TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2004, 09:36 AM   #151 (Print)
lmtuxinc

I had the same problem with a stock T60.

A system reset seems to have cleared up the problem so far.
lmtuxinc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 09:44 AM   #152 (Print)
bkzoller

I recorded Six Feet Under on HBO on Sunday night on the T60. I haven't watched that episode yet to find out whether it worked. The recording problem and the live TV problem started for me on Monday morning on OLN. Maybe tuning to HBO does something to cause a problem on that tuner.

Brian
bkzoller is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 10:06 AM   #153 (Print)
robr

it has nothing to do with HBO, I don't have and have never had HBO or any other premium channel and I have the problem on my DSR6000. The only mod is I added a 2nd hard drive. I called the number previously posted and reported the problem.
robr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 10:34 AM   #154 (Print)
rockee

how can I change to 3.1?

This may be a crosspost - if so, I'm sorry.

I have an older Phillips - (from 2000). Has version 1.3 s/w. I need to change setup since have 3-digit cablebox.

Tried redoing guided setup and keep booting back to guided setup after done.
I was able to connect to make the call, but latest s/w was not downloaded.

Any ideas how to upgrade to 3.1?
rockee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 10:58 AM   #155 (Print)
BrettStah

You want to ask this in the Help forum... this is only for DirecTivos. Your Tivo that you are using with a cable box is a standalone Tivo.

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 11:41 AM   #156 (Print)
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!
High Score: 5858 Snake Champ!

Send a message via AIM to NatasNJ
Same here. Unplug seemed to fix it. Hope it doesn't come back!

NatasNJ is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 12:57 PM   #157 (Print)
Smurfslayer

It will come back

I've recycled the box ( SAT t60, stock ) twice. The freeze seems to temporarily go away if I hit the Guide button, then hit the guide button again. The effect is only temporary, and no other key sequences seem to have an effect on it, even turning the recorder off and on without unplugging didn't seem to work...

Old 07-15-2004, 01:07 PM   #158 (Print)
jon777
Tivo addict

Another case.

DSR6000 unmodified.
Problem appears to have started on Monday, discovered Wednesday evening. Did a cold boot, temporarily fixed for a couple hours but the problem returned. Problem did return during a time where there were strong thunderstorms in the area, so it seems possible that there is a tie into signal strength/rain fade. Did a reset from the menu after it recurred and it has been fine for about 18 hours -- weather conditions have been good during the time.

HR10-250
R10
jon777 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 01:18 PM   #159 (Print)
Deven
Advanced Member

Send a message via ICQ to Deven Send a message via AIM to Deven
We need EVERYONE to call and help escalate this issue!

Let's not have a repeat of the "losing favorite channels" intermittent bug that took 6 months for DirecTV to recognize as a bug requiring their attention!

Everyone who has experienced this problem should call DirecTV and report this problem. The more calls they get, the more seriously they will take this issue. When I called, they never asked if my box was hacked, so call even if your box is hacked and even if restarting fixed the problem and you haven't seen it again. Even if you've been lurking in this thread and haven't even bothered to post a "me too", call DirecTV and report this problem. We need as many reports as possible.

The direct number for TiVo support is 800-695-9251. This is the number for "Expanded Support", which is evidently DirecTV's Tier 2 support. There are two call centers this can reach, one in Alabama, another in Oklahoma. The people I spoke to (including the supervisor Freddy, badge #5441) were at the Alabama call center, but it's random which one you get when you call. Do not bother calling the normal DirecTV support number -- they'll only transfer you to this group -- or blow you off without even escalating your call. (Remember, the purpose of Tier 1 support is to handle routine calls and try to avoid escalating calls to Tier 2 when possible.)

When you talk to the representative, they'll probably give you the usual answers of "restart", "clear and delete everything", etc. I wouldn't follow any destructive instructions if I were you. (The restart is a good idea if you're having the problem; that usually does make the problem go away, at least for a while.) Unless a "tracking form" is filed, your report will be ignored. Insist that the tracking form be filed with the exact title of "DVR freezing on recorded programming". Also ask them to cross-reference Service Request #1-3191359107R2 in the description, just in case. This is the reference number for some notations on my account about this issue -- if nothing else, if many reports reference this number, surely some sort of search can be performed to find many related reports on this issue. The title of the tracking form is more important, as that will help group the reports together also -- but they might not title it as you request, so including my service request number gives a unique reference that may help someone find other tracking forms submitted about the same issue.

If we work together to flood them with (valid) calls reporting this problem, maybe we can avoid the problem of having the issue languish for months until it finally appears on DirecTV's radar and they start working on it...

Sony SAT-T60 (120+30GB, ~140hrs, v3.1.0c2, 512MB CacheCard)
Philips DSR6000 (120+40GB, ~160hrs, v3.1.0c2, 512MB CacheCard)
Deven is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 01:24 PM   #160 (Print)
Deven
Advanced Member

Rather than flood this thread with "I called them too" messages, please send such "me too" messages as private messages to me, and I'll try to keep count of how many people we are certain have called and post the total to this thread occasionally...

Old 07-15-2004, 01:45 PM   #161 (Print)
ericL
Abbie Normal

I emailed TivoOpsMgr and he said that "both TiVo and DirecTV are aware of the reports and we are investigating." Due to the nature of the TiVo/DirecTV relationship he can't help any more than that. I felt I should post this to at least give us some hope that it's not being ignored, but please don't bug him. He was nice enough to reply.

FWIW.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:50 PM   #162 (Print)
kenr

Send a message via AIM to kenr
Re: We need EVERYONE to call and help escalate this issue!

Quote:
Originally posted by Deven
Insist that the tracking form be filed with the exact title of "DVR freezing on recorded programming".
My symptom is that when I go to play a video, I get audio, but the background from the GUI menu screen that you are in when starting to play the recording never goes away, thus I see no video. Do you believe that your title applies to this symptom also?

Thanks for your efforts in trying to gain some official visibility with DirecTV and TiVo.

(P.S. My opinion is that TiVo knows about this bug already! They're staying silent as mouse because they've been told to not say anything. Although TiVo employees may not be posting here they are reading and how could they miss a thread as visible as this one)
kenr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 01:56 PM   #163 (Print)
jsharper
rebmeM weN

Quote:
Originally posted by ericL
I emailed TivoOpsMgr and he said that "both TiVo and DirecTV are aware of the reports and we are investigating." Due to the nature of the TiVo/DirecTV relationship he can't help any more than that. I felt I should post this to at least give us some hope that it's not being ignored, but please don't bug him. He was nice enough to reply.

FWIW.

That's good to know, but people with the problem (I haven't had the problem on either of my DSR6000's.. (I also probably haven't had any signal interruptions)) should still call in and report it. If noone calls in because they know d* knows about it, d* might just think that the problem doesn't affect very many people and they might put the fix on the back burner or something.

I guess forum readers here are probably a small percentage of dtivo customers, tho, so what we do wrt calling d* probably doesn't change the big picture all that much.
jsharper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 02:05 PM   #164 (Print)
spellow
Damn! Winters coming

Ok, Yes I have the same problem.

Do as instructed and call this number:

The direct number for TiVo support is 800-695-9251

This is teir 2 support.

Insist to speak to a supervisor about this subject, ask for a tracking form to be filled out.

I spoke to William who knew about this problem, he said to have as many people as possible call the above number to report this problem. He said they have had a few calls but not a lot.

We need to call this number and report it, he said that if they get enough calls they could possible start working on the patch as early as tomorrow.

PhillipsDSR 7000 146 Hours
spellow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 03:40 PM   #165 (Print)
DanoStu

I just gotta wonder if this might be their way of wanting to replace all the Series 1 boxes out there with Series 2.

By the way, I have the problem as well. I called about it a few minutes ago.
DanoStu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 04:18 PM   #166 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by DanoStu
I just gotta wonder if this might be their way of wanting to replace all the Series 1 boxes out there with Series 2.
Why would they want to do that? They lose money selling DirecTV receivers. The reason why you have a one year commitment when you buy a new receiver is so they can make back their costs. No conspiracy here.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:25 PM   #167 (Print)
Deven
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ericL

It's nice that they're investigating, but it doesn't change the basic equation -- if there are very few calls, DirecTV considers it unimportant. If there is a flood of calls, they're more likely to jump on it. Even if TiVo and DirecTV are looking at it, call anyway. Otherwise they may not realize just how widespread this problem really is.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:33 PM   #168 (Print)
Deven
Advanced Member

Re: Re: We need EVERYONE to call and help escalate this issue!

Quote:
Originally posted by kenr
My symptom is that when I go to play a video, I get audio, but the background from the GUI menu screen that you are in when starting to play the recording never goes away, thus I see no video. Do you believe that your title applies to this symptom also?
Yes, you're seeing the same problem. The video won't playback properly (you may have either a black screen or the menu background, which is an MPEG clip), but the audio is perfect. If you lose video AND audio, it's probably signal loss, but if your video is shot while the audio is fine, that's this bug biting you. Restarting usually gets it working again, but not always, and it could happen again anytime. That's why the sooner we get this fixed, the better!
Quote:
Thanks for your efforts in trying to gain some official visibility with DirecTV and TiVo.
My one phone call means little by itself. We need LOTS of phone calls from different users all reporting the same problem, and THAT will get their attention. Lurkers unite!
Quote:
(P.S. My opinion is that TiVo knows about this bug already! They're staying silent as mouse because they've been told to not say anything. Although TiVo employees may not be posting here they are reading and how could they miss a thread as visible as this one)
No doubt some people are aware of the symptoms, though they might have no idea on the cause. Regardless, DirecTV is driving their relationship, and TiVo can't work on the problem unless DirecTV asks them to, so it's DirecTV that we need to convince that this matters. If enough of us call Tier 2 support with DirecTV (and maybe automatically asking for a supervisor might not be a bad idea), hopefully DirecTV will take the hint that this is a real issue, and put TiVo to work fixing it. I know TiVo's engineers have the skills to find and fix the problem, but it's DirecTV that needs to make it a priority.

Start making those calls, people! Nobody has sent me a PM to tell me they've called -- don't wait for someone else to make the call, we need everyone to do their part!

Old 07-15-2004, 04:49 PM   #169 (Print)
g-man

Quote:
Originally posted by spellow
Ok, Yes I have the same problem.

Do as instructed and call this number:

The direct number for TiVo support is 800-695-9251

This is teir 2 support.

Insist to speak to a supervisor about this subject, ask for a tracking form to be filled out.

I spoke to William who knew about this problem, he said to have as many people as possible call the above number to report this problem. He said they have had a few calls but not a lot.

We need to call this number and report it, he said that if they get enough calls they could possible start working on the patch as early as tomorrow.

Just called and spoke with Renita (sp?). Filled out an escalation form and she said that I was added to the list of customers experiencing this problem. I don't know...she tried to tell me it was a manufacturers defect...That the hardware could not handle the upgrade or something??? I don't think so.
I have been using this DSR6000 for about 2 years and haven't had any problems until 2 days after I noticed the upgrade. A reboot solved the problem temporarily (about a day and a half), but it came back again last night.
I also have an HDVR2 which is not experiencing this issue and has had the upgrade for quite some time.
edit-->thanks Deven and spellow!
g-man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 05:01 PM   #170 (Print)
nsteve_o

Same problems/symptoma as described by others, except that unplugging (or resetting, I don't remember for sure whitch, fixed tne recording of Six Feet Under on one unit but not on the other. I have (2) stock SAT-T60s, and found c on both units while investigating the problem. DirecTV tech support was mystified, said mine was their first call on this, said current rev. was b, and after consultation told me to put everything I wanted to save onto tape, and call them back for hard reset/new download procedure!!! Instead I cycled power and reset units, and it appears so far to have cured itself.

Old 07-15-2004, 05:04 PM   #171 (Print)
Zoglarfy
:cool: (Not quite)

Having same problems, called the company, blah blah blah.

Anyways, I actually used to work for DirecTV, and I quit almost a year ago. I'm in loose contact with one of my co-workers there, and I asked him to see if he can also look into it for us. While we worked at a separate call center than the Tier 2 Tivo people, he should have access to the same information as them and maybe he can help raise awareness of this issue. I'll let you guys know if I hear back from him.

Old 07-15-2004, 05:07 PM   #172 (Print)
kenr

Send a message via AIM to kenr
I've owned TiVos since late 1999, and this is the first time in all those years, that I now consider it a reasonably high probability that I'll go to watch a show and encounter a bad recording, i.e, missing video. This is by far the worst problem I've ever experienced with TiVo and at the worst possible time. I say the worst possible time, because it's unclear to me how responsive TiVo is to our problems. Considering it took nearly 7 months to fix the "acquiring data" bug, I fear tremendously that this could go unfixed for months. The lack of communication to us from DirectTV and TiVO compounds this further.

My 2nd worst problem, but it happened so infrequently I didn't worry about was the disappearing list of channels, that's supposedly fixed by this c release.
kenr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 05:09 PM   #173 (Print)
nsteve_o

I believe that DirecTV owes it to us to provide detailed information on how this happened, as it represents a serious failure in quality management on a system ans service for ,which we pay dearly, and on which I have come to rely.

Old 07-15-2004, 05:36 PM   #174 (Print)
JayDog
TiVo'ing since '99

I just thought I'd add my two cents here....

I started experiencing this problem a couple nights ago... At first I thought maybe my dish got knocked outta wack or something....
I spent a couple hours swapping cables trying to narrow down the source of the problem (This, of course, was before I came here to read this thread) After messing with cables for awhile, I thought I'd run the 'self-test'... it got stuck during the phone call and I had to unplug the unit. Once it started back up, the problem seemed to go away... well since the phone call didn't go through before, I forced its daily call... The call completed, no problem, but then the problem came back with one of the tuners dropping out video and only having audio... I got frustrated, and told my wife we were going to get the HR10-250 which should fix the problem
This morning I came here and read this thread... After hearing that some had been able to 'fix' the problem by restarting, I thought I'd give that another try...
Well, it seems to have worked (so far) I did a software restart from the menu... and once it came back online, it works fine.
It makes me wonder though since I had restarted before and then had the problem re-appear after having the Tivo do its call, maybe there's something there? don' know, but I just hope it is still working when I get home.

I will call the support line though to report that I have the same problem. And I do still plan on getting the HD-Tivo....

By the way, I have the DSR6000, unmodified.... have had it for a little over 3 years... no problems until now...
JayDog is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 08:29 PM   #175 (Print)
Rojma
HD & Tivo Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Rojma
Just wanted to let people know that there are some of us out there that are NOT having any problems with the C upgrade, so it is not affecting everyone... (finger crossed)
Rojma is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 08:31 PM   #176 (Print)
jazzys

I'm hearing rumblings that the issue may be a result of new software and a change in the stream happening at roughly the same time, i.e. - too many chefs. That from a friend who works at TiVo but isn't directly involved with this particular aspect of things.
jazzys is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 09:15 PM   #177 (Print)
PAtivoMan

Add me to the list of users with this problem. I have a SAT T60, unmodified. Has worked fine for 3 years, no issues ever until now. Interestingly, the freezing (with continuing audio) started during a huge thunderstorm on Monday. I'm not sure when I got the "c" upgrade, but I do have it. Is there a way to check that? Anyway, did a hard reset (unplugged), but it came back during another rain storm a day later. Did a reset from the menu on Wednesday and it's been fine since. I think the best theory may be (after reading thru the posts) is that the unit is fine until there is some degradation (like rain) and then one tuner goes berzerk. I was sure this was a hard disk failure when this first happened, had it not been for this thread, I probably would have bought a new unit already (maybe not a bad thing!).
PAtivoMan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 09:19 PM   #178 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Quote:
Originally posted by Rojma
Just wanted to let people know that there are some of us out there that are NOT having any problems with the C upgrade, so it is not affecting everyone... (finger crossed)

So far, I'm in that camp as well. No problems on either S1 DVR.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:19 PM   #179 (Print)
njudah

I just called back to the number posted above - they had no record of my earlier call two days ago (figures...)

First they told me about the "favorites program bug", I told them that wasn't the issue - they didn't have information on the current Tivo problem.

..so here is my new tacit. I'm demanding a refund for the days the service has been in operational.

Of course the rep i spoke to say that he couldn't do that, and of course they transfered me to a supervisor. Supervisor claimed that she hadn't heard of the problem, and couldn't create a form per the previous posters instructions.

They agreed to give me a refund for the two days of service (i had called about the issue two days ago), but we were left with the issue of when my service will be considered restored. I suggested that when Tivo sends and update/bug fix (they have the record of when any update goes to my box), I'll consider the issue resolved.

We'll see what happens, but I'm hoping if people start asking for money it will at least make them start communicating with us about the issue, and the real resolution.
njudah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 10:32 PM   #180 (Print)
atarth

I made the call...

Having same issues as everyone else...called the number listed and first spoke with Britney who tried to tell me it was a cable issue. Firmly asked to speak to a manager when a reboot solved the problem and was handed off to Meg. (Both were quite nice, btw, and the only reason I am using their names is to identify the call as they refused to give me a case ID).

Meg was insistent that it was a cabling issue - even though the reboot worked. I tried to inform her that it was quite obvious many other folks were having the same issue, from the input on this site. I tried to have her cross reference the earlier service number given, but she stated that number is not one of "theirs". I then asked for the number for my case but she told me they only tag a case by account number and date. Alas, I've spent the better part of the last 7 years of my life installing these systems for companies like theirs and know darn well there is indeed a unique identifier associated with each call. However, she wouldn't budge and just told me to call back if the problem persists - which I most definitely will.

imho, every other issue I've had with this system over the last 4 years has been pretty minor, but this one has the potential to be a doozy.

Not sure this post will help much, but just thought I'd add my 2 cents...
atarth is offline Report Bad Post Report Post