Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2004, 11:56 AM   #31 (Print)
singe606
some guy.

Send a message via ICQ to singe606 Send a message via AIM to singe606 Send a message via Yahoo to singe606
my father-in-law is having this problem occasionally with his hdvr2 (s-video to sony tv). i have the dvr2 also, using s-video to an rca tv - haven't encountered this problem yet. does anyone know if rebooting solves the problem completely or if that's just a temporary fix? any new discoveries on this issue? thanks
singe606 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2004, 12:10 PM   #32 (Print)
minorthr
O and A Party Rock

Send a message via AIM to minorthr
I have the same problem with a year old HDVR-2(3). Started with in the last 4 months I would say. Happens maybe once a month. I'm glad to see others have the same issue as I was going to buy a new Tv. I have it hooked up with Svideo. I have tried different cables going threw a switch box and a receiver and it still does it.

minorthr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-27-2004, 10:55 PM   #33 (Print)
schell

If I pause a once or twice, or swap tuners, it fixes itself, I am going to contact Samsung, and see what they say.
schell is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-28-2004, 12:19 AM   #34 (Print)
Shredfest

This just happened to me for the first time tonight on my 107 hour HDVR2. I was watching a recorded program, and suddenly the color dropped out. I immediately started checking the s-video connections as I know this will happen if the connection is loose and the chroma signal is not being sent properly as a result. No improvement after a minute or so of jiggling, pushing, etc. Walked back to the sofa, watched the last minute or so of the program, went back to the NP list, and after a little bit the color came back on it's own. Weird, though it was cool seeing the 1950's style B&W TiVo menus!

By the way, I had pulled the plug on this same HDVR2 for about 20 minutes earlier in the day to correct the "No signal on Sat 2" problem.

Expert Satellite Affiliate Code ref9605
Shredfest is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-28-2004, 03:07 AM   #35 (Print)
Coladar

I've been having the same problem with my HDVR2 randomly for the last year. It was one of the first batches of HDVR2s, and I noticed the problem first in late December 2002. Never saw any posts about it, so I just assumed it was a problem specific to my setup. It happens so rarely that it isn't problematic yet... I'm just concerned it's a hardware problem that might degrade over time.
Coladar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-28-2004, 09:06 PM   #36 (Print)
danwassink

No color

I have had the same problem intermittently, Tonight I tore apart my whole system trying to diagnose the problem. It's my Hugh's Directv PVR. I replaced the s-video cable...no color. I plugged in my DVD player directly using the same cable and color! I then used standard RCA cable to the Tivo unit and no color. Basically I can get color out of my TV and DVD player but not out of the Tivo unit using the same cables.

I rebooted the Tivo unit and tried the back button as somebody mentioned above...neither worked. I changed the channel and I got color!

I love my Tivo, but this is a little disappointing.
danwassink is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-28-2004, 10:13 PM   #37 (Print)
mweppner

I've had it too. Mine was occuring after fast channel surfing as mentioned in a post above. It has happened on 2 of my 4 receivers - both Hughes HDVR2. It has not happened on my Sat-T60 or my Philips (forget the model #).

It seems that with this happening so much with so many different receivers, it must be a Tivo problem, and not a hardware problem - in my opinion anyway. It's only happened a handful of times, so I'm not that bothered by it, but interesting to see if any solution is found.
mweppner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-28-2004, 11:54 PM   #38 (Print)
ctrl-brk

thought i would chime in here, i've got a phillips dsr7000, purchased and installed at the end of december 2003 and use the s-video and optical digital to my receiver. TV is a Toshiba 61" rear projection.

i've seen this problem occur just once now and the first thing I did was turn off/on the TV, which seemed to solve it for me.
ctrl-brk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-30-2004, 09:50 AM   #39 (Print)
Nutter
Learner

Arrow Me too

Same problem, loss of color (not recorded) messed with it for a min or 2 then color came back. Unit is 8 weeks old.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:43 AM   #40 (Print)
ShorTivo

I also have this problem on my HDVR40 (35 hour unit) that I've had since Nov. 2003. I don't know that it is related to channel surfing as it has happened to me while watching a movie (i.e. the channel hasn't changed in 45 minutes or so.) I haven't been able to reproduce it, but it usually goes away on its own within 30-45 seconds (or less). Annoying, yes, but it has been such an infrequent problem that I haven't taken the time to investigate.
ShorTivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-30-2004, 11:16 AM   #41 (Print)
dr6583

It seems that for many, the problem is so infrequent as to not pose much concern. Before I had my unit replaced, I was geting the problem multiple times a day and it could take upwards of 5 min. before it went away. I considered that too much of a problem, and had the unit replaced under warrantly. Fortunately, the replacement unit only has the problem once every week or so, and for only a few seconds at a time.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the problem occur as frequently as I have. What I'm more concerned with is the possiblilty that in time the problem will beome much more of a problem, occuring much more often and for longer periods of time, and of course this will happen precisely at the time warranty expires...
dr6583 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-30-2004, 11:27 AM   #42 (Print)
danwassink

Loss of Color

In response to dr6583. Mine seems to be getting worse. It happens more often and for longer periods of time. Lately I've been able to correct it by turning my TV off and then on, but that only works sometimes. I've had my Hughs unit for about 6 months, maybe longer. It was happening maybe once a month, during December and January it now seems to be once a week and in the last few days it has been daily. If it keeps acting up, I'll start keeping a log and post it here (as well as let Tivo/DirecTV know). Of course, once I start keeping a log, it'll be fine...hence the reason I should do it.

Dan
Old 01-30-2004, 11:39 AM   #43 (Print)
dr6583

Re: Loss of Color

Quote:
Originally posted by danwassink
In response to dr6583. Mine seems to be getting worse. It happens more often and for longer periods of time. Lately I've been able to correct it by turning my TV off and then on, but that only works sometimes. I've had my Hughs unit for about 6 months, maybe longer. It was happening maybe once a month, during December and January it now seems to be once a week and in the last few days it has been daily. If it keeps acting up, I'll start keeping a log and post it here (as well as let Tivo/DirecTV know). Of course, once I start keeping a log, it'll be fine...hence the reason I should do it.

Dan

That's unfortunate, and is exactly what I fear will yet happen to me and others. These types of flaky problems tend to only get worse, never better. It is indicative of a flaky chip somewhere (interlace chip or some other video related processing chip).

IIRC the Hughes is only under *full* warranty for 90 days, so unfortunately if you want it taken care of you will have to spit out some money for "labor" and shipping, perhaps. I would definitely try everything I can to convince whomever you boght it from that the problem has been occuring *since new* and it has recently gotton worse. Reference other people's similar problems, such as this forum. IMO this is a "recall" level event, obviously effecting a great number of people, and Hughes should repair or replace any and all defective units free of charge to include those out of current warrantly coverage. That's wishful thinking, I know...

Anotehr option you may possibly have, I don't know for sure, but maybe, is if its not too late to enroll in the extended warranty. IIRC direcTV told me this would be $7.99 monthly for the "advanced equipment" plan, which includes the DVRs, the dish and all cabling, etc.) that way you could wait a month or so 9so it doesn't look like you got the warrantly after the problem occured) then they should send you out new or refurbished one. that way you are only out 8 or 16 bucks, as opposed to 100 bucks for a new one at retail price. Just some ideas...
dr6583 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-30-2004, 11:59 AM   #44 (Print)
danwassink

Thanks for the suggestions. My thinking is if it keeps acting up, get an SA unit. Of course I would let DirecTV know why I was doing this. I really like the HMO option (my buddy has it) and I like the idea of putting a Tivo in the bedroom and sharing the two...but I really like the 5.1 and the dual tuner...hmmm

Does anyone know if this is happening on only the DirecTV units or on all Tivo units?
Old 02-04-2004, 10:07 PM   #45 (Print)
schell

I think mine will be replaced tomorrow, I will let you know if it is any better, my Samsung is getting worse, it is only 2-3 weeks old.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:37 PM   #46 (Print)
haggis444
Master of my domain

Add yet another... Had my HDVR2 for about two weeks, happened only once and was very brief.

Onkyo TX-SR601, TX-SR800
Sony 32WD510, 57WS500
Antennacraft CS600 (VHF) in attic
Channel Master 4221A (UHF) in attic
Channel Master 7777 Pre-amp
haggis444 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-04-2004, 11:45 PM   #47 (Print)
schell

Does anyone NOT have this problem, if so please post what kind of receiver you have ,mine is a Samsung
Old 02-05-2004, 07:41 AM   #48 (Print)
whsbuss
Advanced Member

Maybe the new software update (3.1.1c) now being downloaded will address this problem.

www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158234
whsbuss is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-05-2004, 03:53 PM   #49 (Print)
jasonl99
Now New and Improved

Quote:
Originally posted by whsbuss
Maybe the new software update (3.1.1c) now being downloaded will address this problem.

www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158234

Not likely. We haven't gone through the whole rigamorole of DirecTV blaming TiVo, and TiVo blaming DirecTV, and then the outright denial that there's a problem. Once that's occurred, someone will actually acknowledge the problem. The fix will come one year from that day.

Color me cynical.
jasonl99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-05-2004, 07:07 PM   #50 (Print)
Malakie

Mine was doing this every so often after I first got it. On the 90th day that I had my machine it started encountering the "stopple" issue, so I sent it in and had the hard drive replaced. Thank goodness it was not one day later or I would have had to pay the labor.

Since I have received it back, I haven't seen it do it.........yet.

I have also seen the background flicker red, while in the menu screens. Particularly, if I try to check my satellite strength.
Malakie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-06-2004, 07:52 AM   #51 (Print)
Ghost Dog

Angry COUNT ME IN!

COUNT ME IN!

I have a Hughes DVR-40

I've owned this unit since December 2003, and it has happened to me frequently (several times a week, both in Live TV and recorded material). I didn't want to return the unit right away because it was a gift and I signed up for a contract to get it at the $99 price. I didn't want to go through the hassle of exchanging it and going through the whole messy contract business...I thought I really screwed myself until I realize that it's happening all over, even with units that were exchanged for newer ones and different brands. Whew, I guess.

I was recently thinking about doing the warranty service, but had my doubts that DirecTV would be able to "fix" the problem since it can't be re-created on command...it just "happens" intermittently. I even posted about this problem back in December under a heading referring to the DVR-40, but now I see so many people having it and having it all over - I guess I feel a LITTLE better (knowing I'm not alone anymore)

* I also have been experiencing audio hiccups - I'm using Dolby Digital.

+++

This does piss me off though! I owned for many years a Hughes DirecTivo model GXCEB0T and it worked PERFECTLY. The only reason I had to get a new one was because lightning struck it and the tuner died. I was well out of warranty too, so I figured it was cheaper to buy brand new...well, THAT was a mistake. I think I'll see about getting my old reliable fixed, but they'd probably suggest charging me for a re-furb replacement - no thanks.

Keep up this thread - this is a big problem and majorly annyoying. It's especially screwing my life up because I do analog-capture of my recorded material to my PC in order to back up things to DVD. Well, just imagine when I'm doing that and the damn color goes and I have to start all over or live with an archive that shows me fiddling with rewind/fast forward or the jump-back button in order to get the color back
Ghost Dog is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-06-2004, 08:50 AM   #52 (Print)
speedy4022

I am curious and would like to know what model receiver and TV everyone who has this problem has. I will go first I have a 50 in rear projection Mitsubishi TV and have had an HDVR2 and Samsung unit both DVR have this problem. I was thinking maybe it has something to do with what TV you have because not everyone has this problem. Also I have a 25 in sharp TV in my bedroom with a SD-DVR40 and have not seen this problem on that setup.

R-15
Hughes SD-DVR 40
Samsung SIR-S4120R 100 hrs
R10 70 Hrs
all unhacked
speedy4022 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-06-2004, 09:14 AM   #53 (Print)
schell

I have a Sony 53 inch rear projection tv, and the Samsung SIR S4040R
Old 02-06-2004, 09:51 AM   #54 (Print)
mav63

Colorless

I have a Series 2 connected to a Sony 34in through S-video and have experienced the loss of color since I bought it in 2002. It always comes back after 2 min at most. Twice it took longer and I rebooted the box to correct it. I see mostly posts from New Members. Do any of you Senior Members have any ideas what may be causing this. Don't say it is an accessory problem, i.e. cables, power...

Old 02-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #55 (Print)
speedy4022

I have no idea what is causing this but if I had guess it has something to do with video inputs and certain TVs as not everyone has this problem. also I forgot to mention how I hooked my unit up maybe it would be helpful to list that as well I have an S-video hook up. Also has anyone reported this to DTV or Tivo?

R-15
Hughes SD-DVR 40
Samsung SIR-S4120R 100 hrs
R10 70 Hrs
all unhacked
speedy4022 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-06-2004, 11:12 AM   #56 (Print)
WoOSprinter

Send a message via AIM to WoOSprinter
Hughes HDVR2 in the bedroom
Hughes HD-120 in the living room

they both do it.

switched Svideo cables on both, still do it
have sony 27inch in bedroom and sony XBR450 in the living room

but it only does it when I surf channels by using the channel up/down button, not when hitting the number and then enter.
WoOSprinter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-06-2004, 12:19 PM   #57 (Print)
durvivor

Class Action Lawsuit!!!

Class Action Lawsuit!!!

With the money I get, I'm going to buy a Pony.

Seriously though.

I've seen it on my (bought the week they first came out on sale) HDVR2 hooked up to my Sony Wega. At the time I assumed it was the TV. I thought it was because I had my TiVo sitting directly on my TV & something was interfering with something.
durvivor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-08-2004, 12:58 PM   #58 (Print)
Z'Loth
Student & Overworked

I've had this happen about 2-3 times already. The most recent occurance was when I was transferring Battlestar Galactica to videotape. I had to reboot my HDVR2 in order to resolve this issue.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:07 PM   #59 (Print)
rhuntington3
Howdy!

I never had this problem on my nearly 3 year old Sony SAT-T60.
rhuntington3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-08-2004, 02:29 PM   #60 (Print)
schell

I love having a tivo, but my old sony receiver was so much better