Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2003, 05:35 PM   #1 (Print)
JstnAllndr

Question Ehternet Vs. Phoneline

When I open up my TiVo on Christmas Day, I need to let it use the phone line for Guided Setup right? After that 20-30 minute phone call can I install the USB Adapter and hook it up to my router via Ethernet Wire? Do I need to tell it to dial a certain prefix so it uses the Ethernet instead of the phoneline? Will this allow me to download programming information and OS 4.0 via Broadband from now on? Will I be able to disconnect the phone line?

I have a Series2 40 Hour and will be purchasing lifetime service and Home Media Option Christmas Day.

All help and insight greatly appreciated.
JstnAllndr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2003, 05:39 PM   #2 (Print)
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

If its Wired, caus you are saying it is. You should just be able to plug it in, in dailing options (it comes up before you dial) you put in (I belive CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG) ,#407 as the dail prefix, and you can use the first call with the wired adapter. once you get 4.0, telling it to use the eathernet is in the options.

My iTunes registry
Fresh new geeky Mac site, iOnMac!
tomo_kun is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2003, 05:55 PM   #3 (Print)
ourdoc
Tivo Hawaiian Style

Quote:
Originally posted by tomo_kun
If its Wired, caus you are saying it is. You should just be able to plug it in, in dailing options (it comes up before you dial) you put in (I belive CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG) ,#407 as the dail prefix, and you can use the first call with the wired adapter. once you get 4.0, telling it to use the eathernet is in the options.

It's ,#401, not 407.
ourdoc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2003, 06:01 PM   #4 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Just make sure you plug the USB adapter into the TiVo, and into the network before you plug the TiVo into the power. With 3.2, the software that ships with most current Series 2 units, the USB adapter and the network both have to be detected at startup or the ,#401 code wont work.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2003, 06:03 PM   #5 (Print)
rsnaider

Check the following webpage for compatable adapters;

http://customersupport.tivo.com/tiv...lic/tv2006.htm?

TiVo Series 2 - 376 Hours
Sony SVR3000 - 264 Hours
Toshiba RX-20 - 364 Hours
rsnaider is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2003, 06:13 PM   #6 (Print)
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

As of 9/20/04:

The only officially supported method of completing Guided Setup for brand new units is with a phone line.

In other words, to set up a new unit, you must use a phone line. You cannot use a wired or wireless adapter.

This article has more info:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/kno...lic/tv2054.htm?

Note that you will need to make two calls via phone line for Guided Setup, and if you want to download the latest software, you will probably need to make one more call before your wired or wireless adapter will be recognized.

There is one alternative method if you don't have a phone line and do have a broadband connection. We do not officially support this alternate method, and it is not guaranteed to work. If you have an odd router, or firewall issues, or DHCP problems, then this definitely won't work. But if the stars are aligned properly, this trick could work for you.

You need a WIRED adapter. Not a wireless adapter. Wireless adapters will not work with this trick.

IF you have a wired USB adapter that is supported by the software that was pre-installed on your unit (see http://www.tivo.com/adapters/), plug in that adapter, connect it to your router or hub, power on your unit, and you can try the ",#401" trick as documented here:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/kno...lic/tv1164.htm?

Good luck!

--Stephen

EDIT: This post used to say something completely different, making some responses down below a little odd. But my post here was incorrect, and it's early on, so I'm taking this opportunity to provide pointers to the correct info.

NOTE: Due to the volume of Private Messages I received, I constantly had a full inbox, so I have disabled Private Messages. Please send me an e-mail instead. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr : 09-20-2004 at 09:32 PM.
TiVoOpsMgr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-22-2003, 06:17 PM   #7 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

4.0 doesn't have Network Options in GS. In fact 5.2 (the version shipped with the Toshiba and Pioneer units) doesn't even have Network Options in GS. For some reason you guys make us use the phone for the initial setup, then once it's complete allow us to setup the network connection. The only way around it is to use the ,#401 backdoor.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

Old 12-23-2003, 12:28 AM   #8 (Print)
cptodd
Just Me!

I ran into this problem with my Pioneer unit. I even tried the ,#401 and that did not work. Not 100% sure if I plugged in the adapter before the power cord but I am kind of sure I did. I had to wait until I got a ride to my Aunt's house before I could set it up. I then had a problem with the guide data not working and the phone rep told me that I would not have a problem if I did a complete erase and set-up again. WRONG (and I did it even though I KNEW in my bones that she was wrong). I had to wait for another week to go to my Aunt's house. Please, Please, Please start shipping systems with broadband setup enabled!!!!!!!

Long whine short; ,#401 MIGHT not work for you. But you always could go to your Aunt's house!
cptodd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2003, 12:46 AM   #9 (Print)
cptodd
Just Me!

Old 12-23-2003, 04:05 PM   #10 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

I setup a Pioneer unit using a 3COM USB to Ethernet adapter and the ,#401 trick and it worked just fine.

I see in your profile that you're using a wireless adapter. FYI: The ,#401 trick ONLY works with wired adapters, so that could be why you couldn't get it to work for you.

Dan

All with Lifetime

Old 12-23-2003, 07:38 PM   #11 (Print)
cptodd
Just Me!

I bought two wired adapters. Neither of which worked. BOth of which were on the official "list".
Old 12-23-2003, 08:01 PM   #12 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Odd... Maybe the ,#401 trick only works with the original Pegasus drivers? When 3.0 first came out with this backdoor the drivers included only supported adapters with a very specific chipset called Pegasus II. I guess it's possible that this code was somehow hard coded to those drivers and did not update when TiVo added support for additional chipsets in the later versions.

If that's the case then only adapters listed in this post....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...7848#post457848

will work with the ,#401 trick.

Dan

All with Lifetime

Old 12-23-2003, 08:13 PM   #13 (Print)
cptodd
Just Me!

I don't know what it is. It seems to be hit or miss. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I use a mac (which I doubt)? I have no idea. I tried it every which way. Using the extra Ethernet port on my AirPort Extreme base station. Using my Asanté router. I tried all sorts of cables: crossover and regular. In an act of desperation I even tried to bypass all of that and hook directly into the cable modem. I am not the only one either. See the link that I posted a few posts up. That user was not able to use the wired adapter and code either.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:43 PM   #14 (Print)
christopher710

Question

I was about to try guided setup for the first time using the broadband connection. However, I went to tivo website and they say:

You must use the phone line to complete initial Guided Setup. If you are running Guided Setup for the first time, or if you have just performed a Clear and delete everything (factory reset) and are beginning Guided Setup, go to Running Guided Setup

They then go on to do describe how to do the ,#401 prefix to do guided setup through broadband....

So, Has anyone tried doing the ,#401 prefix for the first time or after reset?

If I try, could I hurt anything?

Thanks!
christopher710 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-24-2003, 04:08 PM   #15 (Print)
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally posted by christopher710
I was about to try guided setup for the first time using the broadband connection. However, I went to tivo website and they say:

You must use the phone line to complete initial Guided Setup. If you are running Guided Setup for the first time, or if you have just performed a Clear and delete everything (factory reset) and are beginning Guided Setup, go to Running Guided Setup

They then go on to do describe how to do the ,#401 prefix to do guided setup through broadband....

So, Has anyone tried doing the ,#401 prefix for the first time or after reset?

If I try, could I hurt anything?

Thanks!
You shouldn't hurt anything at all with your tries; just the time cost to you.

I've gotten it working on two new TiVo's (no phone calls at all), but that was after getting it working on a third TiVo (not new) in which I made standard beginner mistakes (not having my router set up right, not having things turned on when they should have been, not plugging the USB adapter ALL the way into the socket).

CrispyCritter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-24-2003, 04:13 PM   #16 (Print)
christopher710

Thanks for your info, I'll give it a try and report back
Old 12-24-2003, 04:44 PM   #17 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

You can't hurt anything. However, depending on the USB adapter you bought, it may not work.

To maximize your chances of succeeding make sure that you plug the USB adapter into the TiVo, and connect it to the network, before you plug the TiVo into the power. If it doesn't work after that then your adapter is incompatible with the ,#401 code and you'll have to use a phone line to complete the setup.

Dan

All with Lifetime

Old 12-24-2003, 05:20 PM   #18 (Print)
christopher710

I bought the linksys usb100tx, didn't work, did the phone thing, that worked, now it says to wait 4-6 hours for the tivo to process.

Do I have to wait that time before trying to fix the network connection?
Old 12-24-2003, 06:29 PM   #19 (Print)
morac

Send a message via AIM to morac Send a message via Yahoo to morac
I've used the ,#401 trick with both 3.x and 4.0 with a Linksys USB100M.

You'd think it wouldn't be that hard for TiVo to add a screen into the guided setup where you could choose either phone or network though. Especially since the #,401 trick isn't listed in the manual.

morac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-24-2003, 06:46 PM   #20 (Print)
christopher710

I went into settings and configured the network and it works fine now! The ,#401 trick did not work on the initial guided set up for me. The broadband connection seems to be working fine now, I did the test and also connected to tivo service and it downloaded without a problem....

Thanks for all your support!
Old 12-25-2003, 02:49 PM   #21 (Print)
ToddNeedsTiVo
H30? 4805?

What's all this #401 dialing prefix business? Don't you just set the TiVo to connect to the service via the ethernet adapter instead of the phone through its configuration menus? Or is it something that the Series I software required?
ToddNeedsTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-25-2003, 02:52 PM   #22 (Print)
bedelman
Call me Bob

Send a message via AIM to bedelman Send a message via Yahoo to bedelman
Only version 4 of the TiVo software has the "Phone & Network Settings" item on the menu. If you have version 3.x of the software, you need to use the dialing prefix of ,#401

The guided setup screens weren't revised with version 4 so you have to do the same thing if you want to do guided setup with a network adapter.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)
bedelman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2004, 07:57 PM   #23 (Print)
valgerry

I just installed my TiVo (Tivo 240080A). I don't have a landline and tried the ,#401 code using a LinkSys WUSB12, but it didn't work (even though it is listed as TiVo compatible). I ended up taking it to a neighbor's and using their phone line. After doing the phone line setup, I was able to view the TiVo messages that told me I needed to do a firmware update from the WUSB12. The firmware update was easy and after this firmware update, I was able to go wireless. It would have been nice if I could have done the firmware update before going through the setup. If the firmware update option had been offered first, I think I could have avoided using my neighbor's phone line.

Also, I didn't know that after doing the phone line setup, I had to let the TiVo process for 4-8 hours and was not supposed to unplug it until finished, so I ended up leaving it at my neighbor's overnight.

After much initial frustration, I finally have it running and am very pleased with it.

Old 01-03-2004, 11:11 PM   #24 (Print)
cptodd
Just Me!

But can you do guided setup using a wireless setup period? I thought it HAD to be wired when you used the ,#401 code.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:00 AM   #25 (Print)
bedelman
Call me Bob

Send a message via AIM to bedelman Send a message via Yahoo to bedelman
You can repeat guided setup with a wireless connection. That's because the TiVo has already been configured for the wireless network (the SSID/Network Name, WEP settings, and so on). Of course this only works if the wireless network configuration hasn't changed in these regards.

The problem is that there is no interface currently in guided setup to enter the wireless settings.

That's probably also why you currently can't do the initial guided setup with a wireless network.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)
bedelman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 02:01 AM   #26 (Print)
Wonko

I need to redo Guided setup with my wireless set up. I get "failed gateway or DNS not found". This is after I did phone line set up at friends, and got it home, and got wireless to work. I used ",#401" and it Says (done) dialing. But the error is in Connecting.....

I do not understand why, the connection was fine before I went to redo guided setup. (I need to switch to cable w/ box, from cable w/o box).

Now I 'm stuck in guided set up! Even though I did it once... stupid.
Wonko is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 07:58 AM   #27 (Print)
cptodd
Just Me!

did you reset the machine? if you didn't it should work.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:13 PM   #28 (Print)
ldc3000

I did the initial connection on a land line and got 4.0v software. After that I was able to us a Linksys USB100M to reconnect and finish downloading the updates. I unpluged the Tivo and connect the Tivo to my network via the USB adapter, then Iplugged the Tivo in to the outlet, that gave me a message saying that a network device was found. From there I went to settings and put the ,#401 code in under the phone dialing connection. It didn't let me connect, it kept saying failed. So I switched connection method to network and from there I connect and got the updates.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:58 PM   #29 (Print)
matguy

I have a Refurbished Tivo Series2 80h coming in in the next couple of days. I also have a Linksys USB100M (currently in use on my existing Tivo Series2 60h) that I'd like to use to go through the initial guided setup since I don't have a home phone. Should this work? I mean, I'm not opposed to giving it a try, but it'd be nice to know if I have to bring it somewhere to set it up before I un-pack it and fiddle with it for an hour.

Old 07-20-2004, 05:15 PM   #30 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

The ,#401 trick should work as long as it's a wired adapter. Just remember to connect the adapter to the TiVo and to the network before powering on the TiVo. Version 3.0 of the software does not support hot swapping of USB devices so it can only detect the device, and grab an IP, when it's booting up.

Dan

All with Lifetime