July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-05-2004, 12:54 PM   #1 (Print)
jaldana

Send a message via AIM to jaldana Send a message via Yahoo to jaldana
Arrow TiVo stuck in "Welcome. Powering up..."

I was using my TiVO last night and it was working fine. Stopped watching TV for a little while and put it on Standby. When I started watching TV again, the green light started flickering. If I press a button on the remote once, it will receive the message as if I was pressing it for a while. Tried to change channels, if I press once, it will change it at least 10 times. Checked to see if it was the remote, but the remote is fine. Tried to reboot it to see if that would fix it, now it won't even start. It's stuck on the first image. And the green light turns orange and the recording light turns orange also. They are both on and flickering. What's wrong w/ my TiVO? can it be fixed?

Old 08-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #2 (Print)
dirtypacman
Best in Class

Not quite expecting this to help but:

Try unplugging the unit and leaving as is for 5-10 minutes. Then rebooting.

If it does not start you may have a hard drive failure. Did you have any recent lighting storms or power flux to your home last night?

3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2004, 01:03 PM   #3 (Print)
deansy

Hello

new to this forum however, we are having storms and last night mine did the same thing removed lid disk sound as though looping.
do you know where i can get the software to upgrade disks.

cheers
deansy
deansy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2004, 01:11 PM   #4 (Print)
dirtypacman
Best in Class

Yes you can get new harddrives from our site sponsers listed at top of this web page under

TOP SPONSERS

I would suggest getting a UPS for each tivo you own so not to get damaged in storms.

3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2004, 01:17 PM   #5 (Print)
deansy

Thanks
deansy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2004, 02:14 PM   #6 (Print)
jaldana

I unplugged it and tried rebooting after that several times, since last night, but the same problem persists. We did have a storm last night, but that was after we had the problem with TiVO. What else could I try?

Old 08-05-2004, 03:57 PM   #7 (Print)
GopGuyCA

I have the same problem, here is what I wrote on a similar thread:

I have the same problem.

Went on vacation for 2 weeks and come home to find my Tivo broke like that. Happened about a week into my vacation, most of my shows weren't recorded and those that were.... Can't watch them.

I called the support line on the back of the manual and they believed it to be a problem with my Tivo itself since it was making a weird noise. Sent us a replacement and guess what... Same problem!

Called again and they said it might be the electricty or something and to get a power surge thing. We did... Still don't work. And it's not the sattelite nor the access card nor the Tivo! It's too much of a coincidence for the replacement they sent us to have the exact same problem and for you too!

And for over 2 years my Tivo had no problem like this, or any problem at all.

I can NOT turn my tivo off unless I unplug it.

It's stuck at the "Welcome...." screen. If I unplug it for about 3 minutes then replug it in the Tivo will get pass the 3 or so loading screens and get to it's normal Live TV and let me access the menu and everything (On the replacement and my original) But after a few minutes, sometimes less, it just resets itself and goes back to that welcome screen.

I'm going to have to call Directv/Tivo again! This is a bigger problem then my Tivo just being broke and I have no clue what the problem could be. Seems I tried everything.

The ONlY other thing I could think of is the cables which connect the Tivo, TV, VCR and Satellite together to be the problem, but why would they make the Tivo reset like that? And I don't want to replace every cord just to find out it's not the problem.

I really need help with this.

Also, I tried using a power surge which someone suggested on these forums and the DirecTV guy on the phone... Didn't work. Not for our original Tivo or the replacement they sent us.

A UPS is the same as the surge only it has backup power for if the electricity goes out, which isn't the problem with this.

Old 08-05-2004, 04:13 PM   #8 (Print)
Wayne at Pelican

Weird - I wonder if TiVo downloaded some buggy update that went awry?

-Wayne
Wayne at Pelican is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2004, 05:08 PM   #9 (Print)
Just a J0e

Whaaaaaaaa!

After years of about TiVo and then days of trying to get my first TiVo from UPS (long story) I final got it, hooked it up, went thru the set up and then ...

I appear permanently stuck on the "Welcome" screen of death.

I really don't want to have to send this back.
I sure hope someone here has a cure for this.
Damn!

Old 08-05-2004, 05:32 PM   #10 (Print)
ccwf
国際化 Member

Send a message via AIM to ccwf
Quote:
Originally posted by Just a J0e
I appear permanently stuck on the "Welcome" screen of death.

I really don't want to have to send this back.
I sure hope someone here has a cure for this.
Jostling during transit sometimes dislodges the drive cable. If you are comfortable opening up the unit, you can look to see if the drive cable is loose and plug it back in if so. (Beware: The power supply is unshielded and must not be touched. Also be careful not to accidentally unplug any internal wires while it's open.) Of course, this will void your warranty.

And, of course, severe jostling could have damaged the unit.
ccwf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2004, 06:33 PM   #11 (Print)
kensteele

My suggestion is get rid of this unit. There's a chronic issue with it and even if you get it to come back on, one day you will have to move your Tivo and when you unplug it, it may not ever come back again.

Never put your Tivo in standby. There's no reason to and you run the risk of it never coming back out of standby...ever again.
kensteele is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-05-2004, 08:33 PM   #12 (Print)
Just a J0e

I just went through this with a brand new, factory refurbished (frelled) unit.
The "Welcome Screen of death".

Here is Tivo's procedure for dealing with it;
http://customersupport.tivo.com/kno...c/tv050282.htm?

Still under warranty (just got it today after all) so they are sending me an exchange unit (charging me of course) and I must send back the Frelled one (and I get a refund).

My first experience with the TiVo company.
Swell.

Old 08-07-2004, 05:31 PM   #13 (Print)
GopGuyCA

/bump

=D

Old 08-07-2004, 05:39 PM   #14 (Print)
qeldrom

Quote:
My first experience with the TiVo company.

Hopefully someone gets there head on straight and fixes your problem and not loose another customer.
qeldrom is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-08-2004, 12:10 AM   #15 (Print)
Larry Chanin

Well, on the third day it seems that my HD TiVo has failed. It's been working well for 2 1/2 days then earlier this evening it fails to boot up. I'm still fiddling with it, but DIRECTV technical support has been unable to resolve the problem.

I do get a picture, it provides a message.
Welcome, powering up.... Then after about 10 minutes is says,
Almost there. A few more seconds please... Then nothing happens.

I guess I'll be returning the unit.

Larry
Larry Chanin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-08-2004, 04:46 PM   #16 (Print)
jaldana

Thanks for your suggestions. After leaving it unplugged for four days, we decided to give it one more shot and OUR TiVO IS BACK!!!!! We have no explanation for what happened... I guess it just needed to rest =)

Old 08-08-2004, 05:18 PM   #17 (Print)
Larry Chanin

Hi Julio,

Glad to hear that things are working out for you.

If the conditions reoccurs, whould you please repost here.

Thanks.

Larry
Larry Chanin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-08-2004, 10:37 PM   #18 (Print)
mrainwater

I have been experiencing a similar problem. Mine is a Phillips DSR6000-R01. I've had it for about 2 years. I can watch TV fine for about 15-20 minutes. Then, I just resets to the "Welcome. Powering Up..." message. Sometimes it will get through the POST and then go back to TV. But sometimes it just hangs. I thought I would try upgrading it, so I just went through the process. I added a 90GB HD as the master, and kept the original 30GB as the slave (maybe I should have left this out). I know this is an upgraded TiVO now, but the problem is the same after the upgrade (so it isn't upgrade related).

If I leave the unit off for some time, then it seems to come back for a short time. This seems heat-related since it takes some time for the problem to appear, and it gets worse (eventually locking up) when it has had power for some time. It's been unplugged for days.

I also checked the temperature in the system info screen. It says 49C. So, it doesn't show as hot. While watching 1/2 show it reset 3 times this evening.

Any suggestions???

Last edited by mrainwater : 08-08-2004 at 11:29 PM.
mrainwater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 09:33 AM   #19 (Print)
jameyho

I'm also having this problem, however, it just started for me within the last week. It seems to be doing it when it is trying to do it's nightly reboot. From what I can tell, it looks like it has a system update that it needs to install, and when it reboots in the middle of the night, is when it gets messed up. It also is trying to do a call every day, which makes me believe it is trying to do an update and is having a problem of some kind. If I unplug it for a few seconds and then plug it back in, it stays up and running normally until it tries to reboot at night again. The network page shows that it has made successful calls, and like I said, it shows that it it did call last night at 6:30p and it is scheduled to make another call tonight at 9:05p. It used to make calls only once every couple of days, now it's calling every day, rebooting everynight, and being frozen up in the morning. This is a DIRECTV dvr7000 with an upgraded drive (80g) but no other changes. My bill is paid, and up to date, my sat service is still active, and it shows account status as "in good standing" So anyone else got any ideas?
jameyho is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 09:14 PM   #20 (Print)
GopGuyCA

Quote:
Originally posted by jaldana
Thanks for your suggestions. After leaving it unplugged for four days, we decided to give it one more shot and OUR TiVO IS BACK!!!!! We have no explanation for what happened... I guess it just needed to rest =)

My Tivo didn't work when I tried that.

Left it unplugged for about a week, tried it again the night before I sent him to DirecTV/Tivo to avoid being charged for the nasty used one they sent me.

I really HATE DirecTV/Tivo.

If it wasn't for the fact that their product is so convenient and works well - 99% of the time - I would totally drop them.

I feel cheated.

Old 08-10-2004, 10:46 PM   #21 (Print)
rickaren

jameyho

Any chance you just changed from Pegasus to DirecTV? Started to think that same issue with my unit started after DirecTV transferred all my receivers to them (were re-booted by them in the process) from Pegasus. Looked at the help section and saw to remove the card, then re-boot. I'v now done that too. May be hard drive failure, but I wanted to try everything else first. After talking to WeaKness I may just go for a new TiVo and try out their new Maxtor QuickView Hard Drives. Had hard drive issues with previous Philips DIRECTV dvr7000 too!

P.S. I'm using a Cool-sat under this receiver, a two-fan rack mount fan unit and a APC BE500V UPS, so heat and power should not have been an issue.

DISH 942 HD DVR
DirecTV TiVo 240 Hr Receiver
Energy Take 5.2 7 Speaker System

Last edited by rickaren : 08-10-2004 at 10:53 PM.
rickaren is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-13-2004, 08:53 AM   #22 (Print)
jameyho

No, i'm not from the pegasus switch. I have only been with dtv for a year, and this unit has had this new drive for about 8 months. The drive should not be failing this early. I'm going to try swithing back to my original tivo drive, which was only 40g. If that works and i dont have any probs, i'm going to try resetting the tivo back to factory defaults and wiing the drive clean. It sucks cause i will lose all my shows, but if i get my drive back, it's all that matters. sounds like i know what i'm doing this weekend. I'll let ya'll know what happens.
jamey
Old 08-15-2004, 12:28 AM   #23 (Print)
goldmash

I haven't used my tive (Sony SVR 3000) for a couple of months and now I'm also stuck on the welcome screen of death as well. I'll try to keep it unplugged for a couple of hours to see if it helps. Otherwise I guess I'll have to get a new one as well.
goldmash is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2004, 04:53 PM   #24 (Print)
StevieG1

Arrow Stuck at "almost there" like so many others

Well, I got my error message last night, I have a Pioneer 810H and was trying to burn a program onto disc and then it gave a "program did not copy. Disc error". Well, couldn't eject the disc, so I tried to reset, unplugged the unit for 5 minutes and rebooted and the screen is stuck on "Almost there, just a few more minutes" and has been for 10 hours. I just left it plugged in to see if it would eventually start, but, so far...nada. How wild it would just freak out of nowhere, it's been working beautifully for the past year with no problem what so ever. Have had no storms or heating issues with it, so, I'm at a loss at what the problem could be. I just don't think its a hard drive issue, because I was watching a recorded show while it was attempting to burn the disc and I didn't check on the disc for about 2 hours after it was supposed to be finished.

Any thoughts other then whats been posted by the helpful members so far? I'm completely at a brick wall as to what to do besides finding a Pioneer rep in my city to see if they know what's up.

Steve
StevieG1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2004, 10:41 PM   #25 (Print)
bootsboy9

Send a message via Yahoo to bootsboy9
I have an RCA-dvr39, it has done the same thing four times since Aug.8.It too seems to do it early in the AM hours. to get it to reboot I unplug it for a minute, put the plug back in the outlet and it powers up an runs fine?.I have a PC modem hooked on the same phone line, went back and changed TiVo phone dialing op's and turn on dial tone detection.........hope this does the trick.
bootsboy9 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2004, 08:06 PM   #26 (Print)
kensteele

StevieG1, I suggest you get rid of that unit as soon as possible. Even if you get it to come back on, probably the next time it goes out, it could be gone....forever.
kensteele is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-17-2004, 09:22 AM   #27 (Print)
blueice888

I have had problems also with my Tivo and came across this. Worked for my standalone so it may be worth a try for some of you.

http://www.speichers.com/tivo.htm

Good Luck!!
blueice888 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-18-2004, 10:03 PM   #28 (Print)
jameyho

I'm not sure what has happened over the past weekend, but I was planning on doing my drive switch on sunday, to switch back to the original drive. However, I havent had a single problem with it. The last time i had a freeze was on friday, when i got home from work, but since then, no probs. Has anyone elses problems cleared up? I'm wondering if this was a software issue or a prob with something that tivo/dtv figured out pretty quick. Anyone else?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:44 PM   #29 (Print)
StevieG1

Thanks all, problem solved

Quote:
Originally posted by kensteele
StevieG1, I suggest you get rid of that unit as soon as possible. Even if you get it to come back on, probably the next time it goes out, it could be gone....forever.

Just got the replacement tonight, and about to start setting it back up. Thank you to everyone who gave suggestions. This is such a cool community of people, I'm glad to be part of the Tivo insanity.

StevieG
StevieG1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-31-2004, 11:33 PM   #30 (Print)
MikeLeonard

Send a message via AIM to MikeLeonard Send a message via Yahoo to MikeLeonard
I just bought a brand new 40-hour Series 2 TiVo from Best Buy. It's my second, intended for use with the Multi-Room viewing feature. Out of the box: "Welcome! Powering up...". And that's all it did.

I cycled the power, waiting with it on, waiting with it off. I continued this while on hold with TiVo's phone support for 45 minutes. Then they walked me through "15 seconds off, 3 minutes on" twice, then told me to return it to the store.

Then I thought to open it up and check things out (I didn't see any tamper-evident stickers on the case). I couldn't believe it: the IDE cable was not connected to the motherboard! So I attached it, booted, went through guided setup, and I'm filling out rebate forms now!

I guess sometimes, you just get lucky...
MikeLeonard is offline Report Bad Post Report Post