July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2004, 09:39 AM   #31 (Print)
tivocat99

Quote:
Originally posted by markandjenn
What is next is a silver version of 40 hour and 80 hour. There have been many threads on this. The silver versions have software version 5.3. Goodguys already is selling them and buy.com have them on order. The only difference is the software version, which currently allows you to add very large hard drives. TiVo is just clearancing out their old inventory to make room for the new silver units.

By any chance are these new silver boxes 17" wide like ALMOST ALL OTHER A/V components in the world?
tivocat99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 10:28 AM   #32 (Print)
sharkster

Lila - Well, in response to your question, I got blown off. I received an email response this morning telling me to "Please call our Customer Support at (877) 367-8486 for assistance in
this matter. They will be able to answer your questions for you."
sharkster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 10:44 AM   #33 (Print)
Lila

sharkster - I just called. The customer service agent had never heard of this offer, but pulled it up when I told him to just check the main tivo.com website. He put me on hold briefly to authorize a credit, came back and confirmed that I would receive the $30 credit in 10-14 business days. A hold time as usual, but it was very painless. I had ordered my unit on 7/7. Good luck!

Last edited by Lila : 07-16-2004 at 10:56 AM.
Lila is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 11:06 AM   #34 (Print)
sharkster

Welllll, I went ahead & called after I posted. After a 25 minute wait I got a nice young man who had to check with accounting. He came back & said that he could offer me a $20 credit. So I said, well, I don't understand. I just talked to a friend who just called over there and they gave her a $30 credit. Why are they offering some people the credit and some people not? So he went back to the acct person & talked then he gave me to that rep. The new guy reiterated the $20 offer. I repeated what I had told the first guy & he went and 'checked it out'. He then came back & offered me the $30 credit. Whew! Thank You, Daniel!
sharkster is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 11:58 AM   #35 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
What is next is a silver version of 40 hour and 80 hour. There have been many threads on this. The silver versions have software version 5.3. Goodguys already is selling them and buy.com have them on order. The only difference is the software version, which currently allows you to add very large hard drives. TiVo is just clearancing out their old inventory to make room for the new silver units.

could be that box is the new one they are making room ofr but the only difference people noted in those threads hardware wise is the case and the night light thing on the front.

Yes it has a new software version but know one knew of any reason current series 2 boxes could not run it.

So that is not much aof a hardware change - I am wondering if there is a more significant hardware change coming ?
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 12:22 PM   #36 (Print)
jmace57
Large Member

Heck, I think I'd give $49 just for a drive with a good image on it.

...must...resist...

Thinking of who I know that I could to give as a cool gift. (no, NOT you guys!)

140 Hour TiVo SA Series 2
jmace57 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 12:55 PM   #37 (Print)
kettledrum

I've been resisting all of the great offers up til now ($79 refurb, $149 HD400), but now this may be the one that breaks me!!

What's a guy to do?
kettledrum is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 12:58 PM   #38 (Print)
JuryDuty
Tivoholic

Hey--this is a great price. Now that HMO is free, I'm gonna do it. I have lifetime on my main unit, and for $6.95/month for a second unit with free HMO, I'll do it just so I no longer have to mess with schedule conflicts! Sweet!

Old 07-16-2004, 01:06 PM   #39 (Print)
Monolyth710
TiVo Generation

Send a message via Yahoo to Monolyth710
count me in!

Count me in! Can't pass up this deal. I'm sure the wife will understand.

Netgear WG111 Wireless Adapters
Monolyth710 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 02:05 PM   #40 (Print)
Crrink

I just called, had to wait on hold for about 10 minutes.
Spoke to a very friendly, very competent CSR who agreed to credit the $30 difference no problem.

She asked if I'd mind taking a survey to rate their service and I told her I would only because she was so nice - unfortunately I don't think she transferred me correctly because after waiting about 30 seconds, I was disconnected.
Too bad, she deserves credit for doing her job well - TiVoOpsMgr, I do have a tracking number for my credit - I'd be happy to send it to you so that the good CSR's you guys have are better recognized.

One last thing. I know that TiVo doesn't directly run the CS company that we deal with on the phones. Still, it's extremely irritating to me that when people call in regarding the same issue, they get different answers and different levels of service. Reading any of the HMO refund threads will show you just how common this is.
I realize that a CSR may be willing to do a little more for some really persistent person who refuses to take no for an answer, but in cases like this I think someone at TiVo ought to come up with a definitive policy and instruct your CS agency to adhere to it. If that is what you guys are doing, it's not working.
It just isn't right that people call requesting a price match within the return window and are told one of the following:
-No problem, $30 credit on its way
-Sorry, we don't price match
-If you want the new price, you have to intercept UPS and refuse delivery, then reorder
-If you want the new price, you have to return/rebuy, and have fun paying for shipping back to us!

The only answers that should ever be giving are either #1 or #2, but #2 makes no sense when you offer a 30 day return policy on both the hardware and the service agreement.
Crrink is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 02:05 PM   #41 (Print)
alyssa

Quote:
Originally posted by jmace57

...must...resist...

Thinking of who I know that I could to give as a cool gift.

Gift..... Christmas....oh crap,

resistance is futile
<sigh>

edited to include the following;
I just got off the phone with tivo, the CSR was very helpful and promised the $30 refund would be credited to my card in 10-14 days.

Last edited by alyssa : 07-16-2004 at 02:27 PM.
alyssa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 03:03 PM   #42 (Print)
JPA2825

No worries for me. $30 credit obtained w/ no wailing, crying or gnashing of teeth.

That said, if I were King of TiVo-land, I would not give back $. I'd say, "assuming you'd have to pay $10 to ship it back, we'd be happy to give you $20 credit toward your monthly subscription fees or if you've already activated and purchased lifetime, then give you $20 credit to cc.
JPA2825 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 06:36 PM   #43 (Print)
skaeight

I bought a refurb for $79 at the beginning of july which I thought was a great deal. My jaw dropped last night when I went to the tivo page. $49, I was kicking my self in the ass because the same thing happened when I bought my first one. A few days after I bought it they introduced a $50 rebate.

Anyways, I called tivo today and ended up getting the $30 refund. I'm very happy now. I love that I got a tivo for $49. Tivo is a very nice company, I don't know of anyone else that would be willing to do this. They must really want to get rid of these older series 2's.
skaeight is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 07:49 PM   #44 (Print)
markandjenn

I had been on the fence with a $79 40 hour refurb or a new silver 40 hour, but at $49 I went and bought 2 today. I can't wait for MRV!

Series 1 HDR212 193 Hours - Unsubbed
markandjenn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 09:41 PM   #45 (Print)
melaniee

Good Customer Service

I had just received my 40 hour at $99.00 and went to the website to see how to activate it and saw they were now $49.00.

I called to see if I could get a credit - they said I could send it back and order a new one - kind of expected that - decided to get 2 - the person who helped me was great (she spoke english!) then she transferred me to the RMA department so I could send the one I just got back - the gal in the rma department offered to cancel 1 of my new orders and credit me $50.00 for the one I already had!!!

So that's what I did - but today I had a message that they didn't get one of the new ones cancelled before it shipped - she told me to refuse the shipment on one of them and it will be fine.

This is my first experience with TIVO - and I have to say I'm impressed so far - we'll see if I get my $50 credit and if refusing the shipment will also work.. fingers crossed.
melaniee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2004, 11:59 PM   #46 (Print)
Gai-jin

Hmm... I just ordered mine. They said 99, no shipping charge. They never asked to activate it immediately. Got my e-receipt already.

Also, does it seem odd that when I was about to hang up the guy said:

"Thank you for calling XM Radio" ???

Gai-jin
Gai-jin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-17-2004, 08:33 AM   #47 (Print)
stantonl

Been debating for the last couple of days on getting another unit. 49$ sealed the deal for me. Thinking a should buy one for an early x-mas present for somebody.
stantonl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-17-2004, 08:36 AM   #48 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
Quote:
Originally posted by Gai-jin

Also, does it seem odd that when I was about to hang up the guy said:

Ah-hah! Very odd, but mighty interesting! Lets see what comes off this - if they let you receive XM over TiVo - that would be a killer deal indeed! (Just fishing/assuming here - since they are already using the same CS compny )

Old 07-17-2004, 10:11 AM   #49 (Print)
ellinj
Quack

Send a message via AIM to ellinj
Quote:
Originally posted by Gai-jin

Gai-jin

The guy either worked for XM in the past and was confused or its possible that the order center shares a function with XM. When a caller calls in the screen tells him which script to read. Again he may have gotten confused.

Old 07-17-2004, 11:40 AM   #50 (Print)
jmorgans

After trying to convince me that $79 - $49 = $20, they finally gave in and gave me the $30 credit. I did have to drop Ken's name, so thank you Ken!
jmorgans is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-17-2004, 12:23 PM   #51 (Print)
coldtoes
vermicious knid

Anyone know whether these are TCD24004As, TCD240040s, or a mix (won't know 'till you get it)?

Old 07-17-2004, 12:51 PM   #52 (Print)
simonalope

I'd congratulate myself on dithering so long about the $79 deal that I ended up with a $49 TiVo instead, except I'm sure within weeks we'll all be wishing we'd waited for those amazing $9.99 refurb units
DirecTV isn't an option for me, so $50 + $7/month is pretty good for a "dual tuner" upgrade to my current SD-H400. And now I can discover the joys of the peanut, 30s skip, and HD upgradeability!

Oh, and remember how TiVo is so big on calling these "factory-renewed," not refurbished? Guess what shows up on the order confirmation:
[1] Discounted 40 hour refurb + MSD, $99.99
Ha!
simonalope is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-17-2004, 01:19 PM   #53 (Print)
markandjenn

coldtoes - I don't know if this is the definitive answer, but I ordered 2 and am going to upgrade one of them with the weaknees kit. I asked weaknees if these are "A"'s or not. They said that I would have to wait and see before I ordered the TwinBreeze. They said they could be "A"s and they may not.

Series 1 HDR212 193 Hours - Unsubbed
markandjenn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-17-2004, 02:05 PM   #54 (Print)
drosoph
Distinguished Member

Send a message via AIM to drosoph Send a message via Yahoo to drosoph
I just grabbed an 80 hour for the wife .. and am retiring the old series 1 to the kids' room !

Old 07-17-2004, 02:17 PM   #55 (Print)
kensteele

tivo sku: r2404b
model: tcd240040
kensteele is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-17-2004, 04:05 PM   #56 (Print)
coldtoes
vermicious knid

Quote:
They said they could be "A"s and they may not.
Well, I just placed my order and that is the case. Could be either one and you won't know 'till you get it. So I can't order that TwinBreeze right away either.
coldtoes is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-17-2004, 04:57 PM   #57 (Print)
ufo4sale

Quote:
Originally posted by drosoph
I just grabbed an 80 hour for the wife .. and am retiring the old series 1 to the kids' room !

Well the kids should be happy.
ufo4sale is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-17-2004, 06:53 PM   #58 (Print)
dolcevita

Boy, am I glad I came in to print out the rebate form before hooking up the Toshiba I bought at Best Buy earlier this month. I've been having second thoughts about it and was thinking I'd buy the 140 hr Amazon has on sales instead.

At this price, I WILL but one for the porch -- for $50, who cares it the humidity shortens it's life!! May be time to replace the Series 1 I have in the beroom too, which uses an external modem. Decisions, decisions...
dolcevita is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-17-2004, 09:19 PM   #59 (Print)
jmace57
Large Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by drosoph
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is a terrible thing to call your wife - "the old Series 1"

Cheers

140 Hour TiVo SA Series 2
jmace57 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #60 (Print)
Gai-jin

Re: XM Radio comment

I called him on his error, and asked if he took calls for more than one company. He said no, and that he had just bought an xm earlier that day, had the box sitting on his desk, and had 'xm on the brain'.

Not sure I believe him, but he covered quickly at least.
Gai-jin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post