Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2004, 10:50 PM   #1 (Print)
tivolovit

$399 DirecTV HD deal is now $99...if!

OK, I was over perusing the HD forum and ran across a post that some guy just called DirecTV to see if he could get them to knock some $$$ off of the $399.00 HD Receiver deal. Seems the CSR told him something about the fact that he was eligible for the deal for $99.00. So I called to see if I could take advantage of it (just got another HD TV). So here is the deal.

1) DirecTV customer for 2 yrs.
2) Account in good standing since inception (no more than 1 late pay)
3) Must spend at least $40/month in DirecTV services
4) 1yr commitment for service
5) 1yr commitment for HD service (some say they have gotten around this saying they only want it for free services or OTA HD? Don't know, I already subscribe to HD programming)
6) You pay the total cost up front (around $450 give or take with shipping/taxes) then they refund all but $99 and the shipping/taxes (unless like some you can get them to refund that)!!!!!!!! IN THE FORM OF CREDIT OF SERVICE TO YOUR ACCOUNT. So if you pay $50/month to DirecTV it will take 6 months to get your $300 credit!!!!!

They said this would include new dish if necessary, multiswitch, relocation of a receiver if needed/wanted, and cables run if necessary. Just like the $399 deal.

Update - I understand some have also received an OTA antenna as well

Anyway, just thought some of you MIGHT want to know.

Enjoy & Happy New Year,

(edit - added 6 and following clarification, sorry I forgot that first post)
(edit - added OTA antenna)

RCA DVR-39 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Hughes SD-DVR40 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Lifetime TiVo Subscription

Last edited by tivolovit : 01-08-2004 at 06:21 PM.
tivolovit is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2004, 12:32 AM   #2 (Print)
steuert
TivoGeezer

Thanks for the heads up, tivolovit! I was considering the $399 deal, but of course $99 is a lot more attractive. However, I still may wait for the HD TiVo to get here. Wonder if they'll offer it for $99 to us faithful DTV customers who have been good boys!
steuert is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2004, 12:41 AM   #3 (Print)
tivolovit

We can only hope, but I cannot wait that long!

I am having the superbowl party at my house this year and just picked up a Mitsu 42" HDTV for a pretty good deal close to the end of the year to replace an old failing 27" Sony I had. I wanted an HD receiver for it. I already have one on my Wega XBR but thought with as many people as I have comming over two sitting areas both in HD would be nice. ANYWAY, I was searching all over to figure out how to swing a deal on a good HD receiver for a good price. I don't know yet if I will get the Hughes or the Samsung but at $99 I will be happy with whichever. Glad to have helped.

Regards,

Old 01-03-2004, 12:45 AM   #4 (Print)
BMelody

Got one! Thanks tivolovit.

I too am waiting for the new HD TiVo but thought this would help with the waiting pain. My deal included a new dish in order to view the other birds. Can't wait to see some HD on my Samsung DLP.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!
BMelody is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2004, 08:58 AM   #5 (Print)
sschatzman1

Maybe you can help

Thanks for your post, I don't know if you can help me with this. I have a Panasonic HDTV and the Hughes Directv Tivo box with two tuners connected to it. My wife and I love it. I haven't been able to afford a HD receiver but I saw your post and thought this is a great price. Is it possible to use both receivers on the same TV? I would appreciate any feedback you may have. Thanks.
sschatzman1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2004, 09:14 AM   #6 (Print)
rlj5242

Quote:
Is it possible to use both receivers on the same TV?
I have a DirecTivo and a Hughes E-86 HD receiver both connected to a Mitsubishi HD TV. As long as your TV has enough inputs, you can do the same.

-Robert
rlj5242 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2004, 09:48 AM   #7 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Re: $399 DirecTV HD deal is now $99...if!

Quote:
Originally posted by tivolovit
OK, I was over perusing the HD forum and ran across a post that some guy just called DirecTV to see if he could get them to knock some $$$ off of the $399.00 HD Receiver deal. Seems the CSR told him something about the fact that he was eligible for the deal for $99.00. So I called to see if I could take advantage of it (just got another HD TV). So here is the deal.

1) DirecTV customer for 2 yrs.
2) Account in good standing since inception (no more than 1 late pay)
3) Must spend at least $40/month in DirecTV services
4) 1yr commitment for service
5) 1yr commitment for HD service (some say they have gotten around this saying they only want it for free services or OTA HD? Don't know, I already subscribe to HD programming)

Anyway, just thought some of you MIGHT want to know.

Enjoy & Happy New Year,

I just got the $399 deal. I wonder if I could call and get a credit for $300?

What's the URL for the HD forum thread you read that in?

Old 01-03-2004, 10:15 AM   #8 (Print)
sschatzman1

I have a DirecTivo and a Hughes E-86 HD receiver both connected to a Mitsubishi HD TV. As long as your TV has enough inputs, you can do the same.

-Robert
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Robert, I imagine that the HD receiver uses the component inputs on the tv and the DirecTivo uses the S-Video. What about the incoming sateliite lines. I have a multi satellite dish on my house with four lines coming out of it. Two are going into the DirecTivo and two are going to two other tvs in the house. How would I get a line to the HD receiver as well and the same room as the DirecTivo?

Stephen
Old 01-03-2004, 10:27 AM   #9 (Print)
sschatzman1

I've called Directv twice to get the $99 HD receiver and niether CSR would honor this deal. Any suggestions?

Stephen
Old 01-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #10 (Print)
bnormal

I just called and spoke to a csr who "claimed" they weren't aware of any $99 deal. She then sent me to a retention csr who informed me that I was eligible for the $99 deal. This person told me that it is a $300 credit. My credit card would be billed the full $399 amount and then I would receive $300 in monthly credits.

tivolovit, is the deal you referred to a $300 credit or a straight up $99 deal?

Either way a very good deal!
bnormal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2004, 10:45 AM   #11 (Print)
rlj5242

Quote:
How would I get a line to the HD receiver as well and the same room as the DirecTivo?
When D* installs the HD receiver, they will also provide an 8 output cascadable switch. They will also run a third line to the room with the DirecTivo.

-Robert
Old 01-03-2004, 11:11 AM   #12 (Print)
Oknarf

Thumbs up

Just spoke with a DTV CSR and was told "all I see running is the $399 deal..." I mentioned I was debating switching to Comcast for HD service and was transferred to a retention CSR who said.......

you have to pay $399 up front for the whole deal, then they credit you $300 on your account.

A big thanks for the heads up!

FrankO

PS they will be here 1 week from today.

A64, 1GB, 1TB, Dual Tuner, Win MCE
HTL-HD 4 Sale!
DSR708 80hr 6.2
DSR708 80hr 6.2+ ;-)
HDVR2 160GB 6.2+ ;-)
DSR6000 120GB

Last edited by Oknarf : 01-03-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Oknarf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2004, 11:29 AM   #13 (Print)
Jim Golden

I just called. No deal. I was quoted the standard $399 price.

Jim
Jim Golden is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2004, 11:33 AM   #14 (Print)
sschatzman1

On my second attempt to get this offer I was told by a rentention CSR that the best they could do was $150 credit and give me $20 off my Total Premier Status for 6 months. Any suggestions on how to get the full $300 credit? Also is tax, shipping and handling on top of the $399 credit card charge?
Old 01-03-2004, 11:37 AM   #15 (Print)
bnormal

Jim, I spoke to a csr rep a little over an hour ago. She first said that she didn't see any reference to a $99 deal. I then asked who else I could speak with about this deal. SHE mentioned a retention csr.

You should call back and ask again and if the particular csr isn't aware of this deal ask to speak to a csr in their retention group.

Of course, be polite but be demanding!

The deal is there!
Old 01-03-2004, 11:43 AM   #16 (Print)
bnormal

sschatzman1,

Tax and shipping + $399

Not sure what deal the retention csr you spoke to is referring to. I would call back if I were you and mention that you know of others who have received the $99 deal as of today.

If the particular csr doesn't have any idea what you are talking about I would ask to speak to a supervisor....in a nice manner of course!

You do meet the qualifiers, correct?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:02 PM   #17 (Print)
sschatzman1

bnormal,

I meet all of the qualifiers except only one year of good standing service to date. But they didn't give me a hard time about that. I guess I will just try to call back again. They did ask me if I knew anyone who received this offer. If anyone wants to volunteer a full name I am sure it would help, but I understand if it complicates things.

sschatzman1
Old 01-03-2004, 12:21 PM   #18 (Print)
bnormal

Quote:
Originally posted by rlj5242

-Robert

Robert, (or anyone else) see if you can answer this:

I currently have a 4-way switch running 2 dtivo's on 2 tv's with both tuners enabled on each dtivo. I'd like to be able to connect the new hd receiver and the current dtivo just as you are doing. However, to avoid running more cabling through my house could I use the existing cabling and use the provided 8-way switch in my living room to input the 2 cables from the wall and output the 4 cables to connect to the dtivo and hd receiver?

Hope this makes sense...

Thanks
Old 01-03-2004, 12:47 PM   #19 (Print)
rlj5242

Quote:
could I use the existing cabling and use the provided 8-way switch in my living room to input the 2 cables from the wall and output the 4 cables to connect to the dtivo and hd receiver?
Yes, it will work but you will only get programming from the 101 satellite. That means you will not get the majority of the HD programming that D* carries. Details of this are covered in the multi-switch FAQ sticky at the top of this section.

-Robert
Old 01-03-2004, 12:50 PM   #20 (Print)
Jim Golden

I called again. With tax the unit is around $450. I'm going to receive a $360.00 credit. Thanks for all the help!

Jim
Old 01-03-2004, 12:52 PM   #21 (Print)
Oknarf

Thumbs up

Don't forget to mention that you are considering switching to cable for HiDef programming and equipment. AKA an actual reason to speak with the retention department, other than just being cheap.

I'm glad that they are rewarding their long standing customers like this. It's about time and we deserve it. I also mentioned to them how I had referred customers and relatives as recently as installing a multiswitch at the in-laws yesterday after giving them the DTivo for Christmas. I was surprised when they said they knew. Maybe they are related to Santa Clause or something.

FrankO

A64, 1GB, 1TB, Dual Tuner, Win MCE
HTL-HD 4 Sale!
DSR708 80hr 6.2
DSR708 80hr 6.2+ ;-)
HDVR2 160GB 6.2+ ;-)
DSR6000 120GB
Oknarf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-03-2004, 12:57 PM   #22 (Print)
bnormal

Quote:
Originally posted by rlj5242
Yes, it will work but you will only get programming from the 101 satellite. That means you will not get the majority of the HD programming that D* carries. Details of this are covered in the multi-switch FAQ sticky at the top of this section.

-Robert

Robert, thanks for the help. It appears I will be running more cabling after all. Oh well, I'm getting pretty good at it!

Thanks again
Old 01-03-2004, 04:33 PM   #23 (Print)
tivolovit

Glad everyone was able to take advantage!

I did forget to mention that they charge you the full amount and then credit all but $99 (plus tax & shipping back - for me $58 bucks in addition to $99) back. Also as someone mentioned above (and as with the original $399 deal, this includes any multiswitch, new dish, or whatever needed to hook up the new receiver, including relocation of an existing if wanted/needed, according to my CSR/Retention rep.

Jim, here is the link to the original post. I would definitly call back and talk to a retention rep about getting a credit, because as I said above they give the credit when you activate the receiver. I am not sure if I will get the hughes or the samsung but at the price I really could care less.

By the way, for those of you that asked, they said "don't tell everyone in the world about this, it is kind of an UNADVERTISED offer", but as much money and trouble as everyone around here has saved me I thought I would "share the love". Besides, this isn't the whole world, this is just a very loyal to direcTV and probably one of their largest revenue segments, TiVo Community . So my point if they ask...just tell them you heard a rumor, or you have a friend that got the deal. If they look at the time that they occured, then backtrack and see a common thread that we all own 1 or more TiVos they COULD track it back to me. Yeah right!

If you were turned down, call and talk to another CSR, mention that this offer started January 1. If they don't/won't help you ask to talk to a retention rep.

Again, ENJOY ,

Last edited by tivolovit : 01-03-2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:35 PM   #24 (Print)
bnormal

tivolovit,

thanks so much for "sharing the love"!
Old 01-03-2004, 08:47 PM   #25 (Print)
Jim Golden

Wink

Thanks tivolovit. I've been thinking about getting one of these units for over a year now. I just couldn't justify the cost for the benefit. For $99 it's worth a try.

Ultimately (like everyone else on this forum) I would love to have an HDTV-TIVO , but they probably won't be within my price range for some time.

It does seem like a waste of $ to use two receivers (one DIRECTIVO and one HDTV) for the same TV. I'm sure my wife will understand fully when I tell her she needs to use one receiver for recording and a seperate receiver for viewing material in "real time."

Jim
Old 01-03-2004, 08:48 PM   #26 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

tivolovit,
Thanks for the PM, I replied in the AVS Forum HDTV Hardware forum that I'll be calling Monday. Wish me luck.

Old 01-04-2004, 09:52 AM   #27 (Print)
taboo

God bless you all for passing the good deals on to the rest of us who visit often and post rarely (ie. read that as ME).

Last night I called to DE-activate a couple of receivers (bought a Dtivo unit @ BB for $99 - 10% coupon). Asked about the $20 off Premier deal, but the CSR knew nothing, so I asked to be transferred to a retention CSR. The Premier deal is supposedly "new" (not in this forum) and that's why so few CSR's know about it. Signed up for that and oh, BTW, can I get the $99 HD deal to???

Sure she says; my installer's coming Friday!!
taboo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2004, 12:10 PM   #28 (Print)
toon-time

THANKS tivolovit!

I just called and got the deal. I had to ask the first CSR to transfer me to a CSR in Retention. Now, I have my second DirecTiVo ($99 which I ordered at Christmas) and DirecTV HD both getting installed this Wed at the same time. I have been wanting HD since I got my 57" HD TV but didn't want to shell out $400 bucks for it. I can't wait.

Just FYI... everyone should ask them to add an OTA antenna. It costs extra up front on your credit card but you will get it back with programming credit.

Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:16 PM   #29 (Print)
kanderna

Thanks for sharing the love! I would love to take advantage of this, but I'm afraid I have two things working against me. If I read correctly, one of the requirements is that you have been a customer of 2+ yrs. I've been a customer of just under a year. The other thing is that I would not be able to say I'm considering leaving because I'm already stuck in a yr. commitment due to the mover's connection. On the plus side, I would need no installation, as I already have the dish and all the connections I need. But still, I'm SOL, aren't I?
kanderna is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2004, 02:57 PM   #30 (Print)
taboo

Quote:
Originally posted by kanderna
...I'm already stuck in a yr. commitment due to the mover's connection. On the plus side, I would need no installation, as I already have the dish and all the connections I need. But still, I'm SOL, aren't I?

I just committed for another year about a month ago with a new Philips Dtivo. I asked the first CSR if I could speak to a retention CSR. I then merely asked about a $99 deal with HD and the retention CSR said no problem...

Can't hurt to ask, kanderna.
taboo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post