SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-12-2004, 01:24 PM   #61 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
Quote:
Originally posted by JPA2825
... but how much do you think I could fetch on ebay for the honor of having me put in your TiVo-tee E-mail address (i.e., give you 5,000 points)?

Quote:
ashutoshsm earlier said ...
Although seeing the glazed over eyes of friends and family who've bought and are now hooked onto TiVo, 'thanks' to my convincing (conniving?) is reward enough for THIS loyal TiVo-ngelist

You should choose such open-hearted, loyal Tivo-Tees who don't expect rewards or kudos for referral services ... and surprise us

Wait ... this message doesn't construe as an invitation to use me as your referral, does it?

Old 08-12-2004, 01:36 PM   #62 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Quote:
OK. So when I go to activate my new S2, who should I say referred me? Not to exploit the system (actually -- that's exactly what I'm suggesting), but how much do you think I could fetch on ebay for the honor of having me put in your TiVo-tee E-mail address (i.e., give you 5,000 points)?

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueOtto
JPA2825 -- I've got a Tivo to activate in the next couple of days (Toshiba SD-H400 running basic) -- Still haven't activated yet since the great Best Buy deal ($150) and need to activate it for the rebate. We could do a I'll refer you if you'll refer me deal.

Does it matter if I've already got another Tivo on my account?

I think you should both use my account.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-12-2004, 01:42 PM   #63 (Print)
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
Is there a way that I can enter a second e-mail address and have that included in my account? The "Manage my account" e-mail I use is not my primary e-mail, so if I refer people they are likely to enter my primary (work) e-mail. But I don't want to change the e-mail where I get TiVo-related mailings, either, because I don't want to get stuff like product newsletters at work. I just want to have 2 e-mails associated with my account for rewards purposes. Is this possible?
Ruth, that's a great suggestion but unfortunately our system only allows one e-mail address per account. One possibility, however, is to put your work e-mail address on your account (to get the referrals), and then use our unsubscribe page to unsubscribe from e-mail. Then, separately, use the new Newsletter sign up page and sign up your personal address so you get the Newsletter and whatever other streams you want to subscribe to. (Note that important account-related e-mails will still be sent to your work address.)

Here's the subscribe/unsubscribe page: http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-misc/subunsub/show.do

Another possibility is that you can simply sign up your work address as a separate "Rewards" account -- go to http://www.tivo.com/rewards and sign up your work e-mail address. (Note that we don't currently have any method of allowing transfer of points between accounts.)

Hope that works for you! Thanks for your enthusiasm!

Best regards,
Stephen

Edit: Added second suggestion.

NOTE: Due to the volume of Private Messages I received, I constantly had a full inbox, so I have disabled Private Messages. Please send me an e-mail instead. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr : 08-12-2004 at 01:54 PM.
TiVoOpsMgr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-12-2004, 01:46 PM   #64 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

What about simply signing up for another TiVo-tee account using her work email? Are you required to have at least one TiVo on the account for it to work?

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

Old 08-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #65 (Print)
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

Dan and I had the same idea -- I revised my post before even seeing his suggestion. "Dan's absolutely correct."

Anyone can sign up for a rewards account, regardless of whether or not you subscribe to the TiVo service. (DIRECTV with TiVo subscribers, take note!)

NOTE: Due to the volume of Private Messages I received, I constantly had a full inbox, so I have disabled Private Messages. Please send me an e-mail instead. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!
TiVoOpsMgr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-12-2004, 01:56 PM   #66 (Print)
Laird

Note My bid to be your referral friend

I'll toss in my bid to be the name you use as a referrer.

If you are into cows and/or PT Cruisers, I'll send you an 8x10 glossy pic of my PT Moozer
surrounded by some of its closest friends

Oh well. It was worth a try. I've already sold all my friends on getting TiVos and would really love to buy a Series 2 and transfer my lifetime to it...
Laird is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-12-2004, 02:07 PM   #67 (Print)
ashu
The reTurbanator!

Send a message via AIM to ashu Send a message via Yahoo to ashu
Re: My bid to be your referral friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Laird
I'll toss in my bid to be the name you use as a referrer.

If you are into cows and/or PT Cruisers ...

Arrrggghhh - on behalf of those of us not into EITHER, I'll refer you if you promise never to post that picture again (No offense, I'm just not a PT Cruiser person )

And how come Moderators get all the NICE sig Fodder, TiVoOpsMgr?

Old 08-12-2004, 03:21 PM   #68 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Re: My bid to be your referral friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Laird
If you are into cows and/or PT Cruisers, I'll send you an 8x10 glossy pic of my PT Moozer

Nice!!! I drive a PT Cruiser, so you can feel free to post that picture as many times as you want.

Dan

All with Lifetime

Old 08-12-2004, 04:42 PM   #69 (Print)
Ruth
Hi.

Thanks Dan and Stephen -- that's exactly what I'll do. Appreciate it!
Ruth is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-12-2004, 05:12 PM   #70 (Print)
futerfas

Send a message via AIM to futerfas
Quote:
OK. So when I go to activate my new S2, who should I say referred me? Not to exploit the system (actually -- that's exactly what I'm suggesting), but how much do you think I could fetch on ebay for the honor of having me put in your TiVo-tee E-mail address (i.e., give you 5,000 points)?
If your looking for someone to give your points to, you've come to the right person. Umm... I dont have anything to give, but stuff really isn't that important.

"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara
futerfas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-12-2004, 05:30 PM   #71 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

hey I know

I will agree to every post you make and note how logical and well written they are if you use my email in the refferral

otherwise I'll just be my old cantankerous self, would not want that would you
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-12-2004, 05:37 PM   #72 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoShanan
Yes, THANK YOU, Ruth! I was SO SO SO excited to launch this program. And excited to be a TiVo-tee myself.

Watch the TiVo Rewarsd Showcase, too, and say "hi" to me in person! It's been too long since Vegas, eh?

8x10 glossy photo of TiVoShanan

say hi to TiVoShanan in person

be TiVoShanan's intern for a day

A dinner with TiVoShanan including photo ops.

could be something in this reward system after all.
certainly valued at more than a penny on the dollar
Old 08-12-2004, 05:37 PM   #73 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

I wonder how long it's going to take before people start selling referrals on eBay?

Dan

All with Lifetime

Old 08-12-2004, 05:44 PM   #74 (Print)
Billy66

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
What about simply signing up for another TiVo-tee account using her work email? Are you required to have at least one TiVo on the account for it to work?

Dan

How will that work if some use her first email and others use her work address? I'm guessing she'll need to accumulate enough points in either account and will not be able to combine. Clarification?
Billy66 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-12-2004, 05:45 PM   #75 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy66
How will that work if some use her first email and others use her work address? I'm guessing she'll need to accumulate enough points in either account and will not be able to combine. Clarification?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...727#post2154727
Old 08-12-2004, 07:57 PM   #76 (Print)
Ruth
Hi.

Personally, I'm OK with choosing one e-mail -- my secondary one is really just for web corporate stuff, like when I register for a website or buy stuff online. I doubt there are more than 5 or so actual people who ever write to me at that address, so the likelihood I am going to accumulate a lot of points that way is minimal.

However, I would strongly suggest allowing multiple e-mails as a way that the Rewards program could be more user-friendly -- I am sure I'm not the only person who wants to sign up for the program but will have this issue.
Ruth is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-12-2004, 11:29 PM   #77 (Print)
jsmeeker
Big know-it-all

Just saw Shanan's promo. "Yay!"

I've already met her, and had the photo op. (True paparazzi style photo op, too)

Now, I need to get more people to buy a TiVo. Free TiVo loot sounds good. (I've never really been into credit cards that earn points, though)

Yay, Smeek! Smeek rules! -- JediCowboyD
jsmeeker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-13-2004, 06:22 AM   #78 (Print)
JPA2825

Quote:
JPA2825 -- I've got a Tivo to activate in the next couple of days (Toshiba SD-H400 running basic) -- Still haven't activated yet since the great Best Buy deal ($150) and need to activate it for the rebate. We could do a I'll refer you if you'll refer me deal.

BO -

Sounds like a good idea. I PM'd you.
JPA2825 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-13-2004, 08:17 AM   #79 (Print)
markandjenn

So in regards to the post by TiVoBill that answered the following question (and reading the FAQs):

1 - What's to stop people from "passing the box around" every 3 mos. and getting the referral every time?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Points are awarded for any initial activation (i.e. activation of a particular DVR for a new customer). There are FAQ's and the official terms and conditions at www.tivo.com/rewards.

It looks to me that "passing a box around" would be eligible for the referral bonus as long as you enlist a new subscriber. I have a Series 1 and just upgraded to 2 Series 2s. I was planning on giving the Series 1 to my father-in-law. If he signs up with my old Series 1, I should get the 5,000 points right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Series 1 HDR212 193 Hours - Unsubbed
markandjenn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-13-2004, 10:30 AM   #80 (Print)
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
I wonder how long it's going to take before people start selling referrals on eBay?

Dan

I don't know about selling, but I just saw one for buying referrals.

Old 08-13-2004, 11:49 AM   #81 (Print)
Savafan1

Quote:

Have we found out if this will work yet? I have a second TiVo that hasn't been activated yet.
Savafan1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-13-2004, 12:17 PM   #82 (Print)
JPA2825

Can't imagine why it wouldn't. Blue Otto and I have exchanged E-mail addresses (the ones we used to sign up for TiVo Rewards) and will report back our experiences once we each activate. If it works, I assume a whole new thread will be created (perhaps a sticky?) for people who want to "pair up" to accomplish getting referral credits for additional units that they add.

We'll let you know.
JPA2825 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-13-2004, 12:26 PM   #83 (Print)
markandjenn

Quote:
Originally posted by markandjenn
So in regards to the post by TiVoBill that answered the following question (and reading the FAQs):

1 - What's to stop people from "passing the box around" every 3 mos. and getting the referral every time?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Points are awarded for any initial activation (i.e. activation of a particular DVR for a new customer). There are FAQ's and the official terms and conditions at www.tivo.com/rewards.

It looks to me that "passing a box around" would be eligible for the referral bonus as long as you enlist a new subscriber. I have a Series 1 and just upgraded to 2 Series 2s. I was planning on giving the Series 1 to my father-in-law. If he signs up with my old Series 1, I should get the 5,000 points right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

The following passage in the TiVo Rewards terms and conditions answers many of our questions, but is a little vague on my question. The terms and conditions states:

"1. Members have the opportunity to accrue points by referring a qualifying "Subscriber" to the TiVo® service. A qualifying "Subscriber" to the TiVo service is: (a) an individual person; (b) who activates a new TiVo service subscription (excluding TiVo Basic service subscriptions and TiVo service subscriptions through DirecTV and BSKYB) after August 10, 2004 for at least thirty (30) days; (c) the referring member cannot have previously received referral credit for the same TSN (the TiVo Service Number unique to each TiVo DVR); and (d) the reactivation of a TiVo service subscription on the same TSN is specifically excluded"

A states that a second box for an existing customer is excluded.

B states that it is basically for standalone units only.

C states that you can get a credit once per box (no passing the box around)

D is where I have a question. It says a reactiviation is excluded, but does it mean the reactivation of the unit by the same person or reactivation of the unit by a different person. If it means the reactivation of the unit for the same person, you couldn't cancel your subscription and re-sign up using a referral. If it means reactivation of the unit by a different person, then you couldn't take an old box and give it to someone else for credit.

What do others think?

Series 1 HDR212 193 Hours - Unsubbed
markandjenn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-13-2004, 01:06 PM   #84 (Print)
ccwf
国際化 Member

Send a message via AIM to ccwf
Quote:
B states that it is basically for standalone units only.
non-UK standalone TiVo subscriptions
ccwf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-13-2004, 01:41 PM   #85 (Print)
JustAllie
Not-Captain

Send a message via AIM to JustAllie
I want to buy two Series 2 machines. (I already have two Series 1 machines, so I'm not a new TiVo customer, but I don't think that matters.) Can I give a friend my referral credit on the first new Series 2 machine? What about the second new Series 2 machine?

The way I read the rules, since it's two new machines with brand new TiVo Service Numbers, my friend should be able to get 10,000 points if I give her e-mail address. Am I reading the rules correctly?

The part that has me most confused is the meaning of "individual person" -- does this mean, as markandjenn stated, that each person can only be worth 5,000 points in the program, no matter how many new TiVo boxes they buy and subscribe?

Old 08-13-2004, 01:52 PM   #86 (Print)
LBCABob

I think the "individual person" is meant to exclude companies or organizations but that's just a guess.
I have a new SD-H400 that I'm about to activate since the free trial period has expired so I'll give a friend the referral points and we'll share some coasters. Too bad you can't get points on a re-activation. I have 2 SA's I might consider bringing back on line since the rate has dropped to $6.95/month and the referral points could bring a nice reward. Maybe it's time to consider TiVo's for Christmas gifts.

SA Philips 142 hr w/3.0 & TurboNet
SA Philips 466 hr w/3.0 & Cachecard
LBCABob is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-13-2004, 02:02 PM   #87 (Print)
timckelley
Longhorn Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoPony
I think you're looking at the wrong camera. The 4200 retails for $399. Changes the math from 'not competitive' to 'very nice' I'd think.

Pony

I've found it in yahoo shopping for $289.00 Admittedly I was wrong on my original sub-$250 estimate, so redoing the math:

$289.00 / 25000 points = 1.156 cents per point. Not as good as my AmEx Blue which pays up to 3 percent, with tiering involved. The overall effective rate of return when taking tiering into acount is at least 1.5% for me. Plus I can spend the cash whereever I want.

Still, I think the 'refer a friend' reward idea is worth it, since it costs me nothing to refer somebody.

You, sir, are brilliant. - pianoman
reaffirmed by brenrher - brenrher
You sir are a genius! - slydog75

Last edited by timckelley : 08-13-2004 at 04:16 PM.
timckelley is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-13-2004, 02:31 PM   #88 (Print)
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
A states that a second box for an existing customer is excluded.

I don't see anything about second box, nor about existing customer.

I also don't see any exclusion about self referral. Am I missing something?

Old 08-13-2004, 03:09 PM   #89 (Print)
TiVoPony
Got Kids? Get TiVo!

Quote:
Originally posted by timckelley
I've found in yahoo shopping for $289.00...

I'm pretty sure our targets were set based on standard retail pricing. If you check (even online) at larger retailers, it's $399 (including Walmart, Target, Ritz, Wolf, Buy.com, CDW, Crutchfield, Tiger...).

I'm not saying you can't find it for less. Just that we used mainstream retailers as our comps. You'll likely find this to be common practice for these type of programs.

Glad you like the program!

Cheers,
Pony

Old 08-13-2004, 03:58 PM   #90 (Print)
JYoung

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoShanan
Yes, THANK YOU, Ruth! I was SO SO SO excited to launch this program. And excited to be a TiVo-tee myself.

Watch the TiVo Rewarsd Showcase, too, and say "hi" to me in person! It's been too long since Vegas, eh?

Of course!

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
8x10 glossy photo of TiVoShanan

say hi to TiVoShanan in person

be TiVoShanan's intern for a day

A dinner with TiVoShanan including photo ops.

could be something in this reward system after all.
certainly valued at more than a penny on the dollar

Now that's a reward but....

Quote:
Originally posted by jsmeeker
Just saw Shanan's promo. "Yay!"

I've already met her, and had the photo op. (True paparazzi style photo op, too)

Is this the time to post our TiVoShanan pics?

"I aim to misbehave"

Party in Vegas, see my photos
JYoung is offline Report Bad Post Report Post