THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2004, 02:37 PM   #1 (Print)
SafariKC
AudioFaucet

Send a message via AIM to SafariKC Send a message via Yahoo to SafariKC
Referb Tivo Series 2 - $49 bucks - After Rebate

Looks like Tivo is emptying their referb warehouse :-)

Tivo Homepage

woo hoo.

80's are only $99 after rebate.

KC
SafariKC is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 02:49 PM   #2 (Print)
Bierboy
Bald & dumb user

Send a message via AIM to Bierboy
Boy, I guess. Makes my purchase at twice the price a month ago look foolish. But I'm still glad I have one!

Bierboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 02:49 PM   #3 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

there is no question TiVo is trying to unload all the current hardware.
Best BUy has marked some of their ads with the word "clearence" for TiVos.

surely it is not just for the new 140 hour TiVo with the amazing night light feature. BUt the board has been kind of quiet about what is in the works to come next - New Hardware or a merger with some other company or what
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 03:06 PM   #4 (Print)
windracer
Go Tribe!!

Send a message via AIM to windracer Send a message via Yahoo to windracer
Doh! One day after I get a 60hr off of eBay for what I thought was a good price. Arrrgh.

Galleon 2.3.0 on Mandrake Linux 10
windracer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 03:13 PM   #5 (Print)
alyssa

so let's see,
I ordered a refurb for $79 on june 21st; can I return that one & get one of these?

yes, money's tight!
or

Has anyone tried to get the $30 bucks outa tivo yet?
alyssa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 03:19 PM   #6 (Print)
SafariKC
AudioFaucet

Send a message via AIM to SafariKC Send a message via Yahoo to SafariKC
seeing that they have a 30 day money back guarentee.. i bet they would be more than gald to help ya out.

KC

Old 07-15-2004, 03:23 PM   #7 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
They did it for the 99 versus 79 price. I don't see why they wouldn't for this. Remember to ask nicely! And post your experience.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:25 PM   #8 (Print)
markandjenn

What is next is a silver version of 40 hour and 80 hour. There have been many threads on this. The silver versions have software version 5.3. Goodguys already is selling them and buy.com have them on order. The only difference is the software version, which currently allows you to add very large hard drives. TiVo is just clearancing out their old inventory to make room for the new silver units.

Series 1 HDR212 193 Hours - Unsubbed
markandjenn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 03:25 PM   #9 (Print)
ufo4sale

I bought one a couple of weeks ago for the 129 price. I haven't sent in the rebate yet. Could I get it for the 49 dollar price or should I mail the 40 refurb back and get the 80 hour one?
ufo4sale is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 03:31 PM   #10 (Print)
alyssa

Quote:
Originally posted by ashutoshsm
...Remember to ask nicely! And post your experience.

No worries, I'm big on co-opting CService reps to work the system for me. I got stuff to do tonight but will call early tomorrow.
alyssa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 03:49 PM   #11 (Print)
d_anders

Just bought one...

Here's the scoop. With this particular refurb sale, TiVo CS is immediately activating subs on them at the point of sale.

So you have to decide right away on monthly or lifetime, or go with monthly now and later switch...

EDITED POST - ADDED BELOW

I asked specifically about what was going on, and the rep said that they had a lot (3,000+) in the warehouse and they wanted to get them out before since the newly cosmetic models are going through the sales channels.

I specifically asked if there was a new round of hardware (series 3, etc.) and she said, no. She said again that the only new models were the ones with the new cosmetic case features (includes the new 140 hour Series 2) and that's what TiVo was beginning to push through the sales channels. But she did note Manufacturer's like Humax had their offerings coming out too, that also sported a newer look too as well as additional features like DVD recording (similar to the Pioneer unit).

Seems that we're benefiting from the new facelifted models that have identifical function, but place a discount on the older looking models....
like being a previous model year car when the new models are out on the lot...

Last edited by d_anders : 07-15-2004 at 04:00 PM.
d_anders is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #12 (Print)
chrisirmo

I just bought one too. I've been pestering the wife for weeks to get one at $79, so she ran out of reasons to say no!

I asked the rep why they were doing immediate activations, and he said it was because they are losing so much money on these models that they want to make darn sure they get the subscription revenue from them.

chrisirmo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #13 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Quote:
Originally posted by d_anders

Seems that we're benefiting from the new facelifted models that have identifical function, but place a discount on the older looking models....

ALMOST right ... and ALMOST identical. Don't forget the version 5 of the software available on the newer ones, which allows for massive upgrade drives, and (I'm just speculating) possibly other features only supported in V 5.0?

I - for one - would be incredibly ticked off if TiVo2Go REQUIRED version 5.0, and Series 2.0 boxes were incapable of handling that. Anyone know anything concrete - although I agree I'm probably being overly paranoid, considering the rep 'said' that a new Series was not in the off-ing right now. Assuming that was an honest statement, of course

<edit> NM - I did some research. The likelihood that TTG will NOT run on Series 2 with 4.x (or if 5.0 is required, the likelihood that all 4.x boxes WON'T upgrade) is less than 0 Now to decide whether I want a refurb 80 or 40 unit, and place the order! Missing out on the Toshiba 199-50 deal may have beena blessing in disguise (except for the component video and optical digital audio that SA Series 2 machines still lack! Darn!)

Last edited by ashu : 07-15-2004 at 04:20 PM.
ashu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 06:53 PM   #14 (Print)
kensteele

I called Tivo. They gave me a $30 credit on the 40hr refurb price difference.

Since I already had them on the phone, I asked for an HMO refund. Since they had already given me a $50 rebate on that down from $99, they were only able to give me a $20 credit.

I'm happy. Tivo has me for the rest of my natural life so I'm sure it not that big of a deal to at least keep the customer happy. And today, I'm happy.
kensteele is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 06:55 PM   #15 (Print)
susandennis

I ordered the $79 one yesterday afternoon. So just now I called to see what the options were and the very nice lady was quite sympathetic but said that my yesterday order had shipped so the only thing I could do was refused shipment.

The fine print on the website says refusing shipment OR sending it back will incur a 15% restocking fee.

I asked my building manager (live in a condo) to please refused delivery. The nice lady did give me the UPS tracking number. So we'll see.

I ordered the $49 one. I have a 5 year old series I with a lifetime subscription. My original intent was to use the new one for a second as well as a backup.

If the building manager misses the UPS guy then I'll have to decide: send it back or keep it. 3 is overkill in my case but... hey...

susandennis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 07:01 PM   #16 (Print)
susandennis

Kensteele, you rock! I just called Tivo back and told the new nice lady my whole story and how my 'friend, Ken, in Kansas' did the same thing but he simply got $30 credit instead of having to order and refuse, etc.

She hopped right on it and said she would cancel the second order and send me to customer service where they will credit my $30.

fyi - she told me that there is no restocking fee.

I'm on hold but hopeful... Thanks Kensteele!

Old 07-15-2004, 07:38 PM   #17 (Print)
susandennis

I had to wait on hold for a really long time and then the customer service lady who was really nice took another really long time... BUT, $30 credit to my credit card - done deal.

Yahoo!

Old 07-15-2004, 08:31 PM   #18 (Print)
bomberjim

Just walked in the house from Best Buy with my new 40hr Tivo ($109 after rebate). Since I haven't even opened the box, back it goes tomorrow. Just placed an order for a refurb - much thanks to the original poster in this thread. At least I did better this time than when I jumped on the HMO "deal" 45 days before it became free.

As someone above said, I still have some concerns about this. When they put HMO on sale - knowing full well they were going to make it free in the near future, I am now a little "nervous" when Tivo is blowing something out the door. Customer service assured me when I ordered, that this box will be compatible with Tivo-to-GO so I feel better. Just hope I'm not disappointed again.

Jim L
bomberjim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 08:58 PM   #19 (Print)
ldc3000

Quote:
Originally posted by d_anders

EDITED POST - ADDED BELOW

I asked specifically about what was going on, and the rep said that they had a lot (3,000+) in the warehouse and they wanted to get them out before since the newly cosmetic models are going through the sales channels.
[/B]

I don't know what that means to you guys, but to me I take it as meaning that Tivos break down alot. Over 3000 refurbished system in the warehouse. Thats not including units that they have already sold. I'm glad I bought Circuit City's City Protection plan, seems like I might need it.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:54 PM   #20 (Print)
rufus_x_s
Tool of Capitalism

Hi! Long-time lurker here, first time poster. I just bought a unit at $79 a few days ago (thanks to a tip in this same forum!) and was able to get the $30 refund. I referenced tivocommunity.com. The service rep wasn't even aware of the new deal - he asked for a URL and I said it was on the front page. He said it must have just gone up. You guys are quick!

Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla

Last edited by rufus_x_s : 07-15-2004 at 09:59 PM.
rufus_x_s is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 10:08 PM   #21 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Huh - that's odd. I just hung up the phone, after ordering this from a really friendly rep, and she knew exactly what I was talking about when I said "I'm ordering a second TiVo - with the new refurbished price". She immediately got my order info and shipping details, and said my card had been charged 99.99. And to use my email-ed receipt for my $50 rebate, which I was to print online. And she even said I was her second sale (of this deal, during her shift) just to my region in NoVA!

I guess some reps are just more clued in than others

And 3000+ refurb-ed TiVos isn't too many. I'm sure a number of openbox, show and dealer/store demo boxes also get added to the pile, as well as those that look suspicious (didn't boot right when tested before packaging, or didn't have remote or power cable in box, or box shattered/crushed, or cosmetically damaged - before the TiVo itself had a chance to be shipped to a retailer and sold as 'new'.

Which probably also explains why so many people buying refurbs get, essentially, a brand new box/ set of cables and manuls. Because they ARE brand new!

And there are always the clueless (or stupid) Joe Schmoes who buy it from Best Buy/CC and return it within the month, *merely* because its a cool thing to do!

Old 07-15-2004, 10:08 PM   #22 (Print)
ZingZingZingbah

Has anyone or could anyone from Tivo respond to the capabilities of the new units compared to the series 2 units? Is increased hard drive capacity and a new case design the only differences with the series 2 units?
ZingZingZingbah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-15-2004, 11:34 PM   #23 (Print)
sharkster

WOWZER! Thanks for that info. Since I HATE making phone calls I tried emailing them to see if that works. If not, I'll call. I just got my $79 refurb unit yesterday. I hate it when that happens but it is so encouraging to hear that they are so cool about giving people the new price! Maybe I'll buy my husband one now! I've almost got him hooked in!

Three Tivos is not too many for a two person household, is it? LOL
sharkster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 01:36 AM   #24 (Print)
Lila

sharkster - I emailed too. I tried calling, but it's after hours. Please post if you get a response. If I remember I may give them a call tomorrow.

I don't think 3 tivos in a 2 person household is unreasonable. I live alone and have 2!
Lila is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 02:13 AM   #25 (Print)
success2be

TiVo and ReplayTV are having a price ware

http://news.designtechnica.com/article4645.html

Old 07-16-2004, 03:19 AM   #26 (Print)
zeroduck

I just got my refurb tivo today (or, well, it would be yesterday now). . . I already activated it and paid for a month of service.

Any chance I could get them to credit me for the difference?
zeroduck is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 07:20 AM   #27 (Print)
Flowzarus

My $79 TiVo came yesterday and no one was home (sad yesterday, happy today). I called TiVo and asked what the deal was and they said I had to refuse shipment and buy a new one. So I bought the new one and planned to refuse the $79 one....then surfed this site. I see that TiVo worked with some people but from what I just heard, official rule from a meeting yesterday was that there would be no more credits without returns. I'm waiting til 11 to complain to Customer Service (a different #) and will see if they can fix it. But I'm sure UPS will be here at 10:49.

I guess their theory is that people that have received the $79 TiVo will not package it back up for the $30 difference since shipping will take away $10 of that. In my instance though it's a no brainer (although I want my toy NOW NOW NOW!).
Flowzarus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 07:53 AM   #28 (Print)
kensteele

Quote:
Originally posted by zeroduck
I just got my refurb tivo today (or, well, it would be yesterday now). . . I already activated it and paid for a month of service.

Any chance I could get them to credit me for the difference?

Pretty much zero chance to get a credit if you don't call them. It's worth a shot. Refusing shipment/returns don't seem like a good plan to me only to turn around and reorder the exact same product. To me, it's the 30 day rule; for this product, just like any other product. FWIW, the person I talked to on the phone DID have to go back and talk to someone else in order to authorise the credit. Good luck.
kensteele is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 07:58 AM   #29 (Print)
crow
Ub3r Techno Geek

Send a message via AIM to crow
Maybe time to invest in a 2nd TiVo...
Do I need one? maybe, maybe not...
Do I want a 2nd one? Yes...
So why by a 2nd one? Because the wife says I can!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Upgraded to 310 Hours.
All With JavaHMO.
All with TiVoWebPlus/Telnet/FTP/MRV/BackDoors Enabled and Encryption Disabled..

A life? What's that? I have this TiVo, see ... and its all-consuming and all-powerful. And all I can do is stare at the glorious results of its workings.
-- ashutoshsm
crow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 08:14 AM   #30 (Print)
windracer
Go Tribe!!

Send a message via AIM to windracer Send a message via Yahoo to windracer
Quote:
Originally posted by crow
So why by a 2nd one? Because the wife says I can!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought the second without "permission." I will explain to the wife when it arrives ... somehow.

Galleon 2.3.0 on Mandrake Linux 10
windracer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post