Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #121 (Print)
exdishnet
HD is overrated...

Hemi, your post is incorrect concerning cable reception. Both HD receivers accept analog cable feeds:

"The Samsung HDTV receiver allows users to connect to DirecTV, Cable TV, and over-the-air analog and digital broadcasts."

And this re the Philips:

"The DIRECTV HD Receiver is designed to receive signals from DIRECTV, ANT and/or CABLE sources."

Last edited by exdishnet : 01-07-2004 at 05:10 PM.
exdishnet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 04:39 PM   #122 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

The receiver will accept unscrambled analog cable channels and integrate those with OTA signals, both analog and digital. What really isn't clear is whether you can use this receiver without a DirecTV subscription. If you buy it through DirecTV you have to commit to a 1 year subscription to Total Choice at a minimum.

Old 01-07-2004, 04:46 PM   #123 (Print)
exdishnet
HD is overrated...

Jim, thanks for the info above re: receiving both OTA and cable simultaneously. As to using it without DTV, I've since found the Philips manual, and it says it would be fine:

"If you don't subscribe to DIRECTV programming, however, the function of the DIRECTV HD Receiver will be limited to receiving signals only from ANT and/or CABLE . You can still enjoy HD services provided by over-the-air digital broadcast along with the conventional analog broadcast. Without the DIRECTV service, however, no electronic program guide is available."
exdishnet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 04:57 PM   #124 (Print)
kas25

Quote:
Originally posted by RMSko
Westfield, NJ - OTA antenna

Any suggestions on how you did your HD set up. I have 3 directivos currently but I want HD. I am also in Westifield.
kas25 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 05:09 PM   #125 (Print)
battrl

Quote:
Originally posted by JimSpence
The receiver will accept unscrambled analog cable channels and integrate those with OTA signals, both analog and digital. What really isn't clear is whether you can use this receiver without a DirecTV subscription. If you buy it through DirecTV you have to commit to a 1 year subscription to Total Choice at a minimum.

After my free month of D* HD is up I may try and cancel satellite service on the HD receiver and only use it for OTA reception. I will still fufill my year with Total Choice with my other receivers.

Of course, that's only if my wife doesn't absolutely fall in love with it
battrl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 05:15 PM   #126 (Print)
RMSko

Quote:
Originally posted by kas25
Any suggestions on how you did your HD set up. I have 3 directivos currently but I want HD. I am also in Westifield.

I have the oval dish with 3 LNBs, but I have't actually purchased the TV yet (I'm waiting to see what comes our of CES). I also have 3 DirecTiVos and I'm leaning toward not going with the $99 deal. Although it is a great deal (and DTV has noted in my file that I am eligible), I don't watch any live TV except sports, so I wouldn't get much benefit. I'm going to wait for the HD TiVo. But, in answer to your question, I was going to run the HD receiver (via DVI) directly into the TV and continue to leave everything else (which is only S-Video at this point), through my TiVo. Eventually, I'm going to get a DVI capable DVD player and run that, and the new HD TiVo into the HDTV via a DVI 1x2 (or 1x4) switch. What are you thinking about doing? If you haven't bought the TV yet, what are you looking at?

Philips DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTivo Series 2
Philips Standalone
RMSko is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 05:16 PM   #127 (Print)
RMSko

Quote:
Originally posted by battrl
After my free month of D* HD is up I may try and cancel satellite service on the HD receiver and only use it for OTA reception. I will still fufill my year with Total Choice with my other receivers.

You may have a tough time. The deal requires a commitment of one year to DTV HD programming.

Philips DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTivo Series 2
Philips Standalone
Old 01-07-2004, 05:20 PM   #128 (Print)
JEbbesen
Advanced Member

Quote:
You may have a tough time. The deal requires a commitment of one year to DTV HD programming.

I don't think so, at least when I got the deal on Monday, I didn't sign up for any additional programming.
JEbbesen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #129 (Print)
kas25

Quote:
I have the oval dish with 3 LNBs, but I have't actually purchased the TV yet (I'm waiting to see what comes our of CES). I also have 3 DirecTiVos and I'm leaning toward not going with the $99 deal. Although it is a great deal (and DTV has noted in my file that I am eligible), I don't watch any live TV except sports, so I wouldn't get much benefit. I'm going to wait for the HD TiVo. But, in answer to your question, I was going to run the HD receiver (via DVI) directly into the TV and continue to leave everything else (which is only S-Video at this point), through my TiVo. Eventually, I'm going to get a DVI capable DVD player and run that, and the new HD TiVo into the HDTV via a DVI 1x2 (or 1x4) switch. What are you thinking about doing? If you haven't bought the TV yet, what are you looking at?

I think I will do the $99 deal and run the new receiver next to the tivo. I already have a 60 inch HD tv that should handle the extra input. My concern is getting the correct OTA antenna installed. Any suggestions in Westfield?
Old 01-07-2004, 05:36 PM   #130 (Print)
Hemi

I stand corrected! Cool!

Dan

(just add 241 to my post count...)
Hemi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 05:42 PM   #131 (Print)
harambur

Don't you guys think that since Dish will not offer a free 921 or a deal on it, that Directv will have no reason to offer a deal on HD Tivo. Anyone waiting on HD Tivo should remember that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
harambur is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 05:49 PM   #132 (Print)
kas25

Any comments on the radio shack antennal that clips to the dish? NY area.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:38 PM   #133 (Print)
smak

Can I do this deal and not get the installation, or just tell the guy when he comes that it's already set up?

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 07:46 PM   #134 (Print)
BMelody

My receiver arrived today!!!! It is a Hughes Will not have a chance to install the new dish until Sunday, oh well.

smak, I told the guy I did not want the free installation and he said no problem.

~Bill
BMelody is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 07:54 PM   #135 (Print)
smak

So in all instances everything comes first, and later on they'll call to set up an appointment?

If so, I may go for it.

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 08:28 PM   #136 (Print)
BMelody

No smak, I told DirecTV I didn't want the free install. I told DirecTV I did not anyone screwing with any of my equipment and I wanted to install all the equipment myself. He said no problem, so I'm not expecting anyone to call.

~Bill
Old 01-07-2004, 08:40 PM   #137 (Print)
acampo

you guys are the BEST!
I bet they never had so many people canceling ha ha ha
acampo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 08:50 PM   #138 (Print)
bnormal

Received my Hughes and the 3-lnb today. I have a "professional" coming out Friday to install the sat. I setup the hughes and just ran 1 cable from my dtivo to the hughes. Setup was pretty simple. The only thing I've seen so far that sucks is that the guide defaults to "all" channels. Every time I hit the "guide" on the remote all of the channels show up. I then have to hit the "guide" on the remote to choose "favorites". Every time!

Other than that...an excellent deal

Tivolit...you are da man (or woman)!
bnormal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 08:52 PM   #139 (Print)
acampo

what model number is the hughes?
is it always shipped direct before the mr fix it comes?
acampo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 09:11 PM   #140 (Print)
BMelody

The manual says model: HTL-HD
Old 01-07-2004, 10:09 PM   #141 (Print)
bnormal

Quote:
Originally posted by acampo
what model number is the hughes?
is it always shipped direct before the mr fix it comes?

In my case it did.
bnormal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 10:35 PM   #142 (Print)
Marc

I can't decide whether I'm hoping to get the Hughes or the Samsung receiver. I had been thinking the Samsung receiver since it has coaxial digital output and my two optical connectors are already in use.

The Hughes, however, has software-controlled resolutions, including some very nice variant groupings.

I think I'm leaning toward hoping for the Hughes.
Marc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 11:45 PM   #143 (Print)
btsibr

Send a message via AIM to btsibr Send a message via Yahoo to btsibr
Failure so far

I called this evening as a 5+ year subscriber and the first rep hadn't heard anything about the deal and the second knew about it right away but said the HD package was required which was a deal killer. I'll keep trying, but a little disappointed that the second time didn't work out.

I didn't get far enough to ask if the OTA antenna would be included.

Location is Annandale, VA.
btsibr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 11:49 PM   #144 (Print)
eswanborg

Well the Superbowl being on the Satellite was the clincher. Called twice to get it. First call I just went through the "add equipment" CSR route. She would have been happy to sell me one for $399 with a 12 month commitment to TC AND HD package. I then called back to cancel and they gave me the $99 deal - with OTA antenna (north end of SFV in Los Angeles). This rep said there was a TC commitment and that the first month of HD package free then $10.99/month - no other commitment. Installer is coming Saturday.

Thanks to everyone here for making this deal known. Now I just have to find the pages with Feldon's diagrams and figure out how I want the new cables run. I haven't paid attention to the new dishes until recently (only have a dual-LNB at the moment). Do the new ones come with an integrated MS? I'd like to run two MS off this dish - one 5x8 to the Entertainment center and one to the other distribution closet in the house (to feed other TVs 101 sat only).

edit: to add NO HD commitment required & ask about dish

Last edited by eswanborg : 01-08-2004 at 01:08 AM.
eswanborg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 08:30 AM   #145 (Print)
RMSko

Quote:
I think I will do the $99 deal and run the new receiver next to the tivo. I already have a 60 inch HD tv that should handle the extra input. My concern is getting the correct OTA antenna installed. Any suggestions in Westfield?

I did it myself. It was easy, I bought the antenna from Radio Shack and installed in on the chimney. Which 60" TV do you have?

Philips DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTivo Series 2
Philips Standalone
Old 01-08-2004, 09:16 AM   #146 (Print)
kas25

Quote:
I did it myself. It was easy, I bought the antenna from Radio Shack and installed in on the chimney. Which 60" TV do you have?

Which model antenna? My wife won't go for a big antenna on the roof? I have a 57" Hitachi. Are you getting the HD channels with your antenna? I am considering Comcast for local HD but I'm not sure how this would integrate with the Directv HD tuner. Any suggestions.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:10 AM   #147 (Print)
G_S_O_D
go climb ice

Quote:

My wife won't go for a big antenna on the roof?

who wears the pants in this family H-i?

Old 01-08-2004, 11:45 AM   #148 (Print)
RMSko

Quote:
Which model antenna? My wife won't go for a big antenna on the roof? I have a 57" Hitachi. Are you getting the HD channels with your antenna? I am considering Comcast for local HD but I'm not sure how this would integrate with the Directv HD tuner. Any suggestions.

Unfortunately I don't know the model number. It's a regular Radio Shack roof antenna. No way will I switch back to Comcast. First, the HD TiVo is expected to be terrific and second, Comcast was terrible when I had Digital Cable with them. I'm sure that given your proximity to NYC, HD locals will not be a problem.

Philips DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTivo Series 2
Philips Standalone
Old 01-08-2004, 12:37 PM   #149 (Print)
dqhall

DirecTV HD Deal.

Just got off the phone with a DirecTv CSR (Idaho office). Told him that I had bought the DirecTv HD equipment in December for $399 and wanted a credit since they are offering the $99 deal. After 15 minutes of waiting on hold, the CSR returned and offered me a $200 credit towards my account and 6 months free of HBO and Showtime. I took the deal. Thanks for the valuable information.
dqhall is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 01:33 PM   #150 (Print)
kas25

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't know the model number. It's a regular Radio Shack roof antenna. No way will I switch back to Comcast. First, the HD TiVo is expected to be terrific and second, Comcast was terrible when I had Digital Cable with them. I'm sure that given your proximity to NYC, HD locals will not be a problem.

i guess you are using the antenna for digital local channels?