TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2004, 06:15 AM   #61 (Print)
cluteman

I bought my first TiVo at Best Buy last month for $170 (40 hr.).. just got off the phone 10 minutes ago with TiVo to purchase a refurbished 80 hr. for $150

Can't wait until the $50 checks arrive in the mail.

Thanks TiVo!!
cluteman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2004, 11:52 AM   #62 (Print)
blackh8552

Purchased the 40 hour refub for $79 7/6. Saw this thread Called tivo they said I was within my 30 day return policy and instead of returning they issued me a $30 credit directly to my cc within 10-14 days. Gave me a case number and I even took the idot survey. Total call time 5minutes 3 seconds from when I dialed. Im happy. I also asked why so cheap? They said they have alot of refurb's in stock and the new 140 hour model is another reason.
blackh8552 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2004, 05:35 PM   #63 (Print)
bitTraveler

Thanks for the post! The last bit of incentive needed to get my sis to join the TiVolution. Chalk up another 80 with lifetime.

bit

Old 07-18-2004, 07:30 PM   #64 (Print)
crow
Ub3r Techno Geek

Send a message via AIM to crow
I used this opportunity to buy my 2nd 80hr unit.. Viva La TiVo!!!!!
crow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2004, 11:43 PM   #65 (Print)
richklein

Quote:
Originally posted by bomberjim
Just walked in the house from Best Buy with my new 40hr Tivo ($109 after rebate). Since I haven't even opened the box, back it goes tomorrow. Just placed an order for a refurb - much thanks to the original poster in this thread. At least I did better this time than when I jumped on the HMO "deal" 45 days before it became free.

As someone above said, I still have some concerns about this. When they put HMO on sale - knowing full well they were going to make it free in the near future, I am now a little "nervous" when Tivo is blowing something out the door. Customer service assured me when I ordered, that this box will be compatible with Tivo-to-GO so I feel better. Just hope I'm not disappointed again.

Jim L

Did I miss something? Is the Home Media Option now free for any Series 2 owner? I have been on the fence about getting a refurb series 2 since I have 1 series 2 & 2 series 1's.

I would get rid of a series 1 for a series 2 if that HMO is really free.

So, is it free?
richklein is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-18-2004, 11:58 PM   #66 (Print)
kensteele

So, is it free?
kensteele is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 07:05 AM   #67 (Print)
crow
Ub3r Techno Geek

Send a message via AIM to crow
To the best of my knowledge yes... TiVo was going to make a pay type service but opted to offer it as a feature.. Although, I've not received my 2nd unit yet I have went through the basic setup on my current S2 to add the new as a server... Looks like it will be rather easy to get things rolling..

1 Upgraded to 310 Hours.
All With JavaHMO.
All with TiVoWebPlus/Telnet/FTP/MRV/BackDoors Enabled and Encryption Disabled..

A life? What's that? I have this TiVo, see ... and its all-consuming and all-powerful. And all I can do is stare at the glorious results of its workings.
-- ashutoshsm
crow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 09:08 AM   #68 (Print)
alyssa

Hmo is free & what's more multi room viewing is great! I would highly recommend a wired network& a usb 2.0 adapter, if you're planing on doing a lot of transfering between units.
alyssa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 09:25 AM   #69 (Print)
Gai-jin

?? It was my understanding the usb ports on tivo aren't enabled for 2.0 in the software. Has this changed? If not, why would a 2.0 adapter make a difference?
Gai-jin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 09:28 AM   #70 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
It wouldn't. They're still USB 1.1 enabled, leading to a peak 12MBPS (theoretical) speed. For all practical purposes - no quicker than a 10MBPS connection. which is enough for realtime Best transfer (I'm told - and hoping - refurb unit and adapter on the way!), IFF you use wired connections throughout (neither TiVo wirelessly linked to the other).

Old 07-19-2004, 09:39 AM   #71 (Print)
simonalope

Some people have reported better HMO performance from USB 2.0 adapters - even though the TiVo unit is only treating them as USB 1.1, the theory is that the 2.0 hardware is better and gets you closer to maximum possible 1.1 transfer speed. Don't take my word for it, I haven't tested it, but if you're interested, go run a search for "usb 2.0" in the HMO forum.
Also, there isn't much of a price difference between 1.1 and 2.0 adapters, and it's likely TiVo will eventually update their drivers, so why buy outdated hardware?
simonalope is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 09:55 AM   #72 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Fair enuff. I did order a 2.0 device for my new TiVo (the tiny Linksys one - forget the model number). However my old Series 2 is hooked up via a Belkin F5050 (or similar moniker?) USB 1.1 device. MP3 streaming and picture viewing is plenty fast enough, but I haven't tried MRV yet!

Old 07-19-2004, 10:50 AM   #73 (Print)
bud8man
Tivo Evangelist

Send a message via AIM to bud8man Send a message via Yahoo to bud8man
I also jumped on the second unit for $49. Figure this will be the one I hack and add a weeknees drive to it.
Instead of multi-room, I was going to use it as a second receiver.
I have cable, so I would put my 80 hr as my main unit with the digital channels, then the hacked box as a second receiver with out the digital channels, or I might just rent a second reciever from cable co. for the second unit.
Then I plan on cableing to the second TV in the Bedroom and using either the RadioSwack wireless setup, or something similar to get the signal to the second tv....
Who am I kidding...probably just set up MRV with cables to my network...but I really think I am onto something....

Old 07-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #74 (Print)
CharlesH

The process for getting the lower price on the refurbs after paying the higher price seems to be:

1) Call TiVo and mention that you bought one at the $99 price, but you want to take advantage of the $49 price.

2) CSR says that you will have to utilize the 30-day return policy and return the $99 one and order the $49 one; transfer to "return" dept.

3) Listen to about 10 minutes of pretty classical music.

4) Return department says "how about if we just credit your charge card by $50?" You say "sure", and they take your credit card number.

5) Listen to about 5 minutes of pretty classical music.

6) CSR comes back on the line with your incident numbers and tells you that your credit will show up in a few days.

I wonder why they cannot just skip steps (2) and (3)?
CharlesH is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 02:17 PM   #75 (Print)
biship

Send a message via ICQ to biship Send a message via AIM to biship
Bought a $79 referb 25 days ago. Just called TiVO. Waited 2mins for a rep, she put me on hold for 4min and afterwards, told me to wait 10-15 days for the $30 refund to appear on my CC. Simple and Painless. TiVO rocks.
biship is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 02:34 PM   #76 (Print)
chrisirmo

When I bought my $49 refurb, they told me they would activate the box before shipping. They got my email address to make sure it was connected to the right account, and to expect it to show up on Manage My Account within 2 or 3 days. It's been 4 days and the box arrived today, but there is still only one DVR showing under Manage My Account.

Should I just go ahead and activate it like you normally would or should I leave it unsubbed for a few days and see if they get it activated like they said they would?

chrisirmo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 06:44 PM   #77 (Print)
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

goodguys has an open box 40 TiVo's for $59 but no rebate, because there is no UPC.. but good price

Last edited by MediaLivingRoom : 07-19-2004 at 07:05 PM.
MediaLivingRoom is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 07:04 PM   #78 (Print)
ellinj
Quack

Send a message via AIM to ellinj
Just ordered mine.

Old 07-19-2004, 07:07 PM   #79 (Print)
MediaLivingRoom
Special Ed Student

looked up the OEM Price for a 40GB HD is about $37.99, so $10+ more you get TiVo. lol

Old 07-19-2004, 08:41 PM   #80 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Quote:
Originally posted by MediaLivingRoom
goodguys has an open box 40 TiVo's for $59 but no rebate, because there is no UPC.. but good price

Does TiVo limit the number of rebates per household? If so - this might be a good option for a second, third etc TiVo now

Old 07-19-2004, 08:45 PM   #81 (Print)
htbyron

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesH Edited by me
The process for getting the lower price on the refurbs after paying the higher price seems to be:

1) Call TiVo Sales Support (877-289-8486); the number listed on the bottom of the Packing Slip/Sales Receipt; listen to about 10 minutes of pretty classical music; mention that you bought one at the $79 price, but you want to take advantage of the $49 price.

2) CSR says that is not possible; ask again because Tivo did this for some other people you "know" (not mentioning that by "know" you mean read posts from on this forum); get put on hold so CSR can check into this; get cut off when CSR drops the line.

2.5) Call back; listen to about 5 minutes of pretty classical music; ask again; get told that you have to talk to customer service about this; get transferred.

3) Listen to about 10 minutes of pretty classical music.

4) Customer Service department checks to make sure your purchase was within the last 30 days, then says "We will issue a $30 credit to the card that you use for monthly billing; it should be posted within 10-14 days." That's all there is to it!

So I guess the lesson is don't call the sales support; just call regular cusomter service. Thanks again to this forum for saving me a total of $80 over retail!
htbyron is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 08:46 PM   #82 (Print)
Gai-jin

Just got my shipping confirmation. . . the call center rep said it'd ship from knoxville tn, so hopefully will have it in 1-2 days even with ground shipping.
Gai-jin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 09:02 PM   #83 (Print)
bob61

FYI - I purchased two of these. My first one came in dead as a doornail, unit wouldn't even power-up. Check inside all connections were good. Tivo replaced for me with NEW unit. Second unit arrived no problem.

These are definately not new based on my two units, the cables are retied, not the same package you get new (the NEW unit Tivo shipped was definately new based on packaging).

Still, for the price no big deal, go with the deep discount now on refurbished, quality of the unit in appearance is just like new.
bob61 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-20-2004, 09:57 AM   #84 (Print)
drosoph
Distinguished Member

Send a message via AIM to drosoph Send a message via Yahoo to drosoph
Couple of questions:

When will I see the new TiVo in my online account .. they did mention it would arrive pre-activated (lifetime).

When will the HMO be enabled? Take a few days or immediate ?

Old 07-20-2004, 10:28 AM   #85 (Print)
chrisirmo

Mine was not pre-activated when it arrived (monthly), so I went ahead and did it online myself last night.

The Music & Photos option did not show up until I manually connected a few times and then let it sit overnight. I was however able to use remote scheduling immediately after activating it, even though it showed that it was inactive in the system information.

MRV has to be activated separately under Manage my Account, and I did that on both of my TiVos last night when I activated the second one. As of this morning when I left for work it was not active on either one.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:31 PM   #86 (Print)
Rankinfile
Re-Member

Just got confirmation that my refurb shipped yesterday. In the email it says that I must activate the TiVo service upon arrival using my service number even though when I ordered they asked me if I wanted monthly or one time activation. Do they not charge your credit card until you activate the service once your machine arrives? Just wondering...
Rankinfile is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-20-2004, 12:43 PM   #87 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Hmm - mine should arrive today, and they DID say they wanted to activtae it when I ordered.

But my email also says I need to activate it myself. And my card was only charged for the device, not the additional service fee (neither full nor discounted). If it arrives unactivated, I'll jump online and add it instantly, rather than wait around! Or maybe I'll hook it in and complete Guided setup first?

Old 07-20-2004, 02:21 PM   #88 (Print)
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Folks,

If you purchase through this program, please ignore the e-mail and Guided Setup screen notices that say you have to activate. That's our normal process, but for these specially-priced factory-renewed units, activation is done separately, automatically. (We couldn't change those messages in time for this special program.) Apologies for any confusion. This point should have been made clear by the sales agent's script; sorry if they didn't communicate this point clearly.

Also, these units should be activated by the time they arrive. But if for some reason you don't see it activated, please do not try to activate on your own -- they will all be activated within 48 hours. Remember that you get a 7-day grace period, so you won't be missing out.

Note that the unit cost and the activation will always be charged separately. (We can't charge for activation until after the unit ships and we know the TiVo Service Number.) So you will see two separate charges.

Chrisirmo, sorry that your unit arrived and was not pre-activated. It would have been activated today but of course since you activated on your own, it kicked out as an exception. In general, almost all of these units did arrive pre-activated, but a small handful that were ordered Thursday like yours didn't get processed until this morning; we apologize for the delay. We've streamlined our process so that the rest of these units should always arrive pre-activated.

If anyone is having any trouble, please let me know. Thanks for taking advantage of this special offer!

Best regards,
Stephen

Edit: To clarify that sales agents should be providing this info

NOTE: Due to the volume of Private Messages I received, I constantly had a full inbox, so I have disabled Private Messages. Please send me an e-mail instead. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr : 07-20-2004 at 02:53 PM.
TiVoOpsMgr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-20-2004, 02:24 PM   #89 (Print)
chrisirmo

Thanks for the reply Stephen, I guess I'm just a little impatient! I hope I didn't cause too many problems.

Old 07-20-2004, 02:43 PM   #90 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Ahhh - Stephen rocks! Like I said (in another thread, a long time ago, in a forum ...) - pally Big Brother is watching, and good things do happen

Wahh - I want to go home! My TiVo just arrived UPS (ordered Thursday late at night!) and is now sitting behind me in my cubicle. I've already Tivo-ngelized to two colleagues who asked what it was, and I have successfully convinced my roommate/landlord to buy another one. I feel good ...