THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2004, 06:22 AM   #91 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally posted by JYoung
Errr, no.

The Jan 22, 2003 "article" was actually an op-ed piece by Brian Lowry which starts:

Where I come from, 'article' (as opposed to 'news report') means much the same as 'op-ed piece'.

I tried to make it clear I was not talking about the actual demographic break-down of TiVo owners, but the 'image' of TiVo owners.

Can't retrieve the article at the moment, but if I got the paragraph order wrong, I was grievously at fault.
pgogborn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-02-2004, 12:41 PM   #92 (Print)
rseligman

Quote:
Originally posted by pgogborn
Trouble is, although perhaps the vast majority agrees with your take on what vaporware where is, not everybody does.
The traditional definition of vaporware is something that has been announced and promised time and time again, with no evidence of actually making progress in coming to market.

It seems that definition has been watered down a bit, and vaporware can now refer to something that merely has been announced but is not yet available. If you use that definition, then vaporware is no longer a derogatory term, and you should stop throwing it around. Every software or consumer electronics company announces their product before it is formally available. If the term no longer distinguishes between something announced 1 year ago and 1 day ago, then it ceases to be meaningful.
rseligman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-02-2004, 04:00 PM   #93 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally posted by rseligman
If you use that definition, then vaporware is no longer a derogatory term, and you should stop throwing it around.

If you do not think the term is derogatory I do not see why it should be on a list of words you think other people should 'stop throwing around'.

For the record, I do think the term is derogatory, but derogatory or not, I will decline your 'request' to stop using it.

By the way, I thought that it was dictionary definitions that tended to lag behind latest street usage and be the 'traditional' one. I will stick with the definition that appeared in the American dictionary that I consulted as being the 'traditional one', not your version.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:31 PM   #94 (Print)
GoodSpike

Quote:
If you do not think the term is derogatory I do not see why it should be on a list of words you think other people should 'stop throwing around'.

For the record, I do think the term is derogatory, but derogatory or not, I will decline your 'request' to stop using it.

I think you miss the point entirely. If you use vaporware to mean any product announced but not yet out, then it's not a derogatory term. It would simply mean pre-announced product. Of course, you'd then need to come up with a new term for vaporware . . ..

Old 07-03-2004, 09:32 AM   #95 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally posted by GoodSpike
I think you miss the point entirely.

I very much regret that I give the impression that I miss the point entirely, but it does not surprise me that I give that impression.

I am very aware that I have been dancing around the subject, rather than grabbing it by the throat.

However, what I would really like to say about 'vaporware', 'product announcements', call it what you will, and TiVo Inc. would fall under the heading of stock talk, which is prohibited on this forum.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:34 PM   #96 (Print)
rseligman

Quote:
For the record, I do think the term is derogatory
I will stick with the definition that appeared in the American dictionary that I consulted as being the 'traditional one', not your version.
This is a contradiction, as the dictionary definition is not derogatory. Neither the American Heritage one, nor the Merriam-Webster one. There is no "my" version. As I said, the more traditional--and derogatory--definition more closely resembles that from the Urban Dictionary, but you don't claim to be using that one.

According to the dictionary definitions, a company that announces they'll release a product within 24 hours is guilty of promoting vaporware. If that's the definition you're using, and you still think it's derogatory to call it vaporware, then you and I have wholly different expectations about how companies operate. I think most agree that it's useful to have a (derogatory) term for something that's been repeatedly promised for a long time, repeatedly missing ship dates, and a (non-derogatory) term for something that is expected to come out soon and has shown no evidence of breaking that promise. TiVo has promised TiVoToGo in Fall 2004. If we're in Spring 2005 with no release, then "vaporware" will have better support.

Windows XP SP2 has a beta version posted on the Microsoft site, and is expected to be released in about a month. Vaporware? I see no reason to label a product that is making obvious and reasonable progress to market with a derogatory term. But perhaps others do.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:01 PM   #97 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
I see no reason to label a product that is making obvious and reasonable progress to market with a derogatory term. But perhaps others do.

I for one certainly do, perhaps you have missed my hint about stock talk, but missing a date is not the only reason I use the 'vaporware' word ('product announcements' if you prefer) as a derogatory term.

Let me give another hint, culled from Yahoo, "On the day the DirecTV divestment news came out, company leaked word that it's working on plans to deliver video and audio content to its box via the Net. Plans are so preliminary, though, that no specific details or timing have been mentioned." >
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...rectv&printer=1

As a concluding hint, I offer another definition, this time from siliconinvestor.com and this time with the emphasis on context, to add to your collection of on-line definitions:
2. Vaporware is software which is promised when it is little more than a glint in the inventor's eye, with the announcement calculated primarily to stop competitors developing such a product, to stop customers buying the competing product, and to confuse and FUDalize others. >
http://www.siliconinvestor.com/stoc...?msgid=14135221
Old 07-03-2004, 10:22 PM   #98 (Print)
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony
For the record, the security keys demo'd at CES were not 'vaporware', they were fully functional prototypes.

If you ever have the opportunity to go to CES, you'll find that it's an opportunity for companies to give retailers, distributors, and the press a glimpse at what they're working on. Although many new products will be announced at the show each year, the vast majority of them are not finished and ready to ship until much later.

Pony

I don't know what the big deal is. If TiVo2Go never appears or is missing functionality such as the ability to burn DVDs then I could understand. Here you simply improved the product since it was first announced to eliminate the requirement for a piece of hardware. As I understand it the plan is for TiVo2Go to still to perform the sames functionality without the need of a hardware key.
MighTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-04-2004, 01:41 PM   #99 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
Can't retrieve the article at the moment, but if I got the paragraph order wrong, I was grievously at fault.

I have now retrieved the article. I stand by my version of how the piece started and believe that JYoungs correction of my post was not entirely fair. Perhaps he was looking at a different edition or inadvertently consulting an abstract.

TiVo, The Ultimate Script Doctor
By Brian Lowry
January 22, 2003

For all the casual banter about TiVo, there are only 29 in circulation, all of them situated in Los Angeles or New York City.

OK, that's an exaggeration. Still, given some of the enthusiastic forecasts, TiVo and other so-called "personal video recorders" haven't exactly swept the nation, despite gee-whiz benefits that include the ability to zap through commercials, pause live broadcasts and order "season passes" of favorite programs.

As a TiVo owner who anthropomorphizes the thing ("Don't worry, I'll have TiVo tape it for us"), I have pondered why the growth hasn't been faster. Then I stumbled upon a function that tech types like to call the "killer app" -- the bonus being that TiVo and its ilk not only provide the means to fast-forward through ads but can actually help consumers improve programs by excising the lame parts.

http://www.dearsally.org/alias/arti...vo_latimes.html
http://www.gotuit.com/press/coverage/012303.html
http://www.tivo.com/pdfs/productrev..._0103_lowry.pdf
Old 07-04-2004, 10:04 PM   #100 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
I for one certainly do, perhaps you have missed my hint about stock talk, but missing a date is not the only reason I use the 'vaporware' word ('product announcements' if you prefer) as a derogatory term.

Let me give another hint, culled from Yahoo, "On the day the DirecTV divestment news came out, company leaked word that it's working on plans to deliver video and audio content to its box via the Net. Plans are so preliminary, though, that no specific details or timing have been mentioned." >
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...rectv&printer=1

As a concluding hint, I offer another definition, this time from siliconinvestor.com and this time with the emphasis on context, to add to your collection of on-line definitions:
2. Vaporware is software which is promised when it is little more than a glint in the inventor's eye, with the announcement calculated primarily to stop competitors developing such a product, to stop customers buying the competing product, and to confuse and FUDalize others. >
http://www.siliconinvestor.com/stoc...?msgid=14135221

so basically with all this you are beating on TiVo for publicly saying something about working on Internet downloading. It has been public knowledge they were working on something and has been discussed here and in the press months ago.

They were not manipulating the stock price in order to sell some off, they were not casting FUD on a competitors product as no there is no real market for this yet anyway (Disney is about it right now, with some on-line down-loaders to your PC as next in line).
All they were doing was counteracting some bad press about a very poorly researched highly speculative split between them and DirecTV. Yes their stock price lost about 15% on the DirectTV rumors and they were smart to put some good press out. but that was all it was just a minor reactionary move, they even made sure their "leak" made it clear that what they "announced" was in preliminary stages and not even near a point where they could make timetables as to its release.

really, you need to come up with some better examples of TiVo bad behavior, but then I do not think much exists to back the overall argument you are trying to make about TiVo.

PS I used the Noel Coward quote above as he is reported to have said that directly to Kenneth Williams , though as a rule you are correct I do not know much about British Comedy save what is broadcast here in the US.

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 07-04-2004 at 11:22 PM.
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-05-2004, 10:30 AM   #101 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
so basically with all this you are beating on TiVo for publicly saying something about working on Internet downloading. It has been public knowledge they were working on something and has been discussed here and in the press months ago.

I thought it was speculation rather than public knowledge. I would even say that I played a minor part in initiating that speculation on the specific point about "deliver[ing] video and audio content... via the Net"

For example, use the forum search facility to find posts on Ramsey and Netflix and Ramsay and Netfix in date reverse order.

If the search engine works in the same way as it did for me, you will find that I could have been first to mention on these forums that as the TiVo CEO, Mike Ramsay, (I miscalled him Ramsey) was an active board member of Netflix board, it could mean that TiVo was planning to deliver 'DVDs' via the Net >
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...lix#post1664387

My post was made on 01-27-2004 06:18 PM. By a remarkable coincidence, on 27th January, the Register also reported the the Netflix / Ramsey / TiVo connection and seemed to come to the same conclusion as I did (scroll toward the bottom of the article). I wonder if anybody at the Register reads TiVoCommunity? >
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/0...etflix_the_fly/

Edited to correct link

Last edited by pgogborn : 07-05-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:06 PM   #102 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

so you agree with me that it was not exactly a surprise out of no where when they "leaked" the slip of news about working on internet download of content outside the normal cable/sat content feeds for TiVo. Vaporware or FUD anouncements are not usually made around things already being discussed in the public realm but are a way to shock end users into rethinking what they are doing or planning.

SCO and its UNIX license challenge of LINUX is classic FUD. Microsoft saying they are getting into a new market when they have no real product even started to development is vaporware way of keeping people delaying their decision on what they will buy.

This had none of those elements to it.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:31 PM   #103 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
so you agree with me that it was not exactly a surprise out of no where when they "leaked" the slip of news about working on internet download of content outside the normal cable/sat content feeds for TiVo.

I was disagreeing with your assertion "It has been public knowledge they were working on something and has been discussed here and in the press months ago". I was saying it was merely speculation.

It would have been equally valid to speculate that Mike Ramsay's interest in broadband was as a way to deliver a much better EPG at lower cost and/or to provide a return channel so that TiVo users could interactively purchase goods advertised on the normal cable/sat content feeds.

It was not exactly a surprise only in the sense that it would not exactly be a surprise if in 2007 DirectTV announced that it would not be renewing the contract with TiVo Inc, or if before then DirecTV started offering a NDS box.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:07 PM   #104 (Print)
bkdtv

pgogborn,

There is another discussion thread on the topic of Tivo's FCC submissions. Tivo has applied for FCC approval of a technology to distribute broadcast network programming between up to ten Tivos--used by friends and family members--over the Internet (without any sort of VPN).

This differs from ReplayTV's approach in that a) transmission is encrypted, b) is strictly for broadcast network content (the FCC has ruled there can be no limitation on the number of copies for broadcast network material), and c) the Internet distribution is limited to a maximum of ten Tivos associated with an account.
bkdtv is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-06-2004, 09:09 AM   #105 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally posted by bkdtv
pgogborn,

There is another discussion thread on the topic of Tivo's FCC submissions. Tivo has applied for FCC approval of a technology to distribute broadcast network programming between up to ten Tivos--used by friends and family members--over the Internet (without any sort of VPN).

This differs from ReplayTV's approach in that a) transmission is encrypted, b) is strictly for broadcast network content (the FCC has ruled there can be no limitation on the number of copies for broadcast network material), and c) the Internet distribution is limited to a maximum of ten Tivos associated with an account.

Thanks, bkdtv. I had completely missed the news that this sort of 'multi-rooming' had got as far as a FCC submission. I would find use for such a product - it would be a great boon to people on one side of the Pond missing programs from the other (the participant of recent thread on East Enders comes to mind).

The only slight dampener on proceedings is that not all TiVo FCC submissions reach the market. Although a hardware dongle was described in a TiVo Inc. submission to the FCC as being what enabled TiVoToGo functionality (see page 11 of the linked document), as much mentioned in this thread, TiVo has now announced the dongle idea, but not TiVoToGo, has been dropped >
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/...ment=6516082665

TiVoPony who was one of those who confirmed that a dongle would not come to market with TiVoToGo "No dongles for TiVoToGo" he also posted in this very thread that, "For the record, the security keys demo'd at CES were not 'vaporware'
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...445#post2020445
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...160#post2065160
Or perhaps the "security keys" being referred to were in the software all the time and not in the hardware dongle/usb key demonstrated

Last edited by pgogborn : 07-06-2004 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:04 PM   #106 (Print)
rseligman

Let me get this straight... you're saying that TiVo submitted a plan to the FCC, and then later improved upon their plan, thus resulting in it differing from the original submission. And then you're using that fact as evidence that "not all TiVo FCC submissions reach the market", and that it therefore is a "slight dampener" on enthusiasm for future products?

I have the feeling that if a company announced a software update that fixes 100 bugs, and then by the time it came to market it actually fixed 200 bugs, you'd hold that against them as evidence that their announcements can't be trusted. Of course, after you were through holding it against them for announcing "vaporware" in the first place.

I think I have to stop reading this thread before the throbbing vein in my head explodes.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:27 PM   #107 (Print)
swhitmore

The Forbes.com column is now posted on the site's home page. The link below will take you directly to the column.

http://www.forbes.com/columnists/20...07whitmore.html

Thanks again to everyone. Starting tonight there will be some supplemental content on my own site at http://www.mediasurvey.com

Sam
swhitmore is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-06-2004, 05:11 PM   #108 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
I think I have to stop reading this thread before the throbbing vein in my head explodes.

If that is how you feel, perhaps you should walk the walk, not talk the walk.

But I won't be putting money on not hearing from you again - I am breathing air outside of the TiVo Inc. bunker and I am not in the TiVo Praetorian Guard fan club, so I will continue to judge the TiVo separately from TiVo Inc.

At the moment I would say, "Great product, shame about the company".

P.S. Sam, I liked the article - you found the path that exists between the opposing camps on this forum.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #109 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by swhitmore
The Forbes.com column is now posted on the site's home page. The link below will take you directly to the column.

http://www.forbes.com/columnists/20...07whitmore.html

Thanks again to everyone. Starting tonight there will be some supplemental content on my own site at http://www.mediasurvey.com

Sam

Quote:
from your article--
DirecTV (nyse: DTV - news - people ), which according to TiVo Chief Financial Officer Dave Courtney generates 900,000 of TiVo's 1.6 million subscribers, last month sold its 3.4 million TiVo shares and is gearing up to offer DVRs built by NDS Group

since you stated it as fact and not rumour or speculation , where is the factual evidence that DirectTV is gearing up to offer NDS boxes????????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 07-06-2004, 05:33 PM   #110 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
I was disagreeing with your assertion "It has been public knowledge they were working on something and has been discussed here and in the press months ago". I was saying it was merely speculation.

It would have been equally valid to speculate that Mike Ramsay's interest in broadband was as a way to deliver a much better EPG at lower cost and/or to provide a return channel so that TiVo users could interactively purchase goods advertised on the normal cable/sat content feeds.

It was not exactly a surprise only in the sense that it would not exactly be a surprise if in 2007 DirectTV announced that it would not be renewing the contract with TiVo Inc, or if before then DirecTV started offering a NDS box.

OK so wher is the FUD or vaporware in TiVo confirming public "speculation"
Old 07-06-2004, 05:43 PM   #111 (Print)
swhitmore

Quote:
P.S. Sam, I liked the article - you found the path that exists between the opposing camps on this forum.

Thanks... I had fun researching and writing it.

Last edited by swhitmore : 07-06-2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #112 (Print)
swhitmore

Quote:
since you stated it as fact and not rumour or speculation , where is the factual evidence that DirectTV is gearing up to offer NDS boxes????????????????????????????????????????????????

As I said on the SWMS site...

"It's a columnist's prerogative to describe a waddling fowl headed toward water as a duck. AP style might require a call to the Audubon Society for confirmation."

Glib, maybe, but that about sums it up...

Even TiVo PR didn't protest that one! ;-)
Old 07-06-2004, 05:54 PM   #113 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:

"It's a columnist's prerogative to describe a waddling fowl headed toward water as a duck. AP style might require a call to the Audubon Society for confirmation."

ok,
but to assume there is a waddling fowl headed toward water simply because DirectTV has a tight connection to NDS seems a journalistic reach and leads me to doubt anything else you state as fact in your columns without getting my own binoculars, this is a reader's perogative.

Granted I have no proof to the contrary so will not argue the specific point further, time will tell. I suspect TiVo did not protest it because to protest it lends it more credence than it should have.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:29 PM   #114 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

How can you possibly defend this as anything but horrible journalism?

Prerogative. Hmph.

You get your degree from a Cracker Jack box? Or should I ask if you have one?

Old 07-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #115 (Print)
mbalgeman

Quote:
This year's censorship crusade by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission came about not because of Janet Jackson's Super Bowl wardrobe failure per se, but because hundreds of thousands of TiVo-equipped households could replay the incident, pause it, or freeze-frame it. Unlike a VHS tape, a TiVo captures video digitally, making it much easier to manipulate and proliferate. To regulators, that's scary.
You're kidding, right? It's because of TiVo that Janet's boobie became a big deal?

You make mention of DirecTv selling all their TiVo shares, but make no mention of DirecTv selling all of their shares in basically everything? And no mention of TiVo's "relationship" with NetFlix in your "Content distribution" section of the article?

I must not be a good investor, because your article wouldn't help me make an informed decision about investing in TiVo at all. Or was that not the point of the article?
mbalgeman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-06-2004, 09:02 PM   #116 (Print)
GoodSpike

Quote:
Originally posted by mbalgeman
I must not be a good investor, because your article wouldn't help me make an informed decision about investing in TiVo at all. Or was that not the point of the article?

Unlike the prior claims that discussing "vaporware" might be banned stock talk, what I'm about to say comes close to violating the rule (but I think I'm on the right side of the line).

I wouldn't suggest investing in anything based on an article in a magazine/newspaper or segment on TV. The point of such things is to sell magazines/newspapers and commercial space. They are produced by entities whose business is to sell certain information. The information provided is probably worth about what you pay for it (think about that a bit).

As to this particular article, reading it quickly, I didn't find it as offensive as some of the ones that came out around the time DirecTV sold. While it could have said some additional things and not said others, I don't think the overall tone was positive or negative like some similar articles. There was a bit of balance--it did not seem to be a "sky is falling" type article.

Old 07-06-2004, 09:22 PM   #117 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

I disagree. I find it more lame. He's had over a month of seeing what a load of crap it is and yet he still didn't pick that fact up in his "research". He instead parrots weeks old drivel.

Lame o rama.

Old 07-06-2004, 10:37 PM   #118 (Print)
jmoak

Quote:

Since many of your colleagues claim to be duck experts, I guess I can understand your willingness to repeat their views and descriptions of what they describe to you as "waddling fowl" and relay them again without question.

But when you refuse to take notice when that "duck" barks and hikes it leg to pee, it does not bode well for your "investigative skills".

jmoak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 AM   #119 (Print)
DavidTigerFan
Itchin' for Vegas

Send a message via AIM to DavidTigerFan Send a message via Yahoo to DavidTigerFan
Yet another reason why true 'journalism' in this country is dead. Lets write the most sensationalistic thing that might could possibly happen and hope that america is too stupid to know different. I can't believe you call yourself a journalist. I certainly don't. I'm sure National Enquirer has a position available for you. Please do not come back here.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 AM   #120 (Print)
pgogborn

Quote:
Originally posted by GoodSpike
Unlike the prior claims that discussing "vaporware" might be banned stock talk, what I'm about to say comes close to violating the rule (but I think I'm on the right side of the line).

I do not mind if you want to take a swipe at something I have posted, but if you do, I think you should accurately represent the full flavor of what I post

I did not post "discussing 'vaporware' might be banned stock stock".

I posted "what I would really like to say about 'vaporware', 'product announcements', call it what you will, and TiVo Inc. would fall under the heading of stock talk".

As a starter, which I think would fall on the OK side of the boundary, I would draw a graph plotting TiVo stock price against product and other announcements.