Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2004, 04:52 PM   #1 (Print)
davieravie

Vonage Question (don't get mad)

I have a question about using a stand alone tivo series 2 with Vonage.

Please don't get mad... I have searched the site and read a lot about it, but am still confused at to which units people are talking about and I know they are all different (Series 1, series 2, and Dtivo).

So... my question is simple:

How do I use Vonage with a Series 2, Stand Alone Tivo.
There are a lot of prefixes floating around ,#019 and ,#034 are the most popular. Are these for the Series 2 standalone or for Dtivo?

Do you put the comma in? like this: ,#01914015551212

Where 401 is the area code and 555-1212 is the phone number.
I am trying to be specific because Vonage makes me dial the 1 and the area code.

Please help... and please limit the discussion to a series 2, or be clear if you are talking about another unit.

Thanks,
Dave
davieravie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #2 (Print)
edrock200

Send a message via AIM to edrock200
DavieRavie, I don't think any will get mad. I can't answer your question about prefixes, but if you have broadband why aren't you using your broadband connection to make "daily calls?"

Old 03-29-2004, 05:42 PM   #3 (Print)
davieravie

The cable modem is not near the tivo and I didn't want to buy a wireless hub... but that is definitely what I will do if all else fails.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-29-2004, 06:05 PM   #4 (Print)
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

Yeah, either do the router/wireless route, but if you *need* to use the vonage connection, you can connect an external modem through the serial (non USB) port on your TiVo.

My iTunes registry
Fresh new geeky Mac site, iOnMac!
tomo_kun is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2004, 06:16 PM   #5 (Print)
Kanyon71

Well I found something else that works nicely Ethernet over Powerlines, I had problems using my wireless in the first story of my house where there is a machine so I bought 3 powerline adapters one near my WRT54g Wireless router, one downstairs at the machine that needed it then tossed one behind the tv (Tivo used to be on wireless) but I have PS2, Xbox, GameCube that I also wanted online easily so I tossed a mini hub in the entertainment center. Works great no problems with any of it to date and yes it has security. Hope this is of help, oh BYW I have Vonage also but I use BroadBand to connect.
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2004, 07:50 PM   #6 (Print)
aristotlewilde

To be or not to be??

Ok, I am getting conflicting reports on whether Vonage will work with DirecTivo or not and vice versa. I don't care about the PPV calls, I'll use the website for that. I just care about daily calls. I have gone 130 days without a daily call!!! I'd like to get the on-demand feature setup...
aristotlewilde is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2004, 06:53 AM   #7 (Print)
davieravie

no one can answer the original question??
Old 03-30-2004, 07:24 AM   #8 (Print)
OLdDog
Reformed Druid

No prefix will work on the series 2 (SA or DTiVo), the modem does not accept them.

However, if you have the Cisco ATA, not the Motorola, then a *99, (* needed and coma {pause} increases relialability) dialed before the phone number does help as that places the ATA(Cisco) in the fax mode. Put the *99, in the dialing prefix for any tiVo with Vonage and the Cisco ATA.

I have no problems with one of my series 1 SAs and both my DTiVos through Vonage. One of my series 1s has a bad modem so I use the turbonet card for it.

For your TiVos to work correctly over Vonage you need to:
1- Have Vonage configured for highest quality in the bandwidth saver screen on Vonage.
2 - Have a clean and stable internet connection.
3 - Have little other internet activity during the calls to TiVo. (I just let the the TiVo dial as needed but the calls when I am not surfing the internet are 50% more likely to succeed) (It does not matter if TiVo misses a few calls)
4 - Have high quality phone connections to everything.
5 - Use the *99, prefix. (Cisco ATA only)
If you have all the above set correcty then your calls with Vonage should work fine. Not 100% but 80-90% and that is just fine.

You only need the extra complexity of external modems if your internet connection, in dome way, is not real good. Dropped packets are a major problem for modem calls and some connections just drop too many.

Even my calls to DTV are just fine.

BTW: I have seen lots of problems with the Motorola ATA nad TiVos but Vonage has updated the software on it and the problems are getting better.

Old 03-30-2004, 03:40 PM   #9 (Print)
richNYC

FWIW, I could not get a single successful call to my series 2. None of the suggestions worked. My SA Series 1 works fine with Vonage (and RCA wireless modem jacks).

So, for about $60 after rebates (www.computers4sure.com) I swapped out my wired router for a wireless router and also got the Linksys WUSB11 USB-ethernet adapter. It was very easy to install and has been working great.
richNYC is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2004, 04:40 PM   #10 (Print)
dwilcomb

I've got Vonage...same problem.

I ran into the same issue. I had fully planned to go wireless, but I needed to connect via the phone line for guided setup. (Series 2 TiVo). I have the Motorola Vonage box, and modems just DO NOT WORK through it. I tried everything. It just doesn't work.

The end solution: I bought the Linksys WUSB11 wireless adapter. I took the TiVo to my friend's place to use his regular, old fashioned Verizon phone line to do guided setup. I then took my TiVo back home and set up the wireless connection. Bingo. I'll never need to use the phone line again.

Trust me...your best (and maybe only) option is to go broadband...whether wireless or hardwired. You will still need a phone line for guided setup - there's no way around that. It's my one annoyance with TiVo.
dwilcomb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2004, 04:51 PM   #11 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

These guys are right. Go ethernet--you won't regret it. On my S1 TiVo, over Vonage (after its TurboNet card died), it had at best a 20% success rate. That was "good enough". My S2, though, I just could not get to connect via Vonage. Period. Tried all the different combinations.

If you know your neighbors, maybe ask and you'll get lucky and they have a phone jack in reach of 50' or 100' of phone cord.

Old 03-30-2004, 04:52 PM   #12 (Print)
alexjohnson

Re: I've got Vonage...same problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by dwilcomb
I ran into the same issue. I had fully planned to go wireless, but I needed to connect via the phone line for guided setup. (Series 2 TiVo). I have the Motorola Vonage box, and modems just DO NOT WORK through it. I tried everything. It just doesn't work.

The end solution: I bought the Linksys WUSB11 wireless adapter. I took the TiVo to my friend's place to use his regular, old fashioned Verizon phone line to do guided setup. I then took my TiVo back home and set up the wireless connection. Bingo. I'll never need to use the phone line again.

Trust me...your best (and maybe only) option is to go broadband...whether wireless or hardwired. You will still need a phone line for guided setup - there's no way around that. It's my one annoyance with TiVo.

Yes there is. To save retyping here's the link (and this is also in the FAQ):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...672#post1646672

In summary you need a wired USB adapter, use ,#401 as a dialling prexix, pick any number you want, and make sure the box was off (unplugged) when you plugged in the USB adapter. What there is no way to do - bizarrely - is to use a wireless USB adapter.
alexjohnson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-31-2004, 04:39 PM   #13 (Print)
ccwf
国際化 Member

Send a message via AIM to ccwf
Quote:
Originally posted by OLdDog
No prefix will work on the series 2 (SA or DTiVo), the modem does not accept them.
Hmm, others have reported that the baud-lowering prefixes do indeed work with Series2 TiVo DVRs.
ccwf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-01-2004, 02:29 PM   #14 (Print)
Ava

Question Series 1 modem & VoIP

I have a Series 1 TiVO and VoIP phone service through VoicePulse now, and I don't get a dial tone on the TiVO modem. I have my VoIP adapter plugged into the house so that all my existing telephone outlets access my VoIP line. That means I had to disconnect the power at the phone box outside. (There can't be any electrical power coming over the lines or it would blow out the adpater.) Because of that, only phones that have their own power (meaning they have an AC adpater that has to be plugged in) work. The old kind of phone you could just plug in, does not work. The TiVO modem is acting like an old phone. So my question is this:

Does the TiVO modem in a Series 1 machine have its own power? Or does it draw power from the phone line?

I would have expected it to draw power from the TiVO unit itself, not the phone line, but perhaps I'm wrong. Does anyone know? Thanks. ...Ava
Ava is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-01-2004, 03:54 PM   #15 (Print)
DPF
So tired.....

possible solution (TiVo/VoIP)

Another method people have gotten to work is to use an inverted DSL filter on the line going from the Tivo modem jack to the wall jack or Voip adaptor. Initially uncovered looking to help those who want to fax over vonage. Plug the "phone" side into the wall and the "Wall" side into the tivo. This has worked for some, there's a thread on it at BBR. I'll get the thread link and come back and add it to this post.

Here it is

-DPF

"If you give a man fire he will be warm for a day
-but-
If you set that man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life"
DPF is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2004, 06:33 AM   #16 (Print)
Slider10
TiVo Minion

Send a message via AIM to Slider10
Has anyone ever thought about calling Vonage and asking them??

Old 10-08-2004, 08:45 AM   #17 (Print)
GoIU

I have been a vonage customer for about 3 months now. I've been very happy with the service and price. I did not do an setup call using vonage, but I can confirm that you will not have any problems getting the updates through Vonage.

For those of you who are interested, Vonage just started a new promotion where you get 2 months free when you are referred by a current Vonage member. I could be wrong, but I think that you can only get the two months free from a direct referal. Just contact a friend who has Vonage and they'll send you a referal.

In addition, I found that Best Buy generally has the best price, after rebate, on the required Vonage equipment.
GoIU is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-08-2004, 12:15 PM   #18 (Print)
TomP

Works fine, Last long time!
TomP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-11-2004, 09:10 PM   #19 (Print)
Slider10
TiVo Minion

Send a message via AIM to Slider10
,#019 worked great for me! Saved me a trip to a friends house. Thank you!!!! BTW, Vonage's new rates kick boo-tay.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:56 AM   #20 (Print)
winslix

Send a message via Yahoo to winslix
I started with Vonage last week, using a Series 1 TiVO, went through guided set up and a few daily calls using the dial prefix ,#034 and it worked. One shot. Phone call wise, excellent, very clear. I didnt configure voice quality or anything through the website. I am very happy that Vonage saved me form buying series 2 since I got rid of my landline.
winslix is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2004, 01:37 PM   #21 (Print)
debsawyer

I need help with Directv Tivo

I have tried all codes:

,#019 ,#034 *99 ,#134

I have also used a DSL filter backwards. I was also on the line with Vonage for almost 2 hours yesterday on my birthday. They change me to 10mn and tried so many other things. I think have tried to do my daily calls on the average of 35 call a day and nothing works. On yesterday I was able to get a new access number using *99 but after I was not able to do my daily call. Do I have to take my Tivo to my neighbors house and have it call in???????? I seriously need some help. I have looked over all the forums and I keep getting the same codes I am totally worn out and in Tivo hell!!!!!!
debsawyer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 08:37 AM   #22 (Print)
dixonbm

Send a message via AIM to dixonbm Send a message via Yahoo to dixonbm
Debsawyer, Which ATA do you have? Motorola, the new Linksys?
dixonbm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-21-2004, 12:06 PM   #23 (Print)
ManNantuck

I have been trying to read through these threads. I have just signed up for Vonage and did not consider the fact that I may have problems with my Series 1 TiVo's. I have read all sorts of things about the various codes and I would like to know which if any might work on a Series 1 Tivo:

(I have the linksys ATA if that matters.)

My understanding :

*99 - this places Vonage on alert that a data call is coming.

prefixes: #034, #019, #401. - Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Can they be combined? Can they be used with the *99? I also must dial 9 to get an outside line so should I set Tivo as follows:

,9,#034,*99 ???????
ManNantuck is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-21-2004, 01:24 PM   #24 (Print)
idlepaw

Quote:
Originally posted by ManNantuck
I have been trying to read through these threads. I have just signed up for Vonage and did not consider the fact that I may have problems with my Series 1 TiVo's. I have read all sorts of things about the various codes and I would like to know which if any might work on a Series 1 Tivo:

(I have the linksys ATA if that matters.)

My understanding :

*99 - this places Vonage on alert that a data call is coming.

prefixes: #034, #019, #401. - Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Can they be combined? Can they be used with the *99? I also must dial 9 to get an outside line so should I set Tivo as follows:

,9,#034,*99 ???????

,#034 and ,#019 both slow down the modem connection speed, so that you have a higher chance of connecting. I've read that they only work on certain software versions, so it may or may not work. Also note the placement of the comma. It goes before the # in both cases.

,#401 tells the tivo to connect through either your wired or wireless lans. However, since you have a Tivo Series 1, this won't help you unless you've installed a TurboNet card. I'm assuming you haven't, otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question.

*99 puts your ATA in data mode, which supposedly makes it work better for modems and faxes. However, I believe that this prefix is only useful for Cisco ATA's.

These prefixes can be combined. I don't know the exact order the prefixes should go, but there are only so many combinations. My guess would be that the order should be: ,#034,*99,9

Also, you should probably try multiple times with each combination, since I've heard the success rate will be less than 100%.

Final question. Why do you have to dial 9 to get an outside line? I've never heard of that for Vonage.
idlepaw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-21-2004, 03:32 PM   #25 (Print)
ManNantuck

Quote:
[.

Final question. Why do you have to dial 9 to get an outside line? I've never heard of that for Vonage. [/B]

I have a phone system in my house - I have it set up like an office - you must dial 9 for an outside line. I am hooking the Vonage box to the phone system, so TiVo will need to dial 9 to get an outside line.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:17 AM   #26 (Print)
ManNantuck

[QUOTE]Originally posted by idlepaw
[ Also note the placement of the comma. It goes before the # in both cases.[QUOTE]

Ok I finally tried this. ( I forgot about the comma before the number and I want to understand what this does)

If i have the modem type #019,9 as the prefix, the phone gives me a busy signal. Does the comma before the # mean that the modem does not try and pick up the telephone until the second comma?

Basically my problem is that dialing a # into my phone creates a busy signal - I need to place the modem into this slower mode before it dials.

Also has anyone not been able to make Vonage work with a series 1?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:11 PM   #27 (Print)
Yike
TiVo n00b

Shocked and amazed.

I was able to make the setup call with the TiVo I bought recently. I haven't been it Dallas for too long, and the only friends/family I have are all VoIP users. I tried using ,*99, during setup as the dialing prefix, and amazingly enough, it worked. Whoa.

Just thought I would share the news with other folks.

Old 11-08-2004, 10:10 AM   #28 (Print)
ManNantuck

Can i ask what model Tivo? I have tried everything with my model one and no success. Does anyone know if some model 1's do not respond to the codes?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:35 AM   #29 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

The initial sequence comma-pound is recognized by the TiVo as starting an internal command, and it takes the next three digits. This is never dialed. Otherwise, comma means "pause a couple of seconds". These comma-pound sequences are used to set modem options such as "restrict to slower speed" or "use broadband connection".

Old 11-09-2004, 08:49 AM   #30 (Print)
ManNantuck

Thanks! I tried all the codes - #019 and #034 - neither one seemed to help at all. Do all Series 1 accept these codes? Are there others I may be missing? My data runs out this Friday and I am getting concerned!