Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2004, 02:29 PM   #1 (Print)
Dr.Funk

HMO Refund?

Since TiVo is now giving away the Home Media Option, will those of us who paid for it be receiving a refund?
Dr.Funk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 02:39 PM   #2 (Print)
celestprof

I was wondering the same thing, especially if we purchased it recently. Its not like this idea has just sprung into Tivo's heads.

I feel a little ripped off knowing that I paid $79 for HMO just a few months ago.
celestprof is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 02:41 PM   #3 (Print)
tralfaz

Hear hear

Feeling very ripped off. Like, instead of "Here's a great deal - $20 off HMO!", what they were REALLY saying was "We're trying to get as many people as possible to pony up some cash for it before we GIVE IT AWAY".

Thanks, TiVo.
tralfaz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 02:41 PM   #4 (Print)
BostonNines

I paid $99 in december...I don't want a refund so much as I would like a credit to purchase another TiVo.
BostonNines is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 02:41 PM   #5 (Print)
jmace57
Large Member

I'm not holding my breath. ($99 + $59 for me)

140 Hour TiVo SA Series 2
jmace57 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 02:42 PM   #6 (Print)
NaviGATR

Ditto. In fact, I just shot Customer Service an e-mail. I'll post the reply as soon as I get it.
NaviGATR is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 02:42 PM   #7 (Print)
celestprof

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonNines
I paid $99 in december...I don't want a refund so much as I would like a credit to purchase another TiVo.

Now, that sounds like a compromise! Or how about free Tivo2Go?
Old 06-09-2004, 02:43 PM   #8 (Print)
BostonNines

Whom at Tivo would we contact to file our complaint? Maybe post the email here so that other can write as well...maybe they will do something.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:43 PM   #9 (Print)
Dr.Funk

I paid the $99 for it about 7 months ago, but I talked a friend into buying a Tivo and the HMO about a month ago. I feel more sorry for him.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:45 PM   #10 (Print)
jeepville

nothing like paying to beta test it

Then once they have enough beta testers they roll it out to everyone for free.

I would be happy with 100 off a new tivo.
jeepville is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 02:46 PM   #11 (Print)
celestprof

They had to know this would irritate new HMO subscribers, if not all HMO subscribers.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:53 PM   #12 (Print)
SALvation

Was this just announced today? I got my Tivo newsletter and saw they are now giving the HMO for free. I paid for it about 6 months ago ($99) but it still makes me mad to find out I paid just to beta test this. I sent an email to customer support but I want to know who else I can talk to. At the very least I would want some sort of refund or coupon on a different Tivo service or unit.
SALvation is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 02:54 PM   #13 (Print)
NaviGATR

That's why I was so surprised. Usually they are very good about keeping the current subscribers informed and happy since we are the biggest evangelists of their product.

I've looked all over the site and it's a glaring omission to ignore current HMO users. Smells fishy to me. I hope they resolve the problem ASAP.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:55 PM   #14 (Print)
BostonNines

I sent an email to sutomer support...I think we all should - hopefully they will hear us...they have been good about things like this in the past.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:57 PM   #15 (Print)
jenab

Red face

I purchased my TiVo in March (I think). I received an email about 4 weeks later giving me a discount on HMO. I purchased ANOTHER TiVo in order to take advantage of the offer because I was already thinking about it.

I am VERY upset that I had to pay for a service that was going away 6 weeks later! And to tell the truth, it wasn't worth it at any price.

J.
jenab is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 02:59 PM   #16 (Print)
skanter

I PAID $99 LAST MONTH!!!

skanter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 02:59 PM   #17 (Print)
MickeS

I'm not sure why you should get a refund? Did you not get to use the functions you paid for? If you did, what exactly is it that you paid for that you didn't get, and that you feel you should be awarded a refund for?

Quote:
I am VERY upset that I had to pay for a service that was going away 6 weeks later!

I don't remember reading anywhere that the HMO functionality is going away?

/Mike
MickeS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 03:01 PM   #18 (Print)
celestprof

I know I certainly wouldn't have paid for it if I new 3 months later is was going to be included!
Old 06-09-2004, 03:04 PM   #19 (Print)
MickeS

Well, duh. I wouldn't have bought a lot of things (DVD-player, CD-writer) if I knew that 3 months later I could get the same model for $99 less. But that's life. I'm not gonna ask for a refund just because I got 3 months extra use out of the product.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:08 PM   #20 (Print)
NaviGATR

Well Geeze!

For a company that practically lives off of the good will of it's current subscribers and the extraordinarily high level of user satisfaction to help drive its sales and subscriptions, it's really not a smart idea to pull something like this.

Especially since it's a feature that was marketed heavily to the early adopters who are the core of TiVo's user base. They gave us the hard sell, then a short time later, after they sold as many as they could to the existing subscribers, they just decided to give it away. That's just wrong. Especially since one of the things they used to sell the HMO package was the fact that it was for life. Essentially, I paid for the HMO on 2 TiVos for a few months since it's free now. So I don't think it's asking too much to get my money back.

It was a bait and switch as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:08 PM   #21 (Print)
Dr.Funk

There is a BIG difference between buying a cd-writer for $200 dollars, and 3 months later it is $100 and buying TiVo software functionality for $99 and later TiVo gives it away for free. We didn't really get anything for our money, it was just a function in the software that they now turned on for everyone.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:15 PM   #22 (Print)
MickeS

Quote:
We didn't really get anything for our money

Of course you did. You got functions that nobody else had (except during trial periods). Do you react the same if there's a sale on something you bought 2 months ago?

Quote:
There is a BIG difference between buying a cd-writer for $200 dollars, and 3 months later it is $100 and buying TiVo software functionality for $99 and later TiVo gives it away for free.

No, there really isn't. In both cases the one who paid $100 more originally got the functionality of the product before the person who didn't buy, and in both cases that functionality was maintained for the first buyer when the product price was lowered.

Sure, out of some "good will" I guess Tivo could give some kind of discount for those who had HMO, maybe some kind of upgrade discount for future functions. I just don't see why they should have to give a refund...
Old 06-09-2004, 03:20 PM   #23 (Print)
rclayton

I agree, this is not the same as a product that has its price lowered...although places like Circuit City do offer a 110% of the difference refunded if they lower the price within 30 days (maybe 60 I forget).

I paid for a lifetime subscription to HMO for $59 (during the free trial a couple months ago)....and now they are telling me I paid $59 for 2 months basically.

I want my money back, or at least a good portion of it and I've sent them a letter to that effect. They can put it as a credit to my monthly subscription if they like...
rclayton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 03:25 PM   #24 (Print)
Dr.Funk

Quote:
Originally posted by MickeS
Of course you did. You got functions that nobody else had (except during trial periods). Do you react the same if there's a sale on something you bought 2 months ago?

No, there really isn't. In both cases the one who paid $100 more originally got the functionality of the product before the person who didn't buy, and in both cases that functionality was maintained for the first buyer when the product price was lowered.

I understand your point, but there is still a HUGE difference. If I didn't buy the CD Burner for $200, or 3 months later for $100, I wouldn't be able to burn CD's. So the people who didn't buy the HMO for whatever reason got all of the features for nothing.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:27 PM   #25 (Print)
dmk1974

I just bought my first Series2 SA Tivo two weeks ago. What enticed me to buy it was the free HMO as advertised by Best Buy. I'm guessing they jumped the gun on the ad. But anyway, with the way it is now, I am happy because coupled with the $6.95 cost for a 2nd unit which includes the HMO (MRV included), it caused me to place an order this morning for a 2nd unit from Amazon.

I too in the past have been an early adopter for other items, but I know that there will be lower prices 6-12 months after I buy. To those who paid the $99 for the HMO, it must have been worth it to you which is totally fine. But at least you got some use out of it for the time prior to now.

dmk1974 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 03:27 PM   #26 (Print)
TiVo Kid 2003

At the risk of getting flamed, here goes....

TiVo is obligated in no way to give current HMO subscribers a refund. They probably made this move to make them more competitive, i.e. to improve business/profits, not out of any kind of inherent charitable spirit. That's business. I accept that.

Many people waited to buy a TiVo until the price came down. Folks who bought a TiVo earlier paid a premium to be an "early adopter." Most nearly all of these people probably knew that eventually the price would drop and the features would improve, yet they decided it was worth paying a premium to have the TiVo sooner. There is a price for riding the technology curve and being on the "bleeding edge."

Basically, current HMO subscribers willingly paid money for the HMO features. Now that others are getting it for free, some of the shine has worn off.

This happens every day... some people in southern California bought homes 20-30 years ago for "next to nothing" that are worth a fortune today... some people rode the dot-com wave to millions just for being in the right place at the right time... many more stories like this.

And there are people who work as hard as hell for a lifetime and have very little, at least in the way of financial wealth, to show for it (I personally think this is not a measure of one's true "wealth" or happiness, but I digress...)

I've been paying $12.95 a month for over a year now... if suddenly the price dropped to $8.95 a month, I wouldn't expect a retro-active refund... it was my choice at the time to sign up for that option, it was worth it to me... no one put a gun to my head.

Quite honestly, I figured TiVo would have to offer HMO for free at some point to remain competitive, and I figured I would wait it out. If it had been important enough to me, I would have pulled the trigger earlier and signed up. This may seem like I'm rubbing salt into wounds, it's not intended to be that way.

If it makes anyone feel any better, the iPod I could buy at Best Buy today is cheaper, smaller and better-designed than the one sitting on my desk. I knew that would happen. I bought the iPod 2 years ago anyways & don't regret it.

Sorry, it's just that I see this all the time, and we need to understand that TiVo, as a company, is a business, not a benevolent non-profit organization, and none of us should become indignant over this issue (not saying that anyone who has posted here has become indignant, BTW!)

At any rate, I think it might be an outside possibility for TiVo to throw current HMO subscribers a cookie, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

(I have no affiliation w/ TiVo, even though it may sound like I do.)

Cheers.
TiVo Kid 2003 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 03:43 PM   #27 (Print)
NaviGATR

Well I have to say I am very disappointed in TiVo and their Customer Service...at least with the one Customer Service rep I just talked to.

Basically, you're not getting your money back. You're not getting a partial refund. You're not getting a credit. You're not getting anything but a smart ass attitude and a rude Customer Service rep if you happen to call.

I have to say, that's really not the TiVo I supported for more then 4 years now and I'm saddened and disappointed that I was just treated the way I was.

I think they should be treating their loyal users with a little more understanding...especially now more then ever they'll need as many of us as they can get with DIRECTV selling all of their shares in the company and saying they're going with another company. That's 50% of their subs right there.

Why don't you all give it a try. Let's see if anyone is really listening.

TiVo
(877) 367-8486

Last edited by NaviGATR : 06-09-2004 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:48 PM   #28 (Print)
manielse

I agree with "TiVo Kid 2003". Although I would love to get a rebate, price structures change and this was the pricing that current customers were looking for when they bought a second unit. I feel burned but not as bad as buying my Pioneer Tivo DVD-R that can't burn programs that I transfer from other units (that really ticks me off).

I do like the idea that I've read a few people said though about giving us (the ones who paid $99 for each device) TiVo2Go for free. I'd like to take that one step further and grandfather us into an "early release subscriber" for other future apps. I feel a $99 fee for something like this is good business that would make us all happy.

See TiVo Inc has made bad waves several times in it's history (original Series1 with Lifetime could not be transfered to S2 in beginning, the DVD-R issue I mentioned above, this new pricing..). Now I personally LOVE my TiVos but they always seem to burn me on how they do business. I might be hesitant on buying "the next extra feature".
manielse is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 03:59 PM   #29 (Print)
rclayton

I agree, they must be crazy if they think I'm going to pay for Tivo2Go...and I really want it. But as soon as I cut them a check they'll give it away (or something else that pisses us all off).

In my eyes, they just killed TiVo2Go for me!
rclayton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-09-2004, 04:04 PM   #30 (Print)
BostonNines

Welll MikeS if we get a credit or a refund on the product - you make sure you don't accept yours...this message board is for people who feel they have been slighted...I would have waited if I had known it was to be included...a cd writer is not the same, nor a dvd player....if you were told that in order to play touchstone dvd's you had to pay more, you may - but if you were told in a couple of months the upgrade would be free - would you wait - and if you were not told, any American would ask for a rebate, if you don't ask you are not an American...I gues MikeS you are not an american by my logic....or really your logic...