Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2003, 01:21 PM   #1 (Print)
ChrisJB

Experiences of Cachecard in the UK?

Has anyone received a cachecard and installed to a UK machine yet? Would be interested in experiences so far (I've been watching the Underground thread with some interest, seems like the beta test is being well supported by Nick (Jafa) and some great performance enhancements are being seen
ChrisJB is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2003, 04:42 PM   #2 (Print)
Milhouse

Also some problems - I'll wait a month or two before replacing my turbonet, I'm too cowardly to break a working setup when it's my only box!
Milhouse is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2003, 05:04 PM   #3 (Print)
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Send a message via ICQ to kitschcamp Send a message via MSN to kitschcamp Send a message via Yahoo to kitschcamp
I must admit I'm starting to get very nervous with talk of incorrect fitment, unusual effects from different sticks of RAM, scopes on cards and measuring voltages on connectors. It sounds far too much like my day job.

I'm hoping I'm not going to be the first in the UK to test it out

SkyEye, 160Gb+120Gb, CcheCrd 512MB, twkd recrdng sttngs, TiVoWeb and APC Back-UPS 500.
Tivo Mods. Fixed ui.itcl module
kitschcamp is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2003, 05:25 PM   #4 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Mine supposedly left the USA on Boxing Day...

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2003, 07:21 PM   #5 (Print)
Kingpleb

Send a message via ICQ to Kingpleb
I doubt it could have done? post on boxing day! how unholy is that!!!

Will keep my eyes on this thread to see how it goes
Kingpleb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2003, 09:32 PM   #6 (Print)
Milhouse

Fortunately the fitment problem is restricted to DTivos so that's one less problem for us in the UK, however the sound problems which are being attributed to insufficient voltages from the power supply (and possibly restricted to use of the internal tuner) are quite worrying - perhaps with our different hardware this may turn out to be another non-event for the UK (fingers crossed)!

Some sticks of RAM do appear to be more troublesome than others, but Jafa seems willing to tweak the driver to work with those sticks where possible. Not so sure what can be done if the card is sucking too many volts however, probably a respin of the hardware.

Oh, and LBA48 support is borked right now but Jafa is aware of it and has identifed the bug, a fixed driver should be available very soon.

Since this is the first batch of cards and v1.0 driver/installer, minor problems are only to be expected. What I'd like to see in the Underground is a seperate thread reporting successes with the CacheCard - so far it's only "doom and gloom" (I'm exaggerating!) being reported!

Last edited by Milhouse : 12-28-2003 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:11 AM   #7 (Print)
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Send a message via ICQ to kitschcamp Send a message via MSN to kitschcamp Send a message via Yahoo to kitschcamp
Quote:
Originally posted by Kingpleb
I doubt it could have done? post on boxing day! how unholy is that!!!

The Americans don't celebrate the Feast of St Stephen, so they open again and would quite happily ship things out of the states (whether someone is available at this end is another matter, as I can trace mine has left the US, and via Royal Mail see they've been advised it's leaving the US, but it doesn't seem to have arrived here, yet...) Our US office is open as usual then, but are shut on New Year's Eve and Day, whereas we're only shut on Day.

SkyEye, 160Gb+120Gb, CcheCrd 512MB, twkd recrdng sttngs, TiVoWeb and APC Back-UPS 500.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:14 AM   #8 (Print)
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Quote:
Originally posted by Milhouse

What I'd like to see in the Underground is a seperate thread reporting successes with the CacheCard - so far it's only "doom and gloom" (I'm exaggerating!) being reported!

There is one. And hardly any-one seems to be posting to it.

See here

Old 12-29-2003, 03:44 AM   #9 (Print)
Milhouse

Thanks for pointing that thread out to me Stephen, I missed it due to the lack of any recent posts - in fact that thread is in danger of dropping off the first page of the Underground!

It's early days yet, and there have been teething problems (a new driver has just been released which fixes several problems, including LBA48 support) so I'm not overly concerned about the lack of success stories.... yet!
Old 12-29-2003, 03:47 AM   #10 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Cachecard has arrived. Where's me torx screwdrivers gone...

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:12 AM   #11 (Print)
LJ

Quote:
Originally posted by kitschcamp
I can trace mine has left the US, and via Royal Mail see they've been advised it's leaving the US, but it doesn't seem to have arrived here, yet...)
Took mine 36 hours to fly from the US to the UK. Next stages were 'Arrived at International hub' and two minutes later 'sorted in hub'. Guess it might arrive today...

Old 12-29-2003, 05:20 AM   #12 (Print)
iankb

Presumably, if there is a power-supply problem, switching from two drives to a larger single drive might cure the problem. However, the problem might be restricted to a different voltage line, in which case Sanderton is going to become the UK guinea-pig.

Glad I waited until the Mk2 version comes out. And no, I am only guessing that it needs to be (and might be) improved.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
iankb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2003, 05:39 AM   #13 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Looks like I've got a duff card - no network Link light (not seen any Americans report that, so don't think its linked to the other problems they've had.).

Plus worse, when it caches my HD it's found a disk error I didn't know I had.

Old 12-29-2003, 06:50 AM   #14 (Print)
GarySargent

On a related note (speeding up TiVo) has anyone ever tried turning down the logging that TiVo does?

Don't know if its possible but presume it is.

Just thinking with it logging every remote keypress it must have to move the head to the other side of the hard disc each time you press a key to update the logfile. Guess that won't make much difference and its probably not written every time but in batch - but might be worth a play with if you have a duff cache card

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.
GarySargent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2003, 07:35 AM   #15 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Gets worse. I can't get the old Turbonet card to work now.

Old 12-29-2003, 07:50 AM   #16 (Print)
LJ

Merp Do the logs show anything useful with the Turbonet card back in?

Old 12-29-2003, 09:43 AM   #17 (Print)
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Quote:
Originally posted by LJ
Took mine 36 hours to fly from the US to the UK. Next stages were 'Arrived at International hub' and two minutes later 'sorted in hub'. Guess it might arrive today...

Mine was sorted at 8:19 this morning - a 3 day(!) flight - so I'm guessing Wednesday at the earliest. ParcelFarce are hardly the most reliable of couriers. Only CityLuck seem to be worse.

Old 12-29-2003, 10:56 AM   #18 (Print)
mini__me

At least CityLink try and deliver by actually knocking on the door, round here ParcelForce throw stuff (and I mean throw) over the wall without trying the door first, and thats stuff that requires a signature.

Sadly all the calls I have made to complain fall on dead ears, I hate ParcelForce and will never deal with any company that uses them.

Rant Over

I'd love to hear how these babies turn out I'm not sure of any improvement they'd make for me so am eagerly awaiting some reviews.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:32 AM   #19 (Print)
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

I feel pretty much the same about CityLuck, who around here are reknowned for crushing, breaking and otherwise maiming parcels, plus failing to even attempt a delivery and just returning it to the sender.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:35 AM   #20 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Old Turbonet card now working again, having restored all startup scripts from the second TiVo.

However I have now passed the recomemded tequila intake for network card installaion, so will have to return to the task in teh morning. Or maybe afternoon.

Old 12-29-2003, 12:41 PM   #21 (Print)
ChrisJB

Y'know what, I think I'll sit this one out for a wee while
ChrisJB is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2003, 05:43 PM   #22 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Got it working on my second TiVo.

First impressions:
1) Long startup time as it verifies the RAM and loads the db. The verify step can be skipped.
2) menus (and Tivoweb) seem faster
3) FTP speeds unchanged

All based on 10 mins, will report back more later.

Old 12-29-2003, 06:12 PM   #23 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Tweaked a few settings on the PC and FTP speeds are now right at the top end of any I've previously seen with Turbonet. Could be good luck; could be it's faster.

Old 12-30-2003, 03:39 AM   #24 (Print)
groovyclam

Has it speeded up reordering your season passes ?
groovyclam is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2003, 04:07 AM   #25 (Print)
iankb

Quote:
Originally posted by groovyclam
Has it speeded up reordering your season passes ?
I have my suspicions that it wouldn't, since that involves rewriting the database and that would destroy the cache.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus
Old 12-30-2003, 05:04 AM   #26 (Print)
LJ

Looking good here so far!

Re-ordering season passes seems muuuch faster, though I only tried moving one near the bottom of the list...

Rather than cut and paste, here's a link to the post I just made in the main 'success' thread.

As usual the most difficult bit was getting the lid off

Old 12-30-2003, 05:13 AM   #27 (Print)
iankb

Quote:
Originally posted by LJ
Re-ordering season passes seems muuuch faster ...
Of course, I could be wrong.

Old 12-30-2003, 07:22 AM   #28 (Print)
LJ

First problem - no sound on recording programme/live tv; aux bypass is fine...

Old 12-30-2003, 07:25 AM   #29 (Print)
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Same here with mine, problems go away with removal of memory from card.

Old 12-30-2003, 07:37 AM   #30 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Quote:
Originally posted by iankb
I have my suspicions that it wouldn't, since that involves rewriting the database and that would destroy the cache.

It's write-through cache, so it wouldn't be destroyed?