TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2004, 03:57 PM   #151 (Print)
slambert007

I called and let them know that I was moving and planning on switching to cable. They said they would offer me the $99 deal, but didn't mention anything about having to pay $399 and receiving $300 credit. When I told them my new address, however, they said that I would have to go through Pegasis (which I guess is some national reseller?) for service. When I called Pegasis they said the systems were all out and they suggested I go to BestBuy to purchase one. I decided to just get two Hughes SDDVR40 from Circuit City for $99.99 each.

Does anyone know what Pegasis' role is? Is it just because I'm moving to some VERY small town on the coast and DirecTV doesn't want to deal w/the town directly?

thanks

sean
slambert007 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 04:19 PM   #152 (Print)
tthomasjr

Note Yes it IS TRUE $99 plus shipping/tax

I just ordered mine today after reading the posts on this message board. THANKS ALOT. I was waiting for the hd tivo receiver but got tired of the wait. I have a 65" Hitachi Hi Def tv with nothing to show on it, until now. It also comes with a hidef dish and professional installation. WOW, what a bargain. Also, the initial sales rep I talked with knew nothing about it but she referred me to someone else and he said, "let me see if you qualify and I did" I will just leave my tivo receiver hooked up to vid 3 and hook up my hidef receiver to vid 1 that way i do not lose the benefit of tivo.
Thanks again
Tommie

Kenwood VR-506 Dolby Digital Rcvr
Hughes HTL HiDef DTV Receiver
tthomasjr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 04:22 PM   #153 (Print)
Fezmid

Done!

I called DirecTV and spoke with a CSR who then transferred me to someone else. I mentioned the deal, and she said that the deal is only for people who rent all of their equipment. Never heard of that before, no idea what she was talking about, but I asked for customer retention. She got annoyed, but transferred me.

I then spkoe with David in customer retention and told him I wanted the $99 deal. He put me on hold for a couple of minutes, then came back and told me that I was eligable. He explained the charge/credit issue. Then as he was placing the order, he said that I was eligable for the OTA antenna for $50, but that I'd get that back as well. The hardware will get to me early next week, and the installer will be coming Wednesday between 1-5 I asked about the multiswitch, and he said that the order automatically pulls up what is needed based on my existing hardware, so the multiswitch was already in the order. Cool beans.

Now I just have to talk to the installer about running wire in the walls, which David did say would be extra (that's expected). I'm pretty psyched, just hope that the installer won't say "Can't fish wires, tough luck"

To top it off, I didn't have to commit to ANY programming. He didn't tell me I needed 1 year of TC *or* HD. Cool beans (not that I'm leaving anyway...)

BTW, my area code is 54016, and they offered me the OTA without me asking.
CW
Fezmid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 04:39 PM   #154 (Print)
jasonl99
Now New and Improved

Geeze, why do I have so much trouble with this? I've called twice, and neither time did anyone come close to offering this.

When told that I had a friend who had done this, the CSR (in retention dept, by the way), asked me for the account's phone # so she could look it up and match it. I've already got an eleven month committment, so I figure what the heck's another month; I plan on cancelling direcTV service anyway after that time if HMO isn't available.
jasonl99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #155 (Print)
bwalls

I just called DirectTV and was able to get the HD deal as well. It did take alittle patience, but the retention CSR finally "found" the deal.

Anyway, I do have a couple of additional questions:
1. I live in Boston and it isn't on the list of local channels being broadcast in HD. Where/Whom would I call to see if/when Boston will broadcast local channels in HD (i.e. cable company, gov agency??)

2. The CSR told me that for local channels I would need an offair ant. It this one of those big ones or does it fit on the DTV satelight. I am thinking that while they are installing a new satelight, I might as well get ready for local HD broadcast when they come.

3. I was also thinking of doing the $99 DirectTV/Tivo deal. Since there doesn't seem to be 1 receiver with HD and Tivo, how would this work? The guy at DirectTV told me I would have 2 receivers into my TV and use the INPUT button to change between. Is this true.

Thanks for any help in advance.
bwalls is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 05:23 PM   #156 (Print)
battrl

My installation was successfully completed this afternoon. I got the Samsung receiver and a Winegard Sensar II OTA.

The only negative was when I had to speak with the D* CSR on the phone to activate the second receiver, she had no record of the free month of the HD programming package because "That promotion expired two weeks ago and I see no notes in your account saying differently." It's only $11 but it was part of the deal they offered me Tuesday night and I didn't appreciate her tone at all. I'm going to try and call the retention dept back tonight.
battrl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 06:17 PM   #157 (Print)
tivolovit

OK, I hope this doesn't bum anyone BUT!

OK, yesterday when I called to activate my receiver, and get my credit I was informed that they are not crediting my credit card back. Now it ends up being the same difference but I do not like "floating" DirecTV. Instead what they do is give you credit toward your programming until the amount is used up. That means I will get a couple of months and a little more out of them for "FREE" as they apply my credit. The most annoying part about it is that THIS WAS NOT MY UNDERSTANDING when I originally placed the call. Now I didn't specifically ask about this, I just assumed (yeah, I know the saying ) but the CSR also played the "ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies" game. So, I just wanted to update everyone. I haven't seen anyone else post this info after they got theirs and activated it. Since I posted this I feel a little bad if anyone gets into a bad situation because of it. Some people may have 3-6 months before they see all of their credit because of their programming selections. I added that info to the original post I put at the begining of this thread so anyone else will know if they choose to take advantage of this.

Maybe I was just being thick or only heard what I wanted to ($99 HD Reciever!) and shut the rest out.

Sorry again if this is unwelcome information.

RCA DVR-39 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Hughes SD-DVR40 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Lifetime TiVo Subscription

Last edited by tivolovit : 01-08-2004 at 06:24 PM.
tivolovit is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 06:20 PM   #158 (Print)
G_S_O_D
go climb ice

From reading the other posts here it was very clear to me that you're charged the $399 and get the $300 credit towards programming--not the money back.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:16 PM   #159 (Print)
bnormal

tivolit

You have absolutely nothing to be sorry about! I found out when I called that the credit was applied to your monthly bill.

Do you realize that you were able to save a few dozen people hundreds of dollars?

Outstanding!
bnormal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 08:04 PM   #160 (Print)
RDRams

Got the Goods Today

The FedEx man brought a HTL HD today I ordered on the $109 deal.
Thanks for the info it saved me $350.
RDRams is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #161 (Print)
Fezmid

Re: OK, I hope this doesn't bum anyone BUT!

Quote:
Originally posted by tivolovit
OK, yesterday when I called to activate my receiver, and get my credit I was informed that they are not crediting my credit card back. Now it ends up being the same difference but I do not like "floating" DirecTV. Instead what they do is give you credit toward your programming until the amount is used up. That means I will get a couple of months and a little more out of them for "FREE" as they apply my credit. The most annoying part about it is that THIS WAS NOT MY UNDERSTANDING when I originally placed the call. Now I didn't specifically ask about this, I just assumed (yeah, I know the saying ) but the CSR also played the "ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies" game. So, I just wanted to update everyone. I haven't seen anyone else post this info after they got theirs and activated it. Since I posted this I feel a little bad if anyone gets into a bad situation because of it. Some people may have 3-6 months before they see all of their credit because of their programming selections. I added that info to the original post I put at the begining of this thread so anyone else will know if they choose to take advantage of this.

Maybe I was just being thick or only heard what I wanted to ($99 HD Reciever!) and shut the rest out.

Sorry again if this is unwelcome information.

Actually, I was specifically told that they WILL credit my credit card. I asked about that (because I was fine with them just giving me credits on my bill until the total amount was used). But when I asked that, he said that no, they charge the credit card and then immediately send a credit to your credit card. Not sure if my guy (David) was wrong or whatnot, but that's what he specifically told me.

Also, does anyone know what OTA Antenna they ship? I saw another poster mention the Winegard Sensar II -- but there appears to be two of them, the DS1000 and the DS2000. I'm guessing the DS1000 is the one we get (range up to 25 miles), but I wanted to doublecheck -- my wife's freaking out that there'll be yet another ugly thing on the roof

CW
Old 01-08-2004, 08:42 PM   #162 (Print)
G_S_O_D
go climb ice

I wonder if the announcment today of the Dirctv HD-Tivo in Q1 of 2004 has anything to do with this deal...something like "clear the channel" of HD boxes?

Old 01-08-2004, 11:05 PM   #163 (Print)
rworrell

Got the deal...mostly

Called directly to the retention department, given the instructions posted earlier in this thread. CSR was very nice, but offered me the standard $399 HD package for existing customers. I told him that I had heard other people were getting the HD package for $399 with a $300 credit. He said that was way more credit than he could apply.

I threw in the old "well, I know Dish is offering free HD" ploy and he said he'd look a little more. Then, he found the offer. I think he really didn't know about it because he was reading the terms to himself out loud as if he hadn't seen them before.

He then volunteered that I was eligible for the OTA antenna for $50 (I'm in Hopkins, a suburb of Minneapolis). He would not, however, give me a credit back for the OTA. I even asked twice about it, commenting that other people had specifically noted that they had received a credit for both the HD gear AND the OTA, but he wouldn't bite. I also had to agree to 1 year of TC and HD.

So, I think I got a great deal, just not as great as some of you have--but not for a lack of trying on my part. He clearly wasn't going to budge on the antenna and he was quite clear that the rules stated that the $300 credit can only be offered on one phone call and the transaction had to be completed on that same phone call, so there was no way I was going to hang up and try again--I might get nothing at all that way!

One other interesting note for my fellow Twin Citians--he said that Minneapolis was an area that gets discounted shipping, so it would only be $14.95 for shipping instead of the normal $24.95. I figured that pretty much pays for one month of the service.

All in all, I'm quite psyched. Installation is scheduled for next Thursday morning, but I'm hopeful my tuner will arrive prior to that.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this deal to my attention! You know, we're all so thankful that we saved $300 on this deal, when really we saved $400-$500 when compared to buying it from the store.
rworrell is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 11:09 PM   #164 (Print)
btsibr

Send a message via AIM to btsibr Send a message via Yahoo to btsibr
Success on third try.

I posted above about two unsuccessful tries, but on the third try this afternoon I was successful. No OTA antenna for Annandale, VA and they weren't interested in providing a 5x8 multiswitch.

And this time they said I have NO change to any new programming even as I'm not on Total Choice (the old Select Choice for $26/mo). But thankfully no HD channel requirement..

I've got to say that even though it seems pretty bad that all of the DirecTV reps don't have the same information, every one of them was more than willing to take the time to work on it and were nice as can be. Got to be one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had with them. Zero wait time too (but that may be because I was going to the 0-3 retention line).

Edit: Also, they did credit for the shipping, in her words: "It says to credit until the total is $99". Also, I very specifically asked her about the programming requirements and all she said was the 1 year commitment to stay with DirecTV. She was also reading it for the first time when I talked to her.

Last edited by btsibr : 01-08-2004 at 11:15 PM.
btsibr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 12:43 AM   #165 (Print)
Marc

Re: Re: OK, I hope this doesn't bum anyone BUT!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fezmid
Also, does anyone know what OTA Antenna they ship?

The one I received was the Winegard Sensar GS-1000.

On another note, I ended up getting the Samsung TS160 receiver. I thought I would have preferred the Hughes due to the variant grouping for HD resolutions, but it turns out that my Mitsubishi doesn't support 720p anyway, so I'm better off having the Samsung.
Marc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 01:12 AM   #166 (Print)
dmk1974

I think it's great that you guys are getting these deals. Trying to be proactive, I had an OTA Winegard antenna professionally installed in my attic ($350), got a floor model Hughes HD E-86 box ($300) and the new oval dish installed ($250) back last March 2003. All that for 4 crappy channels that they want an extra $11 a month for. The deal with install for $399 seems good enough to me. With you guys getting it basically for $99, I am extremely jealous.

Maybe they'd just give me a $300 credit for the hell of it if I say I'm disabling my HD receiver and HD package subscription? Or I should just order the deal you guys are getting, get a newer HD box and $300 credit and then ebay the old E-86 box and new dish?

dmk1974 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 04:09 PM   #167 (Print)
exdishnet
HD is overrated...

FYI for those debating on whether to do the deal, or keeping score on who gets what: I signed up today. With the receiver ($399), an OTA antenna ($50), delivery and tax, my total came to $502. They agreed to credit back all but $199 -- I've only been with DTV about 15 months. I was pleased to find that the tax and delivery charges were part of the credit-back amount (they credited me $303). I had thought I'd be charged for those outside of the credit-back amount, so that saved me about $50 over what I'd been expecting.

I also got them to note in the account that I had the right to call and cancel my HD subscription at any time during the 12 months that I would otherwise have been obligated to continue to purchase HD. This was something we negotiated because I am not certain how my OTA HD reception will be, and if that doesn't work well, I will be selling the receiver (and then won't want the HD subscription). My first month of HD service is free; then the generic fine print says I'm obligated to 11 months of purchasing HD, but my record further states that I have the right to cancel that requirement without consequence.

Installation is next Wednesday. I'm in the L.A. area.
exdishnet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 04:20 PM   #168 (Print)
dmk1974

Do they ship the receiver and dish to you and then the installer simply hooks it all up or does the installer bring everything at the time of installation?

dmk1974 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 04:27 PM   #169 (Print)
exdishnet
HD is overrated...

They ship the receiver by FedEx. The customer rep tried to set me up for installation on Monday morning, but I pointed out that if they were shipping the receiver separately, it wasn't going to be here by Monday at 8 unless he planned to overnight it immediately. You'd think he might have realized that...

In my case, I just need the 3rd LNB on my existing oval, so the installer will handle that. I think he would have brought the whole dish, had I needed it. I don't think they ship dish/dish parts.
exdishnet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 04:34 PM   #170 (Print)
Fezmid

Quote:
Originally posted by exdishnet
They ship the receiver by FedEx. The customer rep tried to set me up for installation on Monday morning, but I pointed out that if they were shipping the receiver separately, it wasn't going to be here by Monday at 8 unless he planned to overnight it immediately. You'd think he might have realized that...

In my case, I just need the 3rd LNB on my existing oval, so the installer will handle that. I think he would have brought the whole dish, had I needed it. I don't think they ship dish/dish parts.

When I signed up, the guy said that it takes 5 days to get the dish, so scheduled installation for Wednesday (I ordered yesterday, and have since rescheduled the installation to Thursday due to a conflict I forgot about). I guess he wasn't reading that from the screen, that he was just using common sense

Regarding the dish, I'm guessing they ship that too. When I took advantage of the Movers Program, they shipped me the new dish via UPS and the installer came and put it up on the roof. I'm assuming they'll do the same thing here, but I could be wrong.

CW
Old 01-09-2004, 04:41 PM   #171 (Print)
amory
Mostly a Lurker

Just got it.

I hadn't been checking this forum for a while and just decided to check it out the other day. I needed to upgrade my second dish to a triple LNB, and was prepared to cough up $49 plus $15 s&h. In effect with this deal I get an hdtv receiver and free hdtv for a month for $35! (well, I guess I have to pay $5 mirroring fee too.)

First regular CSR knew nothing of the deal, I asked to be transferred to retention and the rep signed me up right away. No commitment on the HD programming, 1 year for at least TC.

I will be issued a credit on programmining, not a direct refund to my credit card, but the net amount is $99. I didn't ask about an OTA.

Old 01-09-2004, 04:43 PM   #172 (Print)
Marc

Hey, I didn't get my dish, now that I think about it.

The DirecTV guy said that since I already had a triple-LNB dish installed, I could just keep the new dish since I had paid for it. I didn't get it.

I should call them about that. It might be useful to someone on eBay.
Marc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 05:01 PM   #173 (Print)
G_S_O_D
go climb ice

quick question:

how many coax lines are run from the dish?

I've got a dual LNB with 2 lines running to my directivo now...what will I need to add for the HD unit and the triple LNB?

Old 01-09-2004, 05:05 PM   #174 (Print)
bnormal

My receiver and dish were shipped directly to me.
bnormal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 05:10 PM   #175 (Print)
Vin

The triple LNB dish has a built in multiswitch with 4 outputs so just make sure all 4 lines are run into your house even if you only need 3 right now.

If you ever have the need to feed more than 4 tuners all 4 lines need to be connected to a 4x8 or 5x8 casacadable multiswitch.

Vin
Vin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 05:40 PM   #176 (Print)
G_S_O_D
go climb ice

another one:

Is the OTA antenna worth the $50 if I'm not eligible for a free one?

and...If I buy the OTA from them will they install it for free?

Old 01-09-2004, 05:49 PM   #177 (Print)
DTivoMem

Cool

That Tivolovit for letting us all in on this great deal. I called on Tuesday night and had the receiver (Hughes HLT-HD) and new dish on my doorstep when i got in from work last night. I am scheduled for having the install on Tuesday morning.

Being excited about finally getting a good deal to see some real HDTV on my 5 month old HDTV monitor. I asked about the antenna and was told they didn't have such a thing, even one i could buy. She wanted to know why i thought i needed one, which threw me for a loop for a moment (did i really need an antenna, well then of course I went back into reality and thought of course since I will for sure want to see the spotty HD Locals). The CSR was not familiar with the deal at all, said I was the first person she did this with. I was committed to 12 more months of TC package, however she didn't even mention the HD Package. I was amazed that they credited to my account immediately, in fact she wouldn't let me hang up until she confirmed my credit on the D* account.

I am going to work this weekend on getting my OTA setup before the installation guy comes out. I'm also planning on runninght this receiver next to my Tivo, cause I just couldn't bear TV without Tivo.

Anyone inside the loop in Memphis have ideas on a decent Antenna?

Hughes HTL-HD
DTivoMem is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 05:58 PM   #178 (Print)
CalypsoCowboy

Well two calls and no luck, best I got was 150 off and they said I would have to have the HD package. I think what is catching me up, what the CSR said was I just reactivated a month ago, and they don't count my previous time with D* So not sure if anyone has run into it, but if your thinking about getting a cheapo system and then going for this deal, be prepared it may not work.

Josh
CalypsoCowboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 07:07 PM   #179 (Print)
G_S_O_D
go climb ice

Got the deal on the first try.

Gave my spiel to the retention CSR about Dish's free HD offer and she said we can get you one for $399...long silence. She said "well that's not free" lets see what else we can do. Then the $99 offer was given WITH the HD committment: I said no way...only with the TC for a year. She was pretty firm on that until I made her check with someone who waived the HD programming.

No OTA at 29205

At first when I asked about HD she said since I had a PVR I should just wait for the HD PVR that's going to be released. I said I wanted HD right NOW!

And they're installing next saturday.

I'm happy.

Old 01-09-2004, 10:01 PM   #180 (Print)
kas25

Quote:
Originally posted by Vin
The triple LNB dish has a built in multiswitch with 4 outputs so just make sure all 4 lines are run into your house even if you only need 3 right now.

If you ever have the need to feed more than 4 tuners all 4 lines need to be connected to a 4x8 or 5x8 casacadable multiswitch.

Vin

I have 3 tuners so I assume I should get at least 3 lines into the house. Each line should be switched into 2 to take to each of the 3 tivos. Will this give me a better set up than having one line swithced into 6 lines?
kas25 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post