Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2004, 10:12 PM   #31 (Print)
scottjf8
My baby's daddy

Seems like disembodied voice is gone - they use his voices for some of the same parts, but he's clearly not there anymore..

booo!

Am I ever going to update my sig?
scottjf8 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-23-2004, 09:45 AM   #32 (Print)
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Losing disembodied voice is not cool. Losing Max I could deal with. But disembodied voice? I think it's time to let ESPN know how we feel!

Old 03-23-2004, 09:48 AM   #33 (Print)
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Check out this bad website ESPN did for the site athttp://espn.go.com/eoe/around_the_horn.html. They updated as they list Reali as the host, but the panelists are pretty off... Missing a few.

Edit to add: Go to http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html to enter your comments to ESPN TV.

Edit to fix links.

Last edited by Frylock : 03-23-2004 at 02:06 PM.
Frylock is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-23-2004, 09:53 AM   #34 (Print)
scottjf8
My baby's daddy

2 interesting thoughts:

Quote:
Around the Horn, currently moderated by ESPN's Tony Reali

Currently? Find that word interesting...

Also no mention of Bill Plaschke on there, and he's on the show nearly EVERY day..

Old 04-01-2004, 07:35 PM   #35 (Print)
scottjf8
My baby's daddy

Looks like nobody will be coming round

The hooooooooooooooorn

Or is it?

Mariotti said tonight that the show will be no more, and thanked everyone...

Of course, it could be an april fools joke...

Old 04-02-2004, 10:11 AM   #36 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally posted by scottjf8

Of course, it could be an april fools joke...
Which is what I wonder. Reali said in the opening that the show wouldn't play an April Fool's Joke. Was that a set up? It's still listed in my "To Do" list for 10 days or so.

I still watch and enjoy this show. I think Reali has improved as the moderator. I miss Max, but it used to p*ss me off that he'd give Plashke(sp?) points for his salute. A hand gesture gets you points?!!! I know it's not the equal of PTI, but I like using it as a warm up.

Edit: Yeah, Aprils Fool's Joke afterall. Pretty good one. I think Tim C. deserved points for his comment about Ashton Kutcher winning an Emmy during the "Punk'd" topic, so funny. C'mon Reali, a funny response should earn points just like a clever one.

TCD540040 w/Lifetime, networked, upgraded to 182hrs. @ Basic

"What a fun, sexy time for you!"- George-Michael Bluth, "Arrested Development"

Last edited by bidger : 04-02-2004 at 10:10 PM.
bidger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-10-2004, 06:43 PM   #37 (Print)
scottjf8
My baby's daddy

Well it looks like Kellerman has turned up - he's starting a show this month on Fox Sports Net ( there was a HUGE ad at Comerica Park the other day for opening day)

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2157514

Quote:
MAX KELLERMAN BRINGS HIS DYNAMIC POINT OF VIEW TO FOX SPORTS NET
Thursday, Feb. 19, 2004

Max Kellerman, the opinionated, Emmy-nominated broadcaster and boxing analyst is bringing his talents to Fox Sports Net.

Critics have hailed Kellerman as "a veritable voice of reason," "young, brash, outspoken" and "irrepressible." He will bring all of those traits to his new job as host of a daily 30-minute talk and interview show that will be a cross between The O'Reilly Factor and The Daily Show. The show is being developed for a mid-April launch.

The show will be the first FSN program to completely originate from New York City. The 30-year old New York native, who was born in the Bronx, now resides in Manhattan.

"Max is one of the brightest young talents on the sports horizon. His ability to engage the viewer and challenge the people he interviews is perhaps his finest trait. The show will be built for Max like a custom made car, displaying all of Max's diverse television skills," said George Greenberg, Executive Vice President of Programming, Production, FSN.

Kellerman, who started his boxing career hosting "Max on Boxing" as a high school sophomore, will return to his roots and utilize his encyclopedic boxing knowledge for FSN's boxing coverage. In addition to his new show, he will also be a contributor on BEST DAMN SPORTS SHOW PERIOD and other FSN programs.

Kellerman joins Fox Sports Net from ESPN, where he was most recently the host of "Around the Horn." Prior to that, he was a studio analyst for "Friday Night Fights" on ESPN 2.

"I've been very fortunate to have had tremendous opportunities in the past. Now, I have a new opportunity and privilege to work for innovators like Bob Thompson and George Greenberg in the house David Hill built," said Kellerman. "I always dreamed of playing third base for the Yankees, but they chose to go in another direction. So, for me, this is the next best thing."

Old 04-11-2004, 01:00 PM   #38 (Print)
Bill N
mmmm.....plasma....

Send a message via AIM to Bill N
i guess the disembodied voice is completely gone now too. at first i was just hoping he was off for a week of vacation.

i like stat boy....i hope the show survives. but i am getting seriously tired of the mariotti-woody paige 8th-grade taunting fest, even if it is just for the cameras.
Bill N is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-12-2004, 07:50 AM   #39 (Print)
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

I do miss disembodied voice. Tony doing it just isn't the same. Why not have the person who does the voiceovers for PTI do them for Around the Horn?

Old 04-26-2004, 01:00 AM   #40 (Print)
jonblaze

it looks like woody paige has left ATH, too, to join max's new show on fox sports net.
jonblaze is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-26-2004, 08:15 AM   #41 (Print)
scottjf8
My baby's daddy

Quote:
Originally posted by jonblaze
it looks like woody paige has left ATH, too, to join max's new show on fox sports net.

And the Disembodied Voice too!

I really am looking forward to this show now.....

If only Jay Mariotti will end his streak of being on every ATH show and join Woody, it will really be awesome... (I love the banter between Paige and Mariotti)

Old 04-26-2004, 08:22 AM   #42 (Print)
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Well, before I wasn't sure about watching I, Max, but now I just may have to dump ATH and go watch it in place of it! I can't stand Mariotti because every other word out of his mouth is Machael Jeffrey Jordan. I get a little sick of it. But Woody Paige is great. With him going now, I think I am cancelling my SP to ATH this afternoon.

Edit: Anyone else wish they would put I, Max on at 5:00 EST to go up against ATH to see if it could drive it off the air?

Old 04-26-2004, 08:25 AM   #43 (Print)
scottjf8
My baby's daddy

Quote:
Originally posted by Frylock
Edit: Anyone else wish they would put I, Max on at 5:00 EST to go up against ATH to see if it could drive it off the air?

I thought the same thing.. for people with 2 tuner Directivo's, great, but most Average Joe's are going to watch Sportscenter at 6pm...

I bet they eventually move it to 5, or even 5:30 to compete with PTI

Old 04-26-2004, 10:04 AM   #44 (Print)
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

I can see it moving to 5, but 5:30 against PTI would not be a good idea. I don't think they can overtake the appeal of those 2. I love PTI!

Old 04-26-2004, 02:18 PM   #45 (Print)
jneugeba
It's a boy!!!!

Max said this morning on a local radio show here in Denver that Woddy was NOT going to be on the new show. He was trying to get someone else, who he wouldn't name - Jay Mariotti probably. We will just have to wait and see.
jneugeba is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-26-2004, 02:55 PM   #46 (Print)
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Well, I may stick with ATH if Woody stays and Mariotti goes!

Old 04-27-2004, 10:01 AM   #47 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

Well, both Jay and Woody were on last night. Like 'em or hate 'em, I have to say they're the two faces on the show. Me personally, I'd like to see Plaschke bumped. If your city doesn't have a NFL team, you shouldn't be allowed on, IMO.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:16 AM   #48 (Print)
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Plashke has become a bit unruly lately, and I actually like JA Adande. I don't miss Bob Ryan, because all he seems to do is put and act superior, when he really isn't. Michael Holley is good, and so is the randomly appearing Tim Cowlishaw and the Nascar fan (what's his name? Also from Texas, but I forget)

Old 05-03-2004, 01:16 PM   #49 (Print)
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Juat a reminder... I set up my SP for I, Max on FSS. Looks like 5/6 is the first airing. Sadly, it appears to have no guide data, so you either need to have a manual pass or watch it closely. I hope they fix it soon. It was annoying when ATH and PTI were both lacking guide data, but now it seems I can use a SP for both and it catches them both properly.

*BUMP* Show starts tonite. Just a reminder.

Last edited by Frylock : 05-06-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Frylock is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-10-2004, 04:12 PM   #50 (Print)
GoodN

Zach is so much better than Stat Boy! I hope he gets to keep the job.

Old 06-10-2004, 10:15 PM   #51 (Print)
marksman

He needs to still find his rythym. The first show he never muted anyone. He is at least getting better.

And the second show when half the people had less than 10 points at the first elimination was a bit off.

He needs to get more consistent with the scoring. Right now it is completely unclear what he is scoring on...

I think it will become better as he gets more comfortable.

As for Max, well IMax is maybe the worst show I have ever watched. It is unwatchable.

And I liked Max on Around the Horn.
marksman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-11-2004, 09:19 AM   #52 (Print)
mrcoaster
Tivomaniac

I tried to get into this show a while ago, but it just kept irritating me. I like the roundtable discussion stuff a bit more. Something more like Sports Reporters. I don't have much use for the "competition" aspects of ATH. It also has the bad luck of having PTI following it up. Watching those two shows back to back - it makes it more obvious how ATH pales.

Old 06-11-2004, 09:35 AM   #53 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally posted by GoodN
Zach is so much better than Stat Boy! I hope he gets to keep the job.
I disagree. Reali started out slow, just as Zack is right now, but he had the advantage of knowing the panelists prior to hosting and he got to where he could play on that. I would've preferred that Zack got the stat boy gig on PTI since they could play off his prior relationship w/ Kornheiser.

I don't see how being a lead in for PTI is a disadvantage for ATH. If the times were reversed, THEN it would be a disadvantage.

On a side note, does ESPN value ATH & PTI anymore? Airings have been sporadic, the shows have been preempted for poker. Sorry ESPN, poker is ESPN2 territory, IMO.

Old 06-11-2004, 09:46 AM   #54 (Print)
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

I cancelled my SP for ATH. I just got sick of it being about Woody and Mariotti bickering like 5 year olds. I still watch PTI, and I, Max is good IMHO. It's a lot more fun to watch, and has a good flow to it. They could dump the outfits for Bill Wolf, but otherwise it's pretty good.

Old 06-11-2004, 11:58 AM   #55 (Print)
thebigch

OK i'm being stupid, Zach WHO?
thebigch is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-11-2004, 02:54 PM   #56 (Print)
cheesesteak
with fried onions

I think Zach won Dream Job. I never watched it so I'm not positive. He needs some grooming tips.

Old 06-11-2004, 06:58 PM   #57 (Print)
bidger
Registered Muser

It was revealed today that Zach was only a fill in this week. Basically, he was there to promote his "Dodge Ball" show on the Game Show Network. Personally, I'm glad. I think the guy has talent and he'll do fine, but I wasn't looking for another initiation period w/ another new host.

Is ATH better than PTI? Of course not. Is there childish behaviour on the part of panelists? Sure, sometimes I'd like to see a smack down on both Marriotti and Paige. I think Reali's gotten to the point of handling them better. I enjoyed it recently when he encouraged Marriotti to flip flop on his Stanley Cup Champ choice and then took away points when Jay bit. For me, it's now part of a routine. If I didn't have a TiVo I'd probably never stop by this show. But, given the time of day it's on, that would be true for PTI as well.

Old 06-12-2004, 03:54 PM   #58 (Print)
marksman

Quote:
Originally posted by bidger
It was revealed today that Zach was only a fill in this week. Basically, he was there to promote his "Dodge Ball" show on the Game Show Network. Personally, I'm glad. I think the guy has talent and he'll do fine, but I wasn't looking for another initiation period w/ another new host.

Is ATH better than PTI? Of course not. Is there childish behaviour on the part of panelists? Sure, sometimes I'd like to see a smack down on both Marriotti and Paige. I think Reali's gotten to the point of handling them better. I enjoyed it recently when he encouraged Marriotti to flip flop on his Stanley Cup Champ choice and then took away points when Jay bit. For me, it's now part of a routine. If I didn't have a TiVo I'd probably never stop by this show. But, given the time of day it's on, that would be true for PTI as well.

Yeah.. although I am suprised by all of this.. and I still think something weird is up with stat boy.

He wasn't on ATH all week and wasn't on PTI the last two days...

Sure maybe he is on vacation, but it seemed less planned then that...

Regardless, I think Zack did alright by the end of the week.. But I am still not sure Tony will be there on monday.
marksman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-21-2004, 12:26 AM   #59 (Print)
genearch

[thread ressurect]

Sad to hear the news today about Max's brother..

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/bo...tory?id=1906149

Sam Kellerman, the brother of sports talk show host Max Kellerman, was murdered in Los Angeles on Sunday, the New York Post reported Wednesday.

The Los Angeles Police Department is searching for middleweight boxer James Butler in connection with the crime, according to the report.

"He's a strong possibility [as a suspect]," detective Elizabeth Estupinian told the Post. "We definitely want to talk to him." Estupinian told the paper that Butler, 31, and Sam Kellerman had been friends for about 10 years.

Reached by the Post on Tuesday night, Max Kellerman offered kind words about his brother.

"He was a bright light in the world," Max Kellerman said. "He was my best friend."

In November 2001, Butler, after losing a fight to Richard Grant, removed his gloves and hit Grant with what was described as a "sucker punch," according to the Post's report Wednesday. I remember watching this live.. what a shocking scene..heading to shake hands after the fight, he coldcocked grant

Shortly after the incident, Max Kellerman, then with ESPN, partially defended Butler in an online column, advising some leniency for Butler's actions.

According to the paper, Max Kellerman is taking a break from his Fox Sports Net show, "I, Max," to deal with the tragedy.

"We are allowing him to take all the time in the world he needs," a Fox Sports Net spokesman told the Post. Curt Menefee will fill in for the anchor.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:55 AM   #60 (Print)
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

I was wondering why Max was gone and there were still new shows (in the past they ran bits and pieces to make up an episode). Sad to hear his brother was murdered, especially when a prime suspect is a boxer, which clearly has close ties to Max (the boxing aspect that is).

But man was that fill-in host for Max BAD. I just deleted the episode after about 5 minutes. And where is the Disembodied voice? He needs to get back to work! It's funny how the show doesn't flow right without him.

PTI is still great (though I am sick of over/under. Play a different game now and then. More heads on sticks!) and I, Max has been pretty good. The 3 of them seem to have gotten into a good rhythem. I gave up on ATH. Just too annoying.