TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2004, 11:34 AM   #121 (Print)
peaches30540

I've not found this problem in the other forums - it seems to be DirecTV TiVo specific....and if it started at the same time on both DTiVo's of tmcabee's and we're all in the Atlanta area.....

I was under the impression that the download from the satellite didn't download anything but the program guides and since I don't update via the telephone at all, it MUST be something coming from the satellite.

Odd. Very odd.
peaches30540 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2004, 03:15 PM   #122 (Print)
XMnut
I am without title

Send a message via Yahoo to XMnut
Quote:
Originally posted by tmcabee

The only thing the 2 DTivos have in common (besides being Tivos) is that they both have S-video cables connected, whereas the regular receiver just uses coax.

I'm not sure what to try next. Perhaps my multi-switch? But that shouldn't affect programs recorded to the hard-drive should it? Cables seems like a likely culprit, but two different s-video cables at the exact same moment? Both DTivo's are still running version "b", so I don't think I can blame software. I didn't notice the problem again after about 10pm EST last night...will check again tonight and see if it happens again. Anybody got a theory?

For some of us that have been experiencing this for months, the general consensus is that it is not related to how it is connected to your tv....be it s-vid. rf etc. It is not happening on my two reg receivers, just the DirecTivo. I have my one DirecTivo connected to 3 different tvs, one s-vid, and the other 2 thru the rf, and have seen it with both version B and C software, and it happens on both recorded and live tv. This continues to be a mystery

URC-6131 Universal Remote
XM Sat Radio-This kix ass
XMnut is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2004, 05:09 PM   #123 (Print)
tkrandall

I have a 7 month old HDVR2, just got the "c" software update sometime last week. Live in the Atlatna area, too.

Yesterday morning for the first time while watching live TV, the unit lost color intermittently. I checked a recorded show - same problem. Decided I should re-boot the unit, and it has been fine so far the past 2 days.

I wonder what the problem is?

Ironically, yesterday I also had a 3rd room installation added to my account, with a brand new DVR40!
tkrandall is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2004, 10:03 PM   #124 (Print)
yunlin12
Tivoluted User

Send a message via AIM to yunlin12 Send a message via Yahoo to yunlin12
Quote:
Originally posted by tmcabee
Boy, glad I saw this thread.

We live in Atlanta, GA and have experienced this issue for the past few nights (March 29-30). The show we were watching (from the Now Playing List, recorded the night before) started losing color periodically. I would pause it, fool around with the TV controls and it would come back. At first, I thought it was my 8-yr old big screen TV going out. The wife was sure doing a "happy dance" about that one since she wants one of the new flat-screens.

But I saw this thread yesterday and decided to do more investigating. When we were watching Live TV last night, it happened again. I ran upstairs where I have another DTivo and it was doing the same thing. After a few minutes, the color came back (about the same time my wife yelled that the one downstairs was fixed as well). About 10-15 minutes later, it happened again on both DTivos, so I went to my office and turned on the regular DTV receiver (non-Tivo)....no problems with that one.

Then, I tried playing something that I recorded months ago on the downstairs DTivo...after 10-15 minutes it faded to B&W. I went upstairs and the other DTivo (Live TV) was also B&W (regular receiver was fine). Wife was still downstairs and she yelled that the color had come back. I checked the DTivo upstairs and it was still B&W, but color came back in about 30 seconds after downstairs did. Very strange.

The only thing the 2 DTivos have in common (besides being Tivos) is that they both have S-video cables connected, whereas the regular receiver just uses coax.

I'm not sure what to try next. Perhaps my multi-switch? But that shouldn't affect programs recorded to the hard-drive should it? Cables seems like a likely culprit, but two different s-video cables at the exact same moment? Both DTivo's are still running version "b", so I don't think I can blame software. I didn't notice the problem again after about 10pm EST last night...will check again tonight and see if it happens again. Anybody got a theory?

Maybe it's related to the date variable which DTivo uses to keep track of which day it is on, compare with guide data and calculates how many more days of guide data you have. When the date variable gets too large, it causes some kind of memory over flow, and affects adjacent values in the memory, causing other problems. How each variables are located in the memory may not be completely deterministic, but may have some regular pattern. A geographical pattern may be related to memory needed to store locale info like dial in #'s, satellite alignment settings, etc. So maybe Atlanta just got hit by a bad co-incidence.

[conspiracy mode] Or maybe because Rupert had some secret grudge against Atlanta, maybe didn't like Ted Turner, and sent a secret software patch to cause this. [/conspiracy mode]

Old 03-31-2004, 10:08 PM   #125 (Print)
RyadK

Another "me too" with a 2 week old Philips DSR704, "b" software. Has anybody tried to contact a manufacturer (Philps, RCA, etc.)?

Sony SAT B65
RyadK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-01-2004, 09:01 AM   #126 (Print)
peaches30540

So far, so good - haven't seemed to have had the problem in approx 24 hours....keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:08 AM   #127 (Print)
tmcabee

Send a message via Yahoo to tmcabee
Same here...no problems last night (although I only watched for a few hours). BTW, I've got Hughes HDVR2's....purchased in October 2003.
tmcabee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-01-2004, 12:41 PM   #128 (Print)
mweathers

No problems last night....Hope this has gone away. I'll post again if it comes back...
mweathers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-02-2004, 06:50 PM   #129 (Print)
rogwei

Just chiming in here. I'm on my second Tivo manufactured series 2, 40 hour unit (standalone box). The first one was having the color problem nightly and I took it back for an exchange at the retailer. The second one is doing the same thing again. I haven't tried the channel changing or pausing tricks yet, so I'll be interested to see if I can get it to go away. I don't use tivo to watch live tv, because I use an hd front projector on a wall plus surround sound, and the loss of video and audio quality is noticeable. I'm sure as h-e-double-toothpicks not going to reboot every time it happens. I don't have any magic bullet workarounds.
rogwei is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-02-2004, 07:23 PM   #130 (Print)
mph_aus2000

loosing color

Got a 2 week old RCA DVR 40.

When I am changing channels up or down, I occasionally loose all color.

Even on the menu's, all B&W. The color will return if I stop on a channel for a few (~10) seconds.

This only seems to happen when I am just clicking down through the channels, and I get to channel 276 (National Geographic Channel). Doesn't happen on the same channel every time though, but it appears to be isolated to the 270-276 channel range. I am wondering if the little icons for the channel are screwing up something, the NGC's logo is a big orange square.

peace
mph_aus2000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-02-2004, 10:31 PM   #131 (Print)
MakingNews

We saw this problem for the first time yesterday after owning our DVR2 for about 6 months. We are connected via AV cables -- not S-Video.
MakingNews is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-03-2004, 09:07 AM   #132 (Print)
spanozzo

Send a message via AIM to spanozzo
Ditto.. I have a houghes SD-40. Same thing.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:14 PM   #133 (Print)
Doc Doe

... and yet another ...

I've read this thread eagerly. For the past few days, I thought I needed to buy a new TV. I was sure it was the TV because I have two Hughes SD-DVR40 receivers and only one does this.

The one that is having the B/W problem is hooked up to a Panasonic television via s-video cable. It's satellite input passes through a multi-switch. The other one is hooked up to an older Panasonic tv that doesn't have s-video input, and the sat signal comes directly from it's dish. Earlier, someone suggested this may be a signal strength issue. I may try to boost the signal to the problem receiver and see if that helps. I'm not real optimistic, though, since the consensus seems to be that it's a hardware issue.

I was really surprised to see how many are having this problem. And I'd bet that there are several out there for each one of us that have posted.

It'd be nice to think that Directv and Tivo would get together and find out what the problem is, and do the right thing by us. After all, we've done all right by them. But, then, it'd be nice to think that there'd be world peace, too. Let's not hold our breath.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:09 PM   #134 (Print)
peaches30540

The problem still has not happened again to me. It must be some sort of programming error through the dish as I have done nothing to the system - either before, during or after the problem.

I'm just glad it stopped
Old 04-11-2004, 04:57 PM   #135 (Print)
Jim Badger

I finally decided to replace my 7 year old Toshiba receiver and get a Directv/Tivo unit. I just purchased my first Directv/Tivo unit yesterday, the Philips DSR704. I too have the flickering colors and the B&W issue. So far, it's been happening just while channel surfing. I'm sending S-video (about 15 feet of cable length) to a Sony 53" RPTV and sending RF to two TVs upstairs, a 27" Toshiba and a 19" Magnavox. It happens on all TVs. I also tried sending composite-video to my Sony 53" and the problem still happens. Software version for my unit is 3.1.1b. I'm using the existing dish from the old Toshiba system, which is just a single LNB. Cable length from the dish to the receiver is about 60 feet. Signal strength is very good, averages about 90.
Jim Badger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-16-2004, 04:15 PM   #136 (Print)
tarmbrecht

This happened to both of my Tivo HDVR2s. I know that it is not the TV because the volume is colored and that still showed in color. I also know it is not the network because the play bar is black and white
tarmbrecht is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-22-2004, 06:32 PM   #137 (Print)
DBarber600

I'm having a problem with this as well. I have two directivos and I'm having problems with only one. I have tried to restart three times and it hasn't helped. It's very frustrating. I don't know what to do next....
DBarber600 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-22-2004, 07:24 PM   #138 (Print)
fomoco

color prob here too

I too have the color fade problem, except mine never fades to black and white or grayscale, but the color intensity/contrast/brightness does flucuate noticably.

I have a Phillips DirecTivo (963?) 40 hr. It is only a few months old. It is connected via an s-video connection to a stereo AV receiver.

It has done this from day one and it is very annoying!
fomoco is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-23-2004, 08:49 AM   #139 (Print)
island1

OK-- We now know that we all have the EXACT same problem.

Uh, is TIVO or Direct TV gonna step up to the plate or is the problem forever going to be with our S-Video wire?
Stupid S-Video wire mfg's.

Hello, operator I think I've (we've) been cut.......

Last edited by island1 : 04-23-2004 at 12:12 PM.
island1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-23-2004, 09:01 AM   #140 (Print)
tmcabee

Send a message via Yahoo to tmcabee
I only had this problem for a few days in late March...haven't had ANY issues since.

Weird, but as long as it's working.......
tmcabee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-23-2004, 10:40 AM   #141 (Print)
Directvlover
Go Huskers!

I have the same problem....i'm not using the S-Video. Just the rca jack.
Directvlover is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-23-2004, 11:11 AM   #142 (Print)
wes000

Thumbs down

Same problem here in New York. I have had my Directivo for only 2.5 weeks now. Got it directly through D* for a promotion. I first started noticing this problem last week. Started out in the channel labels turning b&w, then the entire picture. Problem restores itself. Im not going to bother a reboot because from what I have read here on the last 8 pages that it makes no difference. My tivo downloaded software version C the first week i had it so theres definately no solution to this w/ the C version. I am going to call D* after this so they can at least log my problem if they ever come up w/ a solution. A new tivo would be nice!!! I guess I will just go w/ the flow.....for now...Running a Samsung 40DVR to a 51" Sony w/ S-Video.
wes000 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-03-2004, 10:04 AM   #143 (Print)
Directvlover
Go Huskers!

Was a solution to this problem ever found?
Directvlover is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-03-2004, 10:07 AM   #144 (Print)
jasch

I noticed definitive loss of colors while surfing through the sports channels (600 - 650). It might related to the fact that I don't have these channels in my programming, so I get ext. 721 on most of them (I only get about 4). I noticed channel surfing on other ranges has no effect.

Also the problem might be related to the unit switching the LNB's voltage (between odd and even transponders).
jasch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2004, 03:21 PM   #145 (Print)
cbordman
PP-ASEL

Send a message via AIM to cbordman
happening more frequently here.

Old 05-10-2004, 04:42 PM   #146 (Print)
waruwaru
Ultrasensitive

The only time I see this happen is when a HDVR2 is doing too much work (recording 2 channels, searching through database via *cough*TivoWeb*cough*, "network activities"). When this happen, even the green bar at the bottom will lose color. If I just pause, let Tivo rest a little bit, or just rewind to the place where colors are still available, then all the colors will come back.
waruwaru is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-12-2004, 12:32 PM   #147 (Print)
Tkilmer

Well this will serve as a bump.

I have seen this problem recently, twice in the last month or so. Glad I saw this thread because I was wondering if my Toshiba RPTV was starting to go bad now that the extended warranty is up. I would not want to have to replace my HDTV.

I am glad it is a DTivo problem, hopefully it won't get worse.
Tkilmer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2004, 11:56 AM   #148 (Print)
jessemac

I have had this problem as well. I have 2 direct tv receivers and one is a hughes dtivo and the other a hughes standard. The only unit that does this is the DTIVO, live and recorded shows. I tried all the same things mentioned in this string and nothing worked. Changing channels or just waiting it out was the only solution.This problem was happening every day for a while and now it's been maybe a month without one incident. The only thing that happened that may have fixed this was a hot reboot done by the system when searching the guide . I got the guide can't be found error message, then the system went to the new set page and forced me to set up service like a new user.
jessemac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2004, 03:46 PM   #149 (Print)
R7MR7M

Prob a coincidence

Quote:
Originally posted by ctrl-brk
thought i would chime in here, i've got a phillips dsr7000, purchased and installed at the end of december 2003 and use the s-video and optical digital to my receiver. TV is a Toshiba 61" rear projection.

i've seen this problem occur just once now and the first thing I did was turn off/on the TV, which seemed to solve it for me.

I have had a DSR 7000 since 8/2003. The fact that it was fine by the time you turned the TV set back on is probably just a coincidence. The pattern of the change to the B&W and back to Color is the same every time it happens to me. I usually just hit the list button or change channels and it goes away. If I donít hit anything, it corrects itself in a few seconds. I have had these issues since I first got it. It was more frequent a few months back. But now it happens once a month or so. I just wanted to wait for the seasons to end before I take it back to BestBuy. Glad I got the extended warranty. Then they will take it for over a week and find nothing wrong with it. I wish it were a replacement plan instead of the warranty.

I tried switching to composite from S-Video during the loss of color after swapping my S-Video cable with another. Neither made any difference at all.
R7MR7M is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-30-2004, 05:04 PM   #150 (Print)
NailStorm

just happened to me too, had to reboot it. everything was in B&W including the menus.
NailStorm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post