July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2004, 04:38 PM   #61 (Print)
Crrink

Quote:
Originally posted by ufo4sale
If I have one TiVo that is wired and one that is wireless does that make a difference?

Having one TiVo wired will give you much better speeds than having both wired. If you can't wire both, definitely wire one.
Crrink is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2004, 01:07 PM   #62 (Print)
joelongo

I just got the $20 back!

I called customer services: 1-877-367-8486. It took over 20 mins of talking to the rep, who had to make 2 other calls, but they agreed to refund the $20.00. Great deal! No hassles at all. All this on a Saturday, too.

The only gotcha is that the advertised price differs between the Tivo Store ( tivo.com/2.0.1.asp ) and the Web Special ( tivo.com/2.0.5.asp ) .
I had to explain this to the guy who had no idea what was on the web site.

I purchased my refurbed Tivo *online* about 10 days ago, received it last Thursday and activated the service on Friday. This is my 2nd Tivo. Some of this may explain why they agreed to the $20 refund in my case, and not for others posting on this page. Maybe they have an issue if you purchased it through the call center instead of online.

I don't know how much discretion the service reps have, but they should give the $20 credit to everyone that bought a refurbed Tivo in the last 30 days.

BTW: my refurbed Tivo is noticeably much faster going through menus than my 2-year old Series 2. I've got them both linked with 802.11B - they share programs but it's too slow to watch live.

Regards,
Joe
joelongo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2004, 03:26 PM   #63 (Print)
alyssa

Just to give an update as to the quality of the 40 hr unit.
I had a near flawless installation & was up and transferring a show from my main tivo to the new unit within 5 hrs. All this while cooking supper, taking care of my kid etc all. That was on Thursday night. The unit has preformed well & the transfer rates are great with USB2.0 adapters & a wired network. Of course the Cat5 is still running threw the hallway, not the Attic like I promised my Husband it would be.

I am having a small problem which is probably due to my 10+ year old TV or a bad cable. On input AV, I'm getting a pulsing horizontal line which scrolls from the bottom to the top of the TV screen. This is not happening with a show I sent to my main Tivo & TV or on the regular co-ax input of the old TV, just on the A/V input.
alyssa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2004, 08:24 PM   #64 (Print)
simmike

Quote:
Originally posted by alyssa
Just to give an update as to the quality of the 40 hr unit.
I had a near flawless installation & was up and transferring a show from my main tivo to the new unit within 5 hrs. All this while cooking supper, taking care of my kid etc all. That was on Thursday night. The unit has preformed well & the transfer rates are great with USB2.0 adapters & a wired network. Of course the Cat5 is still running threw the hallway, not the Attic like I promised my Husband it would be.

I am having a small problem which is probably due to my 10+ year old TV or a bad cable. On input AV, I'm getting a pulsing horizontal line which scrolls from the bottom to the top of the TV screen. This is not happening with a show I sent to my main Tivo & TV or on the regular co-ax input of the old TV, just on the A/V input.

The problem you describe sure sounds like a ground loop hum issue. This is a typical problem with cable not being grounded properly.
simmike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-26-2004, 11:42 PM   #65 (Print)
sytteg16

Best Buy B&M has the Toshiba SD-H400 on clearance for $199 before the $50 Tivo rebate for a new 80hr S2 Tivo and a progessive DVD player.

$79 for 40hr $1.975/hr
$149.99 for 80hr $1.874/hr

Old 06-27-2004, 02:17 AM   #66 (Print)
kensteele

Still works.

Just ordered one.

Can you convert this to Tivo Basic one day down the road?
kensteele is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-27-2004, 10:43 PM   #67 (Print)
skaeight

I just got mine for $79. It's great that the link still works.

I found out today that I had to get rid of my directv :-( My landlord told me he didn't want the dish put back on the new tin roof. So I have to deal with cable now. But atleast I'll have two tivos and MRV to deal with conflicts :-)
skaeight is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-28-2004, 12:08 PM   #68 (Print)
simonalope

Quote:
Originally posted by kensteele
Still works.

Just ordered one.

Can you convert this to Tivo Basic one day down the road?

No. Currently, Basic service only exists for the DVD/TiVo combo units from Toshiba and Pioneer. S2 TiVo-only units like the 40/80 hr refurbs require a subscription in order to function as DVRs (I believe unsubscribed units can do some very very basic live-TV trickery).
simonalope is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #69 (Print)
kensteele

No Tivo Basic for these units. Cool, thanks. $7 add is still a great deal.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:20 PM   #70 (Print)
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

bump

Old 07-01-2004, 05:56 AM   #71 (Print)
JLH

home media

Al have 1 tivo and home media option. When you buy a second Tivo would you need to buy the home media for that one too or no?
JLH is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2004, 07:24 AM   #72 (Print)
ufo4sale

No, HMO is free to the world.
ufo4sale is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2004, 10:55 AM   #73 (Print)
kensteele

So I just got mine a few hours ago, I'm not sure I want to hook this unit up.

I found out TWC has an improved combo HD/PVR box and frankly I'd rather get that as my second unit.

So how long can I keep this refurb still unopened in the box before I own it? I see the $50 rebate is good till 9/10/2004 but do I have to activate within 30 days of purchase?
Old 07-01-2004, 12:22 PM   #74 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Quote:
So how long can I keep this refurb still unopened in the box before I own it? I see the $50 rebate is good till 9/10/2004 but do I have to activate within 30 days of purchase?

If you don't want it, then why not just return it?

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2004, 05:59 PM   #75 (Print)
kensteele

Hehe, to tell you truth, I only bought it because it was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up. I'll just keep this a few more days and see how I feel (buyer's remourse). As a lifetimer on my first box, I just didn't want to incur a monthly bill for the second (another lifetime I'm not about to buy).
Old 07-01-2004, 06:22 PM   #76 (Print)
Gene S

Quote:
So I just got mine a few hours ago, I'm not sure I want to hook this unit up.

I found out TWC has an improved combo HD/PVR box and frankly I'd rather get that as my second unit.

Keep the second Tivo. I have the 8000HD from TWC, and it leaves much to be desired. Its great for recording HD, but thats about it. Even with the new version 1.1 of the software its still pretty stupid about setting up reoccuring recordings. It will work fine for a week or two then it seems to "forget" you only wanted new episodes in a specific time slot. So now the only thing I use it for is the occasional movie on HD-HBO or HD-SHO and recording HD sportting events.
Everything else I want recorded is handled by my Tivos. And since MRV is now free, its about as close as I'm going to come to a duel-tuner Tivo.

(edited to correct model number)

Last edited by Gene S : 07-01-2004 at 06:57 PM.
Gene S is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-02-2004, 09:30 AM   #77 (Print)
TiVo Fool

Note

Just sold my old Sony SVR-2000 on EBay for $100 and bought one of the refurbs for $79.

What a sweet deal.

Can't wait to try out the Multi-Room Viewing.

Yeah!!!
TiVo Fool is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-02-2004, 09:32 AM   #78 (Print)
skaeight

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVo Fool
Just sold my old Sony SVR-2000 on EBay for $100 and bought one of the refurbs for $79.

What a sweet deal.

Can't wait to try out the Multi-Room Viewing.

Yeah!!!

haha, people on ebay are suckers.
skaeight is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-02-2004, 10:14 PM   #79 (Print)
kensteele

Quote:
Originally posted by Gene S
Keep the second Tivo. I have the 8000HD from TWC, and it leaves much to be desired. Its great for recording HD, but thats about it. Even with the new version 1.1 of the software its still pretty stupid about setting up reoccuring recordings. It will work fine for a week or two then it seems to "forget" you only wanted new episodes in a specific time slot. So now the only thing I use it for is the occasional movie on HD-HBO or HD-SHO and recording HD sportting events.
Everything else I want recorded is handled by my Tivos. And since MRV is now free, its about as close as I'm going to come to a duel-tuner Tivo.

(edited to correct model number)

Thanks! Changed my mine again. No DVR from TWC. Will hookup my refurb Tivo once I get another ethernet adapter.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:36 AM   #80 (Print)
ufo4sale

I need help. I want to upgrade my 40 refurb TiVo that I bought recently and I don't know what to do. Should I add or Replace? what's the warranty on a refurb TiVo?
Old 07-03-2004, 12:40 PM   #81 (Print)
kensteele

IMO, replace is usually better than add. I'm not sure I remember correctly but it's a bigger deal to add to the 40s anyway. I'm going to wait a year and then add to my second 40 also. Weaknees.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:03 PM   #82 (Print)
ufo4sale

What do you mean it's a bigger deal to add to the 40?
Old 07-03-2004, 04:46 PM   #83 (Print)
kensteele

Thinking back, I thought I remember something about the 40hr needing additional space or a extension/rack or something in order to accomodate a second drive. Maybe not, maybe I'm thinking about that old 60hr I used to have.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:12 PM   #84 (Print)
Crrink

Well, the newer units do not have a spot for a second drive, but there are a variety of ways to mount one. Most involve 2 sided sticky tape or stick on mounts. Weaknees sells a custom designed bracket to mount two drives in a newer TiVo, and for a little more money you can get a 2 fan cooling pack that is supposed to help reduce temperatures by a fair margin. It's called the TwinBreeze - do a search to find many happy reviews.

All that being said, I think the process of adding a second drive is easier than swapping out for a larger drive, plus it will give you more total hours overall - just depends on if you can deal with the mounting issue or not.
Crrink is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2004, 05:29 PM   #85 (Print)
ufo4sale

I already added a drive to my HDVR2 with no problem. I just wanted to know what the majority of folks do here.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:10 PM   #86 (Print)
scarlet knights

Best Buy is selling new DVR-40's for $79.00 free shipping. On the web site.
scarlet knights is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2004, 06:53 PM   #87 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
Post the link. I see them for $179 (TiVo brand).

Bierboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2004, 07:29 PM   #88 (Print)
ufo4sale

Me to.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:09 PM   #89 (Print)
scarlet knights

I was just on Best Buy web site and they are still there $79.

Tell me how to link and I will,
scarlet knights is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-04-2004, 01:25 PM   #90 (Print)
kensteele

When you are looking at the BB page on your computer screen, go to the Address bar of your browser and copy whatever is in there and paste it here. No need to create a direct link or anything, just copy and paste the URL. Thanks.