July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2004, 02:19 PM   #1 (Print)
Fluffybear

Send a message via AIM to Fluffybear
Arrow HDMI output - DEAD!

After using my HR10-250 for a couple of days, everything was starting to look okay until this afternoon.

I noticed that my picture started to deteriorate as I was looking at a negative image. I went to check to HDMI cable had not dislodged and poof the picture went black..
I immiedatiely plugged in the component cables and unplugged the HDMI cable and everything was okay. As soon as the HDMI cables went in, the picture went dark..

This leads me to think one of two things:

1. Bad cable
2. The HDMI daughter card we all have heard so much about

To confirm it was not my TV, I reconnect the SOny HD DVR I had been using and everything was okay. I do not have an extra HDMI to DVI cable so I have no way on confirming where the problem truely lies.

Called over to Rapid Satellite and there solution was to send back the unit and they would replace it immediately (if they have stock) otherwise I would go to the head of the list..
Rapid did not offer any ability to do a hot swap nor were they intrested in entertaining that option.

I called DirecTV and spoke with a very nice lady over there who agreed to do a hot swap for me. Anyway, I should have a another HR10-250 in my hands within the week.
By the way, She mentioned that if I failed to return the unit, DirecTV would charge my account $750. A $250 discount over the street price, I might just consider sending this one back to Rapid for exchange and keeping the other one as well.

AT9 5-LNB Dish
DirecTV R15 & H20

DirecTV HR10-250 (70 Hours HD)
Hughes HDVR2 (302 Hours)
Sony KDF70XBR950 HDTV
Slingbox
Location Free TV
Fluffybear is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-06-2004, 02:23 PM   #2 (Print)
JohnTivo

You didn't mention it, but did you restart the unit? HDCP might need to be reset.

$750 is an interesting amount for the penalty. I wonder why it is not MSRP.

1 TIVO Series2 (40 Hour)
JohnTivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-06-2004, 02:32 PM   #3 (Print)
Fluffybear

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnTivo
You didn't mention it, but did you restart the unit? HDCP might need to be reset.

$750 is an interesting amount for the penalty. I wonder why it is not MSRP.

Several Times..

I even went as far as to disconnect all the cables from both units, unplug both units, wait 10 minutes and plug everything back in..

I might try 1 or 2 more times before the wife gets home but I have feeling this is something more like a faulty daughter card as the picture was fine at first and went downhill while something was on..

AT9 5-LNB Dish
DirecTV R15 & H20

Hughes HDVR2 (302 Hours)
Sony KDF70XBR950 HDTV
Slingbox
Location Free TV
Old 05-06-2004, 02:39 PM   #4 (Print)
jagerbuddy

I didn't have any issue of the picture getting worse but mine is also showing the black screen. When I first turned it on I had a pic. with the DVI cable but that only lasted about 10 min. I have reset, redone and adjusted everything I could. I tested my roommate's unit and after it worked, I tried his cable in my box. No picture. this all happened the first day they were released so I got the runaround BAD at Directv. Finally ending up with we don't have any and can't help you.

I then called Robert and he said he is going to get the issue resolved but I have not pressed the issue because I know I can use component and there are a lot of people that are still waiting for theirs.

So I bet your's and mine have the same issue and it is not the cable.
jagerbuddy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-06-2004, 02:57 PM   #5 (Print)
Fluffybear

Quote:
Originally posted by jagerbuddy

So I bet your's and mine have the same issue and it is not the cable.

I did not think it was the cable either due to it's behavior.

I was very surprised at how helpful DirecTV was. They did suggest I contact Rapid and I explained I did and I considered their solution not to be to my satisfaction. There was no discussion at that point, she agreed that after having to wait to get these things that having to be without for an unspecified period of time is not satisfactory and was more then happy to get me a replacement.

She did specify I would see it within a week to 10 days but she also agreed to call me back when it actually ships and give me a FedEx tracking #.

If you are still having a problem, give them a call back and see if there willingness to assist you as changed..

AT9 5-LNB Dish
DirecTV R15 & H20

Hughes HDVR2 (302 Hours)
Sony KDF70XBR950 HDTV
Slingbox
Location Free TV
Old 05-06-2004, 03:12 PM   #6 (Print)
herdfan

I am having the same problem with my unit. I can't get the HDMI=>DVI to sync. I borrowed a Toshiba DST-3100 from my dealer ind it synced right up so I know it is not the TV. I also went and bought a $149 Monster HDMI=>DVI cable (which I returned) to check and see if it was the cable.

What was the manufacture date of your unit? Mine is 4/26, but I also have Logo's which according to the "Logo Thread" I think I am the only one with a 4/26 date and logos.

I am going to wait a little longer before I contact D* as I don't want a 4/6 manufacture date which is what GEM got from D*. And I also have a BB Pre-order coming, so if the HDMI works on it, I will keep it and return the original.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-06-2004, 03:25 PM   #7 (Print)
Fluffybear

Quote:
Originally posted by herdfan

What was the manufacture date of your unit? Mine is 4/26, but I also have Logo's which according to the "Logo Thread" I think I am the only one with a 4/26 date and logos.

4/23

I would go ahead and order from someone else but since D* is willing to resolve this, I see no reason to rock the boat at this point. I am able to watch and use the unit with the composite cables so I am willing to take a chance on what I get from D*

AT9 5-LNB Dish
DirecTV R15 & H20

Hughes HDVR2 (302 Hours)
Sony KDF70XBR950 HDTV
Slingbox
Location Free TV
Old 05-07-2004, 09:53 AM   #8 (Print)
skmillerpobox

Arrow

Add my name to the list of people whose HDMI output has died on their HR10-250. I haven't gone through the effort yet of swapping cables and changing HDMI inputs on the television, but I don't expect the outcome to be any different.

Everything was working well for the first two nights that I had the unit. After watching a couple of hours last night, the display started to flicker and that was the last I saw of the video. Everything else was still working.

I'm now using the component video.

Steve
skmillerpobox is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-07-2004, 09:57 AM   #9 (Print)
NickCat

Has anyone connected the HDMI straight to an HDMI monitor yet?

I have a Pioneer 4340 43" Plasma and the media box has two available HDMI connections. Just curious if I'll be one of the first people going straight HDMI to HDMI or if anyone else has yet and had any problems.

-Nick

NickCat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-07-2004, 10:06 AM   #10 (Print)
skmillerpobox

My connection was directly to the HDMI input of my Pioneer Elite 910 and had been working well initially.
skmillerpobox is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-07-2004, 10:12 AM   #11 (Print)
Fluffybear

This morning I plugged back in the HDMI cable and a negative image picture appeared. It stayed on for a few minutes and went to black.

I tried resetting the system at that point (again) and nothing changed..

It is back to component cables for me..

Looking at pictures of the inside of the unit, this is a quick and easy item to change out (provided it is the daughter card) if Hughes or D* would just send them out rather then having to exchange the whole unit..

AT9 5-LNB Dish
DirecTV R15 & H20

Hughes HDVR2 (302 Hours)
Sony KDF70XBR950 HDTV
Slingbox
Location Free TV
Old 05-09-2004, 09:02 AM   #12 (Print)
donsullivan

I started having the same problem with the HDMI -> DVI connection on my Sony XBR950 yesterday. At first I thought it might be a loose cable since the day before I had moved the unit into the component cabinet from it's initial install place on top. I rolled the cabinet out and reseated everything with no change. I power cycled the box and still saw no change at all. It's up and running on Component output right now with no problems at all.

I connected my HTL-HD receiver into the same DVI interface on the back of the TV and it works just fine which confirms that the problem is in the HD-TiVo. I guess it's time to get in touch with the folks at SolidSignal to get it replaced.

Last edited by donsullivan : 05-09-2004 at 09:09 AM.
donsullivan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-09-2004, 09:15 AM   #13 (Print)
JoeBuck

HDMI - DVI Never got anything but the black screen, repowered, same thing. I am running on component and it's fine. I also thought I might give it some time before I replaced. I appreciate the info about the hot swap FLuffyBear, and will probably report it to D* now and wait on the swap perhaps.

not too big a deal, but I'd like to get it resolved eventually.

4/30 Manuf. date - Tivo logo on front of box.

Hey ethel, wait, i'm not finished, hold on damnit, i'm just about to .....oh damnit, look what you did.
JoeBuck is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-09-2004, 09:37 AM   #14 (Print)
mchaney
Dude THERE'S my Tivo

I noticed something yesterday that might be important. I was switching back and forth between HDMI and component to see if I could see a difference. I determined that the HDMI was very slightly better only in that it showed slightly more detail in the shadows on my particular TV. I decided switching to HDMI just for a minimal increase in shadow detail isn't worth it because it complicates my setup.

Anyway, I plugged the HDMI cable in and looked at the picture on my TV and the very first time that I unplugged the HDMI cable and switched the TV back to component, the component video wouldn't sync. All I saw were interlaced green lines all over the place. I switched back to HDMI and it was completely dead. Knowing about this thread before I started, I thought, "Great. Now I've f****d mine up like the other guys who've tried HDMI!" My heart sank. It sank even further when I tried plugging the cables back in, switching back and forth a few more times, putting the unit in standby and turning it back "on" (have a macro for that), and even unplugging it. Nothing worked.

Then, since the sync problem looked like a formatting error, I decided to press the "format" button on the front of the unit. I was on component video and 1080i at the time. As soon as I pressed the button, it went to 480i and I got a picture. Scrolled back around to 1080i and voila... picture again. I figured it couldn't hurt so I tried switching back and forth between HDMI and component a few more times and not only had the HDMI signal also come back, I never again saw a problem. After that first brain fart, it seemed to perform flawlessly. Seemed like the unit got itself into some kind of bastardized format and using the format button restored everything.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the format button trick might work for a few other people too. I'm wondering if on occasion, the unit might lose the HDMI voltage even from turning the TV off before the Tivo and that might cause the unit to switch to component which initiates the problem.

Mike
mchaney is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-09-2004, 09:40 AM   #15 (Print)
taichinanda

My HDMI-DVI connection does not work either (blank screen). In System Information (viewed though s-video output), the HDMI status is 'HDCP not enabled'.
Would users with working HDMI port tell us what the HDMI status is in your System Information ?
taichinanda is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-09-2004, 11:13 AM   #16 (Print)
DrComputer

I am using the HDMI-to-HDMI cable directly to my Panasonic LCD Projection TV. All has worked well since day one. My status menu says "HDCP Enabled" as my TV is HDCP ready.
DrComputer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-09-2004, 12:30 PM   #17 (Print)
donsullivan

Following the comments by mchaney, I tried to see if I could manually change the output format to stabilize things and while it didn't fix the problem, it made the symptom a little bit more clear.

- With the HDMI -> DVI connection to my Sony 60XBR950 I am only able to get the video output to synch at 480i or 480p. Whenever I jump to either 720p or 1080i, either by the buttons on the front of the box, or attempted via the setup options, the video drops out of synch and is unreadable and unusable. It's completely garbled.

- I again switched back to Component, switched everything back up to 1080i and it works just fine.

The odd thing is that it worked for about 2 weeks or so since I put it in and just suddenly stopped working properly yesterday.

Last edited by donsullivan : 05-10-2004 at 02:45 PM.
donsullivan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-09-2004, 03:15 PM   #18 (Print)
nuke

Mine seems to be working fine, but I did notice that sometimes when I switch formats and go back to 1080i, the DVI gets distorted, kind of negative looking. Cycling through the formats again, it comes back.

This is to a panasonic 50HD6UY plasma with the DVI input blade.

The other thing I noticed is when the image fades to black, there's a pattern of equally spaced (about 10 pixels apart or so each direction) lightly glowing green pixels, instead of an all black screen.

I tried other DVI sources and eliminated the plasma.

It's not enough to even notice from the couch, but close up, it is definitely there.
nuke is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2004, 02:40 PM   #19 (Print)
waynemb

Mine Too

My HR10-250 arrived this am; build date is 4/26. HDMI to DVI on Toshiba 65HX93 is DOA. The unit detects the cable is connected and deactivates the component feed but there is NO picture on the DVI input of the TV. Output format does not matter; have cycled through all of them. Tried to hot swap back and forth to "trick" the unit into giving me a signal but no luck. My unit does have an HDCP compliant DVI interface.

Component picture looks great, but I guess I can forget about watching any high def PPV movies in HD.
waynemb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2004, 03:03 PM   #20 (Print)
Fluffybear

I have tried everything including cycling through the formats and the best I have been able to hope for is a negative image.

Hopefully everyone who has a problem has at least made a call to DirecTV and inform them of the problem. If we don't inform DirecTV of this problem, they have no idea how wide-spread and serious it is.

AT9 5-LNB Dish
DirecTV R15 & H20

Hughes HDVR2 (302 Hours)
Sony KDF70XBR950 HDTV
Slingbox
Location Free TV
Old 05-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #21 (Print)
waynemb

Update: Mine Too

Just got off the phone with DTV expanded technical support department. They don't really know if it is a firmware or build issue at this time and they are not going to replace my unit at this time. They suggest waiting a month or so and calling them back to see if there was an update. They asked me where I got my information on the problem, and I told them about these forums. They stated they were going to check them to see if they could get any more information.

Oh Well, at least the component video is pretty good.

Does anyone know if the network feeds in HDTV have HDCP?
Old 05-10-2004, 03:13 PM   #22 (Print)
herdfan

What is everyone's build date and do you have logos? Just looking for a pattern.

My info is 4/26 and Yes.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2004, 03:18 PM   #23 (Print)
mchaney
Dude THERE'S my Tivo

Re: Mine Too

Quote:
Originally posted by waynemb
Component picture looks great, but I guess I can forget about watching any high def PPV movies in HD.

???

Confused on the above. If you have component working, why wouldn't you be able to watch PPV in HD?

Mike
mchaney is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #24 (Print)
Fluffybear

4/23 and yes to Logo's

AT9 5-LNB Dish
DirecTV R15 & H20

Hughes HDVR2 (302 Hours)
Sony KDF70XBR950 HDTV
Slingbox
Location Free TV
Old 05-10-2004, 03:30 PM   #25 (Print)
Fluffybear

Re: Update: Mine Too

Quote:
Just got off the phone with DTV expanded technical support department. They don't really know if it is a firmware or build issue at this time and they are not going to replace my unit at this time. They suggest waiting a month or so and calling them back to see if there was an update. They asked me where I got my information on the problem, and I told them about these forums. They stated they were going to check them to see if they could get any more information.

Oh Well, at least the component video is pretty good.

Does anyone know if the network feeds in HDTV have HDCP?

I am surprised they are not willing to replace the unit. When I called DirecTV they were only more then happy to replace it.

I would love to pop the case on this thing and get a look at the daughter card and I bet you 10 to 1 there is a bad solder joint that is causing this grief. The only reason I don't is DirecTV has made arrangements to exchange it.
I do not believe it is a software issue as the problem would be more wide-spread then what is being reported in this forum.

AT9 5-LNB Dish
DirecTV R15 & H20

Hughes HDVR2 (302 Hours)
Sony KDF70XBR950 HDTV
Slingbox
Location Free TV
Old 05-10-2004, 03:44 PM   #26 (Print)
katzha

HDMI-DVI Problems

I received my HR10-250 (from Rapid Satellite BTW) on Saturday, and I have not been able to activate it because, while my satellite signals have been strong enough for an UltimateTV and a Samsung HD receiver, they are not strong enough for HDTiVo. So I do not know yet if I have logos or not.

But I did notice that I could not get DVI output into my Optoma H76 1280x720 HD2 DLP projector. Component seems to work fine. To experiment further (I thought, perhaps the HDMI to DVI cable might be bad), I connected the DVI output to an old Plus Piano 848x480 DLP projector that I had sitting around, and the Plus has no difficulty whatever with the DVI output.

I have spoken with tech support at both DirecTV and Optoma about this, and encouraged them to talk with one another. My hypothesis is that there is some subtlety in the conversion from HDMI to DVI that is confusing some monitors but not others.
katzha is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2004, 03:56 PM   #27 (Print)
Fluffybear

That might explain why someone was dead out of the box but it does not explain why it worked for several days for many of us and gradually died.

That sounds more like something burned out or a bad solder joint.

AT9 5-LNB Dish
DirecTV R15 & H20

Hughes HDVR2 (302 Hours)
Sony KDF70XBR950 HDTV
Slingbox
Location Free TV
Old 05-10-2004, 03:58 PM   #28 (Print)
waynemb

Re: Re: Mine Too

Quote:
Originally posted by mchaney
???

Confused on the above. If you have component working, why wouldn't you be able to watch PPV in HD?

Mike

The reason being that all the HD PPV movies on DirecTV, at least as far as I can determine, have HDCP enabled. This TIVO automatically downconverts these feeds to 480p becasue they are afraid we will all make digital copies of the 1080i signal. Of course, that as we all know is ridiculous, as is the whole HDCP scheme.

What is really going to screw me is if I can't view any of the HDTV network feeds because of this HDCP stuff.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:02 PM   #29 (Print)
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Send a message via AIM to litzdog911
Re: Re: Re: Mine Too

Quote:
The reason being that all the HD PPV movies on DirecTV, at least as far as I can determine, have HDCP enabled. ....

Is this really true? I thought I'd read here elsewhere that none of DirecTV's HD programs have any copy protection enabled, at least not yet.

Sony SAT-A4, B4 Receivers
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
litzdog911 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2004, 04:06 PM   #30 (Print)
the-sloth
happy HR10250 owner.

i got mine from CC this morning.... HDMI output VERY flaky. first it was just a black screen.. then i wiggled the HDMI cable on the back of the unit and got a picture for a second... got me thinking, then i pushed down in the top of the unit just above where the HDMI card sits on the motherboard... and viola video. so a bad solder point sounds very likely..

called D* and explained and they are shipping a replacement. disappointing.. but at least component video works and i have one finally.
the-sloth is offline Report Bad Post Report Post