Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2004, 03:03 PM   #1 (Print)
Todd
Lost

Exclamation Anyone Else Having Audio Dropout Problems with their HDTiVo?

Once yesterday and once this morning, I switched tuners and there was no audio. If I changed channels, audio came back. Then today I TiVo'ed last week's CART race on HDNet and 58 minutes into it, the audio died for the rest of the 2.5 hour recording.

Anyone else seeing this?
Todd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-24-2004, 03:34 PM   #2 (Print)
aos

Re: Anyone Else Having Audio Dropout Problems with their HDTiVo?

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
Once yesterday and once this morning, I switched tuners and there was no audio. If I changed channels, audio came back. Then today I TiVo'ed last week's CART race on HDNet and 58 minutes into it, the audio died for the rest of the 2.5 hour recording.

Anyone else seeing this?

Are you actually getting no audio in your recording, or is your amplifier simply losing its hold on the digital stream?

The latter is probably the same problem I've been describing here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=171671

You might want to try switching your amp input to something else and then back to the TiVo and see if the audio magically comes back. It's what solves my problem. I lose my digital audio whenever I change channels, pause, fast forward, start a new program, or experience rain fade.

I've spoken to my dealer, and he's going to get me a firmware upgrade for my preamp, which should make the problem go away.

-andrew
aos is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-24-2004, 03:38 PM   #3 (Print)
gseeg

Re: Anyone Else Having Audio Dropout Problems with their HDTiVo?

Quote:

Anyone else seeing this?

This happened to me. I recorded an episode of World Report off of HDNet, and about half way through, the audio went dead. My receiver showed it wasn't receiving anything on any of the 5.1 channels. It lasted throughout the rest of the recording, and then was fine when I went back to live TV. I chalked it up to HDNet at the time, and haven't seen it happen again yet.
gseeg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-24-2004, 05:22 PM   #4 (Print)
Todd
Lost

It's definately not my receiver. The audio also goes out on the analog audio outputs since I have that going to remote TVs through a channel modulator. My receiver goes from getting a full 5.1 stream to nothing at the exact same point each time in the recording. When I noticed this problem this morning, it was also on HDNet, but I fixed it by changing the channel and then changing back to HDNet which means it probably isn't an HDNet problem. I don't remember what it was on last night when I saw the problem.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:15 PM   #5 (Print)
dcushing
Always Lurking

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=171486
See my thread here. Same problem. I am temporarily using the analog audio and I have no drop outs. Waiting to hear back from Robert on some sort of swap/repair....

Dave

Old 04-24-2004, 08:37 PM   #6 (Print)
AbMagFab
I go where Tivo goes

Anyone consider this an HDnet problem? I've had a couple shows recorded from HDnet where the audio disappears part way through until the end, but going to the Tivo menu is fine (bleep bleeps), and all other recordings seem to be fine (just doing a quick scan of them or watching them through).

The only audio issues I think I've seen are with HDnet.

2x HR10 500G 3.1.5f
All-TWeb+, TyTool, caller-id

OTA HD is 100% reliable

Save me Tivo Series 3!!!!
AbMagFab is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-24-2004, 10:40 PM   #7 (Print)
gseeg

I checked the some other recordings I had, and another HDNet program dropped audio about 1/3 of the way in, and didn't get it back for the rest of the hour long recording. I had about 3 other shows that recorded fine. I hope this is just an HDNet problem, and not a Tivo problem.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:47 PM   #8 (Print)
dcushing
Always Lurking

I have the problem on every channel. SD or HD.

Dave

Old 04-25-2004, 12:56 AM   #9 (Print)
TallGuy
TiVo TiVo TiVo TiVo

Scary. I had it too tonight on a recorded HDNet program. I could go back to Live TV, or other shows and get the sound back, but there was no audio for the last 2/3 of the hour. If this is a software bug, why wouldn't it have come up during beta testing?

Old 04-25-2004, 01:16 AM   #10 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Send a message via ICQ to dr_mal Send a message via AIM to dr_mal
I've seen this problem as well. So far, it's only occurred on HDNet. It's definitely embedded into the recording - not a receiver problem. I'm using the analog audio outputs FWIW.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that the engineers at TiVo are working on a fix for this.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:16 AM   #11 (Print)
bkdtv

Quote:
If this is a software bug, why wouldn't it have come up during beta testing?
Maybe they didn't do enough testing? Or perhaps it's a quality control issue.
bkdtv is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-25-2004, 01:56 AM   #12 (Print)
hongcho

I haven't seen it on HR10-250 yet (knock on wood).

I've seen it happen (not for hours, but just a few seconds and rarely a few minutes) on my old Sony DirecTV receiver. I've always thought it was the problem with the source, though...

Hong.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:59 AM   #13 (Print)
DocDVD
ISF/HAA

Send a message via AIM to DocDVD Send a message via Yahoo to DocDVD
It isn't the TiVo, it is your receiver or PreAmp. Because the DD stream is ALWAYS being manipulated for different devices slightly, sometimes your preamp or receiver will not ALWAYS lock on the first shot. It varies from piece to piece, and from channel to channel unfortunately!

Contributing Author of "How To Do Everything with TiVo"
DocDVD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-25-2004, 02:02 AM   #14 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Send a message via ICQ to dr_mal Send a message via AIM to dr_mal
Quote:
Originally posted by DocDVD
It isn't the TiVo, it is your receiver or PreAmp. Because the DD stream is ALWAYS being manipulated for different devices slightly, sometimes your preamp or receiver will not ALWAYS lock on the first shot. It varies from piece to piece, and from channel to channel unfortunately!

Except I'm using analog audio outputs, and I'm seeing the same thing.

It's always on HDNet. The audio signal is present in the recording for the first x minutes, then it's gone for the rest of the recording. TiVo sound effects still work while the sound's gone, so it's not the receiver or any other equipment.

If you happen to catch it live, you can change the channel, come back to HDNet, and get the audio back. But that defeats the whole purpose of TiVo, doesn't it?
dr_mal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-25-2004, 02:53 AM   #15 (Print)
randym431

Wouldnt be Hdnet doesnt want its material recorded???

Old 04-25-2004, 05:34 AM   #16 (Print)
sangs
Loving My HD Tivo

Not sure how many of you were watching HD before getting the HD Tivo, but HDNet and its audio has always been a a bit of flaky mating for me. I've experienced numerous audio glitches when watching HDNet - many of which have been solved by simply changing the channel, then going back. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens. I can see where it could be a big problem though if you're recording something and not around to change the channel. I haven't had these audio issues with HDNet Movies, Disc., ESPN, HBO or SHO though, so take that FWIW.
sangs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-25-2004, 06:51 AM   #17 (Print)
Todd
Lost

When I woke up this morning and turned on the TV, it happened to be tuned to Les Miserables on HDNet and there was no audio. I changed the channel and then back to HDNet and the sound came back. And this is over analog audio...
Old 04-25-2004, 06:58 AM   #18 (Print)
midas

Totally unrelated I suppose, but HDNet has always been a little flaky with certain receivers. During the Winter Olympics when they shared the feed with NBC at some point my picture started strobing. Everybody that had a Panasonic HD receiver had the same problem, but no other users saw it. A reboot of the receiver fixed it.
midas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-25-2004, 07:28 AM   #19 (Print)
Darin
Way Left

Quote:
Originally posted by sangs
Not sure how many of you were watching HD before getting the HD Tivo, but HDNet and its audio has always been a a bit of flaky mating for me.

FWIW, although I don't have the HD-TiVo yet, I've never had audio problems on HDNet. This is with a Samsung TS-160, and Onkyo TX-SR700 (via optical cable).

The only sound problems I have are occasionally hiccups on the MusicChoice channels (which are VERY brief, but bothersome none the less).

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia
Darin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-25-2004, 07:50 AM   #20 (Print)
AbMagFab
I go where Tivo goes

Quote:
If this is a software bug, why wouldn't it have come up during beta testing?

Maybe because no one bothers to record HDnet? I've now had a couple dozen recordings, from OTA, HBOHD, SHOHD, even HDnetMovies, and only HDnet has had any problems (and it's had a problem on half of the HDnet recordings I've made).

Anyway, it's not like the content there is interesting or important, it's just really really pretty. I'm bummed I didn't hear from the Sony guy on that CES show, but whatever.

I'd rather see folders before fixing my ability to Tivo HDnet.

2x HR10 500G 3.1.5f

OTA HD is 100% reliable

Old 04-25-2004, 08:32 AM   #21 (Print)
Darin
Way Left

Hmmm, my memory is almost nill, but every once in a while a few brain cells start clicking together, and things eventually come back to me. There was a thread at AVS some time ago about sound levels on HDNet. That particular guy indicated that dialog normalization seems to be used with their signal. I've noticed that it's louder than other channels, but I've never noticed that my receiver displays the info that his does.

So, has anyone had this issue outside of HDNet? If not, does anyone have this issue that had HD before that did NOT have this issue with their previous HD receiver?

That will help to isolate if it is indeed specific to HDNet, and if so, if it's a problem with HDNet & the HD-TiVo, or HDNet and certain a/v receivers.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia
Darin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-25-2004, 08:37 AM   #22 (Print)
DavidAsher

Happens on an HTL-HD receiver too

I've see the same audio issue on my HTL-HD

I'd much prefer to have the problem on an HDTiVo (#224 on VE pre-order)

;-)
DavidAsher is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-25-2004, 09:58 AM   #23 (Print)
gseeg

Quote:
When I woke up this morning and turned on the TV, it happened to be tuned to Les Miserables on HDNet and there was no audio. I changed the channel and then back to HDNet and the sound came back. And this is over analog audio...

Same here. I had left the Tivo on HDNet last night, and when I turned on the TV and amp this morning, and there was no digital audio at all. I changed the channel, and it came back immediately. This really sucks, because I have several things set to record on HDNet over the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:00 PM   #24 (Print)
Todd
Lost

It just happened again to me. At least it looks like this is specific to HDNet and no one else....
Old 04-25-2004, 12:12 PM   #25 (Print)
sherlocc
Person

My specific problem is as follows:
1. Only with Digital dolby 5.1 programs from the Now playing list
2. No problems when channel surfing
3. When I play from the list, my Pioneer VSX 49TI Receiver Signal Select function doesn't automatically pick up on the DD 5.1 and ends up with no sound at all
4. All I have to do is switch to another source on the Pioneer and back and the DD 5.1 sound is there.
5. I have no problems with Signal Select from the DVD player, only the HR 10-250.

In other words this is some kind of sync problem between the HR 10-250 and the Pioneer. The DD 5.1 sound is actually there just not recognized automatically by the Pioneer Signal Select function.

Anyone else with this specific set of symptoms?

I adopted HR10-250 #111 from VE, received at 10:15am PDT on April 22, 2004

Last edited by sherlocc : 04-25-2004 at 12:30 PM.
sherlocc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-25-2004, 12:45 PM   #26 (Print)
hongcho

If it happens with one specific channel, it might be an issue with the source (the encoder maybe).

I have HR10-250 through Toslink and I haven't seen the problem on other channels that I record (I don't think I record anything on HDNet).

Hong.

Old 04-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #27 (Print)
btwyx
Substantive Member

I'd seen this on one recording I made off of HDNet. ("What's Kewl at CES 2004".) I was thinking its just one of those things until this thread was pointed out. I couldn't get the audio to pick up again, but it did pick up when I went to a separate recording of a later portion. (Recording was interrupted by me knocking out the power cord accidentally.)

I wonder if the sound would have got better if I'd went back to now playing and started it again. (I may have tried that, I don't remember.)

Old 04-26-2004, 04:09 PM   #28 (Print)
gseeg

Quote:
Originally posted by btwyx
I'd seen this on one recording I made off of HDNet. ("What's Kewl at CES 2004".) I was thinking its just one of those things until this thread was pointed out. I couldn't get the audio to pick up again, but it did pick up when I went to a separate recording of a later portion. (Recording was interrupted by me knocking out the power cord accidentally.)

I wonder if the sound would have got better if I'd went back to now playing and started it again. (I may have tried that, I don't remember.)

This is one of the shows that this happened to me on. And I tried going out and back in several times, and the sound never came back. It would be on the first part of the recording, and then drop out at the same point every time.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:09 PM   #29 (Print)
dcushing
Always Lurking

In another one of these audio dropout posts, someone mentioned that they have a Optical to Coax converter and that solved all their drop out issues. I am going to try this myself tonight.

I will post an update in the morning.

Dave

Old 04-26-2004, 05:28 PM   #30 (Print)
AbMagFab
I go where Tivo goes

The CES show was a problem for me too. Dropped out I think around half way, definitely before the Sony portion.

I think this is an HDnet problem, so I don't care too much (other than really good looking shows, the content is pretty lame). I hope it's not a problem with HDnetMovies too.

2x HR10 500G 3.1.5f

OTA HD is 100% reliable