry for him since he was being used and seemed so sincere in evaluating other people and giving some of the strange ones the benefit of doubt. I am afraid I will end up feeling embarrassed for him as the show goes on.

Don

Edited to explain the BB people discussed this on the web feed, not on the aired TV show

Last edited by DonCo : 09-05-2003 at 01:43 AM.
DonCo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-05-2003, 01:43 AM   #26 (Print)
GoCubs

Quote:
Originally posted by rimler
I was starting to think the whole thing was a fix too, especially after they 'happened' to have a camera on the producers of the show when Matt messed up the hooker contest. Why waste a camera on 'behind the scenes' people? That seemed planned to me. The immediate outting of Kip also made me wonder.

15 minutes into the show my first gut reaction was that it was all a fix and I still believe it. He fits all the male stereotypes so well that its unbelievable. His lines and behavior are too good, too perfect. The 'mistakes' are set up to quell any thoughts of ours that something is fishy. Someone noted that that his expressions looked so real.. remember, if you can do twenty takes you can always nail it. Plus the moral and privacy issues of screwing with someone's head like that on national TV for an extended period of time are over the line, even for reality shows. Remember the Truman Show? Any lawyers in the house - couldn't Joe file an enormous law suit for something like defamation of character, mental suffering, etc.. They cajoled him into saying that he masturbates! Any other thoughts...

If I'm wrong, I tip my hat to the producer.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:58 PM   #27 (Print)
JustAce

Well when he said he masturbates, he DOES know he is on tv... It's not like they hid the camera for that.
JustAce is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-05-2003, 02:44 PM   #28 (Print)
rich
Final answer?

Quote:
Originally posted by GoCubs
Any lawyers in the house - couldn't Joe file an enormous law suit for something like defamation of character, mental suffering, etc..
I've seen the standard contract for several reality shows and they always spell out that the producers have the right to use the participants' images any way they see fit, whether it is flattering to them or not. I'm sure this show made certain to have the same in their contract. The producers are probably totally protected from a legal standpoint. Moral is another matter.
rich is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-05-2003, 02:44 PM   #29 (Print)
headroll
wife & kid included

what's the twist

.. but there has to be a TWIST.

Possibly Joe Schmoe is in on it, but some or all of the rest of the cast (or even producers) don't know it.

-Roll
headroll is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-05-2003, 02:50 PM   #30 (Print)
muggum

Hey everyone, I'm one of the producers of Joe Schmo. Not sure what the etiquette is about joining a thread about your own show, but here I am nonetheless! If you have any questions about the show, fire away. I may be able to put some rumors to rest, although it may be in my best interest to let the rumor mill grind a little bit! Glad to see some people are enjoying it!

Muggum
muggum is offline Report Bad Post Report Post