July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2004, 10:37 PM   #61 (Print)
Cornholio

Question PPP

K2ue,

I have read your posts on the PPP... That adapter your talking about serial to ethernet can it just plug into the network and go out to the net via the router or do you need to connect it to the PC???? Haven't tried anything like that yet... Have a network connection right behind the Tivo.

Could I go with a serial to RJ45, from there to the wall and then back to the serial to ethernet and then into the PC???

Thanks..

Last edited by Cornholio : 11-18-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Cornholio is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-19-2004, 12:55 AM   #62 (Print)
Stinkfist

Send a message via ICQ to Stinkfist Send a message via AIM to Stinkfist Send a message via Yahoo to Stinkfist
Re: Here's the response from Vonage...

Quote:
Originally posted by mike_perrier
This is the response from Vonage - try entering the following code: ,*99,#034,#019 - even putting it in fax mode seems to do nothing, can't get the access numbers from DTV or anything. It's easy to say that I just need a land line phone to get past the initial setup but I don't have one! I was under the impression that Vonage would be all I needed. Both Vonage and DTV told me when I inquired about starting new service and quetioning the compatibility between the 2 that it should work....

Just FYI. I have the Vonage Motorola router and this worked for me! I'm now finally synced up with directv again.

First attempt, it died syncing the time. I finally got it to go through another time fully.

Just tried again, and it failed on configuring. But, I've also read that theres problems with the router I have . the netgear wireless 614

Either way, it's at least working now. Thanks.
Stinkfist is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-19-2004, 07:19 AM   #63 (Print)
k2ue

Re: PPP

Quote:
Originally posted by Cornholio
K2ue,

I have read your posts on the PPP... That adapter your talking about serial to ethernet can it just plug into the network and go out to the net via the router or do you need to connect it to the PC???? Haven't tried anything like that yet... Have a network connection right behind the Tivo.

Could I go with a serial to RJ45, from there to the wall and then back to the serial to ethernet and then into the PC???

Thanks..

The Serial-to-Ethernet Adapter creates a remote Serial Port on a Host PC, which acts just like a rear-panel serial port for the purposes or running PPP. The link is from the software on the host PD, thru the ethernet, to the Serial-to-Ethernet box, acting bi-directionally like a harware serial port. But the ethernet portion is very flexible -- in my case it runs out of the host PC thru the same ethernet card used for networking, thru my home router, thru a ethernet-HomePlug adapter, over powerline, back thru another HomePlug-ethernet adapter, to the serial-to-ethernet box (and from there thru a serial cable to the TiVo). Although it is using part of the same network that the host PC will use for PPP to TiVo, the remote-serial part is functionally separate. One of the nice things about ethernet is its ability to share the media with multiple uses like that.

Gefen DVI Switch, Toshiba D-KR2 DVD-R
k2ue is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-19-2004, 07:48 AM   #64 (Print)
Cornholio

Question PPP

Hmmm,

So I could connect via my wired connection right now. What I would need is the serial to ethernet adapter at the wall jack behind the Tivo?? Sounds pretty cool... Everything is done through the setup on the computer, to point to the serial to ethernet adapter that is behind the Tivo???

Just making sure I understand this correctly, I'm hitting Google to check for a walk through of how to set the PPP connection up correctly but if anyone has link to a good walk through that would be great!

In the meantime I am still trying to get the Tivo to dial out through my Linksys PAP2 somehow seems more people with the Motorola ATA are having success at connecting...
Old 11-27-2004, 03:08 AM   #65 (Print)
blitzfeld

Quote:
Originally posted by blitzfeld
I just purchased the Linksys PAP2. Initially, my series 2 Philips DTivo would not dial out. But after I entered ",#340" as the prefix, I was able to do successful test call and daily call. I will post a call once it makes a successful call on its own.

Just an update, my unit has been making successful calls on its on and I haven't had to do anything other than the slow down code. I am very happy to make the switch to Vonage.
blitzfeld is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-27-2004, 05:56 AM   #66 (Print)
Cornholio

Note Vonage

Mine has been dialing up to, as well as my other DTV receivers now... I had to use the reverse DSL filter, #034 and a NY number...
Old 11-27-2004, 02:10 PM   #67 (Print)
Chesney09

Still dialing ini with no problems..

I have been dialing in through Vonage and the Motorola adapter now for close to three weeks and neems to be no problems...

I'll be ditching the land line soon.
Chesney09 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2004, 09:28 PM   #68 (Print)
Xipper

Well, all was going well for my series1 DTivo until it became annoying to not be able to access some DMTF/touch tone activated phone services (bank, conference call services, etc). I called Vonage many times on it, finally they said that it was the Motorolla ATA.

I got a Linksys RT31P2 today and connect it up. I perform one last test call via the Motorola, and it worked (as did the regular daily call last night). I connect everything to the Linksys just as the Motorola was configured, I test dial to my bank and it works. One problem solved, I think...but then I go to do a test all with Tivo, and so far nothing works.

I've tried the dial prefix (,#019 and ,#034) with no luck. Tried to manually set bandwidth saver to 90k as well as doing the *99.

I've tried everything I can think of on both the Series 1 and the Series 2 with no luck. I guess I have to make the decision between the DTivo dialing out and using my cell for all of my conference calls or not having DTivo dial out.

I am not sure I see much evidence of success for others with the Linksys hardware and DTivo. I will see if I can find a super cheap external modem to test with. Anyone have any advice if they have had luck?
Xipper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2004, 09:56 PM   #69 (Print)
ttiger72

Stopped working, got it working again

Well I was using the ,#034,*99 on my Tivo (no idea if it's series 1 or 2-think it has USB but I am not sure) I got it in the begining of 2004. I had no issues dialing out since I got it installed, and then middle of Nov it stopped working. No matter what I did I couldn't get it to connect anymore.

I then changed my dialing options to just ,#019 and voila works now...made 2 test calls and a daily call and so far no problems.

Edited to add: Motorola adapter.

Last edited by ttiger72 : 12-15-2004 at 03:06 PM.
ttiger72 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2004, 10:43 AM   #70 (Print)
natgas

Vonage Problems

I have the Hughes DVR40; I haven't made a call for 98 days (since the day I switched to Vonage); I have tried every code, every combination of codes to no avail; the closest I've come is using code *99--this always gives me a "modem handshake failure"; any other code or combination gives me a "failure to connect"; it is very frustrating and I don't understand why Vonage doesn't come up with a solution! I have talked with tech support and they are no help; looks like I'm going back to SBC for this and other problems I am having with dropped packets, inability to logon to the vonage website to check voicemail, etc.
natgas is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2004, 06:25 PM   #71 (Print)
jk250

I just got 2 of the Samsung SIR-S4040R and could not make the setup call through vonage until I used the ,#034.. then it worked like a charm on first try for both.
jk250 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-03-2004, 06:30 PM   #72 (Print)
Xipper

Please state if you have a Linksys, Motorola, or Cisco for the phone adapter/ATA.

Thanks,
-r
Xipper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2004, 11:42 AM   #73 (Print)
super dave
SIRIUSLY!

I have an SAT-T60 and have tried all of the codes that I have read about to no avail. My Vonage account is new, so I am using the Linksys RT31P2 router. I called Vonage and they changed my packet size and still no go. When I am out today I'll pick up a DSL filter and give it a go, otherwise I'll just tolerate the nag.

When I listen on another phone I can verify that I am connecting to the number, so it isn't a dial problem. The 2 devices just don't ever seem to find each other, I can hear the mating calls, but they never hook up.

I know when I get another DTiVo in a few months that it will be able to use my Broadband, but I still like my modified T60, and I really don't want to spend $100 to get it just to dial in. Maybe after the RT31P2 has been out for a while Vonage will come up with a work around.

Until then I will just tolerate the nags, unless someone has another suggestion that might just work...

F Jackie!
super dave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2004, 03:27 PM   #74 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

Quote:
Originally posted by super dave
I know when I get another DTiVo in a few months that it will be able to use my Broadband

You do, eh? What makes you think so?

Old 12-11-2004, 09:25 PM   #75 (Print)
super dave
SIRIUSLY!

Quote:
Originally posted by stevel
You do, eh? What makes you think so?
Everything I have been reading on the other forums seems to indicate that the new units in the spring will ship with 4.01b and be able to use the network. If not I'll wait longer, until Vonage and Linksys figure out how to make the router work. I'm not going back to basic POTS for twice the money.

Edit to add, see this latest post, there is hope on using the BB instead of a phone line for a new box, so I only have to get my SAT-T60 to work through Vonage..
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=210729

F Jackie!

Last edited by super dave : 12-12-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:22 AM   #76 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

Any "new units" will ship with version 6.x, like the R10 that just came out. It does not support networking, nor have I seen anything to imply that DirecTV is going to enable networking any time soon.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:43 AM   #77 (Print)
archer75

Send a message via ICQ to archer75 Send a message via AIM to archer75 Send a message via Yahoo to archer75
Just so you know, if this hase'nt been covered. Direct Tivo does NOT need a phone line, despite what they tell you. It will work fine without ever making a phone call.
archer75 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2004, 02:18 PM   #78 (Print)
dixonbm

Send a message via AIM to dixonbm Send a message via Yahoo to dixonbm
Quote:
Originally posted by archer75
Just so you know, if this hase'nt been covered. Direct Tivo does NOT need a phone line, despite what they tell you. It will work fine without ever making a phone call.

It has been my experience that you do need a phone line to do the guided setup for DirecTivos. Without the guided setup you cannot use the "Thumbs UP, Thumbs Down" buttons, nor can you schedule programs to record. However you can pause, rewind, and fast forward programs (fast forward after being paused for a bit that is). All other directv features, such as the guide, also work fine.

Luckily I only had to endure this for a few weeks until I got my Tivo to work over vonage.

Ultimately you miss a big chunk of what Tivo can do if you haven't compeleted guided setup.
dixonbm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2004, 05:50 PM   #79 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

There is no Guided Setup for DTiVos. The authorization to record comes over the satellite link. DTiVos will operate happily without a phone line connected.

Old 12-12-2004, 08:34 PM   #80 (Print)
dixonbm

Send a message via AIM to dixonbm Send a message via Yahoo to dixonbm
Quote:
Originally posted by stevel
There is no Guided Setup for DTiVos. The authorization to record comes over the satellite link. DTiVos will operate happily without a phone line connected.

Maybe I'm calling it by the wrong name. Regardless, without the initial dial in a Directivo can NOT perform the functions I detailed above. I am speaking from my personal experience with my series 2 Hughes Directivo.
dixonbm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2004, 09:04 PM   #81 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

And I from my experience with Philips DSR704 - no callin is required for full function.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:33 PM   #82 (Print)
parrothead72

Finally, Samsung DirecTiVo connected thru Vonage!

I was on the phone w/Vonage for over an hour with multiple techs and finally got it nailed (at least for now). You need to use an access # in the 212 area code (NYC). There was one access # listed for NYC, two in Manhatten. I used the NYC number.

No prefix, no *99, no *70...just the phone # with both the 'dial tone' and 'availability' set to 'yes'.

Hope this helps some of you who were driven to near madness like I was!
parrothead72 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 07:20 AM   #83 (Print)
Cornholio

Note success

Kept fiddling with the settings and used this and was able to make the test call and the daily call back to back on my Vonage connection trhough my Linksys PAP2 using the internal modem...

Phillips DSR7000R/17
The number dialed 1-212-920-3005 (Manhattan North)
Set Dialing Prefix ,#034
Set Call Waiting Prefix *99
Phone Availability Off
Dial Tone Detection On

Used a DSL filter in reverse to the Tivo... (why this works I don't know)
I had to choose a the NY number to have successful connections calling any numbers from here in CT did not work at all no matter what settings I tried, even the external modem.

I have been keeping an eye on the log and it has been successful everytime after I did this...
Old 12-13-2004, 09:41 AM   #84 (Print)
super dave
SIRIUSLY!

I cannot change the phone number used for calling in because the machine wants to dial out and get new ones and it can't connect. I tried to manually put it in the area where you put the call waiting, but this causes a busy signal.

F Jackie!

Last edited by super dave : 12-13-2004 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:55 PM   #85 (Print)
archer75

Send a message via ICQ to archer75 Send a message via AIM to archer75 Send a message via Yahoo to archer75
Quote:
Originally posted by dixonbm
It has been my experience that you do need a phone line to do the guided setup for DirecTivos. Without the guided setup you cannot use the "Thumbs UP, Thumbs Down" buttons, nor can you schedule programs to record. However you can pause, rewind, and fast forward programs (fast forward after being paused for a bit that is). All other directv features, such as the guide, also work fine.

Luckily I only had to endure this for a few weeks until I got my Tivo to work over vonage.

Ultimately you miss a big chunk of what Tivo can do if you haven't compeleted guided setup.

Mine does everything without a phoneline. It has full functionality.
archer75 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2004, 12:32 PM   #86 (Print)
jfalkingham

Send a message via AIM to jfalkingham
Direct Tivo - does not need to dial in?

I did the single worst crime in the crazy tech world we live.... I moved to a new technology without seeing the forest through the trees.

I moved to vonage and have lost connectivity by my SAT-T60 and DSR6000 (series 1). Sometimes they do a test connection (or at least say they dial, but never connect) other times it just says phone unavailable or busy. I have one of the Linksys RT32P2-VD routers, that I have setup behind my primary router (NAT/DHCP disabled, with WAN to LAN patch cable). The phone works great but my Tivo does not like it... all the codes *99, *70, ,#019 make no difference.

Is it true my Tivo's do not need to call out? I think that this will kill the opporunity to use PPV or my NFL sunday ticket, I thought it needed to dial out. Also, doesn't it need to dial out for the program guide and starz on demand, etc?

I am either getting a measured POTS line, or simply living in bliss knowing my Tivo's do not need to dial out.

Your thoughts are appreaciated ;-)

jfalkingham is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-20-2004, 04:33 PM   #87 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

DTiVos do not need to dial in. You can still order PPV from the web site. NFL Sunday Ticket is another story, and probably does require a phone connection.

You will get a nag screen once a day after 30 days of no calls (unless you hack it), but otherwise no ill effects.

Some have luck with an external modem - you may want to try that. Or try a DSL filter.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:43 PM   #88 (Print)
super dave
SIRIUSLY!

I have read several posts from NFL Ticket owners not having a phone connection and not having any problems.

F Jackie!
Old 12-31-2004, 04:55 PM   #89 (Print)
ChuckBryan

Success! (Almost)

I am from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, using Cox High Speed Internet. I have the HDVR2 (DirectTV Tivo), the PAP2 (Linksys for Vonage Service) and a WRT54G Router.

I was a regular DVR subscriber until I cut the cord with Verizon. I gave up on trying to get Tivo to work back in October. Since I had some time over Christmas break, I decided to give it another try (of course, this meant a call to DirectTv to get the service turned back on).

I think the biggest thing that helped was configuring my Router's QoS settings. My PAP2 is plugged into port 2 on the router, so I enabled QoS and gave that port a high priority.

Next (When I say next, I will not include everything that did not work), I used the 877 area code and the ",#019" code. I was able to get phone numbers, and of the three that was returned, I selected the one for 1-877.

Finally, when I originally was working on this in October, I did contact Vonage. I believe that they set the packets settings down. Others have refered to the exact terminology.

So, I will see if it continutes to work.

Thanks to the community for the tips.

Chuck

Follow up: I tried with the ",#034" and this worked as well. The test call succeeds, but, I get cut off during the downloading of the update on the daily call.

Last edited by ChuckBryan : 01-01-2005 at 08:34 AM.
ChuckBryan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-23-2005, 10:56 PM   #90 (Print)
UsefulThings

Quick info for people troubleshooting new Series 2 initial setup using Vonage VoIP...

After reading this (and other) foums, I hit upon a setup that worked:
Dial Prefix: ,#019,*70,*90,

It took two tries to get a successful download. The first attempt failed due to being "interrupted."

I will switch to my USB Ethernet adapter as soon as I have time to set it up. I used the VoIP line because that is the only phone I have and initial setup requires a phone.

Some people have suggested #041 uses the USB adapter. That would have been my next course of action if the VoIP had not worked.
UsefulThings is offline Report Bad Post Report Post