Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 02-08-2004, 06:42 PM   #61 (Print)
Steve Mehs
TiVo Advanced Member

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Mehs Send a message via AIM to Steve Mehs Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Mehs
I'm a new DirecTV subscriber from Dish and got 2 RCA DTiVo units yesterday, it took less then 15 minutes of use for this to happen multiple times. Like most I thought it was a cable problem, I thought the installer might have slightly bent one of the pins in the svideo cable and the vibrations from the hard drive cause it to go nuts, but after tuning on my DTiVo and having the same thing happen I kinda got the hint. Both units do it quite frequently, in 24 hours mines done it probably over a dozen times, same with my moms, is there any hope of having the problem fixed, I mean it really is annoying, and after preaching the praises of DirecTV for the past few weeks, it won't support my cause if this happens when I show it off to friends and family. I love the features of the DTiVo compared to the Dish508, the 508 was nothing but a digtal vcr, and I knew the DTiVo would have a few bugs, but nothing like this. It's still greta to get away from Charlie aka satan.

TV sets are a 48" Sony and 32" Philips, both are connected to the DTivo via svideo.

Old 02-08-2004, 06:55 PM   #62 (Print)
ATLMike

Send a message via AIM to ATLMike Send a message via Yahoo to ATLMike
My box doesn't flicker nearly that much. It's happened to me maybe once per month. I think your best bet is to exchange them, especially since they are so new.

TraderMike.net
ATLMike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-10-2004, 09:37 AM   #63 (Print)
platty

We saw this last night with our new Samsung s4040r. It seemed to happen randomly while watching a recorded show. The color seemed to disappear or be "patchy" on the menus with makes me suspicious of the output side of things, though since this shows up in a bunch of different brands, it does seem to make a software issue more plausible.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:40 PM   #64 (Print)
bwise

I have the same thing frequently. A pause and play will fix it for me.
bwise is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-12-2004, 01:32 AM   #65 (Print)
schell

I just receiver a Hughes receiver to replace the Samsung, I can tell right away it will be a better unit, the b&w picture could be recreated by channel surfing with the Samsung, I cant get the Hughes unit to lose color doing the same thing, I think the Samsung unit I had was not a good unit, because it was getting worse, sometimes I would have the loss of color several times a day.So far so good
schell is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-12-2004, 10:24 AM   #66 (Print)
XMnut
I am without title

Send a message via Yahoo to XMnut
Seen it for the first time last night on my Philips dsr7000
XMnut is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-12-2004, 11:26 AM   #67 (Print)
suignrs

For what it's worth - I too was having the loss of color problem, intermittently. I could correct the problem by playing the programming through my DVD recorder (someone else here has mentioned this same phenomenon). When I reported the problem on this forum, a kindly soul said the problem was a weak signal (which occurs sporadically and which isn't affected when using the DVD because of a stronger amplifier in that unit) which could be corrected with an amplifier. Being the cheap guy I am, rather than going for a boosted amplifier, I placed one of those RCA line passive pre-amps right at the dish on each cable feed and then connecting them to the cables going to the house. The result has been that in the many months since I took this action, the color loss has occurred only once, and for only a few seconds. I believe the pre-amps have definitely helped in stemming the problem, and thus I believe that the signal strength is the culprit.

Like I say, for what it's worth.
suignrs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-12-2004, 11:49 AM   #68 (Print)
platty

I don't believe the issue being reported here has anything to do with signal strength because:

a) When I see it I am watching a recording and if I rewind (perhaps a couple of times) it goes away. So it obviously recorded OK.
b) When I see it my menus also have color problems.

Old 02-12-2004, 03:30 PM   #69 (Print)
nuke

I've had the color flicker out lately too.

I guess somebody's chipset has a flaw in it.
nuke is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-13-2004, 01:45 PM   #70 (Print)
Bill99

It just started happening on my month and a half old Phillips DSR7000. I just changed my mind on talking my mother into getting DTivo.
Bill99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-19-2004, 03:58 PM   #71 (Print)
schell

Just to report, I swapped out my Samsung receiver for the Hughes, I have not had any trouble yet, it is much better than the original Samsung unit, I had the loss of color problem sometimes more than once a day, I am keeping my fingers crossed
Old 02-19-2004, 04:11 PM   #72 (Print)
Directv&TivoGuy
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to Directv&TivoGuy Send a message via Yahoo to Directv&TivoGuy
seems like this is a widespread problem. I thought it was just my Samsung 4120R. We have 2 other 4120r's and none of them do it. I think its just the pick of the litter. Oh well - not too big of a deal.

Directv&TivoGuy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-26-2004, 01:32 PM   #73 (Print)
SteakMan

Just saw it for the first time on my 6 or 7 month old (or is it older?) HDVR2.
I can confirm that it wasn't the software update because it hasn't made a daily call in 119 days.
-SteakMan-

Old 02-26-2004, 02:10 PM   #74 (Print)
XMnut
I am without title

This happened again last night after changing channels very rapidly. It stayed black and white for at least 15 minutes until I switched to the other tuner, and it went away.

URC-6131 Universal Remote
XM Sat Radio-This kix ass
Old 02-26-2004, 04:05 PM   #75 (Print)
jrvtecaccord
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m3coolpix

....if I flip channels real fast, as in not waiting on the video to show up on the TV (only looking at the info), the info bar will start doing this (changing colors, mottling colors to b&w). If I continue to flip quickly as this starts to occur, eventually when stopping on a channel, it will be all b&w. Sometimes, it will only have the top and bottom halves of the screen be b&w, while the middle section will be a 'see through rainbow'. If I slow the channel flipping while this is happening, it sometimes corrects itself

Same here with all three of my HDVR2, from the oldest of about 1 year 2 mths, to the newest of 1 month. It happens to me atleast once a day, but I've just learned to live with it, can't get rid of my HDVR2's, are you crazy
jrvtecaccord is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-26-2004, 05:05 PM   #76 (Print)
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Well count me in for rainbow and B&W effects.

Brand new RCA receiver and I just switched from Dish.
I wasn't sure if this was a TiVo or a DirectTV issue and was hoping to try to catch a program that did it on a stand alone with a stand alone DirectTV receiver.

Guess I won't worry about that anymore...
MighTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-27-2004, 01:41 PM   #77 (Print)
Lunker

I used to have the color problem with my Sony SATB50 receiver. Whenever I called customer service they told me to check the S-video cable. I never did. Heck, I'm a grown man, I can plug a cable in. Besides, the drop-out wasn't on all channels and it just didn't seem to fit a cable problem.

Well, I finally got sick of it and checked all of the connections. It stopped. As quickly as it appeared, it was gone. 3 years without seeing it even a little bit.

Last week it started up again with my Samsung s4040r. I unplugged everything and started from scratch. The problem is, once again, gone.

Check those cables. If it doesn't stop, buy another S-video cable. I bought a lot of 10 (5- 6' and 5 - 12') on ebay for $15.00 including shipping.

I have never (knock on wood) had audio drop-out.
Lunker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-27-2004, 02:25 PM   #78 (Print)
dr6583

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunker
I used to have the color problem with my Sony SATB50 receiver. Whenever I called customer service they told me to check the S-video cable. I never did. Heck, I'm a grown man, I can plug a cable in.

Well, I *am* a grown man in the sense that I *do* know how to troubleshoot a problem to the major component, and let me tell you the the general problem being discussed in this thread is definitely in the DirecTiVo. I suppose you think the many people who are experiencing the problem all have an obscure cable problem that for some reason causes color to intermittently drop out? Strange that in my case, at least, these are the exact same cables that functioned perfectly fine with my prior DVR.

Please recognize a consensus when you see one. It's not the cable, unless yours is a completely different issue. ...and no, I have not been instructed to check the cables by tech support, since I was quite able to do that out myself before I even *called* tech support. Actually, since I made it clear that I wasn't a complete idiot, I had no trouble at all getting my call forwarded immediately to 3rd level support, which immediately sent me a replacement unit instead of giving me the runaround asking me to check cable and what not.

It's a known issue. Whether the issue has been resolved in all curreetly shipping units, I don't know, but I doubt it. It is visualy evident to me, at least, by the nature of the problem, that it is the result of some faulty hardware component that processes the video output.
dr6583 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-27-2004, 02:29 PM   #79 (Print)
XMnut
I am without title

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunker
I used to have the color problem with my Sony SATB50 receiver. Whenever I called customer service they told me to check the S-video cable. I never did. Heck, I'm a grown man, I can plug a cable in. Besides, the drop-out wasn't on all channels and it just didn't seem to fit a cable problem.

Well, I finally got sick of it and checked all of the connections. It stopped. As quickly as it appeared, it was gone. 3 years without seeing it even a little bit.

Last week it started up again with my Samsung s4040r. I unplugged everything and started from scratch. The problem is, once again, gone.

Check those cables. If it doesn't stop, buy another S-video cable. I bought a lot of 10 (5- 6' and 5 - 12') on ebay for $15.00 including shipping.

I have never (knock on wood) had audio drop-out.

I have this problem on all 4 tvs this one Directivo is connected to....one with SVID the other 3 through the RF terminals. I do not believe this is the same issue you have.

URC-6131 Universal Remote
XM Sat Radio-This kix ass
Old 03-02-2004, 11:00 AM   #80 (Print)
Lunker

Arrow

It's a known issue. Whether the issue has been resolved in all curreetly shipping units, I don't know, but I doubt it. It is visualy evident to me, at least, by the nature of the problem, that it is the result of some faulty hardware component that processes the video output.

Listen, I was just posting to try to help, there is no need to be a condescending jerk. Your ability to get to the third level of support is wonderful hurray.

I had the problem two weeks ago. It was EXACTLY the same as the problem when I initally saw it with my SATB50. Color would drop out, sometimes slowly fade out. Sometimes, the color would flash across the screen other times it would ripple across in a rainbow pattern.

I rechecked all connections. It stopped. I have not seen it even briefly since. I guess you've already done all of this and, there is no way it could be any of your cables. The lines from your dish are 100% secure. Right, you checked? The lines to and from the switch are all tight as can be? The coax is all spliced well and the installation guy did a great job? No loose connections.

I'm gonna go watch my Samsung s4040r with it's perfect color and steady picture. Hope you figure out what the problem is. Sorry about your luck.

Last edited by Lunker : 03-02-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:03 AM   #81 (Print)
Groucho

For what it's worth, I had this problem from time to time, but I haven't seen it since upgrading to 3.1.1c.
Groucho is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-02-2004, 04:23 PM   #82 (Print)
Twinstar

Bad S-Vidio Cable

I had this same problem. I replaced the S-Vidio cable and disconnected the composite cables and haven't had the problem again.
Twinstar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-03-2004, 10:33 PM   #83 (Print)
schell

I had this same problem as well, sometimes more than once a day, had a new unit shipped out, different manufacture but looks very similar, used all the same cables, I just swapped the receiver, not any cables, problem it gone.So could it be a cable problem, I do not think so
Old 03-04-2004, 10:52 AM   #84 (Print)
Lunker

I'm not saying the cables have to be bad. (The could be.) It could just be a bad connection somewhere. That's what it was in my case. Three weeks now without so much as a little flash of black and white.

It's the cables. (Or maybe, more accurately, the connections.)
Old 03-04-2004, 12:23 PM   #85 (Print)
island1

Well I've had my Hughes SDR 40 for 2 wks now and have had the afformentioned problems both live and recorded. Called DTV explained same. was given TIVO 800 #. I must note you at least ALWAYS get a HUMAN at DTV and this person stated it (the B & W issue) has to do with the TIVO software update and as soon as I receive the 3.1.1c. it will correct it. As I type this I am on hold of course with TIVO customer service. Well good ole Tom couldn't help me but gave me the 1-505-348-2800 Tech # so like a fool I call and the wait times are 25 minutes on the customers nickel, so a lot of wasted time with no answers (except from DTV) and a problem that I get to pay for monthly Seems fair!
island1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-08-2004, 01:55 PM   #86 (Print)
egkor

Happens with my Phillips DSR704R

I have a Gen 2 Phillips DSR704R (the $99 deal) DVR. The Black and White issue happens with it as well.

Sometimes the pictures just flickers from color to B&W to color, then goes away for a while.

I have had it once get "stuck" in B&W mode. Nothing I did would get color back. I performed a menu-commanded restart (reboot), and during the reboot, the screen returned to color.

I have this DVR connected via S-Video cable directly to the back of a Sony 53" rear projector, and via composite cable to a VHS VCR. When I looked at both signal paths, the picture was in B&W, so I knew in my case it was *not* a cabling issue.

I'm going to monitor it more closely now, if it persists I'm going to call it in to DIRECTV.

-egkor (Gary K)
egkor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-08-2004, 02:13 PM   #87 (Print)
bielen

The color change happened to me a few times over the past few weeks on my SD-DVR40. It doesn't seem to be signal related. It has happened on both recorded and live programs as well as during the menus.
bielen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-08-2004, 02:16 PM   #88 (Print)
allan
Resident modern nut

I had it go BW once. At first I wondered if the broadcast was BW, but the other tuner was BW too, and so was Tivo Central. It turned back to color just as quickly and mysteriously.

BEEP
allan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-08-2004, 02:57 PM   #89 (Print)
Melissa
Go Pitt!

Chiming in... one of my DTiVo's just started doing this over the weekend. Rainbowy then B&W. hit pause for a second and goes back to normal. This is the DTivo that won't AR an ARWL, runs slow, drops audio..... I'm thinking I should just try to return this one! It's severly retarded. UGH!
-M
Melissa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #90 (Print)
Lunker

If you're witnessing the problem on two sets from the same Tivo box, have you thought to check the lines from your dish to the switch? From the switch to the TV? Make sure they're all good and tight.

Meanwhile, I've had another week with a 100% aberration free picture.