Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2004, 06:35 PM   #1 (Print)
acacia
OccasionalTivoHacker

Ever wanted an RSS Feed *from* your TiVo? Here's how...

I don't know how useful anyone will find this, but here goes...

I've written a TiVoWeb module (attached - don't forget to rename it to rss.itcl when you copy it to your tivoweb-tcl/modules directory) which allows your TiVo to serve an RSS feed telling you what it's watching or recording. Simply fire up your RSS aggregator (I tested this with Feedreader) and enter the URL of your new TiVo What's On RSS feed in the following format:

http://yourtivoaddress:yourtivowebport/rss/

The default for yourtivowebport is 80, and unless you have changed it in tivoweb.cfg (see note) it can be omitted, leaving the form:

http://yourtivoaddress/rss/

instead.

What it does:

It outputs a formatted RSS2.0 feed of what is currently being shown or recorded on your TiVo. With Feedreader set to update this feed every,say, 15 minutes, you can automatically keep track of what your TiVo is watching from your PC screen via Feedreader popups instead of opening a whole browser window, and navigating through to the right place in TivoWeb.

How it does it:

I basically hacked the info.itcl module and selected what I wanted and put the XML RSS formatting in. That's all, folks. Not rocket science.
It calls register_module "rss" "" "" - the two blank parameters cause the function not to show up in the TiVoWeb menu, but the function can still be called via http://yourtivoaddress:yourtivowebport/rss/

Why I did it:

To see if I could. I wanted my PC to tell me what TiVo was doing. I googled for RSS and TiVo and only found an RSS reader app for TiVo -exactly the opposite of what I had in mind!

As I said, I don't know how useful this will be to anyone else, but any feedback would be most welcome. I guess for those who like me don't automatically record recommendations, finding out what the TiVo thinks we might like during the day *in time to hit record* might lead to new and varied ways of wasting our lives watching more repeats of 70's & 80's "classic TV"... Whatever.

Note: Password protection on tivoweb (via entries in tivoweb.cfg) is recommended if you plan to make your tivoweb accessible outside your local LAN.

Share & Enjoy.

Jonathan.
Attached Files
File Type: txt rss.itcl.txt (6.9 KB, 349 views)

Last edited by acacia : 07-17-2004 at 07:02 PM.
acacia is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2004, 11:08 AM   #2 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Fofer
I love it -- great work Jonathan!

However, I would love to see something like this for my "Now Playing" list. I'd really like to be able to fire up my favorite RSS reader -- NetNewsWire on OS X -- and see what shows are waiting for me. If you're still developing this, please accept my thanks and take my suggestion into consideration.

Kudos!
Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-17-2004, 07:15 AM   #3 (Print)
Quinten
dutch tivo bloke

Very nice! Installed with no problem on my UK TiVo with TivoWebPlus.

Old 10-18-2004, 03:25 PM   #4 (Print)
acacia
OccasionalTivoHacker

Fofer,

if you want that, just edit the file and change

http://yourtivoaddress:yourtivowebport

to

http://yourtivoaddress:yourtivowebport/nowshowing

Easy.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:22 AM   #5 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally posted by acacia
Fofer,

if you want that, just edit the file and change
to

Hey, thanks for the reply, that's pretty cool. And so I tried this, editing the rss.itcl file so that every instance of
is now
instead.

I copied this file over to the modules dir, and did a Quick Reload of TiVoWebPlus.
The resulting RSS however still just shows was is currently playing. In fact the only difference is that now it only shows the description and not the show name itself.

Any other tips? Thanks!
Old 10-19-2004, 12:41 PM   #6 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Addendum: I think I figured it out, I uncommented those lines and now see the link you're referring to. Thanks for that.

But indeed it shows up as a "link" that when clicked, loads the HTML page. What I was hoping for was a true RSS feed with each item in the Now Playing list showing up as an individual article. (That way one could use an RSS reader, refreshing regularly, to monitor what the TiVo has recorded and what's available to watch, moving down the list reading the show descriptions, etc.)

I'm more interested in keeping track of what's in my Now Playing list (or potentially, my To Do list or Recording History) then I am in seeing what's playing "right now."

I realize this is outside of the scope of your current rss.itcl module, but when I first saw it, my mind started racing and I got excited about what it could possibly do in the future. I'd love to see a fully RSS-enabled version of TiVoWebPlus.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:49 PM   #7 (Print)
acacia
OccasionalTivoHacker

I use FeedReader. I leave it running, updating the Tivo RSS feed every 10 mins. The rss module as written results in a list of those things which are being recorded (prefixed REC) as well as those just on at the time (LIVE). In each "article" I see the description and the link to take me to TivoWeb. If you have your RSS reader set to directly show the article link you will lose the program details and just see tivoweb...

Because the module only sends updates when what is currently happening on your Tivo has changed, you will only build up the contents of your Now Playing list if you leave it your RSS reader polling for changes every 10 mins or so... Ignore the LIVE: entries (I can edit the code to prevent them appearing if you wish) and you will eventually build up a list in your reader of what is on your TiVo...

I'm not sure what you're after. You ought to be able to see the things you want? What reader are you using on which platform? What are you seeing? (attach a screendump?) What do you *want* to see, and where?

What do you mean by "fully RSS enabled?"

Jonathan

Last edited by acacia : 10-19-2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:32 PM   #8 (Print)
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

So how do you connect if you're going through a reverse proxy server like orenosp? My URL is something like https://myname.dnseraddress:xxxxx/ and I get a 404 when I append rss/ to it. This is after the connection has been established with username and password.

PortlandPaw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 04:10 PM   #9 (Print)
acacia
OccasionalTivoHacker

Not sure - although.... (forgive, but just checking the obvious)

you say : https://myname.dnseraddress:xxxxx/

Are you sure it's not just that you have mistyped that

https://myname.dnseraddress.com:xxxxx/

??? Might that be the cause of your 404?

My own RSS feed is accessed simply via http://somealias.dyndns.org:myport/rss

I don't use a reverse proxy, though I do have a working Apache install which I might poke around with....

Last edited by acacia : 10-19-2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:53 PM   #10 (Print)
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

No, actually, I cut and pasted my TivoWeb URL just to be sure...it's exactly the way I access any of the other TW modules, only with "rss" in place of the module name, such as "ui"

(no offense taken!)

PortlandPaw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-19-2004, 05:13 PM   #11 (Print)
acacia
OccasionalTivoHacker

I *think* (from the initial look at the docs I've googled on reverse proxies) it might be because the output from the rss module is not HTML, but actually XML (RSS 2.0) ? Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Further digging & experimentation required...
Old 12-26-2004, 08:59 AM   #12 (Print)
davew666

This is an attempt to get an RSS/XML feed from the Now Playing screen. The code originally came from some guy who was outputting HTML from there for his web site but I've lost the link - I can't take credit for the script - I have simply altered it's output so that my RSS reader will pick it up. If anyone recognises the script please post a reply so the original author gets credit for it.

As far as going through reverse proxies go, I bypassed that problem by using a pc that is on all the time to fetch the page from the tivo and upload it via ftp to somewhere on the net - it does this every 10 minutes at the moment. I used the freely available WGET application to save the output from the tivo as a particular file - eg. tivo_nowplaying.xml and upload that using a script.

If anyone has done a better version of this please post it - this is a bit quick and dirty and I expect some news readers wont want to read it. I was using Carp on a web server and that handles it.

// Code moved to post below to tidy this thread up
  • Note added - I found where the original scripts came from - http://www.hitormiss.org/projects/tivo/ - I'll add comments to my scripts to acknowlege this as this guy did all the hard work first, I just converted the output to RSS

Last edited by davew666 : 12-28-2004 at 12:13 PM.
davew666 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2004, 11:28 AM   #13 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Looks good, davew666. I saved this as a itcl (tivoweb module) and installed it. Now when I go to the resulting page in my webbrowser, I do see a string of text that appears to be all of the descriptions from the recordings in my NP list. (No titles though.) And when I take that page and enter it as a feed in my RSS reader (NetNewsWire on Mac OS X) nothing shows up. I also tried to access it via Sage (an RSS extension for the Firefox browser) but nothing came up there either.

Anything else I could try? I was going to install an RSS reader on the PC I never use just to test it out, but since I didn't see titles in the web output I wondered if I might be doing something wrong. Please forgive my ignorance and thanks for any feedback.

Thanks for sharing your work on this, and happy holidays!
Old 12-27-2004, 04:39 AM   #14 (Print)
davew666

It looks like text in the browser, but if you use an option to see the source you should see the formatted RSS.

There are problems with the above code definitely. I tried it with a few newsreaders but the one I wanted to get it working with - Carp (which is a PHP program for web servers that want to display feeds) - does work.

I think in order to do this properly, I'd need to get hold of the spec for one of the new current standards - atom / rss2.0 - and try and output that. This was based on code in the original rss output above which is basic.

Another problem is tidying up the titles and descriptions to make sure that they don't contain illegal characters - anyone know the TCL so that I can replace the & characters in a string with & a m p (without the spaces - had to type it in like that for the forum to display it!) ?

Using Feed Validator dot org (I can't post links until I've posted 5 messages!!!) - the only error I'm getting now is illegal characters like & being in the title and description - they need converting so that the & a m p version - there were some other errors that I've fixed, so when I've sorted this one out I'll post the results - I've actually done a To Do List as well as Now Playing but I can't get rid of those &'s - I don't know this TCL thing very well

Last edited by davew666 : 12-27-2004 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:52 AM   #15 (Print)
davew666

Sorry, need post count up to 5
Old 12-27-2004, 05:54 AM   #16 (Print)
davew666

And again - results next when I can post link!
Old 12-27-2004, 05:55 AM   #17 (Print)
davew666

A bit more success! ... (This is my To Do and Now Showing feeds in Newsgator)

The files can be found here... I'll upload any fixes and improvements to this page too...

http://blog.dave.wild.name/downloads.php

The problem with outputting & symbols remains though and I imagine some news readers will not like it because of that. Any help appreciated!

Last edited by davew666 : 12-29-2004 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:58 PM   #18 (Print)
kill9

Wow, this is quite slick, and looks well worth giving a reverse proxy another try again.

Thanks!
kill9 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2004, 02:50 PM   #19 (Print)
davew666

I've used these scripts to create a few pages on my web site -

This page lists the first 10 items in each view:- http://blog.dave.wild.name/tivo.php -

The "More.." links on that page show the above feeds with full descriptions from Tivo
Old 12-31-2004, 04:48 AM   #20 (Print)
derekbuck

I must be doing something wrong...

FTP'd rss.itcl to /var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/modules dir, chmod 755 rss.itcl, quick reload tivoweb.

RSSReader, Add feed ht tp://tivo/rss (Ignore space...need to post more often), get error...

Feed contains an XML syntax error:

The '$' character, hexadecimal value 0x24, cannot begin with a name. Line 12, position 19.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Del.
derekbuck is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-31-2004, 10:59 PM   #21 (Print)
rocketman24

Dave,

I've downloaded and installed zz_todo.itcl and zz_nowshowing.itck from your website and installed it in the modules directory of tivowebplus (1.1pre2). Neither will load. Getting the following errors in the log file:
Quote:
zz_nowshowing
NONE extra characters after close-quote
while compiling
"<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "_snip_/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">..."
(file "./modules/zz_nowshowing.itcl" line 2)
invoked from within
"source $module "
zz_todo
NONE extra characters after close-quote
while compiling
"<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "_snip_/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">..."
(file "./modules/zz_todo.itcl" line 2)
invoked from within
"source $module "
Accepting Connections

I had to clip the urls above for posting.

Anyway, if I remove all of the HTML from the itcl file, the module will load, but my rss readers report that rss is not valid.

Please advise!!
rocketman24 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2005, 09:25 AM   #22 (Print)
davew666

Quote:
Originally posted by derekbuck
Feed contains an XML syntax error:

The '$' character, hexadecimal value 0x24, cannot begin with a name. Line 12, position 19.
Any luck with this? While testing the feeds above I had many errors and this could be down to simply having a $ character in a program title for example.

It does suggest that something is being produced. You might want to use the 'view source' option in your browser to see the actual text that is being produced to see what is on line 12 of it because it all gets formatted by browsers making debugging difficult!
Old 01-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #23 (Print)
davew666

Rocketman,

RE: Problem above, the problem is with my download script treating them as html pages - doh!!! VERY VERY SORRY everyone.

You can download them from here...
use right-click and save as... to avoid any further unpleasantness!

http://files.dave.wild.name/sitelis...nowshowing.itcl
http://files.dave.wild.name/sitelisted/zz_todo.itcl

I'll fixe that page asap.

As far as not being valid goes, I only did enough to get them to read by using Carp Evolution (a PHP caching RSS parser) - I think the code needs tidying up to be more robust. One of the main problems is titles and descriptions containing a £ symbol makes the feed invalid - these need handling when the feed is produced ideally.

Last edited by davew666 : 01-05-2005 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:37 AM   #24 (Print)
rocketman24

OK, I'll give this a try later today.

How often should I see a new feed entry?

Also, must the itcl files have the "register" entry at the end for it to work? Just curious, as removing it will probably get rid of the ugle blank menu entry.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:44 AM   #25 (Print)
davew666

whoops .. duplicate post somehow
Old 01-04-2005, 09:44 AM   #26 (Print)
davew666

You're probably right about the register thing - to be honest, getting these this far was more luck than judgement!!

I'll give it a go getting rid of those register lines because they're not likely to get looked at in the menu once it's up and working.

The odd thing is that the old RSS tivo status hack appears in the menu as a link without a title - I don't know if it needs to be there to work or not. I suppose there's only one way to find out

As far as time of updates go, every time your reader requests the feed it is generated, so if anything on the tivo has changed it will be reflected.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:09 AM   #27 (Print)
rocketman24

I'm not certain about the register thing. I wouldn't take it out permenantly until you know for sure the itcl will still execute without it.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:43 AM   #28 (Print)
seven5
Jon Maddox

This is GREAT. i've been waiting for this forever! good job dave.

One problem thought, i can't get the feeds to parse with anything. netnewswire craps out, and MagpieRSS dies on them too, so i can't get them on my desktop or my site. Those amp's need to go i think. The feeds don't validate at all, so both agregators are crashing, its so dissapointing. But keep it up!! This is awesome.
seven5 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2005, 05:53 AM   #29 (Print)
davew666

Quote:
Originally posted by seven5
Those amp's need to go
Yeah, definitely. Anyone know where I can find a online manual for the TCL language used for the TivoWeb stuff so I'm not running blind? - or, if there are any experts how there who can tell me how to do a search and replace on a string in there!!

To be honest, i've not really looked at this since I got it working on my web site, but I'll try and finish it off as soon as I get chance so that it works in most news readers and validates correctly.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:14 AM   #30 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Thanks, davew66, for your continued work on this. We all really appreciate it and are eager to enjoy your work. As far as help with TiVoWeb's TCL, you may find some more advanced help over at the forum where it's developers hang most frequently... (all links here: http://tivo.fp2000.org/twp/ )

Also, a member here named Sanderton is very talented and helpful... he's written loads of amazing modules... perhaps drop him a line with a link to this thread and he can pipe in with his support.