SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2004, 02:43 PM   #121 (Print)
Avenger
The Hard Right

Thanks, Dan! Now I know.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Collins
The latest software will ALWAYS be available for download. It is not too difficult to have a flag in the datastream that indicates what the current release number is, and then trigger a download if the TiVo in question is running an earlier release. This might only be made available once a day, or once every several days, but it can be fit in between showings on a PPV channel so that the bandwidth used is easily available.

Since I recently had to restore an old image, I can tell you exactly what the sequence of events is (this all happened just after the TiVo in question had first upgraed to 3.1.0c):

I reloaded a 3.1.0 (no a, b or c) image onto one of my TiVos. On the first call out it downloaded, via modem, 3.1.0b. After 3.1.0b was running, on its next call (which I forced the next day) it spent less than 3 minutes online and then declared it was "pending restart" - so 3.1.0c had downloaded, via satellite, overnight. After 3.1.0c2 was released, I put the unit on the priority list, and a few hours later forced a call. This call took a few minutes (but still much less than the 35 to 40 minutes a software download takes) and again, I was "pending restart".

So, no matter how old the software you have on the TiVo, it will download 3.1.0b (which it would seem is the first release capable of satellite download) via modem on its first (or second) call, after which it will download the latest software version via satellite and install it on the NEXT call.

Avenger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-04-2004, 03:08 PM   #122 (Print)
Deven
Advanced Member

Send a message via ICQ to Deven Send a message via AIM to Deven
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Collins
So, no matter how old the software you have on the TiVo, it will download 3.1.0b (which it would seem is the first release capable of satellite download) via modem on its first (or second) call, after which it will download the latest software version via satellite and install it on the NEXT call.
Does that mean that 3.1.0b is as far as they'll upgrade over the phone? Obviously, this requires the latest software version to be available in the satellite stream. Do you suppose they will just always keep sending the current versions over the satellite on a daily or near-daily basis? There's something to be said for that approach -- once 3.1.0b is on the box, they would never have to download another update over the modem, if they can assume that sooner or later it would get a chance to download a newer version from the satellite. Presumably, if DirecTV ever modifies the stream in such a way that 3.1.0b will no longer work, they would have to make a newer version available for modem download, but otherwise they should be able to eliminate most of the modem downloads...

I'm really quite surprised it took them until 3.1.0b to get updates working from the satellite. I would have thought satellite-based updates would have been a top priority after dual tuners -- or at least once DirecTV took control of the operation. Weren't there a few other 3.x releases where they could have added this capability?

Sony SAT-T60 (120+30GB, ~140hrs, v3.1.0c2, 512MB CacheCard)
Philips DSR6000 (120+40GB, ~160hrs, v3.1.0c2, 512MB CacheCard)
Deven is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-04-2004, 03:38 PM   #123 (Print)
jsharper
rebmeM weN

Re: Replacement TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by Peco
Sorry if this is being dealt with elsewhere, but I didn't find it.

After the 3.1.0 bug stopped my DTiVos from working, I was on the phone with multilevels of support. Eventually, they sent me two refurbs, one I had to pay for (same deal they had on their website, $49).

Now my old ones work again, and I'm obviously keeping them, since they have all my setup and data. DTV called and wants my old ones back -- just left a message.

What is the thought here? Does anyone think I should send both back? It seems like one goes back at the most since I paid for the other one.

Has anyone found out what they are doing on this?

I don't know what they are doing or how they are handling this or anything, but if I were in your shoes I'd demand my $49 back and send both of the refurbs back, effectively undoing the whole mess and going back to what you had. I would rather have my s1 units tho than even new s2 units, so you may want to handle it differently if you would rather keep an s2.
jsharper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-04-2004, 03:59 PM   #124 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
Originally posted by Deven
Does that mean that 3.1.0b is as far as they'll upgrade over the phone? Obviously, this requires the latest software version to be available in the satellite stream. Do you suppose they will just always keep sending the current versions over the satellite on a daily or near-daily basis? ...
This would be my guess. After all, Dish Network keeps the software for dozens of receivers, including 3 DVR model families, in the datastream all the time.

As I said, they wouldn't even need to have the software available all the time, or even every day. Just leave a few minutes gap between PPV showings at 2AM once a week and they'll be covered. At 2 or 3 Mbits/second a software download would only take about 1 minute - easy enough to squeeze in if needed. They could even mix it in with the Showcase download at 2:30AM every night - even at a modest bit rate, like 500Kbits/second the software download would take less than 4 minutes.

240 GB DSR-708
80 GB DSR-7000 (Slingbox attached)
(All w/MRV)

Administrator - DBSForums.com
Dan Collins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-04-2004, 04:39 PM   #125 (Print)
drosoph
Distinguished Member

Send a message via AIM to drosoph Send a message via Yahoo to drosoph
OK, my friend just called me frantic about her TiVo .. said she only gets the orange/red Now Playing screen when she plays "Big Brother" ... (I cant blame the tivo for not wanting to play it) .. she gets audio .. but no picture .. is this the glitch we're talking about ..

Sorry, Im a NON-DirecTV TiVo owner ... Just trying to help her out ..

Old 08-04-2004, 06:39 PM   #126 (Print)
Robert Spalding
TiVo Special Member

sounds like it, tell her to sign up for the updated on the priority list and it'll be fixed within 24 hours.

Old 08-04-2004, 06:48 PM   #127 (Print)
jsharper
rebmeM weN

Well, her messed up Big Brother episode won't be fixed ever. She should reboot now so that more recordings don't get messed up. It could still happen again tho in the future until she gets 3.1.0c2. Once she gets 3.1.0c2 (signup on the updated priority list and force a daily call once a day until she gets it), it will be sure to not happen again.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:12 PM   #128 (Print)
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Spalding
sounds like it, tell her to sign up for the updated on the priority list and it'll be fixed within 24 hours.

It's been way more than 24 hours for me and no update . I think I'll submit it again tonight...perhaps I typed my account # in wrong.

-Mike

Old 08-05-2004, 01:14 PM   #129 (Print)
colemanr

Make sure you make a daily call after you sign up. Combo boxes make calls on their own infrequently, and a call is required to kick off the installation of the new software.

Old 08-05-2004, 03:06 PM   #130 (Print)
richtate

I got my update within 24 hours of putting my 031 # on the priority list. I noticed the upgrade when I got home last night. So far, so good. All is groovy. I only experienced the glitch a few times but that was enough. I felt really bad for those folks that had it happening all the time.

If you have kids and don't have a TiVo...you are truly missing out.
richtate is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2004, 06:02 PM   #131 (Print)
svelazquez

Advice in the meantime??

Well, I though my T60 was going to make it through this problem unaffected, but today it suddenly started freezing. Even with a reboot, my T60 freezes within a few seconds of being turned on.

Is there any kind of workaround or temporary fix so that I can watch TV between now and the time of the update / fix?

I signed up for the priority list, but if pushing out the fix is going to take several weeks, that could be quite a long time without any TV.

Thanks, everyone!

Steve
svelazquez is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2004, 06:16 PM   #132 (Print)
jsharper
rebmeM weN

Re: Advice in the meantime??

Quote:
Originally posted by svelazquez
Well, I though my T60 was going to make it through this problem unaffected, but today it suddenly started freezing. Even with a reboot, my T60 freezes within a few seconds of being turned on.

The whole box freezes? That sounds like a hardware problem (dying hdd's?) and not the problem with 3.1.0c that 3.1.0c2 fixes.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:19 PM   #133 (Print)
Rhughes

Re: Advice in the meantime??

Quote:
Originally posted by svelazquez

Is there any kind of workaround or temporary fix so that I can watch TV between now and the time of the update / fix?

I signed up for the priority list, but if pushing out the fix is going to take several weeks, that could be quite a long time without any TV.

Thanks, everyone!

Steve
Are you still getting the audio when the video freezes? Just to verify you have this particular problem. Don't know of a work-around. Get your T-60 on the priority list, and force a phone call each day. It only took a couple of days after I asked for it.

You must be having a low signal problem to trigger the freeze. Stormy there? What is your signal strength?
Rhughes is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2004, 06:24 PM   #134 (Print)
weldon

I'm pretty sure that everyone already has the update downloaded via satellite. The priority list is just to make sure that your T60 gets the instruction to boot into the new software on the next restart when it next phones home. My TiVo loaded the software the day after I signed up for the priority list. Of course, I had to force a daily call to make that happen.

Also, I'd be concerned if you are seeing the problem immediately after rebooting. Dan Collins did some pretty extensive tests showing that it was related to getting a sustained weak signal (not the absence of a signal). Either your having some unusual weather today, you've loaded some variable resistors on the cable (like Dan did), or you have a different problem with the hard drive.
weldon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2004, 10:37 AM   #135 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by weldon
I'm pretty sure that everyone already has the update downloaded via satellite.

Not so sure about that. As of Tuesday morning, I'd forced calls on both my boxes, and still wasn't updated. So I added my #s to the priority list. One box auto updated by Wednesday, and after forcing a call on the 2nd, it updated as well.

I think the priority request is still helping speed the update.

BTW, the way I noticed one update had been done was noticing once again both tuners were on the same channel. Seems to happen after every boot these days.
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2004, 11:10 AM   #136 (Print)
SparkleMotion
Hot Patootie!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rcrew
Not so sure about that. As of Tuesday morning, I'd forced calls on both my boxes, and still wasn't updated. So I added my #s to the priority list. One box auto updated by Wednesday, and after forcing a call on the 2nd, it updated as well.
Actually, the point was that the update was sent out to every unit via a satellite data burst...the implementation of it is forced by a phone call.

Adding my service number to the priority list on Tuesday, I forced a call early this morning and my update was activated. SFSG, but it's early to tell if there'll be any problems.

Here's hoping not! :cross fingers:
SparkleMotion is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2004, 11:46 AM   #137 (Print)
RonV

Note

I got my update within 8 hours of entering my ID in the update page. Since Monday I have yet to lose a recording of Stargate, Sargate Atlantis, or Good Eats!

Thanks for the quick turnaround on the fix. But I am still peeved at the 8 calls that I made and none of the CSR's knew what was going on and kept trying to get me to buy a new DVR. Also they never had any record of me calling about this issue.

Old 08-06-2004, 12:17 PM   #138 (Print)
marrone
Phased Member

Got my update last night.

New logos are definitely bigger. But that Disney Channel one has GOT TO GO. Man, are those ears, or are those mountains?

-Mike

Old 08-06-2004, 12:25 PM   #139 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by SparkleMotion
Actually, the point was that the update was sent out to every unit via a satellite data burst...the implementation of it is forced by a phone call.

Actually my point was that I'd forced several phone calls, and no update.
After adding my #s to the 'priority' list, one unit updated automagically, and one following another forced daily call.

So, the connection is lost on me. If there was a mass satellite download of the update, it seems there is more to it than just forcing a call. Perhaps there's an additional service number validation step?
Old 08-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #140 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally posted by Rcrew
Actually my point was that I'd forced several phone calls, and no update.
After adding my #s to the 'priority' list, one unit updated automatically, and one following another forced daily call.

So, the connection is lost on me. If there was a mass satellite download of the update, it seems there is more to it than just forcing a call. Perhaps there's an additional service number validation step?

There was a mass update via satellite, but the software doesn't install until it receives instructions to do so over the phone. The instructions to install the software are sent in batches so that only some percentage of customers install the software on a given day. It will take several weeks for everybody to get the "install" command. The priority list basically moves you up on the list so that you get it sooner.
TiVoBill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2004, 12:51 PM   #141 (Print)
BlankMan

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
There was a mass update via satellite, but the software doesn't install until it receives instructions to do so over the phone. The instructions to install the software are sent in batches so that only some percentage of customers install the software on a given day. It will take several weeks for everybody to get the "install" command. The priority list basically moves you up on the list so that you get it sooner.
Upgrades now come via the SAT. That's not a small change I would imagine. I'd say Congratulations are in order!

and ah, a, A55
BlankMan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-06-2004, 03:03 PM   #142 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill

Thanks much for the clarification Bill! I always like it when my 'observations' are reinforced by facts from the source!
Old 08-07-2004, 08:34 AM   #143 (Print)
Mike Mack

Still waiting on update

I signed up on the priority list last Sunday and have forced several calls this week, restarted the Sat-T60 and still have not received any update.
My software version is still showing as 3.1.0c. Anyone have any suggestions for speeding this up?
Mike Mack is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-07-2004, 10:02 AM   #144 (Print)
Beantownbeanie
Gotta love that TIVO

Did anyone post a screenshot of what the exact name of the new software system is?
I have had numerous problems since this update and I must not have the c2 yet.
Thanks.
Beantownbeanie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-07-2004, 11:18 AM   #145 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

I don't yet have the update. But, the actual version has been reported to be 3.1.0c2 followed by the specific numbers for your model DVR.

Old 08-07-2004, 01:05 PM   #146 (Print)
dmaneyapanda

i haven't received the update on any of my three S1 boxes, and i signed all three up the day it was first announced here.

luckily i don't have anything very important recording in these dog days of summer, but i am extremely irritated and disappointed that i have to reboot each box about every other day. feh.
dmaneyapanda is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-08-2004, 07:28 PM   #147 (Print)
tiorio

OK I have just read this thread originally thought my tivo was getting old and broken. Then realized my other tivo (have not used in a while) has the same problem. I just called DirecTV and they had no clue what I was talking about what so ever. He said he was not aware of this problem. Kind of scary. Just send in for the update and hope this works, one tivo has both tuners with the problem. The other one has one tuner out.
tiorio is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-09-2004, 07:21 AM   #148 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

TivoBill

Any chance you can change the title of this thread to something more descriptive of the problem?

maybe "Video Freeze Audio only problem" or something along these lines? I could not find this thread at all and it seems others are having the same problem...

Thanks for starting this thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:40 AM   #149 (Print)
rfburns

My wife is convinced this is all a DirecTV scam to get people to buy new receivers. I can't really prove her wrong.

1) Since software downloads come over the satellite now, and the phone call just activates the software, you'd think DirecTV could activate everyone's software on the very next call, especially in an emergency situation, which I consider this to be. Instead, the more people sign up for the 'priority' download list, the longer the wait is. Imagine the average user that doesn't read Tivo forums; they just think their unit is broken! It's going to take forever for them to get the newest update, if they're even still customers by that point.

2) As several people have posted in the forums, DirecTV customer service still seems to be clueless about this problem. They are suggesting people's receivers are dying, and need to purchase new ones.

3) Can you even begin to imagine how many service calls and new receivers people have paid for by now? As long as the number of receivers purchased outranks the number of customers lost, the company is making money.

I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist, but this is just too big a problem for DirecTV customer service to pretend not to know about.
rfburns is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-09-2004, 10:45 AM   #150 (Print)
Anubys
God? or Poser?

Quote:
Originally posted by rfburns
My wife is convinced this is all a DirecTV scam to get people to buy new receivers. I can't really prove her wrong.

<snip>

Those receivers are selling for $75 now (or even less... I've seen them for $49)...I doubt that D* is making money off them...certainly not enough to offset the loss of goodwill

this is a screw-up...pure and simple...