Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-09-2004, 11:14 PM   #61 (Print)
TIVOSciolist
Bye to High Society

Everyone, don't forget the JS2 marathon at 9 a.m. Tuesday! Last chance to get all the episodes before the DVD (we hope) comes out.

Last edited by TIVOSciolist : 08-10-2004 at 01:49 AM.
TIVOSciolist is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-09-2004, 11:15 PM   #62 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Send a message via AIM to Inundated
Under 24 hours now (someone has to continue wendiness' countdown...she's been doing it all day! )...

I'm curious if anyone else is planning on anything more to celebrate the finale tonight. Some of us are pairing up to watch...and of course, Ingrid here is joining Tim and Amanda at Tim's bar to watch on those 18 TVs that were mentioned in the Washington Post...

And Angie...if you can't move the TV, find a room big enough for all the people!
Inundated is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-09-2004, 11:22 PM   #63 (Print)
jdp932
Newcastle Out!!!

Send a message via AIM to jdp932
Til the marathon: 8 hours 29 minutes EST Didn't know that til now. Gotta set the alarm early now.

Til the finale: 20 hours 29 minutes EST

Old 08-09-2004, 11:25 PM   #64 (Print)
jdp932
Newcastle Out!!!

Send a message via AIM to jdp932
Yes, my Schmo-ites and I were getting together at my place at noon for a little shindig. Now, I think I gotta call them earlier for this marathon!

Old 08-09-2004, 11:28 PM   #65 (Print)
moviemoose

Quote:
Originally posted by Astro7x
Love the show, and since I do not see many questions aimed towards you I think it's about time!

Out of curiosity (as a college student looking to get into that field someday...) what do you use you edit Joe Schmo 2? Avid, Final Cut Pro? Also, do you get to put in a lot of your own creative input on the way things are put together, or is it pretty much what the the higher ups have in mind already? I have to say, the editing of JS2 is great, as it's rare that the way things are edited (like the eviction ceremonies) get a big laugh out of me. And for my final question... when editing a TV show like JS2, is it pretty much just you working on a single episode, or are parts of it divided among seveal editors and then it all gets put to gether in the end?

Hope it's not too much to ask! Editors don't get enough appreciation for what they do!

JS2, like 99.9% of the shows on the air now, was edited on AVID. Final Cut Pro is an ok program, but mainly used for trailers and promos no matter what the Apple Computer people say (I think I just lost my free copy of the program).

For each episode, there is always a "blueprint" given to the editors of the major points that need to be included, but after that, the editors get to make a first pass at each show. After that, the collaberation begins and the executives, producers and editors get together and decide how to make is funnier.

Some producers want editors to push the buttons and make the show exactly as they say. That was never the case on Schmo. We were all given the opportunity to try new things and stretch the comedy envelope in editing the same way they did with the script. There was nothing that felt better than trying something new, showing it to the executives, and hearing them laugh out loud.

For Schmo, we started working on specific shows, but for the most part, every editor touched every show at one point or another. So it was a really collaberative effort.

Good luck in school. Graduate soon. There is a shortage of good editors in this town.
moviemoose is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-09-2004, 11:39 PM   #66 (Print)
wendiness

Quote:
Originally posted by moviemoose

Some producers want editors to push the buttons and make the show exactly as they say. That was never the case on Schmo. We were all given the opportunity to try new things and stretch the comedy envelope in editing the same way they did with the script. There was nothing that felt better than trying something new, showing it to the executives, and hearing them laugh out loud.

Good luck in school. Graduate soon. There is a shortage of good editors in this town.

Your excellent editing never escaped my notice, Moviemoose. That's generally where the magic really happens. When a confident producer has talented editors, there's no need for micromanaging. I think there's a strong sense of "shared vision" on this production. Great job!
wendiness is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 12:51 AM   #67 (Print)
Astro7x

Thanks for the response, and a speedy one too Sounds like a great experience to work on JS2 from everything the cast and crew has been saying!

I've been going between both editing systems myself, but that is definitely something to keep in mind from here on out. Two more years until the real world for me though
Astro7x is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 12:54 AM   #68 (Print)
melsbud

Arrow

Oh my god, Ingrid, you've been lurking the entire time?

You didn't happen to notice my posts bringing up your "real" breast size, didja? Or about how you're one of the only women who could make me, a comfy hetero gal, consider "hopping the fence"? (Someone on this forum warned me that someday you'd read these posts!) It's a compliment - Hey, even Angelina Jolie and Catherine Zeta-Jones couldn't make the cut! (They could watch though. Unless that's awkward for you. Like it is right now. Oy.)

So that's my awkward welcome to this forum. I feel like Eleanor to Austin's RealDoll.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:29 AM   #69 (Print)
Green Imp

Ingrid's been here too?

Curses. Not only do I not post often enough, but when I do I always unintentionally come across as a jerk.

I'm sure I'll be posting again after the finale, but I want to say to the whole JS community here in general, if I may get a little sentimental for the moment, "Thanks guys". Thanks for giving me a little juice every now and then between my fixes of Schmo. Thanks to the folks who PMed me about this community during the first JS (after the FORT falling-out). Thanks to guys like Inundated who make my JS obsession seem tame and altogether sane. Thanks to Muggum for your dedication to the fans, especially since the most loyal fans (on the internet no less) are usually the first ones to rip a new one at any opportunity. Thanks for the career advice as well--I'm looking for the book. Thanks to the TiVo Community folks for allowing even us VCR people into your mix (assuming you know I'm here). And thanks to Tim, Ingrid, Amanda, and the whole cast and crew for making a helluva show the second time around.

Whatever happens with JS3, I have all you guys to thank for turning me into a rabid internet fan, if only for two seasons. Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by Green Imp : 08-10-2004 at 01:39 AM.
Green Imp is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 02:04 AM   #70 (Print)
TjMarshalABS

Amen to that. There is a whole lot of stuff that I can say, that hasn't already been said, but I think the best words that sum it all up are "thank you all'. There isn't a person than can be left out of the thanking. Joe Schmo 2 was surprising, cause I didn't expect it to be on this early in the year, and it has been fantastic. Thank you for a job well done.

- TjMarshal

Old 08-10-2004, 02:04 AM   #71 (Print)
TIVOSciolist
Bye to High Society

Quote:
Originally posted by pyhill
I will vouch for my cluelessness (about this and in general)

During the original Joe Schmo Show, MitchO used to work in Manhattan. As some point, he stated going to a public webcam located in the middle of Times Square and holding up signs like "Watch Joe Schmo!!!" as hundreds of people walked by and stared at him.

Each week, the signs got more and more elaborate. As is apparently the tradition when there are webcams and the Internet, some of people on the board started giving him suggestions about what to do and how to pose.

However, as best I recall, he always managed to keep his clothes on.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:46 AM   #72 (Print)
TIVOSciolist
Bye to High Society

Quote:
Originally posted by aindik
Is this little get-together open to the public? If so, where is Tim's bar?

Here is the article about Tim's bar:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...-2004Jul12.html

If it's open to the public Tuesday night and you do go for the finale, we expect a complete report on Wednesday!
Old 08-10-2004, 03:22 AM   #73 (Print)
TampaThunder
Mr. Dead Money

Send a message via ICQ to TampaThunder Send a message via Yahoo to TampaThunder
It was about 5 minutes into Joe Schmo 1 when I realized I had stumbled across a gem. Unbelievably, Schmo 2 was/is every bit as good and, in some ways, better. I can only lamely echo the thanks of previous posters as I have not the words to do my heartfelt gratitude justice.

Many thanks to each and every person involved with putting these shows on the air - actors, producers, editors, writers, Schmoes (Ingrid, Tim, Amanda, and the original and unforgettable Matt Kennedy Gould), the list goes on and on.

Special thanks to all involved that have blessed this forum with their participation, especially Muggum who was the first to bravely enter this insanity. All of you make it seem like this is our own little show.

And lastly, many, many thanks to everybody that participates in these threads. As someone said earlier, the posts here are almost as funny and enjoyable as the shows themselves. You've all made me laugh and cry with your interpretations, explanations, suppositions, etc. This is truly a community I am proud to be a part of.

Now that being said: 16 hours and 37 minutes to the best show on TV.
TampaThunder is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 06:11 AM   #74 (Print)
pyhill
Stunned by Taser

Quote:
Originally posted by YCantAngieRead
No! I can't! It's a lie! How dare you!

Okay. So I can. You blew my oh-so-clever subterfuge.

I only told Ingrid and I think we can trust her

"I highly recommend a video. Or smoke some pot. Same effect. " Edhara
pyhill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 06:38 AM   #75 (Print)
pyhill
Stunned by Taser

Quote:
Originally posted by TIVOSciolist
During the original Joe Schmo Show, MitchO used to work in Manhattan. As some point, he stated going to a public webcam located in the middle of Times Square and holding up signs like "Watch Joe Schmo!!!" as hundreds of people walked by and stared at him.

Each week, the signs got more and more elaborate. As is apparently the tradition when there are webcams and the Internet, some of people on the board started giving him suggestions about what to do and how to pose.

I appreciate the update - I hate being left out of the loop I wish I could have seen it at the time. That's a shame about the clothes - nudity (with clever coverage from the sign) can really be something to talk about

"I highly recommend a video. Or smoke some pot. Same effect. " Edhara
pyhill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 07:59 AM   #76 (Print)
MitchO
Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Quote:
Originally posted by TIVOSciolist

Someone on the original boards (and thread) alerted me to the existance of a webcam 2 blocks from my office (i worked in Times Square). After the original sign, IIRC i used "All the World Loves a Nut Knuckle", "Don't Be a Hutch, Watch Joe Schmo" and "What is Going On! The Finale of Joe Schmo is TONIGHT!". Supposedly, EKB (Brain Keith Etheridge, Brian of the original JS and writer of both series) was in a nearby hotel for that last one and was trying to arrange his schedule to meet me at the cam. Unfortunately that didn't happen, though i was told that some SpikeTV employees did walk by and report back .

It was in the middle of 7th Ave, in front of one of the multitudes of tourist type junk stores. The employee who was always in the front learned to appreciate me ... though i'm pretty sure he would not have put up with any nudity. I also was looking to keep my job, after all~
MitchO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 09:10 AM   #77 (Print)
TiVaholic
Uncorruptable!

Send a message via AIM to TiVaholic Send a message via Yahoo to TiVaholic
Quote:
Originally posted by moviemoose
...Good luck in school. Graduate soon. There is a shortage of good editors in this town.

I hope there still is in 6 years...

Astro7x, where do you go to school? I'm really interested in video editing and such, and am going to be a junior in high school come September.

Old 08-10-2004, 09:13 AM   #78 (Print)
master_bubbles

just watching the marathon and picking up on things I missed the first time around - like how psychotic Bryce seems right from the beginning and Derek's hungry grin everytime he sees Cammy - Tim's nickname for Bryce - "Cruiser" - f'ing hilarious. This show is too sick and I'm a sick puppy for watching it - God Bless Joe Schmo 2!!!!!
master_bubbles is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 09:22 AM   #79 (Print)
SparkleMotion
Hot Patootie!

Hey you guys...here's an amazing coincidence!

It was 1 year ago today that Montecore attacked Roy in Las Vegas!

Tell me the finale wasn't intentionally planned to coincide!
SparkleMotion is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 09:24 AM   #80 (Print)
master_bubbles

BTW, a shout out to Jonathan Torrens from your fans in the T-Dot - you were hilarious as Gerald - keep up the good work

"Roc-Pile Up in this ma! Knowwhatimsayin' Knowwhatimsayin'"

- J-Roc
Old 08-10-2004, 09:26 AM   #81 (Print)
jpwoof

i still dont know which show I'm going to record and which show I'm going to watch live in standby mode. I have Amazing Race and Big Brother 5 (havent watched any single recorded episode since it's pilot) season pass...
jpwoof is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 09:33 AM   #82 (Print)
pmyers

Send a message via AIM to pmyers
I still laugh when I think about the "Dance off"....that and Gerald's "diarhea off" comment...LOL
pmyers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 10:30 AM   #83 (Print)
DiMiT
Schmo Fan #1

watching the marathon I forgot how funny the first ones were as well...

it was great at the beginning and just got progressively funnier

ok I am freaking out now

Old 08-10-2004, 10:33 AM   #84 (Print)
Joey303
Back for Christmas!

This is sick.

I may have to leave work early to get home and submerge myself in the Marathon in prep for the finale!

I'm sorry that I missed Season 1, but based upon the comments I've read here over the weeks, I'm going to buy the DVD and make a day of it!

Old 08-10-2004, 10:37 AM   #85 (Print)
master_bubbles

just saw Bryce write "Piper" on his forehead and Tim give Gerald a lap dance - ROTFLMFAO
Old 08-10-2004, 10:43 AM   #86 (Print)
DiMiT
Schmo Fan #1

its almost better the second time... actually it is

Ingrid is so in the know already...

Old 08-10-2004, 11:08 AM   #87 (Print)
master_bubbles

Cammy's box speech!!! her box being the tastiest, and how Austin should think about eating out of her box!!! Derek's concession speech to Ingrid - saying Omarosa instead of Ambrosia

I think I'm gonna cough up a lung from laughiing so hard -

It certainly is better the 2nd time around -
Old 08-10-2004, 11:22 AM   #88 (Print)
WHATISGOINGON?!?

Man.... I never quite understood why people found it so hard to focus on work when working at home... then I stumbled across the Schmoathon at 9am. It's after noon, and I think I've accomplished about a half-hour of real work all day.

I'm catching a lot that I missed, or didn't seem consequential, the first time around. Heck.. it's worth the lost day just to, once again, see Cammy's box speech.
WHATISGOINGON?!? is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 11:26 AM   #89 (Print)
JYoung

Wow, miss a day and you miss this forum being graced by Ingrid.

So, the $64,000 question:

does Ingrid have a TiVo?

"I aim to misbehave"

Party in Vegas, see my photos
JYoung is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-10-2004, 11:42 AM   #90 (Print)
TIVOSciolist
Bye to High Society

Quote:
Originally posted by pyhill
I hope this brings lots of gorgeous men dropping to your feet so you can choose from them like chocolates.

The trouble with chocolate is that you often can't figure out what's inside until it's too late to put it back. On the other hand, if you like your men with up to 30% fat by weight, then you shall never lack for male companionship for the rest of your life.