TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2004, 04:15 AM   #31 (Print)
flyguy42

Yeah... the Best Buy Vonage used to include a month free. But once other retailers picked Vonage up, it went to a different sales model.
flyguy42 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2004, 01:36 PM   #32 (Print)
tivocat99

Moto firmware version??

Quote:
Originally posted by Xipper
Software Version: VT20_01.1.17
Bootrom Version: VT20_01.1.17
Hardware Version: Model: VT1000 Revision: 0 BSP: 1.2/0

How/where are you guys finding this info? I've e-mailed Vonage tech support asking how to upgrade to v17 firmware (assuming I don't have it) and to change my packetization rate, and I haven't received a response.... unfortunately, no time right now to sit on phone and wait for Vonage tech support to ask these questions!
tivocat99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2004, 03:07 PM   #33 (Print)
Xipper

I got it from the ATA itself by logging into its web page, its at http://192.168.102.1

If you are not connected through it (its behind your router, or whatever) you will need to plug a computer into the LAN side of the ATA as it does not allow acccess from the outside, for a little bit of info:

http://g04.com/html/modules.php?nam...=article&sid=86
Xipper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2004, 06:17 PM   #34 (Print)
tivocat99

Quote:
Originally posted by Xipper
I got it from the ATA itself by logging into its web page, its at http://192.168.102.1

Thanks Xipper!
tivocat99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-02-2004, 12:14 AM   #35 (Print)
Ian
TBLBITW

Xipper-

I just hooked up a Motorola Vonage box this evening, and nearly ripped my hair out when I started having trouble testing touch-tone menu systems (my company's voice mail).

I've just switched the bandwidth saver to 50, let's see what happens in the morning.

By the way, LAST night I tried Vonage with the new Linksys Box... but I heard a low buzzing noise whenever I picked up the phone; which, if you do a Google search, seems to be a big problem with the new units!

I hope the changed voice setting helps out... I'd really like to use Vonage, but if I can't even access my bank's menu system or my office voice mail, it'll be more trouble than it's worth.

I'll tell you how it works out!

-Ian

Old 10-02-2004, 12:22 AM   #36 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Send a message via ICQ to dr_mal Send a message via AIM to dr_mal
Isn't 90 the best quality for bandwidth saver? If you're looking for quality of signal, don't skimp on the bandwidth.

Old 10-02-2004, 12:23 AM   #37 (Print)
Ian
TBLBITW

90 is the best quality, but from a previous test of Vonage, 50 was perfectly acceptable, and you hear fewer dropouts if you talk while actively surfing the Web.

However, I also found that when the bandwidth saver was on 50, I couldn't reliably connect to TiVo.

But I just switched to a Wireless S2, so there's no problem there anymore.

-Ian

(Oh, I see what you mean - why would it drop more packets at the higher setting? I don't know... but I hope it's true!)

Old 10-02-2004, 09:27 AM   #38 (Print)
Ian
TBLBITW

Well, no joy with the toucn tone systems even at 50... gotta call Vonage.

FRACK (as Starbuck would say)

-Ian

Old 10-02-2004, 11:19 AM   #39 (Print)
Ian
TBLBITW

Vonage touch tone problem 99% solved!!!

Hi everyone-

Whew....

I spoke to tech support this morning. Vonage has got some settings they can change on their end to alter how the system mimicks the touch-tone sounds.

They changed my "OODTMF" setting to disable, and shortened the packet period... and now I can dial touch-tone voicemail systems using my Moto box. It gets an error every once in a while, but it's much better than before, I'd say at 99%.

Hope this helps!!!

-Ian

Old 10-02-2004, 04:06 PM   #40 (Print)
thundermustard

I have the Motorola box, no idea what firmware version (how do I find that? Does it upgrade automatically) and I have two D* TiVO's. HDTV and SD. They both connect about 90% of the time using *99, for the Call Waiting prefix. Not only that, but they have both downloaded one software update each with no problem.
I am a Vonage fan!!!
thundermustard is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-02-2004, 06:16 PM   #41 (Print)
willyg

I have the Moto as well- one thing to keep in mind-- the PAP2 has NO QoS built in. So if you have DSL or 'slow' upload on a cable modem, you are sure to have clicks and pops when surfing while on the phone. The QoS will dedicate BW for phone conversations- so you may notice your net surfing slows down when you are on the phone, but thats preferred to having poor phone quality IMO.

Re: the issues with touch-tone not working for checking voicemail, etc... i also saw this. If I take my time and hold each key in for about a second each, i have no problems.

Vonage or just VoIP in general, is the best thing. I have three phone numbers in three different states, unlimited long distance, and my monthly bill is at least HALF of my plain ol' telephone line when I had it.
willyg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-17-2004, 11:48 PM   #42 (Print)
dixonbm

Send a message via AIM to dixonbm Send a message via Yahoo to dixonbm
New Linksys RT31P2 for Vonage

I recently received and tested the new Linksys VOIP adapter for Vonage, Linksys RT31P2. I tried many different codes, but could not get my TIVO to connect successfully. ,#034 and ,#019 would connect but never complete a call. I was able to complete 1 Test call using ,#034.

Having had a Moto adapter at my parents' house I knew TIVO could work over Vonage, used the ,#034 on it.

So I called Vonage tech support. After calling for a fourth time I was able to get through. Evidently they were having trouble with their phone system and I was sent to phone hell the first 3 times I called.

However, once I got through the guy was brilliant! He knew exactly what to do. After talking with a few of the guys there, he is by far and away the most knowledgeable guy that I've spoken to when it comes to TIVO. (He's even got two of them, a series 1 and a series 2 going over a beta of the new wireless Linksys VOIP adapter.)

Anyhow here's what he did:

1) Change Packet Sizes. Default is a static size of 20 packets per millisecond. Changed to a RANGE of packets, 10-30 milliseconds. After he did this we waited for about 5 minutes for this to take effect.

After changing the packet sizes I was golden. It worked!!! I still had #019 in the prefix settings, so I haven't tried without a prefix. I'll have to try without any prefixes. I'll post again and let you know if it works without the prefixes.

Good Luck!
dixonbm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2004, 10:24 AM   #43 (Print)
PaulS

When you changed the packet size, could you do it yourself or did they have to do it at Vonage for you ?

Hate to be a nitpicker, but as someone who writes this kinda code for a living, I think you might have your units mixed up a little bit. I think you probably mean "one packet per 20 milliseconds", rather than "20 packets per millisecond". VOIP flows typically run at one packet per 5/10/20/30 millisecond sampling rates depending upon the hardware, with larger sampling rates transferring larger packets less frequently.

No biggie, and congrats on getting it working! Sounds like it's time for me to get into Vonage now!
PaulS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2004, 12:14 PM   #44 (Print)
dixonbm

The folks at Vonage had to do it for me.

You are probably right about the one packet per 20 milliseconds. I had some notes I was going from when I made the post. I probably wrote it down wrong.

Anyhow the Tech with Vonage did say they were working to resolve the problem that keeps the new linksys from working with TIVO out of the box. He said, Right now changing the packets is the only way to get it to work.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:53 PM   #45 (Print)
momo

I had both Vonage Motorola and now have the Linksys. Both have pros and cons. The Moto had much better call quality, it seemed to filter out line noise better from the phone to the Moto. However, the Moto has crappy routing (which is why I got the Linksys). The Linksys is reversed, has great routing capability (which I need for my server) but has line noise (I can hear a radio station coming in). I still haven't been able to get my Tivo to dial out on the Linksys (Tivo worked great with the Moto).
momo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-28-2004, 10:11 PM   #46 (Print)
dixonbm

Quote:
Originally posted by momo
I still haven't been able to get my Tivo to dial out on the Linksys (Tivo worked great with the Moto).

Call Vonage technical support and tell them to change the settings on your router so they match what I said in my previous post. See above.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:46 PM   #47 (Print)
peitsche
Immer vor der Glotze

Send a message via ICQ to peitsche Send a message via AIM to peitsche Send a message via Yahoo to peitsche
Question broadvox ATA

I just got my broadvox service up and running but my HDVR2 just can't connect using the broadvox ATA...I tried some codes and use the 90 kbps settings...still can't connect...this is the new ATA that is supposed to work with the series 2 DirecTiVos...anybody else have a similar experience?
peitsche is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2004, 05:06 PM   #48 (Print)
PeteyBoy23
Dark N00blar

Well, I got all excited when I read this thread. I have both the DTivo and Vonage. I called them, and I got the setting changed, but still cannot connect. I've tried ,#019 by itself, I've tried ,#019,*99 also to no avail. Can anyone else off any advice for me? I know it's hit or miss, but maybe there is something else I can try.

PeteyBoy23 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2004, 10:19 PM   #49 (Print)
dixonbm

PeteyBoy23, which vonage device do you have? And what settings did the vonage guys change for you?
Old 11-10-2004, 11:07 PM   #50 (Print)
PeteyBoy23
Dark N00blar

Quote:
Originally posted by dixonbm
PeteyBoy23, which vonage device do you have? And what settings did the vonage guys change for you?

Hey dixonbm,

I have the Motorola, and he changed my packet settings (he seemed to know what I was talking about right off the bat). Anything else he/I could try? Thanks for responding, man, I'm sure you know how frustrating this can be.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:47 PM   #51 (Print)
Chesney09

I just installed the Moto VT1005v with the following software and firmware:
Software Version: VT20_01.2.d4
Bootrom Version: VT20_01.2.d4
Hardware Version: Model: VT1000 Revision: 0 BSP: 1.2/0
Config File Version: 1100213786175/1002418704

I have 2 HDVR2's and using no codes am able to force test calls and daily calls successfully.
We'll se how the scheduled calls go for a while before I dump SBC!
Chesney09 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-11-2004, 11:11 PM   #52 (Print)
cktb2793

my Tivo's work great with Vonage.....the even downloaded the "e" software through Vonage with no problem.

Here's how I set them up:

Set Dial Prefix: ,#034

Set Call Waiting Prefix: *70,

I also put it on "tone" and turned each of the last 2 options to "on" However on 1 of my 4 Tivo's, I had to leave then at "off" or I could never complete a test call to get it to accept the new dialing options. But all 4 now work and do the daily calls and downloads perfectly.

You MIGHT have to try making the "test call" about 20 or 30 times before it finally works and you can "accept the dialing options" but it does eventually work and once it works then you are all set. You just have to have patience and keep trying until it works.

Hope my info helps you out....like I said it works great for me.

Almost forgot.......once in a while, one of my boxes won't make a complete call for a couple days over the alloted time for getting the message to make a call....but within a day or 2 after that it makes the call again and everything goes back to normal.......you just have to have patience.
cktb2793 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-12-2004, 12:24 AM   #53 (Print)
mike_perrier

Red face

Ok, here is my nOOb post here at TIVO Community. I wish I would have researched the compatibility issues with TIVO and DTV more before I signed up with both recently. Here is the equipment I have:

Lynksys RT31P2 (ATA)
Hughes SD-DVR40 (DVR)
Motorola SB5120 (Cable Modem)

Everything is hard-wired through the house - no wireless. As a million others have posted, I can't dial out. I have tried all the codes to pause, slowdown, etc... and none of those did any good. I also tried to call Vonage(after being on hold for 35 minutes) and get my packet rate changed to the Range specified by dixonbm above. I explained to the guy from Vonage what I was experiencing and he acted like he knew what he was talking about for the most part and put me on hold to "make some changes." And after pumping my bandwidth saver up to 50 and waiting well over an hour.....I regret to say that I am no closer to dialing out than I was 20 years ago!!!

In going through the connection test or through the final step to obtain the access numbers, I always get a "Failed. Couldn't connect." message on the Dialing step. When on the dialing step I picked up another phone in the house just to make sure the modem was actually trying to get a connection and I can verify that it is dialing out.....just not connecting.

I even called DirecTV and complained to them about the installation people not completing their job and they rushed me out another TIVO....again with the same connection failure.

I don't know what to do about it. It seems as if everyone has a different solution. I have read through all the posts and can't find anything else specific to my ATA than what dixonbm wrote. Does anyone else have any clues or suggestions??? At this point I think I should just stick to rabbit ears...no dial out issues there!
mike_perrier is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-12-2004, 08:10 AM   #54 (Print)
OLdDog
Reformed Druid

First, once again: THe series 2 hardware does NOT respond to any of the slow down codes. No matter what others say about them working with codes like ,#034 or ,#019 those do NOT do anything for the series 2 DTiVos.

the only code that seems to help is *99 (In the call waiting prefix, as that will place the ATA in the fax mode.

Even with all the codes I have tried and with Vonage changing setting to the ones known to work best with the TiVos I have had no real success with TiVo's internal modem on the series 2.

I solved this with an external modem from weaknees, and using a Vonage FAX line.

I did this to get all the updates but it is NOT needed for daily opperation.

BTW: The call to DTV seems to work just fine through the internal modem with no mods or changes as PPV purchaces made by the remote show up on the DTV my account site and the series 2 does not use the external modem code for that. So clearly the hardware, as DTV uses it, can work through Vonage but the TiVo side musy use it differently.

Lastly, when, and if, the USB ports become active I will use them for the TiVo call but we stil need a phone line for the DTV call.

Old 11-12-2004, 04:27 PM   #55 (Print)
mike_perrier

Here's the response from Vonage...

This is the response from Vonage - try entering the following code: ,*99,#034,#019 - even putting it in fax mode seems to do nothing, can't get the access numbers from DTV or anything. It's easy to say that I just need a land line phone to get past the initial setup but I don't have one! I was under the impression that Vonage would be all I needed. Both Vonage and DTV told me when I inquired about starting new service and quetioning the compatibility between the 2 that it should work....

I like the whole VOIP idea and you can't beat the price compared to land line phones. However, from researching my problems with TIVO over VOIP, I find it unsettling that this isue isn't resolved. People have had these very same issues for over a year now. One of the oldest solutions I found was purchasing an external modem...I just can't believe that doing so is still a viable solution over a year later. If I would have known a month ago that I would go through so much and still have to buy extra components, I would have only signed up with one and not the other ( either Vonage or TIVO ).

It looks like my next step is to figure out how to hack my USB ports to get them activated and use a wireless network adapter, or buy an external modem and fix it the "from begining of time" way. Either way I'm wearing thin....

Hope others have better luck in the near future.
mike_perrier is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-12-2004, 04:36 PM   #56 (Print)
PeteyBoy23
Dark N00blar

Quote:
Originally posted by OLdDog
First, once again: THe series 2 hardware does NOT respond to any of the slow down codes. No matter what others say about them working with codes like ,#034 or ,#019 those do NOT do anything for the series 2 DTiVos.

the only code that seems to help is *99 (In the call waiting prefix, as that will place the ATA in the fax mode.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I know if I have a series 1 or 2 DTivo?

Old 11-12-2004, 05:03 PM   #57 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

Does it have USB ports on the back? If so, then it's Series 2. The DSR7000 is Series 2.

I'm waiting for my number to port to Vonage - we'll see if I also have trouble with this.

Old 11-15-2004, 09:40 PM   #58 (Print)
blitzfeld

I just purchased the Linksys PAP2. Initially, my series 2 Philips DTivo would not dial out. But after I entered ",#340" as the prefix, I was able to do successful test call and daily call. I will post a call once it makes a successful call on its own.
blitzfeld is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2004, 09:10 PM   #59 (Print)
Cornholio

Arrow PAP2 and Phillips

I have just recently purchased a Linksys PAP2 and found out after I signed up for Vonage about their problems with the Tivo's and DTV receivers. I have the Phillips DSR7000R/17 and have had hardly any luck at getting it to dial out on a test call...

I hit the forums, Vonages site, Linksys and really haven't found a solution yet. The only setting that has worked a couple of times and on test calls only was ,#034 prefix with the internal modem. I also was able to update my local numbers once, but cannot get through a daily call...

I went on Ebay and puchased a 28.8 external US Robotics kit for the Tivo plugged in the ,#319 and gave that a shot tonight. The Tivo dials out and handshakes and then craps out... loses it's connection.... Entered all kinds of AT commands via Hyperterminal and tried again and again.. No luck... So I'm keeping my eyes peeled for somethign else to try..

As far as the sound quality of the PAP2, I have had no issue with it so far and none of the buzzing that I have read of so far.. It was also very painless to setup. Do not know what else to try.. You would think that DTV would enable the USB ports on the DTivo, the stand alone Tivo's get to use the net for updates... Then again you would think DTV might suggest to the makers of their receivers to add a network connection so we could buy PPV's without a phone line if we chose to.. But what could I be asking for.. Hopefully either Vonage will step up or the next firmware revision will have something written in it to slow down the internal modems again....
Cornholio is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2004, 09:32 PM   #60 (Print)
k2ue

Quote:
Originally posted by OLdDog
The slow down codes do NOT work with the series 2 DTiVos at all.

That is true for the SD boxes -- but my HD TiVo seems to be able to slow down. They may have learned from their mistake. . . But the HD box wouldn't stay connected over Vonage above 9600 baud, which is impractically slow for software updates (but works fine for PPV), so I use PPP instead at 115K for daily calls.

Gefen DVI Switch, Toshiba D-KR2 DVD-R
k2ue is offline Report Bad Post Report Post