Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2004, 06:48 PM   #121 (Print)
tivobernd

Seeing incomplete Guide Data for 242

I was trying to see why a season pass is not seeing something on 1/16 (Monk on 242 USA) and noticed that for me 232's guide data ends on 1/15 at 5:30am with some very odd data for the last 10-20 hours before that (a lot of 'Title not available'). I wonder if this might be related to the aquiring information problem...
I checked a couple of other channels and they are fine until 1/19....

Old 01-06-2004, 07:27 PM   #122 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Re: Seeing incomplete Guide Data for 242

Quote:
Originally posted by tivobernd
I was trying to see why a season pass is not seeing something on 1/16 (Monk on 242 USA) and noticed that for me 232's guide data ends on 1/15 at 5:30am with some very odd data for the last 10-20 hours before that (a lot of 'Title not available'). I wonder if this might be related to the aquiring information problem...
I checked a couple of other channels and they are fine until 1/19....
That's very normal for USA, which usually lags several days behind other channels...

Old 01-06-2004, 07:47 PM   #123 (Print)
djbrown

Can folks do a "Search by Title" for the numeral zero and indicate how may pages it takes until you start seeing shows that begin with the letter 'A'? To give you an idea on just how small my indexed programs are, I see a program beginning with 'A' on the first page on one unit, and on about page #20 on the other.....
djbrown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 08:12 PM   #124 (Print)
scottjf8
My baby's daddy

This thread might want to be "stickied"

Am I ever going to update my sig?
scottjf8 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 08:19 PM   #125 (Print)
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally posted by djbrown
Can folks do a "Search by Title" for the numeral zero and indicate how may pages it takes until you start seeing shows that begin with the letter 'A'? To give you an idea on just how small my indexed programs are, I see a program beginning with 'A' on the first page on one unit, and on about page #20 on the other.....

When I do a search by title on the number zero, it takes 17 screens of scrolling down to get to a program starting with the letter A. It is the same on all three of my DTivos. The only other thing that seems to be malfunctioning is the speed. Pressing record on something while in the guide takes a long time to get to the recording options screen.

Also, my system info says I only have guide data thru today, however all of my season passes are recording and my Todo list is complete.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:07 PM   #126 (Print)
jedware

I can home today and checked my todo list and none of my season passes for 24, West Wing, etc. are being recorded. This is not an erroneous message that can be ignored when programs are now not being recorded. When is this going to be fixed?

P.S. This is an un-modified box and has been re-booted.
jedware is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 09:11 PM   #127 (Print)
srs5694

Quote:
Originally posted by djbrown
Something changed last week, or we would have been seeing those messages all along. The fact that the problems some of us are seeing, and only started seeing when the messages started to appear, appear to be caused by partial data, which is what the message states is happening, is pretty fluky if they are completely unrelated......

Not necessarily. The sorts of non-cosmetic problems that some people have reported have been reported in the past. (In fact, I once experienced some of them myself, but a simple reboot fixed the problem.) It's possible that the frequency of these serious problems hasn't changed. For instance, suppose that, prior to late December, one person reading this forum saw such problems each day, on average. Normally, these people call DirecTV or do a system reset or whatever and the problem goes away, and not much is said about it. Recently, though, with all the focus on the cosmetic problem, the non-cosmetic problems are getting a lot more attention, and those for whom the two problems have started more-or-less concurrently believe the two are linked because they're temporally concurrent, when in fact there's no underlying causal connection. This sort of thing happens all the time in the world at large; people are very good at seeing patterns -- so good that we often see patterns where none exist. Entire subfields of psychology exist to study these sorts of issues. Although I've not done research in these areas, I am familiar with at least the broad outlines of that research. This thread is filled with the sort of heuristics that lead to these errors.

That said, I'm not saying that there definitely is no connection; I'm saying that the conclusion that there's a connection is unwarranted, given the publicly-presented evidence. We simply lack the hard statistics to even begin to make a judgment. One person -- or a dozen people -- saying that the two problems began at the same time is not good evidence for a causal link.
srs5694 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 12:17 AM   #128 (Print)
jsharper
rebmeM weN

Why do we need to find a connection anyway?

For some people, the message says there is no guide data. And for those people, there is no guide data. This is a big problem. (or, if you insist, its one small problem and one big problem. Either way, there's a big problem)

For others, the message says there is no guide data but luckily there really is guide data (for now). This is a small problem, but a problem none the less.

Who cares if anything is related... there are problems. the problems need fixed.
jsharper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 02:10 AM   #129 (Print)
mjames

Send a message via AIM to mjames Send a message via Yahoo to mjames
I have noticed the window display for about four days now. Other than the display being there, my guide data is all up to date and everything seems to be working fine. However, I have noticed that the hard drive seems to be very busy nearly 24/7.

When I warm boot the system, it sometimes complains that it's having problems acquiring sat data. Some time it gets 25% through, other times 50%. When I do a power-off reset, it comes up and acquires everything.
mjames is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 08:02 AM   #130 (Print)
lander215
Hooked on TiVo

The message being received, and correct me if I'm wrong, is:

"Acquiring Program Guide data from the satellite. Some data available now. Full data in 1-2 days."

That, at least, is what my HDVR2 is saying. I checked last night and I have guide data for the next two weeks. I've been seeing this message for about 2-3 weeks without any issues other than the message. I haven't checked my other DSR6000 yet, but I'll do that tonight to see what it's doing.

What's strange is it seems that some users with the exact same equipment and exact same message are seeing different (or no) issues.

I would agree that something is wrong with something somewhere (that specific enough? )
lander215 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 08:11 AM   #131 (Print)
malloryd

What I've noticed...

I have noticed this error since 12/30/03. I called DirecTV, and they acknowledged (after having me jump through hoops (soft reset , uplug unit for 10 minutes, force a phone call, etc.) that others were having this problem, but it was only cosmetic since the guide data comes over the phone line.

Now my System information shows guide data only through the current day ( every day it says whatever day it actually is), Tivo Suggestions are down to nothing, Season Passes are not recording properly for a majority of the passes. Going into Recording History shows programs on Season Passes won't record because they are no longer in the Program Guide.

I called DirecTV again (for the third time) last night (1/6/04) and when the CSR started with the reset the box routine I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor said yes this is a known problem, and yes they are woking diligently on the problem, and yes - it is having an effect on Guide Data and recording for many TIVO customers. While she would not give me any indication on when this would be fixed, she did credit my account for the TIVO Guide charge, and threw in a month of Showtime for the aggrevation of it all.

While she was very professional and courteous, it does not (at least in my case) confirm this problem is only cosmetic. Using the Recording History, I can, in my case, confirm that lack of recording season passes occurred at the same time as the error messase occurred on my machine - 12/30/03.

Best Regards,

DCM
malloryd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 08:29 AM   #132 (Print)
HarryD

Just an FYI, for DirecTivos, the guide data comes via satellite. A S/A Tivo gets it's guide data via the phone line.

Philips DSR7000 @ 105 hours
HarryD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #133 (Print)
The Bird

TiVoPony, acknowledged the sound dropout after pause back in Dec. 2002 the fix came down in Sept. 2003. So I think were looking at Sept. 2004 for this fix. Luckily for most its not service affecting.

My guess is TiVo probably already has the fix but DTV's approval process is the problem. Hopefully there will be less red tape when Murdoch takes over.

The Bird is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 08:32 AM   #134 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Send a message via AIM to Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Skittles
I'm having a new issue, which I believe stems from this problem.

The HDVR2 recorder I own has been slow in navigation and processing remote/system commands for a while. Within the last few days, though, I've started having problems with recordings starting on time when both tuners are in use.

For example...

I record two hour-long programs from 4PM to 5PM, one on each tuner. At 5PM, I have a single 30 minute programming block I record as well. The problem is, in that situation, the HDVR2 isn't always changing channels and starting up the new recording immediately at 5PM. It often takes an extra 30 - 90 seconds to change the channel and start the recording. As a result, I miss the first minute or so of my 5PM show.

This doesn't occur 100% of the time, but it is happening regularly enough to be an issue for me. This wasn't happening before the erroneous message, either.

Just passing the word along!

Old 01-07-2004, 10:29 AM   #135 (Print)
emayracing
TiVo-holic

Quote:
Originally posted by srs5694

That said, I'm not saying that there definitely is no connection; I'm saying that the conclusion that there's a connection is unwarranted, given the publicly-presented evidence. We simply lack the hard statistics to even begin to make a judgment. One person -- or a dozen people -- saying that the two problems began at the same time is not good evidence for a causal link.

In all honesty, does it matter if there is a connection between the problems? The fact is - there are problems - SERIOUS problems and they need to be addressed.

One of the major selling points of TiVo is the ability to set season passes, search for future shows, etc. If that isn't working for a pretty decent amount of people - then there is a problem.

Yes, I have called DirecTV. First time they said reboot. Second time they said reboot. Third time they said "we are aware of this message and are working on it". When I told them that it is more than just the message, but the fact my guide data hasn't moved from 1/12/04 for 7 days now, they replied with "it is the same issue".

I think the point people are making is that there a problems that must be fixed.

However, I agree with some earlier posts - people MUST call DirecTV to report the problem if they want the issue logged and tracked.

If only 10 people call, they will continue to think it's just 10 individual boxes, and not a system issue.
emayracing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 10:39 AM   #136 (Print)
paulfife

Quote:
Originally posted by The Bird
My guess is TiVo probably already has the fix but DTV's approval process is the problem. Hopefully there will be less red tape when Murdoch takes over.

If the fix corrects the problem with missing guide data, I really doubt DirecTV would drag its heels on it. The sound dropout could be considered a cosmetic issue that can be worked around. Missing guide data totally breaks the functinality of the box. Obviously they can't take several months to fix that one!
paulfife is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 11:18 AM   #137 (Print)
psweig

Hey guys, ignore the person who thinks he is a statitician. This is not an academic study, we are trying to solve a problem. If we all lived our lives according to satistics, we would miss what life is all about!

Old 01-07-2004, 11:20 AM   #138 (Print)
psweig

Quote:
Originally posted by psweig
Hey guys, ignore the person who thinks he is a statitician. This is not an academic study, we are trying to solve a problem. If we all lived our lives according to satistics, we would miss what life is all about!

Sorry, that's statistics.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:38 PM   #139 (Print)
dumbunny

If you're interested in gathering correlation statistics, you could always start a poll.
dumbunny is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #140 (Print)
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

Quote:
Originally posted by paulfife
Missing guide data totally breaks the functinality of the box. Obviously they can't take several months to fix that one!

So does loosing Favorites and Channels You Receive, but no fix is in sight for that problem and it's been around for many many months.
Mark Lopez is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 12:48 PM   #141 (Print)
mike5335

Thumbs down Continuing saga

I'll just update my earlier post by saying that I spoke with customer service for the HDVR2 (800-695-9251) and they confirm the guide data download issue is still happening "in some areas". Those areas include mine (left coast) and their labs. The technician said that they last official update they had was 1/4/04 and couldn't give me an estimated time for resolution.

I looked at the Dish Network offerings and they didn't appear much more appealing. Patience can be a virtue, I'm told. So can a rooftop antenna.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:54 PM   #142 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Any further word on when this problem will be corrected? I get the message, but it doesn't cause any other problems, yet.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:18 PM   #143 (Print)
mightyb
Tivolutionized!!

Send a message via AIM to mightyb Send a message via Yahoo to mightyb
I still have guide data (out to 1/19 as of last night), BUT, operation has become SLOW and SLUGGISH.

mightyb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 01:58 PM   #144 (Print)
packerowner

I Lost Locals

Here is what happened to me:
I had noticed the Guide data message for a couple of days.
While I was watching the second NFL game last Sunday a message came up saying that it needed to acquire guide data from the satellite and gave me the progress bar. (Lucky for me the Packers had already played and won!) It did tell me that I could watch from Now Showing. I checked the tuners and they were both at 95%. When the progress bar was finished, I had lost my local channels. I called DirecTV and after going though the menus, it recommended restarting. Knowing that would be the first thing they would want me to do, I did a reset and after acquiring the satellites, I got the message about partial guide, but my locals returned. This whole process took about 25 minutes and I was unable to watch the NFL game. Luckily for me, it wasn’t my game and it wasn't much of a game. If this had happened during the Green Bay-Seattle Overtime… that would not have been good.

Last edited by packerowner : 01-07-2004 at 02:40 PM.
packerowner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 04:00 PM   #145 (Print)
srs5694

Packerowner, issues with locals occasionally crop up. I lost my local PBS station for a few days about two or three months ago. It came back with no explanation. DirecTV's CSRs were totally unhelpful. I think that sometimes the security measures just go wonky, perhaps because of data corruption on authentication codes or whatnot.
srs5694 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 04:55 PM   #146 (Print)
BlankMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Lopez
So does loosing Favorites and Channels You Receive, but no fix is in sight for that problem and it's been around for many many months.
Over a year. Might even be approaching two. People had posted about it long before I started my thread, but I didn't find them on a search and was informed of that fact later.

and ah, a, A55
BlankMan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #147 (Print)
Dayton-Dave

Lightbulb

Earlier in this thread I posted about the fact that DirecTV was switching to Gemstar (TV Guide) from the Tribune service. No one else commented on this maybe contributing to our common problem. I have found the original 12/3/2003 news release about the guide change over. In the release it stated that DirecTV would be switching in the first quarter of 2004. I still think this is where the problem lies. Here is the link to that release. http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/about...?id=12_02_2003A
Dayton-Dave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 05:32 PM   #148 (Print)
drew2k
!revetahW

Has anyone heard from TiVoOpsMgr lately? We know the problem was experienced as early as 12/25 and TiVo first ackowledged the problem on 12/31, but there hasn't been much of the way in official comments lately. I know CES may be occupying much of TiVo's time, but I was really hoping for SOMEONE from TiVo to post an update...

Old 01-07-2004, 05:36 PM   #149 (Print)
ewolfr

I don't think that DirecTV is switching to Gemstar for it's data. I read that release as saying that DirecTV sign an agreement to let them us Gemstar's patented technology, which I believe is the on-screen grid guide. I don't think the supplier of data has changed in this case.
ewolfr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 05:40 PM   #150 (Print)
The Bird

From the PR:
Gemstar-TV Guide will receive fees from DIRECTV rather than continuing to receive fees from DIRECTV's set-top box suppliers.

This sounds like DTV was using Gemstar-TV Guide but the set-top box suppliers were paying for it now DTV will. It doesn't sound like this change would affect the delivery of the content.

I thought Tribune supplied the guide data for SA TiVo's and DTiVo's always used DTV's guide data.

The Bird is offline Report Bad Post Report Post