TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-13-2004, 02:15 PM   #91 (Print)
dwynne

I had the same problem with my Series 1 box.

This box had been having the "channels disappear" bug discussed elsewhere here and so I was happy to get the "c" update.

I had a recording running at 1pm (CDT) on Monday and it quit about 1:48PM, but the now playing did not show partial. All the other shows after that had no video, just audio. When you fast forward it does so at an extremely high rate (not 3x, more like 300x).

I did not unplug my box, just did a reset from the menu and a couple of other recordings after the reset worked fine. The recordings made during this time are hosed and had to be deleted.

FWW, this reset is the same thing that fixes the "channels disappear" bug I DID have.

I am thinking this is an attempt to fix the OTHER bug - but time will tell. No hacks on my box, but it is running a 160gb drive.

Dennis
dwynne is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 02:28 PM   #92 (Print)
bdlogic

Arrow Same problem...might not work

I have the same issue. Following an upgrade things worked fine for about 4 weeks. Now it freezes about 3-5 seconds into live TV and the picture stays but the audio continues just fine. After restarting the receiver DirecTV/Tivo from scratch it seemed to help but within a day was right back to where it started.

I don't know how to "force" and upgrade to the newest software but it is still dialing out normally. My other Tivo (without the upgraded hard drive) is still working fine.

Is your issue following an upgrade of the drive or did it just start happening out of the blue? Did anyone call DirecTV tech support?
bdlogic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 03:13 PM   #93 (Print)
Deven
Advanced Member

Send a message via ICQ to Deven Send a message via AIM to Deven
For what it's worth, /etccombo/boot299.btl in 3.1.0c is about 60% of the size of the same file from 3.1.0b -- perhaps this is related. I may try using the 3.1.0b version of this file to see if it prevents the problem from recurring -- but it's only happened once, so I don't know how frequent to expect it to be.

I second the opinion that anyone running STOCK, unmodified TiVos who experiences this problem (especially if it keeps happening) should call DirecTV support and raise holy hell. Those of us who have replaced hard drives or hacked the machine can be blown off easily, but they don't have that easy excuse for users of stock machines...

Sony SAT-T60 (120+30GB, ~140hrs, v3.1.0c2, 512MB CacheCard)
Philips DSR6000 (120+40GB, ~160hrs, v3.1.0c2, 512MB CacheCard)
Deven is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 03:15 PM   #94 (Print)
njudah

I called supported; as expected, there wasn't anything they could do for me except to record the issue - they said they will call back, and i'm still waiting. I told them about this thread - hopefully someone from Tivo is out there listening...
njudah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 03:18 PM   #95 (Print)
dwynne

Quote:
Originally posted by Deven
Those of us who have replaced hard drives or hacked the machine can be blown off easily, but they don't have that easy excuse for users of stock machines...

Why on earth would anyone tell them they had replaced the hard drive? Just call and complain - based on the comments here it is not related to the drive swap out.

Dennis
dwynne is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 04:11 PM   #96 (Print)
cartoon

Maybe they want to all of us buy a new one serie 2.
cartoon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 05:09 PM   #97 (Print)
jhillestad

Angry Me too!

I have the same problem !

I thought my unit was messed up, I replaced the multiswitch, the dual lnb and get this I even replaced my 18" dish with a spare 24" dish I had ! I thought a tree had grown and started a foliage problem. I was getting high 80's and 90's in sig strength and was getting video freezes on tuner2 I decided to look at another dsr6000 I noticed it was doing too, thats when I realized it was something else , and sure enough the firmware had changed. I unplugged both units and all has been fine.

This really makes me mad! I spent hours trying to resolve this issue, they didnt even put a letter in the tivo mailbox to inform you that the tivo was updated, then I would have had a clue... I wish I could just disable auto updates, this is annoying! I was close to even buying new RG6 cause I thought my cables were bad.

I even ordered a new philips dvr from weeknees because I fear this problem will not be resolved. Can you believe they havent even responded with a fix. I work nights and cant risk not having half my shows not record so I'm forced to buy a newer unit just to feel secure that my recordings will take place.

I am glad however to have read I wasnt the only one with this problem, I thought I was, my posts on the usenet went unanswered...

If it happens again check the weather , I have a feeling the software reacts if there is a loss of signal quality (rain fade or clouds) and then favors one tuner. I havent seen it reappear but to the guys who get it to reappear try to see the conditions that might have brought it on.
jhillestad is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 05:13 PM   #98 (Print)
jhillestad

When I say weeknees I mean a newer directivo dvr and when i say they I mean tivo/directv NOT weeknees....

I just saw my own post and didnt want anyone to think I mean weeknees has anything to do with the firmware issue... its a tivo firmware issue for sure.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:25 PM   #99 (Print)
bdlogic

Lightbulb Frozen Screen Fix

So it seems you simply disconnected the power and restarted the machine to make the frozen screen situation disappear? Restart didn't work but I didn't also unplug and then restart. Sorry to bother you but I'm just trying to fix this. Thanks!!!
BD
bdlogic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 05:33 PM   #100 (Print)
DarkHelmet
TiVo Fanatic

Well, just to confound my problem.. I just swapped my spaun 5x8 multiswitch for my older spaun 2x6 multiswitch. I wasn't using the terrestrial input so I figured it was worth a try. Anyway, the uneven transponder signal levels went away on all my dtivos, and the RCA standalone did not change its signal levels. Now I'm wondering.. transponder 1 is right at the bottom end of the frequency range, and is close to the top end of the cable signal frequencies where the the multiswitch would be starting to cross over to the terrestrial input. There was an unterminated (doh!) live in-house cable-tv cable sitting right next to the multiswitch. I was using a cable modem on it. I'm starting to suspect that the multiswitch was picking up noise from the cable-tv cable and passing it on to the receivers. Maybe putting those 75-ohm terminators on all the unused inputs and outputs might have been a good idea after all. Anyway, for whatever reason, the dtivos objected but the RCA didn't. Maybe the S1 dtivos suffer more from noise. Really weird. The other variable was that this last week has been the first of the hot days, and the attic that the multiswitch was in was rather hot, and the switch itself was Damn Hot. That couldn't have been helping either.

Anyway, substituting the switch solved my dtivo-transponder 1 problems, but I'm even more perplexed as to why the RCA430 didn't care.

Anyway, I'm still sitting at 3.1.0b (with updates blocked) until the video freeze problem is understood/resolved.

SAT-T60 (bad drives)
SD-DVR80 (1x4.01b w/ 500G, 1x6.2 w/ 250G, 1x6.2 standard)
DarkHelmet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 05:44 PM   #101 (Print)
jhillestad

How did you block the update ? If you mean block by unplugging the phone line wont your guide complain to you it couldnt phone home ? Is there a normal setting to tell it never to update ?

To answer the other guy, yes you must unplug the unit to fix the problem. Be warned a few people have reported it resurfaces so pay attention to your recordings to see if it reappears. If it reappears try to see what conditions spawned it (channel recording, weather, sig strength)

Also people who have this problem are you using multiswitchers ? I guess we need to see if we have a common denominator here.

I use :

DSR6000
multiswitch (powered) 2 sat inputs 4 outputs (RCA)
18" then a 24" Dual LNB (RCA)
30 sec skip turned on
105 hour / other unit is standard 35hr unit no hacks at all
Older P4 access card

I guess its up to us to figure out what they did.... it only took them 7 months to fix that sat guide message so they should have this cleared up by next mothers day.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:19 PM   #102 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by jhillestad
How did you block the update ?
If you have shell access there is a variable you can set in one of the configurations files to tell it not to update.
rminsk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 07:10 PM   #103 (Print)
super dave
SIRIUSLY!

My SAT-T60 just got the C last night, and boy did it get the C! Anything recorded today is just sound, the picture is the spinning reel behind the list. I did a restart from the menu and recorded a little of what I had on at the time and everything is ok for now. Anything I had on the HD before the update plays just fine also.
Poop!

F Jackie!
super dave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 07:19 PM   #104 (Print)
junkmetro

My unhacked 2-tuner T-60 with no multiswitch has done the freeze thing 3 times since Saturday!

I reset it the first two times with the menu and everything seemed fine, the third time I just started changing channel and eventually things came back to normal.

After reading this thread I think it is definitely related to signal loss... I generally lose signal is strong storms and there have been storms each of the times that it has happened... I'm not sure which card I have but am pretty sure that it is not the new one as I have not traded the card out in at least 2+ years.

I like the theory that this is related to signal decryption since only video is encrypted (is this true?)...
junkmetro is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 08:15 PM   #105 (Print)
oldsurferjoe

Cool Same old - same old

We have had a TIVO since the beginning - we now have a stock DSR6000 which we got right after they came out - works great (knock on wood) - being a long time user - every software upgrade has had issues. The last one had to do with notifications freezing the menu - but what is funny is that everytime I read about the problems - there is always the hard drive failure!!! This seems to be a common excuse and it never seems to be because of poor programing - get error bad hard drive - bunk! Hard drive failures do happen but rarely! And assuming so should only be assumed to be so as a last restore. Over the years I have been told by tech support and people in this community that we have had a hard drive failure at least a dozen times always turning out to be not the case!

I am not blaming anyone here - but telling a poor untechincal person - "its the hard drive" as a common first response seems to be a great injustice. I wonder how many uless $1000's have been spent on this poor advice - just a thought!

Old 07-13-2004, 08:18 PM   #106 (Print)
pumbaa70

Send a message via AIM to pumbaa70 Send a message via Yahoo to pumbaa70
Same problem here.

SAT -T60 2 120GB Hard Drives
Spinning wheel after restart from programing just freezing yesterday. ANyone make any more progress with DTVC
pumbaa70 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 08:26 PM   #107 (Print)
wam319

me too

add me to the "me too" list. The freezing problem has happened on both my Hughes and my Philips DTivo's. Hoping the reboots take care of the problems.

wam
wam319 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 09:14 PM   #108 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Reboot

Sorry I couldn't resist, since reboot seems to be a fix for almost everything.

Old 07-13-2004, 09:26 PM   #109 (Print)
jportnoy

I have had the problem on my SAT-60 (no upgrades or hacks) also since the software update. I have restarted the unit but the problem returned. It is not related to signal strength or weather.

Last edited by jportnoy : 07-14-2004 at 09:03 AM.
jportnoy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-13-2004, 10:52 PM   #110 (Print)
jhillestad

You guys with the Hugh's units that have this problem , is this the newer units or older units ?

I just ordered a Philips 704 , I hope it doesnt follow into these newer units.

For the guys who get it to fail again, how long does it take to fail a second time ? Did you unplug the unit or just reboot it ? I have two units running over 24 hours with no problems after the coldboot.

Maybe its a Hughs thing , any Philips people getting multiple failures ?
Old 07-13-2004, 11:04 PM   #111 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

jhillestad, this problem only effects the Series 1 machines running 3.1.0c. The unit you are buying is a Series 2 machine.

Old 07-13-2004, 11:36 PM   #112 (Print)
Dale Sorel
Three girls and more

My DSR6000 with an extra 80 GB hard-drive added seems to be working fine with the C update.
Dale Sorel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-14-2004, 12:08 AM   #113 (Print)
ADent

I have a hacked DSR6000 (older model that shipped with two drives and the bad remote) with 80GB and 120GB drives and CacheCardv2.2 with 512MB RAM. I waited a week before reinstalling the CacheCard drivers.

I have noticed no problems (though it looks like that doesn't mean they won't show up in the future), even when recording on both tuners.
ADent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-14-2004, 03:01 AM   #114 (Print)
Acerxz

Send a message via AIM to Acerxz
Add me to the "me too" list. Freezing on just one tuner. I have no hacks.

Acerxz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-14-2004, 07:56 AM   #115 (Print)
Tutman

I have 2 DSR6000's and neither one has experienced any problems that I have detected. After they were upgraded, I moved both units - so they were both completely unplugged for awhile. Not sure that unplugging them makes any difference though.
Tutman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-14-2004, 08:39 AM   #116 (Print)
junkmetro

For what its worth my Sony SAT T-60 has had the problem 3 times since Saturday... the first two I menu rebooted and things returned to normal for a day or so... I thought I fixed the issue by changing the channel a bunch on the third freeze but it turns out one tuner was suffering from the freeze while the other was fine... I unplugged for 10 minutes last night and will let you know if the problem returns...
junkmetro is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-14-2004, 08:45 AM   #117 (Print)
ScottMargarita

Another "me too" here. Stock SAT-60. Started over the weekend. Picture freezes, but sound is there. Sometimes the picture gets very scrambled and pixelated as it tunes in (like it's having a decode problem) and then a few seconds later, the picture freezes.

Rebooting helps for a while but it comes back. Last night I had bad storms and lost my signal on both tuners and problem returned, but the previous times I don't believe signal loss was involved. Only affects one tuner (verified by flipping between tuners on same channel), signal strengths are good and similar on each tuner for all transponders except one. Plan to call support tonight.

Has anyone tried to do a full wipe/reset (from the menus, not a hack)? I don't have much on there to lose right now, so I might try it. Just wondering if anyone thought it might make a difference or had tried it.
ScottMargarita is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-14-2004, 09:34 AM   #118 (Print)
vpiccoli

Yet another "Me Too" here. I've got a SAT-T60 with an upgraded drive & no hacks and a DSR6000 with an upgraded drive & no hacks.

Both of these units had the dreaded "ver C" video freeze. Unplugged them both (Saturday) and the problem went away. Monday night, the SAT-T60 got the problem again. American Chopper has about 5 separate frames which lock up (they are throughout the program) but the sound still works. 3x Fast Forward flies through the whole program in about 2 seconds. There could have been a big, wet cloud overhead while American Chopper was recording, as we did have a storm around that time. Other shows that recorded Monday night/Tuesday morning were definately hosed.

Most of the recordings that got hosed have no video at all (the spinning reel stays on the screen) but the sound plays.

I rebooted the SAT-T60(again) from the menu last night (Tues) at 6:45 PM Eastern and the problem went away. Last nights recordings seem to be OK. I'll see how long it takes to screw up again.

Any official word from DirecTV yet?

Last edited by vpiccoli : 07-14-2004 at 09:46 AM.
vpiccoli is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-14-2004, 10:39 AM   #119 (Print)
chip13

Here is an update on my post above: I have 7 T60's (yes, seven) - one stock and six upgraded with larger weaknees drives, but no other modifications. All have the 3.1c software. Five of them have experienced this problem, which has been solved so far by un-pluggging.

On one of them, I put a new hard drive in monday night just to see what would happen. It downloaded 3.1c and seems to be working fine.
chip13 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-14-2004, 10:49 AM   #120 (Print)
seanmcgpa
Directv Joyrider

Wahhh! Me too!

My SAT-T60 (3.01c) started doing the same thing last night. I rebooted and so far no more problems, but everything most of what got recorded last night is just audio with no picture.
seanmcgpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post