July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2004, 05:19 PM   #1 (Print)
peteypete

Humax TiVo shipping

Looks like it's available now.

Pricey but we'll see how fast the price drops.

Anybody with a review would be appreciated.

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate....y=649441&catky=
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 06:21 PM   #2 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Looks like their 80 hour unit is also shipping. And for a much more reasonable price...

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=308525

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 07:53 PM   #3 (Print)
bedelman
Call me Bob

Send a message via AIM to bedelman Send a message via Yahoo to bedelman
Anyone notice how these units don't seem to have component video outputs? Isn't this a little odd for a modern device that can play DVDs? Both the Toshiba and Pioneer units have component video output, but it doesn't look like the Humax does...

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)
bedelman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 08:18 PM   #4 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
Anyone notice how these units don't seem to have component video outputs? Isn't this a little odd for a modern device that can play DVDs? Both the Toshiba and Pioneer units have component video output, but it doesn't look like the Humax does...

The Humax models that just bagan shipping are DVRs only -- they don't have any kind of DVD functionality. The outputs are the same as other Series2 DVRs.
TiVoBill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 09:56 PM   #5 (Print)
pv
Klein Bottle Washer

TivoBill, are you saying that the component output doesn't work for the tivo's signal on the toshiba? I was under the impression that DVR content went through there as well.

Component isn't a DVD thing - it's a good picture thing. I was hoping that component output was becoming part of the reference standard for tivos. PV
pv is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 09:57 PM   #6 (Print)
Gai-jin

No, he's saying the HU max tivo you're looking at doesn't play dvds.
Gai-jin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 10:11 PM   #7 (Print)
pv
Klein Bottle Washer

I hear that, but it's not really an answer to anything. You don't have to have a DVD player to have component outputs. PV
pv is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 10:28 PM   #8 (Print)
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Send a message via AIM to LoadStar
Quote:
Originally posted by pv
I hear that, but it's not really an answer to anything. You don't have to have a DVD player to have component outputs. PV

I don't think it was intended to be an "answer to anything."

TiVoBill was correcting bedelman who questioned the decision on "a modern device that can play DVDs." He was simply pointing out (correctly) that the Humax player pictured cannot, indeed, play DVDs.
LoadStar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 10:39 PM   #9 (Print)
blackh8552

Humax makes pretty good units. They used to make all of Samsungs stand alone Satellite receivers. They had nothing to do with the Samsung tivos thou. I have a contact over at humax if anyone is really interested
blackh8552 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-19-2004, 10:54 PM   #10 (Print)
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
Looks like their 80 hour unit is also shipping. And for a much more reasonable price...

http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=308525

Dan
Not reasonable at all, I'd say. Seems identical to the existing TiVo S2, but for $30 more than TiVo's new unit (AR). And TiVo's refurb'd 80s are just $100 AR.

Old 07-20-2004, 07:49 AM   #11 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
Quote:
Originally posted by pv

Component isn't a DVD thing - it's a good picture thing. I was hoping that component output was becoming part of the reference standard for tivos. PV

Yes. Thank you. I completely agree! I wonder when TiVo will do this. And a digital output. Many newer cable boxes provide digital audio outputs - so a digital audio input would be a great idea as well.

Old 07-20-2004, 10:48 AM   #12 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Since you are starting at best with an S-video singal, I don't think there would be much need for component out. Now, there would be no reason not to include them on D-Tivos.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-20-2004, 11:14 AM   #13 (Print)
bkdtv

I don't see many people paying $699 for a Tivo that requires an additional $300 (or $12.99/mo) to use it. At $699, it should include lifetime service, or dual 250Gb drives with bundled (free) "Tivo Basic."

The new Toshiba DVD writer with built-in 160Gb Tivo has a MSRP of $699 and is expected to actually sell for closer to $550 online when it ships in four weeks. These Toshiba DVD writers also include the free Tivo Basic service, digital audio outputs, component outputs, and 480p support.
bkdtv is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-20-2004, 11:25 AM   #14 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Quote:
Originally posted by classicsat
Since you are starting at best with an S-video singal, I don't think there would be much need for component out. Now, there would be no reason not to include them on D-Tivos.

Valid point - but I envision these updated TiVos to support a Component input (whether progressive/HD or not0 as well And cable boxes to have progressive outputs too!

I can dream, can't I

Old 07-20-2004, 12:30 PM   #15 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Quote:
Originally posted by ThreeSoFar
Not reasonable at all, I'd say. Seems identical to the existing TiVo S2, but for $30 more than TiVo's new unit (AR). And TiVo's refurb'd 80s are just $100 AR.

Reasonable is a relative term. Sony sold their SVR-3000 at $50 higher then the price of an equivalent TiVo branded unit, and still managed to sell quite a few units. Some people may like the way the Humax looks, or they might like the brand, and gladly pay an extra $30 for it.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-20-2004, 01:15 PM   #16 (Print)
dan325it

Curious . . .

From the strong resemblance between the Tivo units and the Humax units, seems that either Humax is now building the Tivo boxes, or a contract mfr is building the boxes for Tivo and Humax.

Dan
dan325it is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #17 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Makes sense - I'd like to see TiVo stop selling hardware at a loss, and start selling service, and improving features ... as well as getting some direct/better deals with cable/online/satellite programming sources. It is of paramount importance, and I'm sure they know it too!

Old 07-20-2004, 02:10 PM   #18 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

It is nice to see someone other than TiVo selling SA boxes again.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:11 PM   #19 (Print)
d_anders

Re: Curious . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by dan325it
From the strong resemblance between the Tivo units and the Humax units, seems that either Humax is now building the Tivo boxes, or a contract mfr is building the boxes for Tivo and Humax.

Dan

I suspect the same. It doesn't bother me...it's just interesting...

TiVoOpsMgr or TiVoPony, can you confirm?

d_anders is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-20-2004, 07:42 PM   #20 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

We know a contract manufacturer (Solectron) builds the TiVo standalones, and that TiVo has a "reference design" which can be adapted by CE manufacturers.

Old 07-20-2004, 11:48 PM   #21 (Print)
bedelman
Call me Bob

Send a message via AIM to bedelman Send a message via Yahoo to bedelman
Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
The Humax models that just began shipping are DVRs only -- they don't have any kind of DVD functionality. The outputs are the same as other Series2 DVRs.
Oops -- I had assumed that these were the DVD Recorder Combo units that had been announced a while ago. Just goes to show you that reading is FUNdamental. I'm sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)
bedelman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-21-2004, 10:37 AM   #22 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
Oops -- I had assumed that these were the DVD Recorder Combo units that had been announced a while ago. Just goes to show you that reading is FUNdamental. I'm sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

So many new products to keep track of. Humax is currently shipping TiVo standalone DVRs. They have the DVD recorder model listed as "Coming in Fall 2004" on their website.
TiVoBill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-21-2004, 02:30 PM   #23 (Print)
peteypete

Anyone get one yet

The DVD combo is the one I have an eye out for, also TivoToGo!!! Any, new info on that yet? Come on, just another teaser!!!

P
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-08-2004, 08:56 AM   #24 (Print)
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkdtv
I don't see many people paying $699 for a Tivo that requires an additional $300 (or $12.99/mo) to use it. At $699, it should include lifetime service, or dual 250Gb drives with bundled (free) "Tivo Basic."

The A/V philes that buy at that price point expect things like digital audio in/out and component in/out (to 480p)

TiVo has greatly limited its market by failing to provide these now "simple" features that a $129 Sony DVD player has.

What is the market for a low end (S-video only) A/V product for which you pay $400 plus an 80GB HD in return for a 250GD HD?

Old 08-08-2004, 09:30 AM   #25 (Print)
bkdtv

As yet another example of how overpriced the Humax Tivo is....

Quote:
Rancho Bernardo, Calif. — Sony will introduce this fall the first CableCARD-enabled HDTV cable decoder boxes with built-in hard-drive recorders, and ATSC and digital cable tuners.

The set-top boxes, which Sony introduced to select members of the press visiting its new sales and marketing headquarters here, will be available in two models, differing only by hard-drive capacity. The DHG-HDD250 ($799 suggested retail) will carry a single 250GB hard drive, while the DHG-HDD500 ($999) will add a second 250GB hard drive for a total of 500GBs recording capacity.

Humax wants $699 for a SD Tivo with a 250Gb drive, one NTSC tuner, and s-video output. Sony wants $799 for a HDTV DVR with 250Gb drive, one CableCard tuner, one OTA tuner, HDMI/DVI output, component output, and s-video.

The Sony is not a Tivo, and its TVGuide software (similar to that on the 6208) is comparable to Tivo Basic. It doesn't have name-based recording, season passes, wishlists, or a timeline/playback bar, but there's no DVR fee either. Two to seven days of program information, depending on your area.
bkdtv is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-08-2004, 06:07 PM   #26 (Print)
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Send a message via AIM to LoadStar
On the upside - I was at Sam's Club today, and I saw a sight I thought I'd never see. A (Humax) TiVo Box on an endcap at Sam's. A whole friggin' lot of them.

First of the Humax boxes that I've seen, and I was interested to note that the packaging for the Humax looked _exactly_ like the packaging for the TiVo branded device, except the Humax used red instead of orange for the primary color, and they added the Humax logo above the words "The TiVo Box." This, in my mind, indicates the TiVo branded box and the Humax TiVo are both produced by the same company... whether that's still Solectron or not is hard to say.
LoadStar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-08-2004, 07:04 PM   #27 (Print)
mmascari

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTiVo
The A/V philes that buy at that price point expect things like digital audio in/out and component in/out (to 480p)

TiVo has greatly limited its market by failing to provide these now "simple" features that a $129 Sony DVD player has.

Have you ever seen any recorder that has a digital audio input jack (or component input for that matter)?

This isn't a dis, I'm looking for exactly this product, but haven't been able to find one yet. I've seen plenty of DVD combo products that have digital audio out, but that doesn't help me record digital audio content. Personally, I'm more interested in the audio part right now, but it would be nice to see the component input for future upgrades to my system also.
mmascari is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-08-2004, 07:31 PM   #28 (Print)
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Personally, only my stand-alone CD recorder. ($300 product)

You are right - it may not exist - but its badly needed now that digital audio is coming out of numerous digital cable STBs, etc. TiVo is the most advanced recording product available (in theory anyway) and needs to lead when they move into high end price points.

Another data point: $200 A/V Receivers have multiple digital audio ins these days.

Old 08-09-2004, 10:35 AM   #29 (Print)
calitivo

biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040809/lnm002_1.html

Sam's Club/walmart issued a PR about it this morning. I guess they'll have Humax branded units in Sam's; Tivo branded units at Costco.
calitivo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-09-2004, 06:15 PM   #30 (Print)
ADent

Quote:
Originally posted by LoadStar
On the upside - I was at Sam's Club today, and I saw a sight I thought I'd never see. A (Humax) TiVo Box on an endcap at Sam's. A whole friggin' lot of them.

There was a stack of them at my Sam's Club too, last week. They were $249

They were in 'The TiVo Box'.

See http://www.forbes.com/business/serv.../ap1496845.html

Last edited by ADent : 08-10-2004 at 01:08 PM.
ADent is offline Report Bad Post Report Post