Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2004, 10:04 AM   #1 (Print)
Archangel

DirecTV HD Credit

I read so many threads....and now I can not seem to find it again....but did someone say that DirecTV would give you up to a $200 credit for upgrading to the HD/TiVo machine (HR10-250) ?? Or was that my imagination run amuck ??

Has anyone seen this...I read it somewhere...but now I can not find where ??

Called DirecTV and they know nothing about it....in fact one rep told me...that the HD TiVo model was not to come out until 2004....I did not have the heart to tell him we are in 2004 !! And it will be relaesed on April 12th...or soon thereafter.
Archangel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-05-2004, 10:18 AM   #2 (Print)
hongcho

I don't think there is any "official" credit policy. It's how long you have been with DirecTV and how well you can "negotiate" with the retention center. I've heard anywhere between $50 to $200, depending on your negotiation skills.

Hong.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:25 AM   #3 (Print)
Archangel

How do you contact this retention center department ??

Do I just call Customer Service and ask to be transferred ?? Or is there a special number or extension? Is there an email address??

What do you have to do...threaten to leave DirecTV ?....beg for money ??...what is the angle you should take ??

Did you get one ??

If DirecTV is not selling the HD/TiVo....how do get the credit ??

I suppose when you activate the new HD/TiVo they credit your bill ?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:42 AM   #4 (Print)
hongcho

> How do you contact this retention center department ??

There is a number, but I don't have it. I've heard that you can asked to be transferred. As for having some leverage, DirecTV thinks your business is somewhat valuable if you've been with them for more than two years. If you've been with them for less than that, I've heard they are not that willing.

Also, this has to do with who you talk to. So, people do suggest calling several times till you get someone who understand your "position".

> What do you have to do...threaten to leave DirecTV ?....beg for money ??...what is the angle you should take ??

I wouldn't go too aggressive. I imagine this is similar to any sales negotiation. Getting too aggressive early means the other doesn't have a way to back out.

> Did you get one ??

Not for HR10-250. I'll probably do that when I get one. However, I've contacted them and gotten a deal for the TC Premier 6-month $20/month off. It wasn't too difficult, though. I just said I've heard that others have gotten it and asked if I was able to get one and that otherwise, I couldn't upgrade from TC Plus.

> I suppose when you activate the new HD/TiVo they credit your bill ?

I've heard that's what they told those who asked for the credit. But since no one has an HR10-250, it is yet to be verified. I think it will be programming credits, not cash refunds.

Now, I need to practice a few things before my Thurday receipt of HR10-250. I am not too good at negotiation, so if more people get the credit before I do, I'll have a better chance.

Hong.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:49 AM   #5 (Print)
Archangel

Keep us informed how it turns out.

And if you find that number...that would be great.

But the bottom line....is they have to feel they will loose a good customer....before you get any credit ?

You just can not call and say...I would soooo love to have the new HD/TiVo....but can not afford the $999....can't claim poverty.

You say to call a few times....how do you end each negotiation....with an "I will think about it"....and they give you a deal number. I ask this because....what if you get a better deal on the second call....but then on the third call you get a worse deal....how do you go back to accept the second deal ?

Sorry for asking so many questions....but I rather get it right now...rather then screwing it up on the phone.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:11 AM   #6 (Print)
BillF
Old Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Archangel
How do you contact this retention center department ??

Do I just call Customer Service and ask to be transferred ?? Or is there a special number or extension? Is there an email address??

What do you have to do...threaten to leave DirecTV ?....beg for money ??...what is the angle you should take ??

Did you get one ??

If DirecTV is not selling the HD/TiVo....how do get the credit ??

I suppose when you activate the new HD/TiVo they credit your bill ?

Call (800) 600-8977
BillF is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-05-2004, 11:33 AM   #7 (Print)
Tarheelfan

yup it's 1-800-600-8977...I've had success here.

A good attitude and an ability to go with the flow will carry you a long way in my experience... having had a long-term relationship with D* counts for a lot also

Good luck
Tarheelfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-05-2004, 01:15 PM   #8 (Print)
neildallas

The number works, however the CSR I spoke with basically told me there was nothing she would do even though I mentioned the local Dallas Comcast deal for a $9.95/month DVR. I have been a customer of DirecTV for more than 12 years in Tampa and Dallas and that and a dime would NOT get me a cup of coffee or anything else.

I sure would like to see some magic words. I don't think those people who said they were given deals to stay with DirecTV are BS'ing us but it didn't work for me.

Old 04-05-2004, 01:29 PM   #9 (Print)
slocko

You need to be at least a customer of two year in good standing with a minimum billing amount of at least $50.

You have to ask for retention.

1) Approach is to be honest and say that you pre-orderd the HD Tivo and if they can help you out with a credit to offset the cost. One poster said he got $250 off this way. They noted
2) Call and say that you are checking out the competitors offers, cable, dish, voom, and what can they offer you to match some of those offers.
3) Call and say that you know somebody got this deal and you want the same deal.

Old 04-05-2004, 02:01 PM   #10 (Print)
Archangel

Neil,

Wow...12 years as a subscriber....that is 1992 !!
You must have been first in line....when they came off the factory !
I thought I was an oldeeee....because I go back to 1997....the days
when you ordered DirecTV from DirecTV...and the premium channels
from USSB.

Anyway...try again....it can't hurt.
Plus I have never known anyone from Texas who gave up
on only one try.

Slocko,
Your approach sounds cool....but some other members say that if you get no satisfaction on the first call.....call again.

So my question from before was....what if you get a better deal on the second call....but then on the third call you get a worse deal....how do you go back to accept the second deal ?

Do they document each call you make ??
Old 04-05-2004, 02:16 PM   #11 (Print)
slocko

Multiple calls are usually required. It took me 5 tries to get the $99 promotion. Some people have also taken the email route and that worked for them.

They only make a note on your account if you have been belligerent I think. They want to make sure that you don't call back and get a better offer.

If you don't take an offer, chances are you can always call back and eventually get the same offer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Archangel
Neil,

Wow...12 years as a subscriber....that is 1992 !!
You must have been first in line....when they came off the factory !
I thought I was an oldeeee....because I go back to 1997....the days
when you ordered DirecTV from DirecTV...and the premium channels
from USSB.

Anyway...try again....it can't hurt.
Plus I have never known anyone from Texas who gave up
on only one try.

Slocko,
Your approach sounds cool....but some other members say that if you get no satisfaction on the first call.....call again.

So my question from before was....what if you get a better deal on the second call....but then on the third call you get a worse deal....how do you go back to accept the second deal ?

Do they document each call you make ??

Old 04-05-2004, 02:19 PM   #12 (Print)
JohnA

D* did not exsist yet in 1992. Their first paid subscribers came on in 1994. I bought in then and paid $900 for a 1st generation dual lnb unit. If anyone deserves a credit I do. Think I will try!
JohnA is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-05-2004, 02:20 PM   #13 (Print)
EJ

I just called, no luck. He asked me "What brand did you order?" I said "It used to be a Hughes box, but now it's just DirecTv."

He told me I was wrong, and that only Hitachi was making a box. (Don't ask me why he asked what brand I ordered when he thinks Hitachi is the only one!)

So much for the knowledgeable customer retention dept!

BTW I have been a constant customer since 1995.
EJ is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-05-2004, 02:32 PM   #14 (Print)
slocko

John,

I don't now if the unofficial $99 promotion is still available but you should try.

Here is what I got for $99:

1) One SD Tivo
2) One HD 360T Samsung receiver
3) One Phase III dish
4) One 4x8 multiswitch
5) HBO and Showtime for 6 months for $2 dollars a month
6) Free installation

Recently I called back since they expanded the markets where you are eligible for an OTA antenna installation, I got them to give me another $50 dollar credit to cover the cost of an OTA antenna.

So my $99 became $49.

I am only a 2 year member. I am not the only one that did that well. And I suck at negotiation.

I was able to sell the Samsung on ebay for around $400, my old HD receiver for $400, and the UTV that the SD Tivo replaced for $250. So Direct basically paid for my HD-Tivo.

I will be a customer for life. It's just outstanding customer service.

Here is the original thread on it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...threadid=337667

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnA
D* did not exsist yet in 1992. Their first paid subscribers came on in 1994. I bought in then and paid $900 for a 1st generation dual lnb unit. If anyone deserves a credit I do. Think I will try!

Old 04-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #15 (Print)
Archangel

Slocko,

You said some took the email route...what is the correct email address...and who do I attention it to.
Although I would not want to give my account number in an email. Maybe it is better to call.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:48 PM   #16 (Print)
slocko

not sure. check out that thread I posted and do a search on the word email. That should pull up the posts from people that went that route.

Old 04-05-2004, 05:45 PM   #17 (Print)
captdusty

I asked to be transferred to customer retention while I was on the phone ordering the $99 SD tivo deal. I simply told them about my HD Tivo pre-order with VE and asked if they could help defray the cost. They gave me a $150 credit just like that.

For the record, I've been with DirecTV for about 3 years, subscribing to their "plus" service with locals and HBO throghout that period.
captdusty is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-05-2004, 06:21 PM   #18 (Print)
yogre

My $250 Credit

I called the normal support number and told them the following in almost the exact words:

"I am an existing DirecTV customer and am planning to purchase a HD TiVo DirecTV Receiver. I heard that DirecTV will sometimes reward long term customers with crediting their accounts to-wards purchase of new hardware and wanted to know if I qualified."

The guy said he will transfer me to someone who can help me. After a short wait I had to repeat the above to another DirecTV in a different department. She also said she needs to transfer me to someone who will be able to help me.

The third was probably the Retention department because when I completed my speech for the 3'rd time, I was told to hold a bit. The lady returned with some questions:

First she said as far as she knew, the HD Tivo are only scheduled to arrive later this summer. I politely corrected her and told her I was on pre-order list in 2 separate reputable locations.
Then she asked what I was paying for my unit, I told her $999.
Finally she asked me what credit I was thinking of and I said that I heard $250 was reasonable for a unit of this caliber. I also mentioned at least once that I will be upgrading my subscription.

She told me that she put a note on my account that when I call to activate the box, I will be receiving a $250 credit.

BTW, everyone who knows me will tell you that I am very bad at negotiating. I was pretty amazed I pulled it through.

P.S.
I am a 3 year customer. My monthly is $60-$70 over this time.
yogre is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-05-2004, 06:42 PM   #19 (Print)
bc1969

It is amazing how inconsistent they are! I just called and used the exact verbiage and after three attempts they told me each time that there do not have a promotion he could honor for those units. Does anyone who received this offer remember who they spoke with? If so can you post the name so we have a point of contact at D*.
bc1969 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-05-2004, 06:45 PM   #20 (Print)
slocko

It's not a promotion. You have to ask them if they can give you some credits to offset the high cost of the receiver. You point out how good a customer you are that you are willing to spend that much money on a receiver. That you are the kind of customer that Direct wants to keep because you are going to stick around a long time with the kind of investment you are making.

Old 04-05-2004, 06:48 PM   #21 (Print)
bc1969

Slocko, Did that work for you? If so, how much of a credit did you receive?
bc1969 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-05-2004, 07:08 PM   #22 (Print)
lsdean

I called the retention dept today and got a $150 credit. I probably could have gotten more but I didn't force the issue. He just said how was $150 and said that was fine.

The first time I called I got someone who said that the HD Tivos were not out yet and there were no promotions for it. So I called back later. It sounds like you just need to get the right person.
lsdean is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-05-2004, 07:12 PM   #23 (Print)
slocko

I took advantage of an unofficial promotion that netted me among other things an HD receiver which I then sold on ebay for $400. $400 minus $99 would be around $300 if you want to look at it that way.

I would be way too greedy if I called back to ask for more credits.

Quote:
Originally posted by bc1969
Slocko, Did that work for you? If so, how much of a credit did you receive?

Old 04-05-2004, 07:31 PM   #24 (Print)
snooplives
Fa-sizzle dizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by slocko
I took advantage of an unofficial promotion that netted me among other things an HD receiver which I then sold on ebay for $400. $400 minus $99 would be around $300 if you want to look at it that way.

I would be way too greedy if I called back to ask for more credits.

Not to sound greedy, but has anybody received credit from Directv for the HD-Tivo purchase AFTER taking advantage of the $99 HD upgrade deal?

Old 04-05-2004, 08:33 PM   #25 (Print)
HDTivo4prez
Timeshifting HD??

Did not work!!

I just called and argued for about 30 minutes with no success. Apparently, these are just hoaxes and no credit are being given to anyone. Has anyone confirmed that they are indeed giving credit? I am a long term customer in good standing since 1997.
HDTivo4prez is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-05-2004, 08:42 PM   #26 (Print)
smak

They aren't hoaxes, just read the thread. If they come back with no, politely hang up and call again. You will eventually get someone who will give you some sort of credit.

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-05-2004, 08:52 PM   #27 (Print)
slocko

yep. took me five tries.

make sure you ask to speak to retention right away. say you are seriously considering switching to Voom because of the low up front cost to get HD. They will patch you right through.

Then say that you don't want to switch to Voom because you want to get an HD Tivo, but that they are so expensive. Can they give you any credit to alleviate the pain. Suggest that they can note your account to apply the credit when you call in to activate it.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:53 PM   #28 (Print)
slocko

i called 5 different days.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:02 PM   #29 (Print)
Griffon

I wish somebody from D*TV was reading this thread, they need to tune their support policies a bit to be universally good instead of hit an miss . Sounds like different call centers and different empowerment levels all over the map.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:47 AM   #30 (Print)
slocko

Re: Did not work!!

The minute you begin to argue you have lost the battle.

Don't waste your time arguing. Just press a little, if they don't budge, say you will think about it and hang up.

It's all about reaching that CSR who is in a good mood, or is about to come off shift and wants to get you off the call as quickly as possible. Or maybe they get monitored on the amount of credit they give away. Who knows!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTivo4prez
I just called and argued for about 30 minutes with no success. Apparently, these are just hoaxes and no credit are being given to anyone. Has anyone confirmed that they are indeed giving credit? I am a long term customer in good standing since 1997.