TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2004, 06:02 PM   #31 (Print)
publicpersona

I experienced the same problem just now. I was watching a program recorded this morning and the audio continued while the picture freeze framed. Every program recorded since this morning has the same symptom.

I restarted from the menu and what I record now is OK, but it did not fix the previously recorded programs.
publicpersona is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-11-2004, 06:53 PM   #32 (Print)
colemanr

Just to lend a little more credence and data to this issue, I'll add my "me too" post. After the update, on one of my DSR6000s, playing any recording that occurred after the update showed only a static frame of the green movie reel background (with no other graphics or text), and the sound for the entire program appeared to be intact.

The oddest thing about it is that I was able to specify new recordings and they would work properly. It only seemed to be the previously scheduled recordings that caused problems.

I rebooted my unit, and the problem appears to be fixed for new recordings, but the old, bad recordings continue to be broken.

Old 07-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #33 (Print)
njudah

same here...

I've been having the same issue on my Huges DTivo; I've rebooted once, but problem reappears (I too feared a bad hard drive.) I'll reboot again and let ya'll know how it goes - not happy about an upgrade having such negative effects..
njudah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-11-2004, 08:06 PM   #34 (Print)
Markman07
Directv Tivo + Moxi

Send a message via MSN to Markman07 Send a message via Yahoo to Markman07
Add me to the me too list.

On my upgraded DSR6000 120 MB drive it started happening after the C upgrade.

I came here and have since rebooted. I sincerely hope that this fixes the issue otherwise I am going to be very worried. My other DSR6000 isn't an upgraded Directivo but since I don't have it plugged into the phone line I don't know about that unit yet.

* 1 R10 (Stock)
* 1 Hughes SVR40 - Zippered
* 1 Philips DSR7000 - Zipered
* 1 Series 1 Philips DSR6000

Last edited by Markman07 : 07-11-2004 at 09:03 PM.
Markman07 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-11-2004, 08:50 PM   #35 (Print)
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

Ive been out of the loop for a while. When did they start rolling it out for the S1 units?

My iTunes registry
Fresh new geeky Mac site, iOnMac!
tomo_kun is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-11-2004, 08:54 PM   #36 (Print)
Jayedeye

Me as well...

Thanks for all the help
Jayedeye is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-11-2004, 10:06 PM   #37 (Print)
rwkling

My 6000 started freezing on live tv but sound was still there.
Also had a recording of "The Jury" screwed up.
Hard restart corrected it.
I checked for os update and saw the "c" had arrived.
Next step was to check here and was relived to see this thread.
Bob
rwkling is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-11-2004, 10:39 PM   #38 (Print)
njudah

I just did a cold reboot, and the problem still exists - any else about to confirm the problem persists through reboots?

This is an issue. Tivo needs to fix it, and soon. Who wants to start the pool on 1) how long this story appears on news.com 2) how long Tivo denies its their fault and 3) how long until the fix comes out..?
njudah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-11-2004, 10:56 PM   #39 (Print)
tulip088
Feather head

I'll add my Me Too.
I'm not sure when the "c" upgrade arrived, but my living room TiVo started freezing viedo this afternoon. A soft reboot seems to have worked.
My other DSR6000 also has the "c" upgrade, but is fine so far. I'll have to keep an eye on it, though.
Glad to know it's not necessarily a dying drive.

Old 07-11-2004, 11:22 PM   #40 (Print)
jsharper
rebmeM weN

it sounds to me like these problems are starting for people in the last couple of days. didnt most people get 3.1.0c about a week ago at the latest? i wonder if (and am hoping) this is a new problem and is coincidence that it is starting shortly after the 3.1.0c upgrade? Perhaps there's some weirdness in the datastream directv is sending out in the last day or two and it is triggering tuners to go into a weird mode? have any of you with this problem called directv support? can i use the question mark at the end of any more sentences?
jsharper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-11-2004, 11:29 PM   #41 (Print)
NFLnut
This Space For Rent

Well, I just had the exact things happen to my wife's DSR6000R which has 3.1.0c (mine still has 3.1.0b and no problems). It had the picture freeze while live audio continues; the Now Playing screen stayed up after pressing play on a recording; etc. This has been going on for several days now.

I think it is a little strange that this has happened in the exact same manner on different hardware.

No Turbonet or CacheCard (yet), or other hacks. I upgraded with a new Maxtor 120 about 4 months ago and have had no problems whatsoever until almost the day that it downloaded 3.1.0c.

HTTR!

Last edited by NFLnut : 07-11-2004 at 11:40 PM.
NFLnut is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 12:50 AM   #42 (Print)
smak

Many many reboots, and it's still happening.

I had this problem on NBC today. Not even during a "recording", but just in the buffer. I would go to live tv, i would get a bunch of garbage, then the picture for 5 seconds, then a freeze with the sound continuing. If i went to the other tuner, and then back to NBC, same problem.

The other tuner which was tuned into USA was fine this whole time!

Anybody remember which channels they have had this channel on?

Also, are those all series 1's, or does anybody have this problem with their series 2's?

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 01:40 AM   #43 (Print)
Phantom Gremlin

Sigh.

At the risk of being redundant, I just want to say "me too". Maybe this will help raise awareness at TiVo and DTV (wishful thinking).

The reason I'm even reading this thread right now is because I had this problem and immediately wanted to see if anyone else in the Forum experienced it.

Details: I received "c" around last Thursday. Saw the pending restart status and so did a reboot. Went out of town for the weekend. Lost two shows on Portland KGW channel 8 last Friday. The 11 PM news and the Tonight show. The symptoms are the "Now Playing List" screen (without any text) immediately appears when I hit "play" for either show. Reboot doesn't get the shows back.

I have a SAT-T60 with a 120 GB Maxtor drive from Weaknees, so 48 bit LBA can't be a factor.

This is serious. TiVo has basically been an appliance for me for several years. The only reason I even have a replacement drive is the P.O.S. original 40 GB Maxtor died. My other two SAT-T60 boxes are stock, because they're appliances. I expect them to work. I expect them to keep working.

I know that TiVo has had its share of turnover in personnel, but this type of failure is totally unacceptable. Even Microsoft has better Q.A. than this.
Phantom Gremlin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 02:19 AM   #44 (Print)
smak

Just was checking my other Tivo, the T-60, and so far it looks ok.

I'm wondering if this problem is just highlighting other problems, because i was having problems with this machine before this, including reboots.

This one is a DSR6000 with a 160gb, nothing done to make it go past 137.

My T-60 was hacked maybe 3 years ago, and it seems ok?

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 06:58 AM   #45 (Print)
Trent Bates

I'll chime in again with more info.

One of our DSR6000's is fine so far. Both have the "c" update and got it within one day of each other.
My Wife's DSR6000 exibited problems almost immediately. It was affecting tuner 1 (so I thought the unit would be toast) so I tried moving cables around and it didn't change the problem. I reconfigured the unit for single tuner use and attached the cable only to tuner 1 and it's working fine now.
Multiple reboots didn't help it either. The issue would show up again a few hours later. She was recrording/watching shows from channel 282 at the time.

I planned on going up in the attic and cleaning all the cable connectors and changing our multiswitch downstairs. I'll still do that even though this seems to be a software issue. Everyone might want to check their signal strength readings. I noticed a few transponders that were much different from tuner 1 to tuner 2. One transponder showed 68 on tuner 1 and 88 on tuner 2.

DirecTV serves me better from 23,000 miles in space than my cable company did from 4 miles away.
Trent Bates is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 08:15 AM   #46 (Print)
smptc73

Me Too!

It appears that I have been "blessed" with this issue on Sunday on both my T-60 AND DSR-6000 units. Both units are "stock," no upgraded drives or cards.

I restarted both units and the glitch has not reappeared as yet.

I'm not pleased to see that there are several in this thread who are at the point where the video freeze continues to occur after restarts.

Seems readily apparent that the software "upgrade" is what is causing this problem - there were no issues prior and it appears to be widespread (at least among those of us who still have the Series 1 units).

How do we let DTV know that their "fix" has exposed a different glitch (see signature)?

I can live with the false message about guide data. This is unacceptable.

smptc73 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 09:02 AM   #47 (Print)
Sleestack
Daily Lurker

I too have had this problem. Initially, I thought it was a failing tuner and thought it was an odd coincidence that it happened when I got the upgrade.

After I restarted the TiVo and turned 30 sec. skip and sort back on everything seemed to work just fine until the next day. It was happening again. So, I restarted the TiVo again, but this time I did not turn on 30 sec. skip and sort. Since then everything has worked just fine. I havn't tried turning them back on to see if they are causing the problem, because I've been out of town and didn't want to miss any recordings. Things have been running normally since the second reboot for about five days now.
Sleestack is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 10:13 AM   #48 (Print)
bonscott87
Medium Well

I have this problem also on my T-60 (has an added 120gb drive from nearly 3 years ago).

Got the "c" upgrade last Wednesday (and at least 3 reboots shortly after for various reasons) and everything has been fine until this morning my wife told me that the video froze but audio kept going. I told her to reboot it by unplugging and that seemed to take care of it. But I'll certainly keep an eye on it the next couple days.

I've been thinking of upgrading my HDVR2 that I have in the bedroom and swapping it with the T-60 since it's getting old and this may convince me to do just that. If it's going to fail I'd rather have my newer one have most of the critical recordings on it.

May be time to sign up for the DirecTV protection plan.

Hughes E86 HD STB
MX-700 remote and 43" Hitachi widescreen HDTV
bonscott87 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 10:47 AM   #49 (Print)
Joey303
Back for Christmas!

Me, too.

Standard un-hacked Philips DirecTiVo using only one tuner.

Pulled the plug and recordings returned to normal.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:03 PM   #50 (Print)
Deven
Advanced Member

Send a message via ICQ to Deven Send a message via AIM to Deven
Exclamation Clearly a problem with 3.1.0c upgrade...

I was watching TV on Thursday night and watched as both my TiVos rebooted right at 2:30 AM. (I thought it used to be 2:00 AM?) Both had been running 3.1.0b, and both installed 3.1.0c and rebooted again. I didn't notice any immediate problems, though I was entirely unsurprised that my CacheCard stopped working -- I knew I would need to reinstall the drivers. (I was glad to see that the spurious "acquiring data" message was finally gone.)

I went to bed shortly after that, and planned to reinstall the CacheCard drivers as soon as possible. Friday evening, after I got home from work, I unplugged my SAT-T60 and started to work on reinstalling the drivers. Meanwhile, I told my DSR6000 to record the Stargate special and season premiere on SCIFI starting at 8:00 PM. My wife had mentioned some video problems earlier in the day, and when I checked the recording of the Stargate special, there were only a few spots where the video worked, but the sound never failed. At first I thought it might have been weather-related (it was a bit stormy out), but any time I've lost the video due to rain fade, I've lost audio too. Anyhow, I rebooted the DSR6000 and the problem went away. However, the previous recordings remained hosed.

By about 10 PM, I finished the work on the SAT-T60 and plugged it back in. The CacheCard and network drivers were working fine now, and my /var/hack was still there. I haven't seen the video lockup on the SAT-T60 to date, but I'm wary of it nonetheless. Luckily, SCIFI repeated the Stargate premiere at 11 PM, so I was able to record it on the SAT-T60, but I'll have to wait a few more days to catch the special again.

When I reinstalled the CacheCard drivers on the DSR6000, I dumped the log to the screen. I didn't record the exact messages (figuring I could look them up later), but it repeatedly said something about the video decoder being "wedged", and I assume those messages were related to the video lockup problem somehow.

When I put the DSR6000 back into service, again the CacheCard and network drivers worked fine, but this time I lost the /var/hack directory -- and the old log file. Evidently the DSR6000 decided (for reasons unknown) to rebuild the /var directory. Luckily, the "nic_install" program installed tivoftpd and telnetd, so all I had to do was FTP over the tar program and a tar file of /var/hack from my SAT-T60, chmod 755 the tar program, and extract the tar file. Now I have /var/hack on both machines again, although I haven't modified the startup to launch any hacks yet.

I finished re-hacking both TiVo's before 11 PM on Friday night, but it took much less than 24 hours for the DSR6000 to exhibit the problem before re-hacking it. I haven't seen the problem on either TiVo since, but I'm worried that it could happen at any time, and this is a far more serious problem than the spurious error message that can be ignored.

We know that a restart usually fixes this problem (at least for a while), but on "that other forum" someone said it might be related to the access card somehow -- has anyone tried reinserting the access card without restarting to see if that fixes this problem? I don't know if it would work or not, but if the access card is getting into a strange state, it would be an interesting test. Then again, someone said that it was happening on only one tuner -- wouldn't an access card problem affect both tuners?

Let me summarize what we currently know about this problem:

* This is an intermittent problem which occurs on Series 1 DirecTivos (SAT-T60, DSR6000, etc.) running 3.1.0c software. I believe 3.1.0c is specific to the Series 1 DirecTivo, and I've not (yet) seen the problem reported for any other software version. Nobody has reported such a problem on 3.1.0b, but many people have reported it on 3.1.0c, which appears to have been deployed on the majority of systems in the past week. I have yet to see any reports of this problem on a Series 2 machine or with some other software version.

* This is not a symptom of hard drive failure. It's happening to too many people immediately after the software upgrade, and it magically goes away right after restarting. Many people seems to have a kneejerk reaction to say "your hard drive is failing" because it's an easy way to avoid having to explain behavior which seems inexplicable. That easy answer won't fly here -- this problem is brand-new, all too sudden, and hitting people too hard and fast for it to be explained away as hard drive failures that just didn't come to light until the software upgrade. It's also happening to people running with replacement drives that are almost brand-new.

* Whether or not the TiVo was hacked or hard drives were replaced is irrelevant. The same problem has been reported not only on hacked or expanded machines, but also on stock, unmodified systems.

* The problem may be related to tuner handling somehow, but it is not a dual-tuner issue. It has been reported that (in one instance) one tuner was exhibiting the problem while the other was working fine. The problem has also been reported to happen on a system operating in single-tuner mode, so it doesn't matter if dual tuners are active.

* This is a tuning or recording problem, not a playback problem. When the problem occurs, old recordings still play back fine, but new recordings are damaged, and live TV suffers as well. After restarting, live TV and new recordings are fine, and older recordings also playback fine -- but the recordings made while the problem was seen will still exhibit the same damage on playback.

Anything else I'm missing here?

Deven

Sony SAT-T60 (120+30GB, ~140hrs, v3.1.0c2, 512MB CacheCard)
Philips DSR6000 (120+40GB, ~160hrs, v3.1.0c2, 512MB CacheCard)
Deven is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 12:23 PM   #51 (Print)
Markman07
Directv Tivo + Moxi

Send a message via MSN to Markman07 Send a message via Yahoo to Markman07
Sounds like you hit the nail on the head Deven!

* 1 R10 (Stock)
* 1 Hughes SVR40 - Zippered
* 1 Philips DSR7000 - Zipered
* 1 Series 1 Philips DSR6000
Markman07 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 01:03 PM   #52 (Print)
dbett
Hmm?

Re: Clearly a problem with 3.1.0c upgrade...

Quote:
Originally posted by Deven
Anything else I'm missing here?

Deven

Only a definite answer to the most important question: Is this a one time thing that is solved for good by a powercycle or restart? Or have we swapped the old "losing favorites" for a new intermittent problem?

Let's hope for the former.

And thanks for the informative summary.

Old 07-12-2004, 01:22 PM   #53 (Print)
BrettStah

Re: Clearly a problem with 3.1.0c upgrade...

Quote:
Originally posted by Deven
* This is an intermittent problem which occurs on Series 1 DirecTivos (SAT-T60, DSR6000, etc.) running 3.1.0c software.

I'd just clarify to say that it's a problem which occurs on an as-yet-unknown number of Series 1 DirecTivos. It could be a very small percentage, or it could be more wide-spread. I haven't yet noticed tons of duplicate threads that normally pop up when something really wide-spread hits, but I haven't spent tons of time in the help forum lately either.

Also, it's always a good idea to call DirecTV to report the problem, and to NOT assume that your post here will be seen by the necessary people.

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 01:26 PM   #54 (Print)
BrettStah

OK, just saw one duplicate thread...
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh...threadid=184464

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 02:00 PM   #55 (Print)
Trent Bates

Dbett, We've seen the issue repeatedly on one of our units after rebooting. Restarting hasn't yet cured it. Switching to single tuner mode did seem to stop it from happening.

Could this be a bandwidth issue? Is there possibly too much happening in real-time for the series 1 processors to keep up with? They are slower than the newer units.
If I'm recording two higher bandwidth channels, am I more likely to see the problem than I would if I were recording two low bandwidth channels?

DirecTV serves me better from 23,000 miles in space than my cable company did from 4 miles away.
Trent Bates is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 02:05 PM   #56 (Print)
dbett
Hmm?

Quote:
Originally posted by Trent Bates
Dbett, We've seen the issue repeatedly on one of our units after rebooting. Restarting hasn't yet cured it. Switching to single tuner mode did seem to stop it from happening.

Could this be a bandwidth issue? Is there possibly too much happening in real-time for the series 1 processors to keep up with? They are slower than the newer units.
If I'm recording two higher bandwidth channels, am I more likely to see the problem than I would if I were recording two low bandwidth channels?

You're asking the wrong person.

I just noticed the problem early enough to start this thread. I have no idea what the cause is - especially the cause of your problem since restarting (did you actually unplug it?) doesn't help.

Old 07-12-2004, 05:39 PM   #57 (Print)
catass

Send a message via AIM to catass
I just noticed the same problem on my old hughes dtivo. Its a series 1 and I've never modified it, hardware or software. I just checked the software and it's 3.0.1c. I guess I'll try rebooting!
catass is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 05:51 PM   #58 (Print)
teeveeboy

Same freezing here on a Dtivo S1 Hughes with C update.
teeveeboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 06:17 PM   #59 (Print)
Vesper

This makes me glad I backed up 3.1.0b before hooking up the phone to do an upgrade. If I get hit with this bug, I'm reverting.
Vesper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-12-2004, 06:54 PM   #60 (Print)
daperlman
check the rhime

Well as I stated in the other thread, I had this problem and discovered when I arrived back in town on Sunday PM. I rebooted my DTiVo with the problem (I have two others with same SW and no problem). Since then I haven't seen the problem reoccur.
I DID lose all the messed up recordings!

local Red Cross chapter
daperlman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post