TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2004, 10:36 AM   #91 (Print)
cpalma

Sorry, I meant the final finish line (in Texas).
cpalma is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 10:38 AM   #92 (Print)
kyote
Who me?

Send a message via ICQ to kyote Send a message via AIM to kyote Send a message via MSN to kyote Send a message via Yahoo to kyote
Yep, it was twice. So hilarious. You know whoever was editing this had to have been laughing their a** off when they decided to do it. It was just too much.

Quote:
Originally posted by jradosh
Had to laugh at Colin's farewell speech. "I've enjoyed seeing the world and experiencing other cultures" Ha!

I'm so glad for C&K and even forgive them the "lie" they told. Brandon and NichOOl were such naive players... they deserve to be lied to. And if you don't know what vertigo means...

Favorite moment...
Colin and Kristie are climbing the hill just ahead of Brandon and NichOOl. Brandon says "picture Jesus at the top of the hill". Cut to Colin saying "think of a million dollars". Interesting juxtapositioning. Kudos CBS.

And then Brandon mentioned Jesus and they cut to a shot of the sky as if to say "there He is" or something. Cracked me up each time they did that (twice I think).

Great finale

www.littlehappybunnies.com
Blog
kyote is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #93 (Print)
kyote
Who me?

Send a message via ICQ to kyote Send a message via AIM to kyote Send a message via MSN to kyote Send a message via Yahoo to kyote
Isn't it against the law to drive on the shoulder anyways? Can they win by breaking the law?

Quote:
Originally posted by Inundated
Hah.

Well, B&N deserved it, frankly...mildly following Chip and Kim like a couple of lost puppies. You're near the end of the race, folks...you have to figure stuff out on your own!

I just KNEW the Bowling Moms were done when I saw the climb up the rocks. And I just KNEW Colin was gonna come bounce up the line up to the top like he was running it. But...it all came down to that 2 hour delayed flight out of Calgary...and Chip & Kim's ability to find that out first, ironically, because they were delayed.

C&C thought they had it all planned...their personal driver, presumably willing to risk anything short of death and likely promised a big payday at the end. (Are there rules about getting extra help along the way...with a promise to be paid back big if they win the big prize?) They figured they'd send their carry on stuff ahead. They were "dialed in". But as Chip noted...you'd think they'd book more than one flight! That may have been the biggest mistake that cost Team Evil the big bucks.

Blog
Old 09-22-2004, 10:43 AM   #94 (Print)
scrabbler

I was also wondering about the luge. I have a feeling that the other teams probably had to do it more than once. Either that or B&N and C&C should look into training for the next olympics, because they have some natural talent!

I would have been so torn on that task. I've always wanted to try the luge, but I love biking and the snow biking looked like a lot of fun too.
scrabbler is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 10:43 AM   #95 (Print)
ccouger
Evil Minion

Send a message via Yahoo to ccouger
Just wanted to mention that though Kim was a nonentity as far as doing the challenges, she was the support person of their team. The kinds of boring details, like packing the bags, reading the maps, taking care of the money, maybe getting the food for the two of them, all of those things are not very exciting to watch. So by not being a drama queen, Kim didn't get a lot of time on camera. But Kim being so low key like that also helped the two of them to enjoy the trip. Chip did the challenges but he also didn't have to listen to her complain or deal with any teary fits. And she was right there with him when they had to do the challenges together, with no complaints. Being the reliable good tempered support person is just as important to the team.
ccouger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 10:53 AM   #96 (Print)
pmyers

Send a message via AIM to pmyers
Quote:
Originally posted by ccouger
Just wanted to mention that though Kim was a nonentity as far as doing the challenges, she was the support person of their team. The kinds of boring details, like packing the bags, reading the maps, taking care of the money, maybe getting the food for the two of them, all of those things are not very exciting to watch. So by not being a drama queen, Kim didn't get a lot of time on camera. But Kim being so low key like that also helped the two of them to enjoy the trip. Chip did the challenges but he also didn't have to listen to her complain or deal with any teary fits. And she was right there with him when they had to do the challenges together, with no complaints. Being the reliable good tempered support person is just as important to the team.

very well put. I also remember reading where she was the one to always book the tickets/ask for help/negotiate/etc.
pmyers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 10:53 AM   #97 (Print)
Jeff_in_Bklyn

I only with at the end they used a "drive yourself" to the finish instead of relying so much on cabs. Like the one in Queens,NY where they had to get to the park themselves and one team got lost or delayed by missing a train.
Jeff_in_Bklyn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 10:54 AM   #98 (Print)
kyote
Who me?

Re: It's True

He can say he was yelling at the ox all he wants but it's plain to see from the website he wasn't. at least, in my opinion.

i didn't see the early show this morning. maybe i can find it online somewhere.

Quote:
Originally posted by etexlady
Homefrontfan:

Yes, he did, on the Early Show. Count on those two to persist in keeping the focus on themselves. This was supposed to be Chip and Kim's big moment where they get the million but here was C/C trying to "one-up" everyone else.

Brandon and Nicole acted rather strange......maybe they are no longer together. They were the only ones who had no friends or family with them. The moms were gracious and said they were proud of their efforts. They had their husbands with them. Colin said they got "bad editing"....yeah, sure. He also said he was yelling at the ox when he said "I hate you." Colin's mom was with them.

Chip and Kim were so excited. They had his sisters, their lawyer, and no telling who else with them. I didn't see their children if they were there.

Edit to add: Colin needs to find a new hairstyle...his hair looked awful on The Early Show. But Brandon's looked even worse....longer and bushed out all over.

Blog
Old 09-22-2004, 10:57 AM   #99 (Print)
kyote
Who me?

Exactly. And how fair is that? If I was C/C I would have been annoyed that CBS was doing that. I'd be like, "hello, we earned this. why are you helping them out for?"

Quote:
Originally posted by pmyers
I so wanted C&C to get pulled over by the cops!
I couldn't believe that Brandon got mad at Chip for "lying" about being the right flag...
I thought the checked backage was really funny.
I do give props to Colin for having that car pre-arranged. Had they all been on the same flight that would have easily won them the game.

I did think it was "fishy" when they said they were pulling people off the flight to get them on.....you can't tell me CBS wasn't paying people to come off that flight to keep the race close as possible...

Blog
Old 09-22-2004, 11:01 AM   #100 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Send a message via AIM to Inundated
Quote:
Originally posted by fmowry
Well it is called a "Race". Colin and Christie would have been a day ahead of the other teams if it weren't for plane delays or "hours of operation" delays on EVERY episode. They always built a big lead just to watch everyone catch up at the airport.

Yeah, but that's just the way things line up.

The core problem in this regard is that the teams automatically leave 12 hours after they arrive at the pit stop...which has the prospect, a lot of times, of putting them out there at 3 AM or so. Now, if they A) deprived everyone of group sleep at the pit stop, or B) built in a different delay factor (say, 18 hours?), things may have been different. But even this wouldn't be hard and fast...there have been legs where they get in in late evening, which puts them on the road at 7 or 8 in the morning the next day.

But in general, in the real world, not many planes fly at 3 AM, and not much is open at 3 AM. You might remember one exception, where they found a 24 hour travel agent...in India, I believe. I do NOT agree with "tampering with hours of operation", for example, just because it'd help the "strongest and fastest" teams, or those who'd built up big leads.
Inundated is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 11:10 AM   #101 (Print)
TivoDaddy
I'm back

Another hooray for Chip & Kim. I'm so glad they won.

Comments on scenes nobody else has mentioned yet:
-Linda's voice was so grating as she kept yelling to Karen going up that cliff. Ugh.

-I kept expecting the "Endless Love" song to come on when Brandon & Nicole went snorkeling.

-I couldn't believe that Chip didn't crush Kim on the luge. That was way too funny.

-At the finish line with all the eliminated racers lining the end, I could have sworn that that wasn't Allison with Donny. I also got a little sad seeing Jim & Marsha, as they were one of my favorite teams early on.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:11 AM   #102 (Print)
WinBear
Still Unwritten

Send a message via ICQ to WinBear Send a message via AIM to WinBear Send a message via Yahoo to WinBear
Quote:
Originally posted by djbrown
Ditto here. Though did notice that one of the supposed shots from inside the car going from the airport to Ft. Worth along 183 was heading in the opposite direction. Upcoming exits were Story, MacArthur and O'Connor, which means the shot was in a car heading east .

They clearly came back to Dallas on 183 since we saw them on southbound I-35E at Oak Lawn (the Infomart was quite prominent on the left). Editing is about choosing the best footage to tell the story, so it would have only bugged me if they were using footage from another city to represent DFW.

Also, where is all this "finally the good guys win" coming from? Almost every season of The Amazing Race has had the good guys win. Zach & Flo were not the villains their season and I don't think Chip & Reichen were the villains their season either.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:21 AM   #103 (Print)
Snappa77
RUDEBWOY

Quote:
Originally posted by WinBear
.......Also, where is all this "finally the good guys win" coming from? Almost every season of The Amazing Race has had the good guys win. Zach & Flo were not the villains their season.......

WHAT SHOW WERE YOU WATCHING!?!

2 R10's - cuz the R15 is SofaKing bad
Snappa77 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 11:22 AM   #104 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

About the whole "Colin and Christie ran the race the best, so they deserved to win" thing:

Well, no. They clearly had long leads at points, and sometimes those leads evaporated. But they messed up or got bogged down frequently. The "My Ox is Broken" scene is one example of that, as is the near-arrest of Colin. They did not work together well as a team on more than one occasion, and that cost them. This isn't a race in the sense that everyone's just rushing off as fast as they can like at the beginning...it's a competition which involves many things other than who can run the fastest or be the most physically fit.

And if we're comparing this to a footrace...well, Colin and Christie slowed down at the end by not taking care of all the bases...not to mention that whole checking baggage thing. They seemed to have a handle on doing stuff that would give them an edge - the hired town car - but dropped the ball on the airport stuff this time. Considering what all the teams have been through with airline delays and changes, it would have been prudent to lock up or at very least be aware of every single option Calgary-to-Dallas, so a two hour delay wouldn't faze them. They'd have been on the plane with Chip & Kim, gained 10 minutes, and quite possibly have won the whole thing with Mr. Scary as their driver.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:23 AM   #105 (Print)
RegBarc
MJITKOP

Send a message via AIM to RegBarc
Quote:
Originally posted by Snappa77
Hahahaha.

This is my new favorite reality show. I admit, I didn't watch the first few seasons, but now I am hooked. This is the best idead that CBS has ever come up with.

James, the Merciful's books

"Man cannot make principles; he can only discover them." - Thomas Paine
RegBarc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 11:32 AM   #106 (Print)
martinp13
Indeed, hootie hoo!

Send a message via AIM to martinp13 Send a message via Yahoo to martinp13
I was so glad C/K won... didn't want to see either of the others get it.

JETarpon had it right regarding Chip's lie to Brandon. I don't blame him for lying like that, but I instead have answered "Is that the right one?" with "I don't know. Why don't you go check for yourself?" Then you don't lie, you don't divulge the information, and you b!tch-slap the other guy for being a lazy bum all at once!

I watched with Loubob and some friends, and we started up a drinking game where you had to drink if Brandon and Nicole invoked God's name. We even had a special Moses drink at one point! Unfortunately, we were not prepared for all the piousness and ran out. We were going to include Chip and Kim's "God" talk, but we decided Chip only did that during a very physical challenge, so it seemed more sincere.

Did anyone else applaud when C/C's kayak overturned after the climb? Our whole group did. Then we just about laughed ourselves to death.

Like djbrown, I noticed the "Story Rd" sign when they were headed "to Fort Worth". Yeah, they cheated on their footage, but at least it was the DFW area.

I think the lookout platforms in the maze are only reachable from special corridors (so parents can go up there and watch their kids in the maze without having to go in themselves). However, I would have boosted Kim up there so she could guide me through. I was impressed at how Colin navigated the maze, but that could have been editing. Since I work just up the street from the Stockyards, I was surprised that I didn't hear anything about the Race being filmed there. Of course, they were there about an hour total.

There seemed to be no Yield on the last two legs, and that was where you would USE it!

Old 09-22-2004, 11:37 AM   #107 (Print)
WinBear
Still Unwritten

Send a message via ICQ to WinBear Send a message via AIM to WinBear Send a message via Yahoo to WinBear
Quote:
Originally posted by Snappa77

That season the villainy was spread around differently. Only half of a couple of the teams were aggravating, like Ian of Teri and Ian. Flo was only annoyingly whiny, but Zach's unending patience with her was quite heroic.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:53 AM   #108 (Print)
devdogaz
Member in Law

Send a message via AIM to devdogaz
I was really bummed that C/C didn't win as they were my favorite team throughout the race. However, Chip and Kim were clearly the nicest of the bunch and their interactions with each other was much more mature. I was really rooting for C/C and think it kind of sucks that C/K got an advantage by finishing the snow challenges last, but at the same time, C/C dropped the ball by not booking every possible flight and by checking their luggage. Congrats to Chip & Kim.

As for Colin's proposal today on The Early Show: it did not take anything away from Chip & Kim. He waited until the dude had done all the interviewing of the winners and then was interviewing each of the other 3 teams. It's possible his stunt took a little camera time away from Brandon/Nicole and the moms, but that's fine with me. The less I have to hear Linda's voice, the better. I was really happy for Colin & Christie as they truly looked like they love each other and my guess is that the editing really did make him out to be worse than he really is. But that's a debate not really worth getting into.

As for putting a Yield on the final two legs: I am very glad they didn't do this. That would have been extremely lame, as the whole point of the final episode is for the final teams to be as close together as possible to create the most suspense.

The finale of the last season was filmed right here in Tempe (Go Devils!!!) and Phoenix and I never heard anything about it either.

And finally, what about that challenge that the dude on the other board photographed from his secret vantage point? I wonder where that fit into the whole scheme of things and why they didn't show it. It would be cool to see all the challenges they didn't show, just to see what kind of things they came up with.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:56 AM   #109 (Print)
kyote
Who me?

I was living in Tempe at the time and didn't remember hearing about it either. they snuck in and snuck out and that was it.

I was wondering about those photos the canadian took too. I didn't tell my wife about knowing that the bowling moms getting eliminated until after the show. then we went back to see if we could figure out what happened. i didn't see anything remotely like the pictures he took.

Quote:
Originally posted by devdogaz
I was really bummed that C/C didn't win as they were my favorite team throughout the race. However, Chip and Kim were clearly the nicest of the bunch and their interactions with each other was much more mature. I was really rooting for C/C and think it kind of sucks that C/K got an advantage by finishing the snow challenges last, but at the same time, C/C dropped the ball by not booking every possible flight and by checking their luggage. Congrats to Chip & Kim.

As for Colin's proposal today on The Early Show: it did not take anything away from Chip & Kim. He waited until the dude had done all the interviewing of the winners and then was interviewing each of the other 3 teams. It's possible his stunt took a little camera time away from Brandon/Nicole and the moms, but that's fine with me. The less I have to hear Linda's voice, the better. I was really happy for Colin & Christie as they truly looked like they love each other and my guess is that the editing really did make him out to be worse than he really is. But that's a debate not really worth getting into.

As for putting a Yield on the final two legs: I am very glad they didn't do this. That would have been extremely lame, as the whole point of the final episode is for the final teams to be as close together as possible to create the most suspense.

The finale of the last season was filmed right here in Tempe (Go Devils!!!) and Phoenix and I never heard anything about it either.

And finally, what about that challenge that the dude on the other board photographed from his secret vantage point? I wonder where that fit into the whole scheme of things and why they didn't show it. It would be cool to see all the challenges they didn't show, just to see what kind of things they came up with.

Blog
Old 09-22-2004, 11:59 AM   #110 (Print)
DLiquid
MPC User

Quote:
Originally posted by ccouger
Yea! Chip and Kim! Yea! Finally, a show where the good guys win! They enjoyed the race, they treated the people of the other countries with respect, and they treated each other with respect and love. I'm so glad they won this.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Hooray for Chip and Kim!
DLiquid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #111 (Print)
montag
26+6=1

Who the hell is this Kim everyone is talking about?
montag is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 12:08 PM   #112 (Print)
TeeSee
Tiiin ROOF. Rusted!

Send a message via Yahoo to TeeSee
Quote:
Originally posted by TivoDaddy
Comments on scenes nobody else has mentioned yet:
-Linda's voice was so grating as she kept yelling to Karen going up that cliff. Ugh.

-I kept expecting the "Endless Love" song to come on when Brandon & Nicole went snorkeling.

-I couldn't believe that Chip didn't crush Kim on the luge. That was way too funny.

-At the finish line with all the eliminated racers lining the end, I could have sworn that that wasn't Allison with Donny. I also got a little sad seeing Jim & Marsha, as they were one of my favorite teams early on.

I've got one more:

My laugh out loud moment was when Brandon was shown looking through binoculars with one lens cap still on. The shot of the beach that was supposedly what he was seeing showed a circular view on the left and nothing but black on the rest of the TV screen.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:13 PM   #113 (Print)
TeeSee
Tiiin ROOF. Rusted!

Send a message via Yahoo to TeeSee
Quote:
Originally posted by montag
Who the hell is this Kim everyone is talking about?

Are we being a tad sarcastic about what many see as a lack of contribution from Chip's wife, or do you really not know? 'Cause I'm not telling you.

Last edited by TeeSee : 09-22-2004 at 12:28 PM.
TeeSee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 12:17 PM   #114 (Print)
pmyers

How anybody could think that Kim didn't contribute to that TEAM is beyond me.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #115 (Print)
DeDondeEs

Quote:
I so wanted C&C to get pulled over by the cops!
I couldn't believe that Brandon got mad at Chip for "lying" about being the right flag...
I thought the checked backage was really funny.
I do give props to Colin for having that car pre-arranged. Had they all been on the same flight that would have easily won them the game.

I did think it was "fishy" when they said they were pulling people off the flight to get them on.....you can't tell me CBS wasn't paying people to come off that flight to keep the race close as possible...

I wanted to see them get pulled over too. I think a team should be penalized for blatently breaking the law or instructing a driver to do so. I am amazed there haven't been any big wrecks.
The towncar was a good idea. I thought we were going to see Colin and Christie driving over the lawn and pull right up to the finish line with that crazy driver while Chip and Kim were fumbling with their bags.
DeDondeEs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 12:23 PM   #116 (Print)
JFriday

Quote:
Originally posted by TivoDaddy
-At the finish line with all the eliminated racers lining the end, I could have sworn that that wasn't Allison with Donny.

Me and my wife wondered the same thing. They never showed a close up of them.
JFriday is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 12:26 PM   #117 (Print)
pmyers

That driver thing had to be REAL CLOSE to breaking rules if it didn't outright break them. I know I remember that when they drive themselves they have to stay within the law as I remember a team getting penalized for speeding. I swear I also remember where they couldn't promise anybody money later for helping them and you know they had to do that to that driver.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #118 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Quote:
That driver thing had to be REAL CLOSE to breaking rules if it didn't outright break them. I know I remember that when they drive themselves they have to stay within the law as I remember a team getting penalized for speeding. I swear I also remember where they couldn't promise anybody money later for helping them and you know they had to do that to that driver.

Thanks for clearing up the last question - assuming your memory is correct. But in thinking about it...it's probably obvious to the driver that they're in a competition for a large prize, even if he wasn't aware that TAR gives a $1 million final prize. So maybe it was *implied*...or maybe he just figured out that they'd be grateful and rich after it

As far as the speeding team...did they get pulled over, or did the show just penalize them because of what was on the speedometer? If a team went 110 MPH down a freeway and no local cops caught 'em doing so, would they get penalized?
Old 09-22-2004, 12:50 PM   #119 (Print)
Rassilon

Quote:
Originally posted by martinp13
I watched with Loubob and some friends, and we started up a drinking game where you had to drink if Brandon and Nicole invoked God's name. We even had a special Moses drink at one point! Unfortunately, we were not prepared for all the piousness and ran out. We were going to include Chip and Kim's "God" talk, but we decided Chip only did that during a very physical challenge, so it seemed more sincere.

lol, I'm glad Im not the only one that did this, me and my friend started drinking for brandon&nicole's invoking god's name also, tho we also tossed in a rule for anytime someone told a cabbie to go faster, lol.. that one was a poor choice
Rassilon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2004, 12:54 PM   #120 (Print)
Inundated
Barely Tolerated

Quote:
Originally posted by Rassilon
lol, I'm glad Im not the only one that did this, me and my friend started drinking for brandon&nicole's invoking god's name also, tho we also tossed in a rule for anytime someone told a cabbie to go faster, lol.. that one was a poor choice

You two must have been blasted by night's end...