TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-25-2005, 11:07 PM   #31 (Print)
purefct

I've been dealing with FWLS for over 6 months now. In February Tivo said the only fix was to delete thumbs or delete everything. I have declined to do this and for 6 months have been using a strict process of reboots, unplugging for 2 to 6 hours, another series of reboots, and then a download which usually failed but provided enough guide data to keep me going. This week I bought another Tivo and had to call customer support. As long as I was there, I complained about my original Tivo's problem. Guess what? There's a Tivo code called "Kickstart" which erases certain files and improves the unit's chances of a successful dala load.

- Unplug your unit for 15 seconds, then plug it back in
- press and hold the Pause button until you see the yellow and orange lights on the display. Release the Pause and immediately press 57. You will have less than 3 seconds to press 5 and then 7.
- The unit will then display the orange tivo screen (if you didn't press 57 in time, this screen will appear anyway). Then after a time a GREEN screen displaying an error message will appear. Eventually it will go away and the standard screens will appear.
- As soon as possible, do a manual reload.
- NOTE - my system was so screwed up I had to perform this operation 4 times before I had a successful download. But while I still have unsuccessful downloads without the "Kickstart", every download with it since (I've done three) has been succsessful. I'm hoping that in time I'll be able to have a normal download, but so far I'm still dealing with error messages due to the extreme length of time since I've had a succsessful "normal" download (such as my available channels being out of date)
purefct is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-12-2005, 07:03 AM   #32 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

I just got the 7.2 update. Out of curiosity, I once again went through the Guide and Thumbed all the programs I knew about. Two days later, my daily download ended with an Error S03. All the symptoms are the same as noted in this thread for "Failure While Loading Data." So, tentatively, I'd say S03 is the new error message for this problem.

TiVo TCD240080 w/ Belkin F5D5050 USB Ethernet Adapter and 160GB 7200RPM Samsung SP1604N drive (150hrs 53mins @ Basic) with 4.0.1 Philips HDR112 w/ TurboNET and 120GB 5400 RPM Maxtor drive (145hrs 6mins @ Basic) with 3.0. Both hooked through powerlines to the internet via LinkSys PLEBR10 PowerLine EtherFast 10/100 Bridges, a D-Link DSS-5+ Switch, a SonicWall SOHO3 Internet Security Appliance, and finally a Toshiba PCX1100U Cable Modem (PCX DOCSIS)
DaveLessnau is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-02-2005, 10:17 AM   #33 (Print)
Your User Name:

Has anyone figured out a fix for this problem yet? I've been dealing with this since the update.

Old 10-02-2005, 01:08 PM   #34 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

If this S03 message is the same as the old "Failed While Loading Data" message from previous versions, then a "Reset Thumb Ratings & Suggestions" should fix it (well, at least on my system). But, so far, I'm "only" getting the S03 message about every other day and rebooting then allows me to successfully complete a call (I was also getting stuck on the "Preparing to Connect" message at the start of the process, but they seem to have gone away for now). I'm continuing to Thumb shows, so I expect I'll be S03ing after every call fairly soon now. Once I get to the point where I have to do several reboots to successfully complete one call, I'll go through the "Reset Thumb Ratings & Suggestions" again and see if it works. If it does, that should be good enough to show that S03 = Failed While Loading Data.

TiVo TCD240080 w/ Belkin F5D5050 USB Ethernet Adapter and 160GB 7200RPM Samsung SP1604N drive (150hrs 53mins @ Basic) with 4.0.1 Philips HDR112 w/ TurboNET and 120GB 5400 RPM Maxtor drive (145hrs 6mins @ Basic) with 3.0. Both hooked through powerlines to the internet via LinkSys PLEBR10 PowerLine EtherFast 10/100 Bridges, a D-Link DSS-5+ Switch, a SonicWall SOHO3 Internet Security Appliance, and finally a Toshiba PCX1100U Cable Modem (PCX DOCSIS)
Old 10-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #35 (Print)
purefct

Well, I'm a month into using the kickstart and it has progressively deteriorated in effectiveness. No matter how much I don't want to erase my thumbs, looks like I'm to the point I have little (no?) choice
Old 12-09-2005, 09:28 AM   #36 (Print)
jodawi

Thumbs down Clear and Delete fails

We have a fairly new system. It connected ok once. It now fails every time with "failed while loading data".

Tried everything up to and including "Clear & Delete Everything" without success.
jodawi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2005, 12:46 PM   #37 (Print)
lvirden

Send a message via AIM to lvirden Send a message via Yahoo to lvirden
Arrow

Have you turned off the power on your tivo and waited 15 minutes? If so, and after that you still are getting this error, then you probably should call tivo to discuss the issue with them.

1 TiVo Series 2 StandAlone, 40 hr, upgraded to 2 160 gig Maxtor drives

Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions.
lvirden is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #38 (Print)
purefct

Also since you're a new poster and you didn't specify any of your troubleshooting activities, did you test your connection to verify it works? Please specify what you tried and what the result was! Are you connecting via a network or the phone?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #39 (Print)
jodawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvirden
Have you turned off the power on your tivo and waited 15 minutes? If so, and after that you still are getting this error, then you probably should call tivo to discuss the issue with them.

Multiple times. It appears I have to go through Humax tech support tho. It's going great so far:

Heavily abridged version

Me, call 1: Connect ok, disconnect ok, fails while loading data.

Humax/Tivo tech support: Well why do you have both USB and phone plugged in. That's your problem. Please try again without.

Me: It connects ok, disconnects, and then fails while loading data. I don't think it's a problem with the connection.

Humax/Tivo tech support: Well why do you have both USB and phone plugged in. That's your problem. Please try again without. kthxbi.

Me call 2: Connect ok, disconnect ok, fails while loading data, with either phone line or wireless.

Humax/Tivo tech support: Ok let's turn off call waiting and turn off detect dial tone. Please try again.

Me: It connects ok, disconnects, and then fails while loading data. I don't think it's a problem with the connection.

Humax/Tivo tech support: Ok let's turn off call waiting and turn off detect dial tone. Please try again. kthxbi.

Me call 3: Connect ok, disconnect ok, fails while loading data. This appears to be a problem with a corrupt database or bad hard drive. I tried doing "Clear and Delete Everything" and that didn't help.

Humax/Tivo tech support: Ok one of the other techs wants you to try unplugging the phone line, restarting the device, wait until it's started all the way up, and then plug the phone line in.

Humax/Tivo tech support: Ok one of the other techs wants you to try unplugging the phone line, restarting the device, wait until it's started all the way up, and then plug the phone line in. kthxbi.

[To Be Continued, when I have the energy...]

I may just ask for Level 2 tech support next time. Then maybe they'd at least read a script that is relevant.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:29 AM   #40 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

jodawi,

Is this a stock TiVo or have you upgraded it?

Old 12-11-2005, 09:04 AM   #41 (Print)
jodawi

Stock
Old 12-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #42 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

If you're willing to mess with the guts of the TiVo, you could look around the board for an image for your particular model. After backing up your current image (important), put the new one on your TiVo, do a download to make sure it's fully updated to the latest version, do a full Clear & Delete Everything on that and see if anything's better. I'm not promising anything, but it's something to try.