TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 06-02-2004, 05:56 PM   #31 (Print)
modembreath

I just called the number and the csr said he was sending info along with an authorization form for me to sign and return. He said they could then switch the service right away. He was quite sure about all this. We'll see!
modembreath is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2004, 06:21 PM   #32 (Print)
Billman

Die Pegasus DIE!!!

Nothing makes me happier than to hear this news.

Old 06-02-2004, 06:36 PM   #33 (Print)
Trevor

I don't know how you guys that are getting info sent out is managing that. I called back and got the same thing I got the first time, there are no forms to be sent out yet and that we can't get switched over till Aug 1st.
Trevor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2004, 07:07 PM   #34 (Print)
scooby2
Paradigm Lover

Pegasus Satellite filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy to try and prevent this from going through.

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/040602/068127.html
scooby2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2004, 07:30 PM   #35 (Print)
vigfoot

i wonder how long this will take to play out.

bye-bye, pegasus!

channel 205 has generic info.
vigfoot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2004, 07:34 PM   #36 (Print)
scooby2
Paradigm Lover

Can anyone post what channel 205 is showing?
scooby2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2004, 07:43 PM   #37 (Print)
blurredvision

So basically, I should hopefully soon be able to "move" soon and live life with no burdens? Sounds good to me.

Old 06-02-2004, 10:41 PM   #38 (Print)
bkzoller

The title on channel 205 is "Important news for Pegasus customers." The channel shows:

Quote:
Exciting news for DIRECTV Customers served by Pegasus!

Pegasus and DIRECTV are going to be ending their relationship, which upon completion will provide a better overall DIRECTV experience to you.

We want to assure you, however, that in the interim, your DIRECTV Service will remain uninterrupted no matter what you hear or read, and there's no need for you to do anything in order to continue receiving your service.

As more information becomes available it will be posted here on channel 205 and on our website at www.directv.com/Pegasus. Stay tuned!

Sincerely,
DIRECTV

This is going to be interesting.

Brian
bkzoller is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-02-2004, 10:53 PM   #39 (Print)
brywalker

I have the utmost confidence that Pegasus is going to wither and die as intended.

DirecTV should have kicked their asses long ago, I am sure they have cost them a lot of customers with their shoddy customer service and "go ahead and get cable, we don't need you" attitude.

Old 06-03-2004, 02:16 AM   #40 (Print)
DrEvil
Evil Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cneth
Don't pop the champagne just yet:

Pegasus rejects DirecTV move to end agreement

There is more information here.

Whether or not Pegasus has a legal leg to stand on isn't clear, but they it doesn't sound like they are going to give up without a fight.

Craig

According to the first link to biz.yahoo.com, DirecTV is willing to pay Pegasus $675 cash per subscriber for the "orderly transfer" of Pegasus' 1.1 million DirecTV subscribers by August 31.

$675 x 1,100,000 subscribers = $742,500,000.

$742.5 Million dollars is quite a chunk of change to get Pegasus to go away.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:24 AM   #41 (Print)
smark
Comcast In The Hizzy

Not really considering that if all 1.1 million subs had a service averaging $35, then Pegasus would be making $462,000,000 ($420 X 1.1 million a year). After Pegasus took the money then the company would be over with... why do that when if you continue on till 2011(?) you can make $3,234,000,000 (7 years X $462,000,000 per yr)? Not including expenses of course.
smark is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2004, 07:15 AM   #42 (Print)
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Send a message via AIM to tfederov
They're also over a billion dollars in debt. That amount won't scratch the surface.

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250
tfederov is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2004, 08:31 AM   #43 (Print)
edrock200

Send a message via AIM to edrock200
Quote:
Originally posted by smark
Not really considering that if all 1.1 million subs had a service averaging $35, then Pegasus would be making $462,000,000 ($420 X 1.1 million a year). After Pegasus took the money then the company would be over with... why do that when if you continue on till 2011(?) you can make $3,234,000,000 (7 years X $462,000,000 per yr)? Not including expenses of course.

That would be considering that the $35 was profit. I'd imagine most of it goes to pay for channels, or they give a discounted base package price to DirecTV and pocket the extra money they charge they subs plus the discounts directv gives them.

Old 06-03-2004, 09:28 AM   #44 (Print)
paulfife

Quote:
Originally posted by TubaMan-Z
As a non-Pegasus NRTC customer, I will check with my local provider (www.kmtel.com) to see what affect this will have on me and report back. Currently I have some pricing advantages over DirecTV national - $3.95 mirroring fee vs. $4.99 and no charge to downgrade packages. I don't know that I want to trade the ability to manage my account on the DirecTV site for any pricing increases.

DirecTV also does not charge for package changes, so all you'd have to worry about would be the extra buck mirroring per extra receiver. Assuming all the package prices match also.
paulfife is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2004, 09:32 AM   #45 (Print)
pendragn

My sister in law is in a Pegasus area and has wanted TiVo for so long. I can't in good conscience give her a SA as it's more expensive (in unit price and montly price) and I know how much better DTiVos are. Pegasus won't let me use a DTiVo I buy for $99, and they will only lease her one. A lease which costs $150 up front and they still don't own the hardware. If she tries to sign up with DTV now, will they let her. Or does she have to wait until August?

tk

Old 06-03-2004, 09:42 AM   #46 (Print)
bkzoller

She can sign up for the TiVo service with DirecTV right now. DirecTV will charge $5 per month for TiVo service on one receiver. That's what we Pegasus customers have been doing for years. Signing up for one of the Total Choice packages with DirecTV will require waiting until August 2004 or whenever the litigation with Pegasus will finally be settled.

Brian
Old 06-03-2004, 10:01 AM   #47 (Print)
Mysteryman
Mysterious!

Quote:
Currently I have some pricing advantages over DirecTV national - $3.95 mirroring fee vs. $4.99 and no charge to downgrade packages. I don't know that I want to trade the ability to manage my account on the DirecTV site for any pricing increases.

Who charges to downgrade packages?
Mysteryman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2004, 10:32 AM   #48 (Print)
pendragn

Quote:
Originally posted by bkzoller
She can sign up for the TiVo service with DirecTV right now. DirecTV will charge $5 per month for TiVo service on one receiver. That's what we Pegasus customers have been doing for years. Signing up for one of the Total Choice packages with DirecTV will require waiting until August 2004 or whenever the litigation with Pegasus will finally be settled.

Brian

I guess I wasn't clear. She's on Dish Network now, so she'd have to set up a new account with DTV to use the DTiVo. With this new development can I buy a $99 HDVR2 at Best Buy and sign her up with DTV, or does she still need to go through Pegasus until August. Signing up with Pegasus is not an option, as they are asking for too damned much money for the DTiVo.

tk

Old 06-03-2004, 10:42 AM   #49 (Print)
bkzoller

I've never purchased any equipment directly from Pegasus, so I am not familiar with their pricing. My receivers were bought at retailers such as Best Buy and Circuit City. I called Pegasus to activate the receiver for Total Choice programming and then I called DirecTV to activate the TiVo service. That procedure will still be in effect until August, when she would be able to call DirecTV for both the programming and the TiVo service. DirecTV's new customer deals often don't work with Pegasus, so that might be a reason to wait three months before switching from Dish Network.

Brian
Old 06-03-2004, 10:55 AM   #50 (Print)
rhuntington3
Howdy!

Wowzers! Great news for a lot of people!
rhuntington3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2004, 11:00 AM   #51 (Print)
zero
Regulated User

Send a message via AIM to zero Send a message via Yahoo to zero
I've been living in a Pegasus area for a little over a year.
However, I was in a DTV area before and have my service through them.
When I moved, I 'forgot' to tell DTV that my service address changed.
I didn't see the point of having to start paying someone else for the same service.

Oh, and my current place is less than a mile from my old one!
But because my zipcode changed, I'm now supposed to be beholden to Pegasus for the same satellite signal.

Old 06-03-2004, 11:27 AM   #52 (Print)
TubaMan-Z
Love good tuba

Quote:
Originally posted by Mysteryman
Who charges to downgrade packages?

From http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn...rAgreement.dsp, Section 2, c, 5:

"(5) Change of Service Fee: If you change your Service package to a lower-priced package, we may charge you a fee the lesser of (i) up to $5.00 and (ii) the maximum amount permitted under applicable law."

My understanding is that if you downgrade your service to a lower-priced package via the DirecTV website, that is free. If you phone it in, there is a $5.00 charge. This is admittedly hearsay on my part as I am not a DirecTV national customer.

DirecTV since 1996
RCA DVR39 (144 hrs), 2003, Zippered 12/05
RCA DVR40 (35 hrs), 2004
Philips DSR708 (136 hrs), 2005, Zippered 12/05

<><
TubaMan-Z is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2004, 12:34 PM   #53 (Print)
edrock200

Send a message via AIM to edrock200
Hmm thats interesting. For what it's worth DirecTV has never charged me to downgrade.

Old 06-03-2004, 03:07 PM   #54 (Print)
Mysteryman
Mysterious!

Quote:

"(5) Change of Service Fee: If you change your Service package to a lower-priced package, we may charge you a fee the lesser of (i) up to $5.00 and (ii) the maximum amount permitted under applicable law."

My understanding is that if you downgrade your service to a lower-priced package via the DirecTV website, that is free. If you phone it in, there is a $5.00 charge. This is admittedly hearsay on my part as I am not a DirecTV national customer.

You got me there. I've never seen that before. If it helps, I've never had that fee charged to me, even on phone orders. I wonder if this is in place to prevent pro-rated abuse.

As an example, one of the things many do is subscribe to HBO for one day, cancel the next just to see the special or single movie they wanted. The charge will be pro-rated for the time you used the service, so you would see a 40 cent charge on your bill. I doubt DTV cares because you are still paying for the service. It doesn't cost them anymore to have you subscribe for one day than it does for 30, UNLESS you tie up one of their reps with your constant subscribing and canceling. They could impose that fee to stop someone from doing this at their option.

I much prefer the web site for making changes than talking to a CSR anyway.
Mysteryman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2004, 03:15 PM   #55 (Print)
ntwrkd

I just called D at the 866 number and forms are being mailed out as we speak. Expect them in about 5 days. By signing and returning, we will be giving them permission to switch us. No more Horse crap on my head!

ntwrkd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2004, 03:42 PM   #56 (Print)
jmathey

Send a message via Yahoo to jmathey
ding, dong , pegasus is dead, the witch is dead.

Can't tell you how incredibly happy this makes me. I've never had any luck with their customer support. The couple of times I've had to call D* for a Tivo problem, they've been nothing but courteous and highly helpful. Not just the canned questions I get from Pegasus, such as "Is the card plugged in " How stupid do they think we are? Glad to see them go, I'd even help them pack if it would get them out sooner.
jmathey is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2004, 04:21 PM   #57 (Print)
bkzoller

I also called about the authorization form to switch from Pegasus to DirecTV. They said to return it with a copy of a recent Pegasus bill. I guess it is to transfer the programming packages over to them.

How will this affect the timing of the NFL Sunday Ticket renewal? On the Pegasus bill from last month or the previous month, I remember seeing a note about the renewal but no money due. Maybe I should cancel the NFL package with Pegasus so that they don't get my money, and then sign up for the package after the account transfer.

Brian
Old 06-03-2004, 04:36 PM   #58 (Print)
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

Send a message via AIM to tfederov
I wonder how long it will take once we send the stuff back to DirecTV. I hope way before Aug 31.

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250
tfederov is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2004, 04:50 PM   #59 (Print)
DougF
Save the quails

Send a message via AIM to DougF
Excellent news! I've been suffering as a Pegasux customer for several years now.

DougF is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-03-2004, 10:19 PM   #60 (Print)
hillbilly

Quote:

we haven't charged that fee in a few years. the only time you get charged is if you add programming for a day and disconnect the same day, repeatedly. I mean you have to be changing programming on a daily basis for weeks before the fee gets charged.
hillbilly is offline Report Bad Post Report Post