THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2004, 09:00 PM   #151 (Print)
jasch

Re: Prob a coincidence

Quote:
Originally posted by R7MR7M
I just wanted to wait for the seasons to end before I take it back to BestBuy. Glad I got the extended warranty. Then they will take it for over a week and find nothing wrong with it. I wish it were a replacement plan instead of the warranty.

I don't think the warranty will do you much good... it seems to be a problem with all the same units... At least I have 3 RID RCA DVR40 units, they all three exibit the same simptoms...

Perhaps it an issue that will be fixed with the next update, perhaps it's a hardware fault. Not sure, but what I find it hard to believe, is that TiVo has not made any comments about it, since it seems to be a common problems amongs all new units
jasch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-30-2004, 10:35 PM   #152 (Print)
SubMan337

Running a Samsung 4120R - about 5 months now. Dropping color to B&W/rainbow colors were frequent occurrences during the first two months or so during playback or live views. Sometimes as long as 5+ minutes before correcting itself. Nothing I did seemed to make the problem disappear - or reappear, for that matter.

However, it seems as though the problem happens less frequently over the past 4-5 weeks. New software?? Nothing has changed hardware-wise, i.e. no new cables, no reboots, nothing.

Heck, maybe it has something to do with the height of the tide, or the phase of the moon - it's a mystery to me.

I love my Samsung and certainly would hate to switch it out for a unit that has a worse problem!
SubMan337 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-31-2004, 03:06 PM   #153 (Print)
SteakMan

My HDVR2 did it once in February, and then never again. No changes made.
-SteakMan-

Old 06-04-2004, 08:49 PM   #154 (Print)
mtnagel

TTT - mine too. It's a Hughes model.
mtnagel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-05-2004, 03:03 PM   #155 (Print)
vandeneykel

Yet another me too. I've seen this on both my new (4 months) Hughes SD-DVR40 as well as a previous stand-alone TiVo series 2 that I returned because of this problem. The second unit that I had for 3 months before selling did not exhibit this problem.
vandeneykel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2004, 06:03 PM   #156 (Print)
Cabrill
Just Hanging Out

Send a message via ICQ to Cabrill Send a message via AIM to Cabrill Send a message via Yahoo to Cabrill
Samsung 4040, upgraded with a 120GB HD: Just happened to me last night while I was watching Dead Like Me. It looked sort of like a waterfall of color, like the lines were displayig the colors for other lines, but still proper colors(very weird, almost like the chroma got scrambled as to where it was supposed to be but was still actually intact) then after a couple of seconds like this it sort of washed away. From the top to the bottom the color just drained like water leaking out of a hole at the bottom of a bucket, but extremely fast(in the span of 3 seconds). After that it was just sort of a snowy B&W. I thought maybe it was a problem with interference with the dish when it was recorded, but my wife said it happened to her earlier while watching Live TV via TiVo. So I hit the back button, color returned instantly but when it got to the same point where it went funky last time it didn't do anything and we continued to watch the show without incident.

I then came here, read about the obvious of S-Video and decided to double check every connection. Took each end of the S-Video out and used some compressed air on it and the input, then plugged the cables back in. I'll keep an eye out and see if it happens again, but with as weird as it was and as solid as the cables were connected I honestly don't think it was the cables.
Cabrill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2004, 11:36 PM   #157 (Print)
spartanstew

Just saw this thread. I experienced this once last week. It's the only time I've seen it happen on any of my units. I think it happened on my Hughes unit, but I'm not positive. It only lasted about 20 seconds and I haven't seen it since.

Stew

The Royal Stewart Theater
spartanstew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-04-2004, 12:03 AM   #158 (Print)
Apok

My RCA DVR 40 has started having this problem recently, and the other day durring a recording, it rebooted by itself but we didn't have a loss of power as my Hughes was still running fine.

Google is your friend. Learn to use it wisely.
Apok is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-04-2004, 01:06 AM   #159 (Print)
Canyoudothefredy
Mrs. Tivo

ME 2

I found this form last week and finally had the chance to reply to it tonight.

I have had a problem with my Samsung SIR-S4120R, software version 3.1.1C
The major problem that i am experiencing is that when ever i am watching a recorded program that is in my NPL i have this wired "rainbow effect" on my TV. I guess that you would call it a loss of color but the picture is not totally black and white, it's just this real wired picture consisting of extremely bright colors. It can usually be fixed when i press a button on the remote such as the slow motion button or entering into the NPL and scrolling thru the menu rapidly. The TV that this is all occurring on is like a 4-5year old Sony 27" TV that is hooked up thru S-Video. The RCA jacks are both being uses by my VCR. This problem also happens when i turn on my VCR to Source 1 so i can view DirecTV thru my VCR. The strange thing is that i also have another TV in the same room that is hooked up thru the RF connector on the back of the TiVo. The TV that is hooked up thru the RF is a 13" Apex TV. I did this so i can have 2 TV's hooked up to one TiVo and be able to view the same picture on both TV's. Kind of stupid, I know. So when the "Rainbow Effect" is happening with my TiVo i only see the problem thru my Sony TV. When ever the problem is happing it is only visible thru the Sony TV and not the Apex. I am starting to wonder if it is a problem with the S-Video & RCA jacks on the back on the TiVo and not occurring with the RF Jack. It is a very wired and strange thing that is happing!

Also,

About one month ago I went on vacation for about a week and when i returned back home the problem had not occurred for about 2 weeks. I have only had one problem with the "rainbow effect" since i have returned home.

Just thought you would like to know!

~JaKe~
Canyoudothefredy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-04-2004, 02:57 AM   #160 (Print)
BlueXanaX
tivo@bluexanax.net

The C software update has helped alot to fix this problem for me. I have had C on all 3 of my tivo's since may. It is rare now when this happens, and it goes away very quickly -- 5 seconds at most, nothing like it was before.
BlueXanaX is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-04-2004, 08:26 AM   #161 (Print)
JPriller
just some guy

Quote:
Originally posted by spartanstew
Just saw this thread. I experienced this once last week. It's the only time I've seen it happen on any of my units. I think it happened on my Hughes unit, but I'm not positive. It only lasted about 20 seconds and I haven't seen it since.
Ditto, exact same thing happened to me (first time seen, Hughes HDVR2, lasted about 20 seconds). No color in recorded show or in TiVo menus, color snapped back in before I could chase the problem any further. I'm using composite video from my DirecTiVo, so there's another data point for it not being an S-Video issue.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:31 PM   #162 (Print)
feathed

Add another to the list with this problem although my symptoms seem somewhat unique. I have a one week old Samsung S4040R feeding S-video to a direct view TV and component video to another direct view set sitting next to the S-video set. I saw the loss of color 3-6 times before I found this thread. I have consistently reproduced the loss of color by scrolling channels as fast as possible but NEVER simultaneously in both sets. Direct TV customer service at 800 695-9251 said he had never heard of any loss of color problems. His supervisor said no such thing had ever been report but thanked me bringing it to his attention. He said if enough people report the problem they would look into it. Please all with problems CALL!
feathed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-14-2004, 06:07 AM   #163 (Print)
mtnagel

It seemed to be happening quite a bit to me this weekend (like at least 4 or 5 times during the 2 hour movie Three Kings), but then again, I watched like 18 hours of TV a day this weekend because I was sick.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:35 AM   #164 (Print)
f0gax

Add another Samsung 4040 to the list

Old 07-18-2004, 01:20 PM   #165 (Print)
iwanTIVO

Thumbs down

Quote: Direct TV customer service at 800 695-9251 said he had never heard of any loss of color problems. His supervisor said no such thing had ever been report but thanked me bringing it to his attention.

I called with the same problem a month or two ago and was given the same bull....! "We never heard of that problem before and thanks for letting us know." I guess that means they don't listen when someone tells them something. Call tomorrow and they will say: "We never heard of that problem."

That color fade is a regular event on my DTivo and it is a pain. I guess they'll never listen.
iwanTIVO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-23-2004, 12:14 PM   #166 (Print)
MEJHarrison

I just saw it for the first time on my Hughes HDVR2 a couple nights ago. Then it happened again this morning. It's the only time I've seen it in the year I've had my box. I got B&W on the menus, recorded programs and live TV. I saw it on the composite and S-Video inputs. And my DVD Player showed color. So I guess that narrows it down to the TiVo. I did a reboot before coming in to work and hopefully that will fix it.
MEJHarrison is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-23-2004, 03:21 PM   #167 (Print)
iwanTIVO

I doubt that a reboot will help. I've tried that several times with no improvement. The color loss is so random. It goes for long periods without happening and then pops up several times within a few days. Thankfully it does not usually last more than 5 or 10 minutes. SO FAR!
Old 07-23-2004, 03:40 PM   #168 (Print)
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally posted by iwanTIVO
I doubt that a reboot will help. I've tried that several times with no improvement. The color loss is so random. It goes for long periods without happening and then pops up several times within a few days. Thankfully it does not usually last more than 5 or 10 minutes. SO FAR!
To make it go away, just press pause and then play. That has always worked for me on my Hughes box.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:01 PM   #169 (Print)
ranjo

so my question than is there a box that i can purchase today that doesn't experience the color problem?
ranjo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-27-2004, 02:03 PM   #170 (Print)
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo
so my question than is there a box that i can purchase today that doesn't experience the color problem?
It doesn't even look like there is a fix, so it's doubtful that new ones are fixed
Old 07-28-2004, 08:35 AM   #171 (Print)
iwanTIVO

Thanks, Mtnagel

That pause/play suggestion worked like a charm. I guess a quick work-around is better than the "help" we'll get from DirecTV.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:30 AM   #172 (Print)
jfvcms

Thumbs up

I too have a .....B%W .........problem with my brand new DIRECTV TIVO .I understand that the only reason for this is a bad signal as you said.Because if you try to scroll channel up and down this happen 90% of the time......so that mean to me, that the signal get loss.....and it can not handle this ,then after the signal is gain it will fix itself.Well, I going to try this and I will tell you. Thank You..............(from MR. VIVAS)

Quote:
Originally posted by suignrs
For what it's worth - I too was having the loss of color problem, intermittently. I could correct the problem by playing the programming through my DVD recorder (someone else here has mentioned this same phenomenon). When I reported the problem on this forum, a kindly soul said the problem was a weak signal (which occurs sporadically and which isn't affected when using the DVD because of a stronger amplifier in that unit) which could be corrected with an amplifier. Being the cheap guy I am, rather than going for a boosted amplifier, I placed one of those RCA line passive pre-amps right at the dish on each cable feed and then connecting them to the cables going to the house. The result has been that in the many months since I took this action, the color loss has occurred only once, and for only a few seconds. I believe the pre-amps have definitely helped in stemming the problem, and thus I believe that the signal strength is the culprit.

Like I say, for what it's worth.
jfvcms is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-30-2004, 06:43 PM   #173 (Print)
MEJHarrison

Quote:
Originally posted by iwanTIVO

It helped in my case. I had my box for nearly a year before I saw it for the first time. Then it showed up twice within a day or two. The second time I rebooted it and I've not seen it since.

Of course it's only been a week, but so far, so good.
MEJHarrison is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-31-2004, 12:17 PM   #174 (Print)
iwanTIVO

MEJ,

I usually go much longer than a week between problems with the color, so don't put too much stock in the reboot. We get frequent power losses which causes somewhat regular reboots and they have not eliminated the color woes. The earlier suggestion to pause/play works great so I'm living with that.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:34 PM   #175 (Print)
Tivo_60
Now 63 !

My 9 mo old Hughes HDVR2 has never lost color but my 3 week old Philips 704 has lost it three times now.
Pause & play does clears it right up.

Still, I wonder, w/174 posts (some multiples by the same poster) and over 11K views, is the problem really that universal. (only 1.6% of the viewers actually reported a problem.)
It really must be luck of the draw, based on that percentage, in spite of some posters having the problem continue on replacement units.
Also, I would be interested to know if the earlier posters ( around March) are still having the problem or has it now gone away completely f/them and they're just not reporting back.

Last edited by Tivo_60 : 08-02-2004 at 10:25 PM.
Tivo_60 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-03-2004, 10:01 AM   #176 (Print)
XMnut
I am without title

Send a message via Yahoo to XMnut
I posted several months ago about my loss of color on my Philips DSR7000. It would only lose color when I changed channels quickly. Well, my hardrive took a dump and I replaced it with one of Weakness 120g a few weeks ago and I am happy to report that I have not had any loss of color so far.
I actually "tried" to make it happen by changing channels as fast as possible. Coincidence....I dont know.

URC-6131 Universal Remote
XM Sat Radio-This kix ass
XMnut is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-04-2004, 07:52 PM   #177 (Print)
borg256

Add me to the list, 8 day old rca dvr40, loses color to black and white one of the tuners everytime I change the channel, if I swap to the other tuner it dosent do it. They need to recall these things. I called direct tv and they have never heard of the problem.. They are fed ex me a replacment. but im not sure it will fix it. My sisters phillips model she has just got at her house is fine, no black and white problems..
borg256 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2004, 03:08 PM   #178 (Print)
Tivo_60
Now 63 !

Quote:
Originally posted by Tivo_60
My 9 mo old Hughes HDVR2 has never lost color but my 3 week old Philips 704 has lost it three times now.

Update: started losing color 3-4 times a night. I was just under thr 30 day return deadline, so I decided to replace it.
The new one does it right out of the box. About every 5th channel when scrolling. The banner is b&w and sometimes clears up before the picture comes on and other times the picture is b&w as well, just f/a few seconds.
It will probably continue to deterioate and I'll try 1 more replacement in a few weeks. BTW 90+ signal strength on all transponders
If the 3rd unit does it I'm taking it back f/a refund and going back to my old RCA receiver.
This is just plain rediculous.

(just a thought-the Philips is in the bedroom, about 50' of cable (rg6) from my powered multi sw. Could this be some sort of delay thing as the sw switches btwn transponders ? The Hughes is only 10' from the sw)

Last edited by Tivo_60 : 08-06-2004 at 04:36 PM.
Tivo_60 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-07-2004, 08:15 AM   #179 (Print)
LeggoMyTiVo

Quote:
Originally posted by Tivo_60

Also, I would be interested to know if the earlier posters ( around March) are still having the problem or has it now gone away completely f/them and they're just not reporting back.

I wasn't a member back in March and thusly didn't report it, but I have had the problem intermittently since getting a Phillips in December (Thanks, Santa!). It just happened about a week ago, but it had been at least three months before that since there were any problems.
LeggoMyTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #180 (Print)
SeanATL

Add me to the list of people with problems. I have had color drop off and total loss of signal with my new Samsung unit. The picture comes back after a few seconds. BTW im in ATL too. Hmmm.
SeanATL is offline Report Bad Post Report Post