Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2004, 08:20 AM   #1 (Print)
Bill In Boston

I want my 99 dollars back!

When will Tivo return the 99 dollars I spent to "activate" my Home Media Option?

Disgruntled in Boston
Bill In Boston is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 08:25 AM   #2 (Print)
PinballWiz

Angry Me too

Shameless 'me too' post

PinballWiz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 08:29 AM   #3 (Print)
Sw0rdf1sh

Send a message via AIM to Sw0rdf1sh Send a message via Yahoo to Sw0rdf1sh
Yo Boston,

I just typed a post in regards to this a couple of minutes ago.

Burned.

I feel I paid my $99 to test the service for everyone else. "4 New Features"? Not really.
Sw0rdf1sh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 08:31 AM   #4 (Print)
Moebius

I suppose the obvious answer to this question is when are you going to return the service you've used since you paid for it?

This is the price paid for being an early adopter of technology. Just like people who paid a premium for a new cutting edge PC only see the price drop in half in 6 months. Or people who bought new Plasma TVs and saw the price drop $1000+ in a matter of months. The list could go on forever.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:44 AM   #5 (Print)
jones07
eff.org warrior

Re: I want my 99 dollars back!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill In Boston
When will Tivo return the 99 dollars I spent to "activate" my Home Media Option?

Disgruntled in Boston

News Flash: Life isn't Fair
jones07 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 08:52 AM   #6 (Print)
kitsap

I bought HMO for 3 Tivos the first day it was available, and for a new 4th Tivo earlier this year. In terms of $246s I've spent, this rates near the top. I can't imagine retroactively giving up the convenience I've already enjoyed for a year in exchange for the price I paid, just in order to get it free now. (Of course, that is a weird time-warping concept, which contributes to its imagining difficulty!)

For people who didn't previously have HMO, welcome to the party. Now buy yourselves an additional unit or two (with the lower service fee) and see how cool MRV is!

Old 06-09-2004, 08:54 AM   #7 (Print)
cwoody222
TiVo + Mac = :(

Send a message via AIM to cwoody222
Is this the first time ever you've bought something only to have the price reduced at a later date?

I didn't think so...
cwoody222 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 08:55 AM   #8 (Print)
Sw0rdf1sh

Send a message via AIM to Sw0rdf1sh Send a message via Yahoo to Sw0rdf1sh
I see where you are going....but I don't agree fully.

You mentioned things that are somewhat hardware based, items that would normally depreciate over time.

This was a "service" that had a one time fee. Now they are just throwing it in for free and I could have used that $99 for the Lifetime subscription.

I can see the necessity for Tivo to offer the service for free as it was one of the few factors that differientiated it from the service offered by local Cable companies (which I have) and what Media Center PC's (which I also have).

The Media Center works better for this option, the Cable offering has nothing like it.

Considering the cable offering has no upfront costs, it is more attractive to people who aren't "tech", and it's $6.95 a month costs seems to be in line with the new Tivo pricing opportunity.

I'm still all about my Tivo, and I suggest it to people just about everyday.

I just will hold off on "purchasing" any new options they release in the future. Although yes....HMO was the main reason I upgraded to Series 2.

Almost 2 years of Tivo and the first time I've been miffed.....that's not too bad.
Sw0rdf1sh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 09:18 AM   #9 (Print)
Moebius

Quote:
Originally posted by Sw0rdf1sh
I see where you are going....but I don't agree fully.

You mentioned things that are somewhat hardware based, items that would normally depreciate over time.

This was a "service" that had a one time fee. Now they are just throwing it in for free and I could have used that $99 for the Lifetime subscription.

The theory still holds though. Think of phone services, things that used to be premium charges are now included in basic service. Cable companies added more channels to the basic offerings, without compensating those (like me) who had paid for them prior. Again, the list could go on. It's just the nature of the business world.

I came to realize some time ago that this is the price you pay for being an early adopter. I just decide based on the product or service if it's something I want/need now, or can wait till it's cheaper or free.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:22 AM   #10 (Print)
JFriday

I want the $700.00 I paid for my first crummy DTV receiver and dish.
JFriday is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 09:28 AM   #11 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

I want the money back on my kaypro - still steamed it can not run windows
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 09:32 AM   #12 (Print)
lordrichter

Send a message via ICQ to lordrichter Send a message via AIM to lordrichter Send a message via MSN to lordrichter Send a message via Yahoo to lordrichter
I guess I don't completely get it.

The value of something is not what I paid for it. HMO is worth more to me than the $150 I paid. Given that I feel I got more than I paid, I have no reason to be upset.

I feel I got more out of that $150 than I would have if I had invested it in the stock market, or something like that. I invested my money in HMO and already have realized a profit on that investment, with no tax burden, I might add.

Even if I knew when I purchased HMO that it would be free 18 months after I paid for it, I would not have been ahead if I had waited until now to purchase it. Certainly, I would have paid $150 less for it, but one of the reasons I purchased my second TiVo was because of HMO. A second TiVo without HMO has less value than a second TiVo with HMO, so in addition to saving $150, my TiVos would have been worth less over the last 18 months than they are today. I would never be able to go back and recover that loss, even if I could get HMO for free today.

The only way that I could understand someone getting upset is if they have spent the money and not realized the value of that expense, yet. One reason would be if it were just purchased, another is if they purchased it and never really used it.

So, yeah, I am happy with HMO, at $150. Will do it again with new stuff TiVo comes out with, if I think it is a good investment.
lordrichter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 09:53 AM   #13 (Print)
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

I don't want to say too much, but I am very disappointed in the way this was handled.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:58 AM   #14 (Print)
S.Mo
He said member

I bought HMO 2 months ago on account of the $40 rebate deal that was e-mailed to me. To be actively promoting it like that so soon before just giving it away strikes me as more than a little weasely.

I don't really even care about the HMO functionality. I just got it because I believed it would be a prereq for TIVO-2-Go.
S.Mo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 10:03 AM   #15 (Print)
jones07
eff.org warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jgickler
I don't want to say too much, but I am very disappointed in the way this was handled.

Put on your flame-retardant pajamas and step up to the plate, an say what you feel

Why are you disappointed ?
jones07 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 10:04 AM   #16 (Print)
sublime
Cynic.

meh, I got HMO a while back and have used it quite a bit, especially remote scheduling and the streaming mp3s. It would be nice to get a discount on TiVoToGo since I paid for HMO, but I won't lose any sleep over it either way.

I'd probably be more upset if I bought into the recent promotions with the rebates and such.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:09 AM   #17 (Print)
pgogborn

Don't overlook this post in another thread.

And "reliable sources" have told me that those that have paid for HMO already will not be forgotten/left in the lurch >
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...341#post2013341
pgogborn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 10:13 AM   #18 (Print)
jpwoof

i wonder if those people who have already paid for HMO would be getting Tivo2go at no cost... you never know.
jpwoof is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 10:14 AM   #19 (Print)
rsnaider

Quote:

Since nothing is official yet, why get disappointed?

TiVo Series 2 - 376 Hours
Sony SVR3000 - 264 Hours
Toshiba RX-20 - 364 Hours
rsnaider is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 10:14 AM   #20 (Print)
adelimon

My Toshiba SD-H400 cost me $500 brand new. Now you can get one for $300.

I want my $200 back!

Old 06-09-2004, 10:22 AM   #21 (Print)
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

The scale is not the same but this is similar to me buying WinAmp for $10 just for it to become free. Then they turn around and add a pro version that costs money again but I had paid for the "free" version...

I didn't get my $10 back, and I don't expect to get my money back on HMO either.

That being said the situation does have a consequence of disappointing customers and making it harder to sell new products in the future.
TiVo has the choice to do what they want here though.
MighTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 10:24 AM   #22 (Print)
papabrody

Yeah I'm p*ssed that I spent $59 a year ago or so for a service that is now free, but good for TIVO b/c including HMO makes it more attractive and IMO makes it a more competitive product in the long run. IMO, TIVO should have included HMO for free from the beginning.
papabrody is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 10:24 AM   #23 (Print)
rsnaider

If TiVo does anything they may give is some sort of credit towards new pay features or a discount on a new box. I do not feel they owe me anything since I have been using MRV daily since it was first available.

I would by lying if I said I do not feel slighted, but early adapters almost always pay more. Could I use the moeny back? Sure, unemployement sucks!

Sony SVR3000 - 264 Hours
Old 06-09-2004, 10:31 AM   #24 (Print)
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

Quote:
Originally posted by rsnaider
Since nothing is official yet, why get disappointed?

What do you mean nothing is official. HMO is now free. The only thing that is not official is what if anything Tivo will do for those of us who paid for HMO service before it became free. Are we entitled to something, probabily not. Do I have a valid reason to be disappointed, yes.

I think that the first discount ( $50 discount) 3 months after HMO's release was a slap in the face of those of use who had purchased HMO when it was first released. I think that there were other groups who should have received a discount as well and did not. I actually PM'd a complaint to a Tivo employee on this board, and he never even bothered to read or respond to my PM. That I found personally insulting, but after a while I drank some more koolaid and figured it was all water under the bridge.

Now we come to today, and they are again slapping the faces of those who adopted early. When I bought HMO I was buying a "premium service" from Tivo. That is how they advertised it. What they have now done is turn a premium service into a basic service, and I am disappointed that they would do this just a little over a year after rolling out HMO.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:39 AM   #25 (Print)
DrStrange

Here's the hard reality kids. Retroactive discounts and such cost Tivo money and get them what? New customers? You're already Tivo customers and despite the bitching, virtually none of you will give up your Tivo just because Tivo won't return money that you willingly spent on a service and that Tivo never issued any price guarantees on.

What Tivo needs is to attract new customers. If that means giving away something that everybody who was willing to pay for already has, that's what they're gonna do. Seen that Sprint commercial with the kid who gets the DELUXE paint set just cause he's new? That's how these things work. Retroactive niceties to people who are already paying you money every month aren't cost effective. Rebates, cost reductions, whatever are geared to persuading people who aren't your customers to become your customers, and (in Tivos case) to persuade people who only own one Tivo to maybe get a second. If some people with an overinflated sense of entitlement who think they should get refunds and discounts everytime the cost of something they already bought drops (but not billed for the difference if something goes up of course, that would be crazy talk), well Tivo has to decide if enough of those whiners will cancel their Tivo service, or talk friends out of Tivo ("Hey, you shouldn't buy a Tivo because they just started giving their $99 HMO service away for FREE! And second boxes are charged a lower monthly fee now! Doesn't that SUCK?") to offset the new subs they get. And guess what? YOU WON'T. You're a tiny minority that sometimes has the illusion of numbers thanks to the ease with which the internet lets tiny percentages of like-minded people find each other and pretend there are enough of them to matter.

Prices go down. Prices on electronics go down a lot. Features added by one company at a premium one year are included free on every clone a year later. What planet is it on which prices either never go down, or every previous purchaser gets a refund when it does? Both of those ideas seem ludicrous to me, but I don't see how any of the complainers here can't be honestly believing one or the other.

(Sorry, but I'm really tired of these people coming out of the woodwork everytime Tivo drops the price on something.)
DrStrange is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 10:40 AM   #26 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
The only thing that is not official is what if anything Tivo will do for those of us who paid for HMO service before it became free.

The post which I quoted [And "reliable sources" have told me that those that have paid for HMO already will not be forgotten/left in the lurch] was by ThreeSoFar.

I don't want to hand it to you on a plate, but a quick read of a popular recent thread will reveal who ThreeSoFar was recently sitting next to.
pgogborn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 10:42 AM   #27 (Print)
rsnaider

Quote:
What do you mean nothing is official. HMO is now free. The only thing that is not official is what if anything Tivo will do for those of us who paid for HMO service before it became free. Are we entitled to something, probabily not. Do I have a valid reason to be disappointed, yes.

That's my point, TiVo has said nothing about this and we only have a reference in another thread that they might do something. For now, there is nothing to complain about until they officially say we get something or nothing or something in between.

Sony SVR3000 - 264 Hours
Old 06-09-2004, 10:46 AM   #28 (Print)
terminus303

Quote:
Originally posted by rsnaider
That's my point, TiVo has said nothing about this and we only have a reference in another thread that they might do something. For now, there is nothing to complain about until they officially say we get something or nothing or something in between.

Well, it's offical in the sense that its on the web site.
http://www.tivo.com/1.2.asp

Instead of being surpriassed at the grumbling, we should just be greatful we've gone two pages without a call for a class action lawsuit.
terminus303 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 10:54 AM   #29 (Print)
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

Quote:
Originally posted by DrStrange
Here's the hard reality kids. Retroactive discounts and such cost Tivo money and get them what? New customers? You're already Tivo customers and despite the bitching, virtually none of you will give up your Tivo just because Tivo won't return money that you willingly spent on a service and that Tivo never issued any price guarantees on.

What Tivo needs is to attract new customers. If that means giving away something that everybody who was willing to pay for already has, that's what they're gonna do. Seen that Sprint commercial with the kid who gets the DELUXE paint set just cause he's new? That's how these things work. Retroactive niceties to people who are already paying you money every month aren't cost effective. Rebates, cost reductions, whatever are geared to persuading people who aren't your customers to become your customers, and (in Tivos case) to persuade people who only own one Tivo to maybe get a second. If some people with an overinflated sense of entitlement who think they should get refunds and discounts everytime the cost of something they already bought drops (but not billed for the difference if something goes up of course, that would be crazy talk), well Tivo has to decide if enough of those whiners will cancel their Tivo service, or talk friends out of Tivo ("Hey, you shouldn't buy a Tivo because they just started giving their $99 HMO service away for FREE! And second boxes are charged a lower monthly fee now! Doesn't that SUCK?") to offset the new subs they get. And guess what? YOU WON'T. You're a tiny minority that sometimes has the illusion of numbers thanks to the ease with which the internet lets tiny percentages of like-minded people find each other and pretend there are enough of them to matter.

Prices go down. Prices on electronics go down a lot. Features added by one company at a premium one year are included free on every clone a year later. What planet is it on which prices either never go down, or every previous purchaser gets a refund when it does? Both of those ideas seem ludicrous to me, but I don't see how any of the complainers here can't be honestly believing one or the other.

(Sorry, but I'm really tired of these people coming out of the woodwork everytime Tivo drops the price on something.)

If you are tired of people complaining, then just ignore the thread.

Like I said earlier, I don't think we are entitled to a discount, rebate or anything else. It would be nice, but tivo does not owe us anything. However, I do think that we can draw conclusions about how Tivo treats its early adopters, from how they handle this. From what I saw with the initial price drop in HMO, 3 months after being released, I have concluded that Tivo could care less about early adoptors. That disappoints me. They could very well do something different this time around, but that is yet to be seen.

In my opinion, there is a big difference between lowering a price, and making a service sold as "premium" a free service.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:57 AM   #30 (Print)
miadlor

I just called a few days ago about HMO and they said it was $99.
Would they have taken my money?
I have my second box on the way.....and I'm glad it's now free.
As for the service........the discount is nice but, I don't want to pay monthly.
I'd just want to pay for it and get it over with.
I don't see why they would discount one and not the other.
(don't anyone say anything about the box with lifetime could now be sold)

Math......LT $300/MTH $13........Appr. 2 years pays for it.

Using the same appr. math....... $175 for the extra lifetime would be nice!

I just don't want a monthly bill.
If multiples now get you a discount.......you shouldn't have to pay more for up front money!

Always when you pay up front you get the better price....
TiVo's own example......$12.95month......$99 a year.....$299 lifetime.
miadlor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post