SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2004, 07:12 PM   #91 (Print)
MichaelK

OT

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow

Also 110° in the past has held some SD channels,
and one day it's likely combining one HD channels plus several SD channels on each transponder may be the scheme used,
rather than only having HD channels on a transponder with any HD channel. This gives a little more flexibility for the bandwidth needs of HD broadcasts but requires more complex statistical multiplexing, so picking a scheme that could preclude some subset of subscribers from being able to use 110° for anything wouldn't be good for the long term.

learn something new every day. I never understood why they didnt just mix SD and HD channels.
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2004, 08:21 PM   #92 (Print)
KnordRW

OK, I have a question....thinking I understand what was suggested but I am making sure. So, we have DirecTV 5 at 72.5 receiving the transmissions from the local channels slated to it. Rather than then sending them on the spot beam to our homes via a second dish or a super dish, was the suggestion to have the satelite then transfer them to 119 or 110, where we already have a dish pointed, and then have one of those satelites send it to us? I am new to the DBS world, and my local channels are one of those markets that I had read someplace else that DirecTV was planning on rolling out on the 28th (Syracuse, NY) , yet I have heard nothing official out of them yet....it's bearing down on a week until the 28th, so I'm getting sorta anxious. Watching another season of Survivor, CSI, etc on the horrible Time Warner reception would suck.
KnordRW is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2004, 08:29 PM   #93 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally posted by KnordRW
OK, I have a question....thinking I understand what was suggested but I am making sure. So, we have DirecTV 5 at 72.5 receiving the transmissions from the local channels slated to it. Rather than then sending them on the spot beam to our homes via a second dish or a super dish, was the suggestion to have the satelite then transfer them to 119 or 110, where we already have a dish pointed, and then have one of those satelites send it to us? I am new to the DBS world, and my local channels are one of those markets that I had read someplace else that DirecTV was planning on rolling out on the 28th (Syracuse, NY) , yet I have heard nothing official out of them yet....it's bearing down on a week until the 28th, so I'm getting sorta anxious. Watching another season of Survivor, CSI, etc on the horrible Time Warner reception would suck.

No the concept is you have a dish aimed at 72.5° and the signal received is combined with the signal received from the dish pointed at 119° in the same way the signal is combined from 110° with the other side of the 119° feed received at your dish.

The savings is in not needing any new multiswitch and being able to use existing wiring into the house.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2004, 09:59 PM   #94 (Print)
kschauwe

Could they add the same HD and other non-local channels to 72.5║ that 119║ has? That way nobody would need both 72.5║ and 119║.

"If It's Not a Tivo, Then It's Just a PVR"
kschauwe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2004, 10:20 PM   #95 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally posted by kschauwe
Could they add the same HD and other non-local channels to 72.5║ that 119║ has? That way nobody would need both 72.5║ and 119║.

The position at 72.5° is controlled by Canada and DirecTV's use of part of it is temporary (currently authorized till 2008), and the satellite at 119° has spot beams in order to provide many more locals than could be provided if every transponder was aimed at the entire continental US, and of course is more accessible to most subscribers than 72.5° would be because of its position in the sky from most of the US.

Last edited by dswallow : 09-18-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:26 PM   #96 (Print)
CalypsoCowboy

Doug, lots of great info.
CalypsoCowboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2004, 10:47 PM   #97 (Print)
bbsux

Ok so this means, that at least for now...

They will probably use some sort of combiner to remap the channels from 72.5 to the unused ones from 119.

But then why did they update the firmware on the recivers?

(Duh, answered my own question. They'd need to if they were going to use more than they have on 119)

Old 09-19-2004, 10:06 AM   #98 (Print)
litzinger

Quote:
Originally posted by litzinger
I'm putting up my dish mounts this weekend. Cutting holes in my new house's siding to install two J-boxes for a solid mounting (discussed in other threads). I'll be ready to go when they are.

Ready to go...

Old 09-20-2004, 11:55 PM   #99 (Print)
CalypsoCowboy

Dang it I hate these late night brain storms, D* is gonna have to provide not only a combiner but also at least a 4way multi switch so this whole thing could be kinda spendy, reason being.

I have my PIII dish which has the built in 4 way multiswitch of which I'm using two lines for recievers, maybe 3 if I get a DirecTivo. So if I put up the 72.5 dish and say it is combined somehow with the 110/119 feed, I'll have to do it to one of the lines coming out the lnb. So this it will be after the multiswitch in the lnbs. So in order for me to get my locals on more than just the one line from the dish, D* is gonna have to add a multiswitch to the deal, so that is gonna bump their costs on the whole deal. Is this making sense?
Old 09-21-2004, 12:02 AM   #100 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally posted by CalypsoCowboy
Dang it I hate these late night brain storms, D* is gonna have to provide not only a combiner but also at least a 4way multi switch so this whole thing could be kinda spendy, reason being.

I have my PIII dish which has the built in 4 way multiswitch of which I'm using two lines for recievers, maybe 3 if I get a DirecTivo. So if I put up the 72.5 dish and say it is combined somehow with the 110/119 feed, I'll have to do it to one of the lines coming out the lnb. So this it will be after the multiswitch in the lnbs. So in order for me to get my locals on more than just the one line from the dish, D* is gonna have to add a multiswitch to the deal, so that is gonna bump their costs on the whole deal. Is this making sense?

They could provide a new LNB assembly that offered an input from a separate dish, or they could use a separate 4xN or 5xN multiswitch and combiner. Considering a 5x8 multiswitch sells online for $60-$70, it's probably a $30-ish item in DirecTV's costs, if not less. They might also just produce a special multiswitch/combiner combo. A simple 4x4 unpowered multiswitch/combiner probably isn't much more to manufacture than a combiner, anyway... certainly far less than the $30 or whatever for a 5x8.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:26 AM   #101 (Print)
Cabinwood
Cabin Dweller

Send a message via AIM to Cabinwood Send a message via MSN to Cabinwood Send a message via Yahoo to Cabinwood
OK, I'm already using two dishes. One dish gets 101 and 110. The other dish gets 119 and am using a combiner. Is there any hope for me to get the new satellite with this set up? I know the Chattanooga locals are going to be on it...

FitDay Journal
Yahoo 360
Cabinwood is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2004, 09:23 AM   #102 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally posted by Cabinwood
OK, I'm already using two dishes. One dish gets 101 and 110. The other dish gets 119 and am using a combiner. Is there any hope for me to get the new satellite with this set up? I know the Chattanooga locals are going to be on it...

No, you'll need another dish for 72.5°. DirecTV really hasn't announced anything yet; we're just playing guessing games. Educated guesses, but still guesses right now.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:39 AM   #103 (Print)
bbsux

Quote:

Here's what I'd do in your situation...

Head over to ebay get a phase 3 dish (the oval one with all three LNB's).

Then you can use one of your old round dishes and repoint it to 72.5

Old 09-21-2004, 12:16 PM   #104 (Print)
Cabinwood
Cabin Dweller

Send a message via AIM to Cabinwood Send a message via MSN to Cabinwood Send a message via Yahoo to Cabinwood
Quote:
Originally posted by bbsux
Here's what I'd do in your situation...

Head over to ebay get a phase 3 dish (the oval one with all three LNB's).

Then you can use one of your old round dishes and repoint it to 72.5

Nope, can't get all 3 on one. I have the Phase 3 for 101 and 110. There are trees in the way of 119, so I have a round dish picking up 119 in another spot. I've been all over the place and there is not a spot where I can pick up all 3 from the one dish (at least when the trees are out).

I was just wondering if I'm going to be able to add a dish for 72.5 and combine them again!

FitDay Journal
Yahoo 360
Old 09-21-2004, 12:18 PM   #105 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Nope, can't get all 3 on one. I have the Phase 3 for 101 and 110. There are trees in the way of 119, so I have a round dish picking up 119 in another spot. I've been all over the place and there is not a spot where I can pick up all 3 from the one dish (at least when the trees are out).

I was just wondering if I'm going to be able to add a dish for 72.5 and combine them again!

I can't imagine anything DirecTV would create for 72.5° that would preclude finding some way to deal with your situation. Once DirecTV announces what they're doing, if there's any question about your situation, just ask and I'm sure we can figure something out if it's not obvious in the first place.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:27 PM   #106 (Print)
Cabinwood
Cabin Dweller

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
I can't imagine anything DirecTV would create for 72.5° that would preclude finding some way to deal with your situation. Once DirecTV announces what they're doing, if there's any question about your situation, just ask and I'm sure we can figure something out if it's not obvious in the first place.

Thanks -- you guys are great. Darin is the one that got me through setting this up to get 119. I don't have much confidence in an installer figuring all this out!

FitDay Journal
Yahoo 360
Old 09-21-2004, 12:36 PM   #107 (Print)
purple6816

Not to seem selfcentered but, what will people that get all the locals now get out of this new sat.?
purple6816 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-21-2004, 12:49 PM   #108 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally posted by purple6816
Not to seem selfcentered but, what will people that get all the locals now get out of this new sat.?

Nothing, except not having to hear some people complain about their locals not being available via DirecTV.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:30 PM   #109 (Print)
diggerg56
Stranded in Iowa

I want my locals...I want my locals...I want my locals...I want my locals....

I'll deal with whatever DTV decides to do. I just wish they would tell us what that might be!

Old 09-23-2004, 08:54 AM   #110 (Print)
SolidSignal
Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to SolidSignal Send a message via Yahoo to SolidSignal
The new multiswitchs for 72.5 are beginning to arrive. There will only be two manufacturers in the beginning. Zinwell will be first to market with a 6x8 (Phase III plus 18 inch). Probrand (Eagle Aspen) will offer a 4x4 shortly (for 2 - Phase 1/ 18 inch dishes). Here is the link to the Zinwell picture and some tech support: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_dis...zoom=zoom#xview

Old 09-23-2004, 09:29 AM   #111 (Print)
CalypsoCowboy

Holy schmuck that is huge and that is gonna be very expensive for D to roll out. Also I was looking over on the DBSforums I think and they are talking about the 72.5 being on hold and he didn't give a new timeframe.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:05 AM   #112 (Print)
bbsux

Quote:
Originally posted by SolidSignal
The new multiswitchs for 72.5 are beginning to arrive. There will only be two manufacturers in the beginning. Zinwell will be first to market with a 6x8 (Phase III plus 18 inch). Probrand (Eagle Aspen) will offer a 4x4 shortly (for 2 - Phase 1/ 18 inch dishes). Here is the link to the Zinwell picture and some tech support: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_dis...zoom=zoom#xview

Is the other switch going to cost less?

Old 09-23-2004, 10:15 AM   #113 (Print)
litzinger

Is that a typo on the switch itself? Look at the image, under the first two connections it says 110 satellite. Under the next two, it says 110/119. Shouldn't the first two be 101? Kinda funny.

Couldn't find the dimensions on the site. Anyone know the size?

Old 09-23-2004, 10:33 AM   #114 (Print)
MichaelK

solidsignal-

do you know how the recievers tell the multiswitch they want the extra input? Is it that disq 2 thingie? Also the writeup seems to imply that you only need on connection per sat (that you could get 72.5 and 95 at the same time). 72.5 that would be easy since d* only has part of the sat- so they could just choose even or odd but what about 95? Would they input be stacked or is the fss system diferent then dbs somehow?
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-23-2004, 10:47 AM   #115 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally posted by litzinger
Is that a typo on the switch itself? Look at the image, under the first two connections it says 110 satellite. Under the next two, it says 110/119. Shouldn't the first two be 101? Kinda funny.

Couldn't find the dimensions on the site. Anyone know the size?

I sure hope they don't make that typo when wiring it.

From the layout of the mockup pciture and based on the size of the coax connectors shown, I'd expect it'll be in the same size box as current 5x8 multiswitches.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:50 AM   #116 (Print)
bbsux

I'm just waiting to see what the 2 dish switch will look like.. (and cost, LOL)

Old 09-23-2004, 11:18 AM   #117 (Print)
CalypsoCowboy

I'm sure D* will install it if we do a year commitment but I wonder what the cost will be if want D* to send us the stuff and we install it.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:27 AM   #118 (Print)
SolidSignal
Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to SolidSignal Send a message via Yahoo to SolidSignal
Zinwell needs to get the art department together.
Deffinetly a typo.
I will get my web guy to fix it.
Hope the lables are correct when the real unit come in.

Thanks for the extra set of eyes!

Old 09-23-2004, 01:57 PM   #119 (Print)
jdk

hmmm. I wonder if the "flexport" connections expect to connect with stacked LNB signals or not.

Otherwise, DirecTV might just be expecting to use one polarity of transponders at the alternate satellite positions.

Any word on new "special" (aka stacked) LNBs needed for the new satellites yet?
jdk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-23-2004, 03:35 PM   #120 (Print)
CalypsoCowboy

Any word on when the multiswitches will be available?